Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• PCORVEY, Wednesday my son's 91 Ranger ignition locked up the same way. Unfortunatly the parts guy at NAPA told him to drill out the ignition key cylinder, BIG MISTAKE! now I am preparing to see what I can do to get it the mess out. Did you get a chance to replace yours? any suggested starting point? Thanks
    RADIOFLYR ;)
  • I have several electrical problems:

1. My 99 Ranger used to give me an audible warning when I left my headlights on after turning the engine off. (I've already drained the battery once.)

2. The dome light does not turn on when I open the driver's side door, but will turn on when the passenger side door is open.

3. I turned off the passenger air bag when my niece was riding in my truck. Now I cannot get it to turn back on.

These problems did not occur at the same time, but have accumulated over several years.

Suggestions on how to fix these?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Number 1 and 2 may be related. The 'door open' switch is on the lock mechanism (it is not a 'push button' on the door frame) inside the door panel. You will have to remove the door panel to get to this switch. It is on the linkage near the outside door handle. Replace the switch or you might be able toclean it with WD40 or electrical spray cleaner.

If you get this working, this door open switch may trigger the headlights on warning 'dinging'. I'm not sure of this, but maybe....

No idea about 3. Maybe it is just the switch, which should not be much to replace.
  • I tried to pull the panel off, but the screw keeping the manual window opener has a screw with a star shaped screw head slot. Do I need to go to the dealer for a special tool? I was able to see the switch you mentioned,
    Dealer, no. This is a Torx head screw. Go anywhere and buy you a set of Torx Head screwdrivers in various sizes.
  • fotd1fotd1 Posts: 2
    Love this old truck, but now it's cold and now doesn't always start. Plenty of fuel pressure; spark and injectors fire intermittently when cranking. PCM checks out in another vehicle. Sounds either like a bad sensor or wiring/ground issue. Any clues where to look?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    You may want to read through the Ford Ranger Starting Problems discussion to see if someone had the same problem and resolved it.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• I have a 98 ranger with 172k miles. recently my wipers have been coming on for reason that I can tell. they usually come on at high speed, the go to slow speed, and sometimes to intermitten. sometimes I can make them go off by turning the switch on and off, but that doesn't always work. lately I just pull the relay out and put it in the glove box. I've replaced the wiper motor, the multi function switch and the relay but the problem is only getting worse. what's left? anyone else have this problem and, especially a solution?
  • My fuel gauge stopped working. I have a full tank and it's reading "E"! All other gauges and lights in the dash are working. Is there a seperate fuse for the gas gauge? Or maybe the sending unit is bad?? Does anyone have a schematic that shows the fuel gauge? Any suggestions are welcome.
    (1994 4cyl. Splash regular cab)
    Thanks,
    Mark
  • Hey everyone! I've just brought my ranger out of a five year retirement for the sake of fuel mileage. It ran when I parked it but now I have no power to the fuel pump in the tank. My Chiltons manual shows a fuel pump relay but I can't seem to trace it down. Is the relay in the pump itself? All fuses are good and I can't find any bad wires. Does anyone have an idea on where to look for the problem? I'm out of ideas!

Thanks!
    Laynrbr
    The relays are usually beside or inside the fuse box under the hood. There may be 2 or 3 of these, many times they are identical. Fuel pump, power windows, etc. I would first pull all of them and clean the contacts. Then if still dead, start switching them around. If the fuel pump starts, you still don't know which one is bad, but you do know one is bad and you need to buy a new one.
  • Thanks for the information bolivar! I'll check it out.
  • On occassion my 99 Ranger XLT 4L headlights begin to flicker on startup and at idle. When I turn on the headlamps the flickering stops.

Any ideas?
  • kolijakolija Posts: 1
    1992 ford ranger 2.3. takes alot of cranking to start, but when it starts it runs great. check engine light comes on after starting and tach is not reading accurate. Any body else ever have the same problem?
  • Hey all,
    Today my running lights stopped working, I have low and high beams. For a day or two prior to them stop working, the running lights would flicker on vehicle start-up.

Is this a fuse?

Thks in advance,

Dave
    With your other message, a wild guess would be a bad headlight switch???

Or bad multi-switch. This is the the switch on turn signal stalk. I can be used to dim your headlights, right?
  • I have a 2002 bought in the summer of 2004. Every year when it gets below around 40 in temp the voltage guage wont go over about a quarter for 10min or maybe 10 miles then it jumps to normal about half way up the guage. Had the ford house look at it, they replace alternator, later the batter all in the first year. The problem persists. This year Im driving over a hour to and from work. One day it didnt kick up and i tried to get it home knowing I was running the batter down. Got it home, replaced the alternator. Battery was still good. Problem still remained. Replaced two relays. Problem still remains. Mechanic friend bypassed all wiring from alternator to battery with additional wire. Engaged alternator immediately. Is there another relay? Could it be the wiring? I do have some internal electrical problems also like dome light staying on. Cd player and its ghost. Could it be the brain? HELP,,,IM SICK OF THIS TRUCK
  • I took to checking and replacing the relay switch (main control box under hood) for the washer pump and its is now working fine. Weird thing, before I touched the old relay I started the truck up and the running lights were working.

Now I am confused.
  • The running lights are still flickering, when I turn on the headlights no flickering is observed and all lights (fog, high, low beams) work.

Any suggestions?
  • esmithesmith Posts: 13
    Are you still having the fuel gauge problem as of this date?