Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you had $500K to spend on cars, which would you buy?

Comments

• Sure....but it would be the one from that Car and Driver article where the author plowed into an embankment or some other fixture. Anyone remember that one? Maybe it was another car mag?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,896
    You mean the Ferrari that turned out to be stolen. And the guy that wrecked it was a fugitive from some other country?

Scroll through the gallery. That cost someone close to 1/2 a million.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ferrari3mar03,0,1423392.story?coll=la-ho- me-headlines
  • Nah they are a million plus. I was talking to a client of mine a couple of weeks ago and when he was buying his most recent Ferrari Ralph Lauren was picking up his Veryon.
    Why not? IF you have the money it makes for a great conversation piece in the 10 car garage. I see people getting all choked up about the environmental impact of a Bugatti. Think past that to the dozens of people that hand built that car. It provided a lot of good jobs. It will get fewer miles in its total lifetime than most Prius get in one year. Which is the bigger problem?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You make a valid point, but think about all the energy used up to create a piece of art that won't really serve any purpose besides looking good.

I'm outraged, in fact I think Veyron owners should donate their cars to me. :D
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    " I see people getting all choked up about the environmental impact of a Bugatti."

Really? I never have. Couldn't find any via google, either.

"It will get fewer miles in its total lifetime than most Prius get in one year. Which is the bigger problem?"

That's not a valid analysis. The prius is getting driven because the owner needs to go places. Presumably purchasing a bugatti that isn't getting driven doesn't mean that the owner now no longer needs to go places. They just may not often be doing it in the bugatti.
    I believe there was a quite a bit of negative opinion on a couple different threads here. To me hand crafted cars or art of any kind is a way for the wealthy to pass some of their wealth back down to the working class. Better for the economy than dumping the money in a CD.
  • "I agree with you, daysailer. Now what cars would you get if you weren't retired yet and when you are?"

If I were retired and in need of a new car, I would probably buy the same car that I bought this year when not retired, a Subaru Impreza Wagon. It is still the smallest and best handling vehicle that I know of that will tow my sailboat, price notwithstanding.
  • Does that flat 4 pull pretty good? Would never had thought of towing with that vehicle.
  • Its a small boat, <1000lbm with trailer, so the big 4cyl does fine. The Impreza is rated for 2000lbm w/trailer brake. Another option today would be the Volvo C30, which also has a 2Klbm tow rating, but it is FWD (I prefer driven rear wheels for towing) and costs $6-10K more than the Impreza, so for that price, I might opt for the WRX wagon.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    a subaru, if they had a turbo diesel one that could take biodiesel.

since I last posted... I kinda changed my choice of dream cars :

1- VW Jetta TDI , 2003, fully modded , biodiesel option....45 mpg, With crude oil prices so high, this would be the green alternative. OF course, if I had 500K to spend on cars alone, gas prices would not be an issue, eh ?

2- convert my 1999 Stillen Suburban to full turbo diesel option.....but that would cost close to $10,000....or more.

3- Aston Martin Vanguish 2006 model.....with 4 seat option.

4- Mercedes Sprinter 2007 model Passenger van, 6 cylinder turbo diesel, 10 passenger capable....modified with two TVs.

5- Get a new 2009 Porsche Panemera sports sedan with the twin turbo option...

That should be about $300,000,,,,

and then invest the left over in funds to help pay for the gas...
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I'd buy a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V and use the other $440,000 for new rear tires, gas, tickets, slick lawyers to keepme out of jail doing 180+ mph, high-risk insurance premiums. :P

-Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    just rent out Talladega for the afternoon and skip the lawyers and insurance.
    I don't really care for oval tracks pal !!!! That's not really racing IMHO. ;)

-Rocky
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Saw a 2007 RR at a dealership last night for $229,000. Super Nice car. Looks like it would survive a high-speed collision with an 18-wheeler.

Also saw a Lamborghini for $429,900. WHHHOOOOSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Got to sit in an R8 recently. That's a pretty boss car, and a good deal ( way cheaper than it's sibling lambo ) if you have $500,000 burning a hole in your pocket. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't they have an in-field track? I like it when those are combined with part of the bigger track.
    I can't recall off the top of my head ???

-Rocky
  • For that amount of money, I'd be able to cover an entire fleet!

- Buick Enclave CXL
    - Chevrolet Malibu LT
    - Hummer H2
    - Cadillac Escalade Platnum
    - Cadillac Escalade EXT
    - Buick Lucerne CXL
    - Cadillac CTS-V
    - Chevrolet Cobalt SS

And the granddaddy of them all a Chevrolet Corvette Z06!!! For that kind of money, I can buy 2!!!
    LOL, man you got very good taste !!!! :shades:

-Rocky
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Congratulations!

You have set the record for the most rapidly depreciating $500k expenditure in the history of the automobile. You almost didn't win by throwing in the two Corvettes, but the others are so horrific that they wiped out whatever minimal benefit the Vette's added.

I've always wondered how those trailer park lottery winners managed to piss away a couple of million and end up broke in 3 years. Now I'm beginning to get the picture.
  • lol

Sounds like a dream fleet for Enterprise rentacar...
    Well he could of spent it on Euro cars and pissed it all away on shop repairs and tow company's. :P

-Rocky
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Rocky, what response would you expect from a guy with his "handle" (no, I'm not offended by it, but come on, how 'open minded' can a guy with that handle be??!)

This person posted some time back that he thought a Cobalt was imported by Chevrolet, and that he thought that a Suburban's backup lights staying on after the vehicle was put in park and shut off, was a defect instead of a safety feature (like the headlights staying on until you get away from the vehicle).

Sheesh. All I have to say on the matter.

Bill
    Whoa, Rocky, you think that list of GM's has ANY Consumer Reports most reliable awards to their credit? Ha! You seem to have had a lot of spiked Egg Nog over the Holidays. :P

It's not a coincidence that many GM models lose twice as much in value after 4-5 years as their Japanese or German counterparts. Even fewer people want to own a used one and inherit all the shakes rattles and rolls of the previous owner. My Japanese built 1995 Maxima SE is still tight as a drum after 13 years and 155k miles. If there is a single GM product of similar vintage, similar mileage and similar condition, I'd love to see it.
    We're all happy about how solid your twelve-year old Nissan is. Have you seen what Consumer Reports has said over the past several years about Nissan's Sentra, Quest, Titan and Armada models? Might be enlightening for you to check that out as well, instead of cherry-picking GM models to bolster your argument.

Bill P.
    None of the Nissan models you listed have ever been on my shopping list, but I will give you this - Nissan quality has gone down hill on the Maxima since the production was transferred from Japan to the US. My 1995 was the "fourth generation" produced from 1995-1999 in Japan. Starting in 2000, it came over to the states and between becoming a land yacht and having lost significant quality control, it also is off my future shopping list. So I'm not just picking on GM.
    A good friend has a '96 Infiniti model that is identical to the Maxima. While he likes it and it has been well-maintained since new, it did require a new fuel injector, he says the heater doesn't work well, and he seems to have repeated and somewhat costly issues with brake rotors and other brake parts. Has your Maxima somehow avoided these issues?

Bill
  • I'm assuming you mean me since the second item was my nitpick on a Suburban Rental truck with 1400 miles? The backup lights were the least of the problems, I mentioned my issues with it, you can take them or leave it (I think it's an idiotic idea and a safety hazard but what do I know, there is a world outside GM I guess) the whining transmission was the big thing, the busted off (and missing) door handle and blown speakers were piddley, but with 1400 miles on it? Unacceptable is more like it. Rental car or not, 1400 miles is pathetic for these issues.

I have absolutely no idea where the imported Cobalt came from. It's just another cheapass rental car from GM, built here and rented sold here alongside the Impala, rentabu and Lacrosse.
This discussion has been closed.