Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen GTI Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    More than likely the drain hose in the bottom of the evaporator case (behind the glove box) is kinked or plugged. Locate the hose and gently clear it with compressed air. The hose should end in an opening in the floor board and stick out about an inch to the outside to went the moisture which is created by the A/C system. If it's missing then you need a plastic or rubber hose approx. 10 inch long and maybe 4/8ths or 1/2 inch inner diameter.
  • Awesome! Thanks for your help!!
  • I just wanted to say thank you again- that was exactly the problem, it was clogged. I really appreciate your help!! =)
  • Hello,

I was on a road trip the other week in my 2008 GTI, and a tire came off of a truck and hit the front of my car. The only thing I noticed is the black lip part on the bottom that protects from rocks and whatever else, seems to have been pushed in some, and its sticking out of the front a little bit.

Anyone know if this would cause a problem? I hardly even noticed it. What would be the cost of replacing it?

Also, I need to do my 10k maintenance, what does that normally run people?

Thanks!
  • If you are considering a VW, take a long hard look at their reliability records. I purchased a '00 GTI GLS brand new in 2000 and was attracted to the looks of the vehicle, the terrific sounding Monsoon sound system, and the promise of "German engineering" quality. I was leery of the anemic 2yr/24K warranty, but the dealer assured me they'd stand behind their vehicle. Well, they did, for 2yrs. Very shortly after that, I've had many electrical issues (burned out bulbs, defective sensors, dead battery). The latest issue was a broken water pump, which led to severe engine damage (warped head, damaged valves). It turns out the water pump is covered under a 10yr/100K warranty, but only if the work was performed at the dealer. I had the car repaired at a more conveniently located place which has always offered me a ride to work or the use of a loaner car (which VW does not provide). $4700 later (including repairs, towing, etc.), VW would not even reimburse me for the defective water pump which caused all the damage. The quality of this vehicle has always been poor. The same year, I purchased a new Honda CR-V which I've had no issues with. VW has a great marketing campaign, and flashy brochures - but when it comes to quality and customer service, they will leave you out in the cold.
  • Hello, i'm in the process of buying a GTI from a dealer that is fairly far from my house even though there is one about 1 miles away (got a better price). My question is, when it comes time for the free scheduled maintenance and/or warranty work, does it matter what dealer I take it to?
  • I have a 2001 Diesel VW Beetle. When I start it cold there is a clicking sound that causes the lights to flicker for a bout 5 minutes and then seems to go away. I am trying to find out if anyone ever experienced this. Could it be battery is going bad, or alternator output is down? Doesn't bother when it warms up a bit.
  • I live 145 from my dealer in Casper, WY and have had no service from him whatsoever.
  • jnpsocjnpsoc Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 GTI and the A/C has now gone out 2 years in a row. Last year I got it serviced and it seemed better for about a month, but then it went out again. It's been tested and does not have a leak...anyone else had this problem or any idea how to fix it?
  • flossitflossit Posts: 25
    yes, i heard that from a couple of sources that the speedometer on the VW GTI is off by 7 or 8 mph. i test drove it three times, first the sales person test drove the car, he wanted to show me what this car can do. He went on a curve, did "60" around a curve(a ramp) but it felt slower than that, i peaked at the speedometer and it did say 60, but I swear it feels as though he was doing 45. It did not feel right. Yes, it was fun to throw that car around , but I'm very skeptical about a couple of things when it comes to VW.

Yes, all makes might have their issues but VW has more than I would like to see compare to their competitor (honda civic,mazda 3). If I see 50 complains vs. 200 complains then that's a red flag to me.
    I was on one of those VW GTI forum (different site), and the GTI owner said that he took his car in for an oil change and asked them about the 10,000 miles and they told him that it was a typo!! And oil change should be every 5,o0o miles. Well, at the dealership today I asked the sale rep. and he told me oil change every 10,000 miles! I told him the car will have problems if you go that long with out an oil change. I then call one of the merchanic (master technician) at a famous dealership and he told me not to wait that long because it will cause oil sludge.

10,000 miles / oil change seems a bit too long for me. What do you folks think? :confuse:
  • mheinsmheins Posts: 4
    My oil looks so dark by 5000 miles that I change it every 3000. No way will I let mine go to 10K.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Ten thousand miles is actually conservative, IF you use the proper oil (i.e. 502.00 certified oil or better). I personally use Mobil 1 0W-40 (approved for 502.00 and 503.01), and my Used Oil Analysis (UOA) reports always come back showing that the oil is good for at least 12,000 miles.

Long story short, the 10,000 mile OCI recommendation is perfectly acceptable if you read all of the other fine print around it (the print that describes the grade of oil required).

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Dark looking oil is in no way an indication that the oil is exhausted. In fact, many oils include additives that darken with heat as they "break-in", and until that break-in process is complete, the oil doen't protect up to its full potential. Said another way, fresh clean new oil often causes higher wear rates than oil with thousands of miles on it. Don't believe me? Cool, go and check the oil forums (especially the UOA database) over on Bob Is The Oil Guy web site. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Best regards,
    Shipo
    personally, i wouldn't wait that long regardless of the color. just to be on the safe side, 3000-6000 miles. i email another merchanic (second one) and i quote " the longer you wait the more sludge" people can do whatever they want regardless of what the lable or manual indicate, i'm sticking to the good old 3000-6000 :D
    So basically you're ignoring all of the scientific and empirical evidence and going with what you think is right, regardless of what the engineers tell you. Like it or don't, there is zero evidence to support the notion that running a high quality synthetic oil (and oils that meet VW's 502.00 oil specification are oils that meet that criteria) ten thousand miles will cause an engine to sludge, errr, that is unless there is an underlying problem with said engine.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • you can call it whatever you want and anybody out there can do whatever they want. like i have stated before, i'm going to continue doing the oil change every 3000-6000 miles. :D
  • i guess i'm not a scientific type of a person :D
    Regarding the schleeter site, it's full of partial truths, misstated facts, outright fabrications, and lots of scare mongering. Case in point, I've owned two cars on that list, and have performed oil changes with no less than 10,000 miles accrued since the last change (using a VW 502.00 certified oil). The engines in question currently have a combined 300,000 miles on them and are so clean on the inside that you'd swear that the engines had just been built. To take it one step further, I pulled the head off of one of the engines (when it had over 143,000 miles on it) chasing an elusive coolant leak (the leak turned out to be in a ten cent "O" ring elsewhere in the cooling system), and not only were things nice and clean inside, I could still see all of the honing marks on the cylinder walls.

In the end it comes down to faith, you have faith that frequent oil changes are going to prolong the life of your engine; many of us (me included) believe the scientifically and empirically derived evidence that shows that frequent oil changes with high quality synthetic oil is an absolute waste of time, money and resources.

Best regards,
    Shipo