Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• arumagearumage Posts: 922
    I would assume they would probably demand a premium price until there are enough of them to go around. CX-9's will probably be in limited supply for a while. With less places to shop around for what you want, it will be harder to get the dealer to budge.
  • music287music287 Posts: 116
    We ordered a loaded CX-9 on the day in October that the dealer got an order form from Mazda. We're paying $800 over invoice (but we had bought another car from the same dealer last year. That might be why he was willing to dicker...)

We're expecting it to arrive later this month! Full report to follow.

Jay
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    That's exactly why I'm waiting a few more months before making my final decision. But I do believe prices will start dropping a couple months after introduction--heck, even the new 2007 MDX can be had for almost $1k below MSRP, and people had been predicting that full retail prices would hold for one year or more (the MDX was introduced maybe 3 months or so ago).

There will be so many choices coming out that dealerships won't be able to command premium choices. I'm personally waiting for the CX-9/Veracruz/Enclave to come out.
  • fromsffromsf Posts: 19
    I am looking at fully loaded CX-9 and won't pay more than $150 over invoice. If I have to pay more that then I will buy a vehicle that is proven.

I did more research on CX-9 and found that major components are not Mazda's own stuff. Look at these: (you can consider these as pro also as cons)
    1. Engine is from Ford (Cyclone duratec35 used in Edge).
    2. Base platform is from Ford (CD3 Platform).
    3. 6 Speed Auto transmission is from Ford & GM joint innovation. (This transmission is used in new Ford models and I believe in GM Acadia and saturn outlook).

Also, Moonroof is not a base option even on high end Grand Touring and when you do a price compare in truedelta.com against 2007 MDX it's only 3K difference. MDX has lot better resale value and proven vehicle.
  • I won't argue Mazda vs. Acura here, but the MDX has only been on sale for a few months, and is therefore not exactly a "proven" vehicle.

You also might have to wait a while to pay $150 over invoice for either of those vehicles... The MDX seems to be a great value and is probably stealing RDX sales at this point. Seems like there are also a lot of posts from people that are waiting for the CX-9 to get here. So demand is liable to be high for both of these through the spring. Either way, good luck.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    You ALMOST got it right ;-)

1. True
    2. False - The CD3 (for "C/D-class") is a Ford global midsize car automobile platform. It was designed by Mazda in association with Ford and debuted with the Mazda Mazda6 sedan in early 2003
    3. False - Transmission is Japanese' Aisin.

#1 is the base V6 for most Ford's upcoming vehicles. It better be good.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    3. 6 Speed Auto transmission is from Ford & GM joint innovation. (This transmission is used in new Ford models and I believe in GM Acadia and saturn outlook).

That is incorrect, the transmission is built by Aisin, the same company that built tranny's for Toyota for many years.

The platform is from the Mazda6, designed by Mazda for Ford.

The only Ford part is the engine. The rest is Japanese, built in Japan.

Also, Moonroof is not a base option even on high end Grand Touring and when you do a price compare in truedelta.com against 2007 MDX it's only 3K difference. MDX has lot better resale value and proven vehicle.

While I will not argue that the MDX is a proven vehicle (also numerous proven tranny problems) and has good resale, the MDX starts at $40,665. A comparable equipped Mazda CX-9 GT with the Bose Audio and moon roof is $36,230. That is a $4,435 difference. If you want to pay the extra THOUSANDS, then you will get the extras that come with the Acura name.
    ... or you could have simply said: "I concur". :)
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Don't forget that Acura has 4 years bumper to bumper warranty, that's worth something.
    Powertrain warranty is not transferable though so don't buy a used Acura and expect the powertrain warranty to apply.
    If I had seen your post before I was done writing mine, I would have! I think we were posting at the same time, however, work delayed me from hitting "post my message" :shades:
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    Not sure where you get this $3k differentce: the CX-9 is over $5k less when you compare the MDX with tech/ent package vs. Grand Touring CX-9 with NAV/ent (MDX = $45.6k, CX-9 ~40k).

Also, the CX-9 gives you the option of getting many different trims, and you can actually get one in the low to mid 30's with decent options. The MDX starts at $40k.

But let's face it, the MDX is being marketed for a different crowd than the CX-9; Mazda has never pretended to be a luxury brand.
    Wikipedia states that platform is sourced from Ford for CX-9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_CX-9

I will post the URL where I found stating CX-9 uses the transmission from Ford & GM Joint venture shortly.

One thing that I feel strong about CX-9 over MDX is that CX-9 has more space than MDX.
  • "I will post the URL where I found stating CX-9 uses the transmission from Ford & GM Joint venture shortly."

So, should we ignore the part of the Wikipedia page you just posted that says "The CX-9 will also use an Aisin sourced 6-speed automatic transmission with a console-mounted shifter in a complex Mercedes-Benz-like gate?"

The Ford Edge is the one that uses the Ford/GM tranny, not the CX-9.
    Link about Transmission sharing:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/FREE/60410001/1062/F- - REE&template=printart

http://www.answers.com/topic/gm-ford-6-speed-automatic-transmission

When I read the both articles, assumed that transmission from GM and Ford Innovation. May be assumption was completly wrong.
    Here is one more link about transmission sharing:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/category/cat.BuyingNewCars?@@

Please read the question and answer of "Question of the Day - What Is Considered An American Vehicle?"
    And if you dig Wiki deeper you find...

The CD3 (for "C/D-class") is a Ford global midsize car automobile platform. It was designed by Mazda in association with Ford and debuted with the Mazda Mazda6 sedan in early 2003. Mazda refers to the CD3 platform as GG/GY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform
    Those are some pretty old articles, that is why you found that info.

Just like the articles preceding the CX-7, many authors were assuming that the CX-7 was going to get the 3.5L or 3.0L Duratec, when actually, it got Mazda's MZR 2.3L Turbo.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Even if CX-9 uses the tranny from Ford, I would be very happy. Since this tranny is from GM & Ford Joint innovation, surely it will be lot better than Japanese makes.
    :surprise:
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
  • "Since this tranny is from GM & Ford Joint innovation, surely it will be lot better than Japanese makes."

What are you on, and where can I get some? :P
    Before the joint effort by GM & Ford for the new 6-speed, which is not being used in the CX-9, Ford was using an Aisin 6-speed in the Fusion and Five Hundred anyway. Hyundai is also sourcing a 6-speed transmission from Aisin for the Veracruz.
    ...whatever it is, I certainly don't need it.
  • music287music287 Posts: 116
    I posed a question to which I've just found the answer via the "Chat" service on the Mazda website. The middle row seats in the CX-9 recline only 4" in three increments. This is disappointing because our former minivans all had fully reclining middle and back row seats. (You have to shepherd two teenagers to understand that they need to be able to sleep at every opportunity! LOL!) I've noticed this annoying characteristic on the Freestyle, the GM cuv's (Outlook, Acadia) and I don't understand why this flexiblity is missing.

Any comments? I'm seriously considering wainting for the upcoming Chrysler '08 minivan update. Other than the unavailablity of xenon headlights and awd I don't think I'm missing anything...and the "mommy-mobile" label doesn't mean anything to me either!

Jay
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Posts: 231
    actually i think HID headlights will be available :shades: link title
  • Do any of you know when the CX-9 is going to be in dealers? And what is the order time if you were to order one now?
    I checked with two dealers in BayArea (Hayward and Menlo Mazda) and mentioned it that they might have it on early next week (16th).
  • I'm also hearing they'll be on the floors in two weeks (around Jan 22).

If you choose one from the projected delivery list you can have it by the end of the month.

If you order one you'll wait a month. If you want the power rear door they won't arrive until April.
    Over here in New England, I am not expecting my first allocation until week 2 of February.