Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen GTI Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• i stated my point and you did yours. people can do whatever they choose. i'm sticking to what i have been doing for many many years. :D
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Posts: 2,039
    I've always been confused by folks who refuse to believe what the manual states. VW says 10k miles before you need to get your oil changed as long as you are using their recommended oil. Why would the manufacturer purposely lead you astray?

And their argument always comes down to: "That's the way I've always done it." Logic and reason are not their best friends. :)
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Some of us subscribe to the Church of 3,000 Mile Oil Changes, some of us (me included) think the Church preaches a bunch of hogwash. I guess that makes me an atheist. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • banibani Posts: 39
    probably because the last time people believed what the manual states, they ended up with sludged engines and expensive repair bills.
  • BANI,

you got that right. :D
  • Madmanmoo,

ofcourse you would say that you work for one ,"Why would the manufacturer purposely lead you astray?" don't be so naive folks. :D
    I'm thinking that you shouldn't be so naïve as to believe that they don't know what they're talking about either.
  • Sure, they know EXACTLY what they are doing. :D
    I just don't understand your reasoning.

Do you truly believe that a huge manufacturer like VW has not done extensive and rigorous testing on their engines? It seems a little arrogant to me that you believe your experience with a handful of cars makes you more knowledgeable than a manufacturer who has experience with millions.

A manufacturer would not print in their manual that the oil change interval is 10k if it wasn't. If changing your oil at 10k would lead to oil sludge, then they would have huge warranty claims because of that. It would cost them even more money. Why wouldn't they just tell people 5k or 3k and be on the safe side?

It sounds to me like you're one of those folks who believes in conspiracy theories. No amount of evidence or logic will stand in the way of your opinions.
  • 10,000 miles per oil change is CRAZY! they probably did the test with the car in a perfect running condition with the just the right temperture, right climate, humidity so on and so forth. Don't let that motor go bad folks, I rather do it every 5000-6000 miles ,pay $75 and save my motor and costly repairs. Vw is just like any other dealership, the longer you prolong it the worst it gets. My girlfriend has a honda accord and we called four dealerships, one said not to get the power steering fluid change and the other saids that we should do it after so many mileage. Go figure. I rather spend $60 than $600 . :D
  • No, I'm not against science. You have to be a savvy , smart consumer. Consumer can not be blind and led to believe everything you see or hear. What dealership do you work for?? :D
    "10,000 miles per oil change is CRAZY! they probably did the test with the car in a perfect running condition with the just the right temperture, right climate, humidity so on and so forth."

Here again you're using your personal and unfounded bias on the issue as a basis for making statements that are extremely non-scientific and highly inaccurate. Like it or don't, believe it or not, if you look over in the BITOG database for UOAs, you will find report after report after report that shows that, if anything, 10,000 miles on a late model VW engine with 502.00 certified oil in the oil pan is conservative.

"Don't let that motor go bad folks, I rather do it every 5000-6000 miles ,pay $75 and save my motor and costly repairs."

You're starting to become a scare monger just like the folks at that web site you posted a link for a week or two back. The fact is, if you use the proper oil, changing your oil at the five to six thousand mile mark instead of the recommended ten thousand mile mark won't add even a single mile of life to your engine (errr, that is unless you routinely take your car to the track and drive it at ten-tenths for extended periods of time).

"My girlfriend has a honda accord and we called four dealerships, one said not to get the power steering fluid change and the other saids that we should do it after so many mileage. Go figure. I rather spend $60 than $600."

Here again, the sixty bucks you'd "rather" spend won't save you from having to spend that six-hundred at any point in the future. Either the pump is going to fail or it won't, and the changing of the fluid won't alter that fact what-so-ever.
    And on that note, I'm done. Since there is no logic in his posting, there is no sense in continuing the discussion.
  • banibani Posts: 39
    "Do you truly believe that a huge manufacturer like VW has not done extensive and rigorous testing on their engines?"

yes. the sludged engine fiasco proves it.

whatever testing VW does is obviously not extensive and rigorous enough.

and hey, now we have the DSG fiasco. again thanks to VW's 'extensive and rigorous' testing. :sick:
    "yes. the sludged engine fiasco proves it."

Ummm, well sort of. The thing is, VW did the bulk of their testing in Europe, and over there the engines had no problem with sludge, however, over here the exact same engine, running with the exact same oil, had a sludge problem on some engines. Which engines? Typically those driven for lots of short trips, and/or engines that had crap Iffy Boob oil used in them, and/or engines that were driven beyond the 5,000 mile recommended OCI for the one engine that VW had problems with (i.e. the 1.8T).

So, what did the "sludged engine fiasco" prove? That if you abuse your engine and/or don't properly maintain it, sludge can result.
  • Once the included maintenance plan has run out on your Mark V or Mark VI, how much have owners been paying for oil changes (either as part of a larger maintenance service or as a standalone oil change)? Is that an independent repair shop or at a dealership?
  • Ok-to anyone has changed their own oil w/jack stands when you jacked up a 2010 VW GTI did it make a cracking noise?
    I was told there is a plastic protective like shield all the way under the car to keep things protected (hence protective shield) well when we put it up on stands it sounded horrible like it had cracked something...what do you think...
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    My 07 GTI DSG was traded in yesterday 4 months before the end of the lease. The car had 17,823 miles on it and we never had the slightest amount of a trouble during the 2.5 years we had it. The overall gas mileage was approx. 22.3 mpg with 95% city driving. I loved the car and I will miss it but we wanted something with more room and with less exuberance ( speeding tickets, anyone heard of these?) I added about 1 quart of oil in-between oil changes which is perfectly normal. We never had to repair or replace anything, only the by-the-book maintenance. It had some slight squeaks which came and went away mysteriously, none of them a big deal. Once I had it a the top speed of 133 mph for a minute, and it felt rock solid at that speed; I still remember the current gas mileage consumption gauge was showing 6.7 mpg. The speed was later verified by the Garmin GPS. We had an air-bag light fixed during a scheduled service and we just received a notice for the coil replacement, but we never got to it because the car runs flawlessly. The things I loved most were, in this order: the engine, the DSG transmission, the steering response, the steering wheel itself, and the seats. The only changes I wished for was a rear window which would pop out a bit to reduce wind turbulence when driving with the front window down. Mine was a two-door; with a four-door it wouldn't matter. Also the 6th gear ratio could be changed to allow more relaxed freeway driving. This car often gets compared to the Mazdaspeed 3, which is quicker. Honestly, I've never felt the need for more power. When getting off from a standstill, the hardest part is preventing wheel spin. The A/C was great, once while driving in Arizona where the outside temp. was 122 Fahrenheit I kept the fan speed at the first notch, it was that good. The heater takes a while to warm up and I wished it had heated seats. The audio system is great; once in a while the sound output would go up and there was an increase in the bass, then go back to normal in a few seconds. The biggest difference between the GTI and our 6-cylinder Honda Accord was that with the Honda I never felt the desire to go faster than 80, 85; but with the GTI, there is always that urge, like it's talking to you: come on Daddy, we can do better than this, all you have to do is smash your right foot down, I'm ready ....
    Good By, Dear GTI, you will be missed and remembered . . .
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    Great story extech, I almost shed a tear. :P
    Loved my GTI as well but alas, i had to find something a little more practical (and with auto trans).
  • khq0660khq0660 Posts: 10
    I just bought a Certified 2007 GTI. The dealer kept stressing that the VW warranty wouldn't cover any of the failures listed in the warranty if it was decided they were caused by normal wear and tear rather than by defect. Does this mean that VW is going to disallow any warranty claim as being wear and tear, or was this a scare tactic to get me to buy an extended warranty? If this car is broken as much as a Jetta I used to own, I can't afford the repairs out of pocket.