Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• There is a service bulletin on the CX-9 pulling to the left.
    I took my in and had them check it because mine was pulling pretty bad (AWD - 20 inches).

They aligned it, and it is better, but it still seems to bias to the left, especially during braking.
  • Thanks for the links, this should help. We will see what the dealer has to say now.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ...check your tire pressure all around...as stupid as it may sound I have had problems like that when the tire pressure are off...try Mazda specs first and then try tire wall specs...if it still does it then it is aa aligment issue.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I just received my December '07 issue and there is a 1-page article that lists several dozen vehicles under 2 catagories;
    - "Newly Recommended" - and - "No Longer Recommended" -
    Under each of these, they break it down to 'Improved Reliability' and 'Enough reliability data to recommend' and the other column is 'Worse reliability' and 'Enough data to say they're unreliable'.
    The CX-9 was listed under the last heading mentioned above.

I know CR/CU has it's fans and foes, but I usually trust their information. As someone in the final stages of negotiating a purchase of a 2008 CX-9, it does give me some pause. Unfortunately, it doesn't get into any detail on any vehicle in particular, except for a few models in the main body of the article.

Knowing they get the bulk of their reliability information from the subscribers of CR through a once a year survey, I'm wondering where they are getting this new reliability data from...? I could be mistaken, but I thought I received and sent in my auto survey back in the early Spring. I can't imagine there would be all that much data available on the CX-9 since it was released less than a year ago...I think...?? :confuse:
    You would be surprise...I was considering the CX 9 for a while and then I heard a lot of "small" complaints that could be attributed to lack of knowledge or poor information on the part of the new owners...whatever the situation may be remember that perception becomes reality to most of us,specially when it comes to cars...I finally got rid of my 05 Expi ($80+ a week in gas) and got a beautiful Toyota Sienna Limited AWD...hate to say it but Toyota got us and good when it comes to cars....good luck to you
  • "I can't imagine there would be all that much data available on the CX-9 since it was released less than a year ago...I think...??"

Not only that, but if you scan these forums, there really are not a lot of issues posted about the CX-9. Issues with the CX-7 were immediate and annoyed owners were vocal about it on CarSpace.

I always take CR with a grain of salt and just roll their take in with everything else I see and hear... I guess how much pause it causes you just really depends on how much you really want to rely on them.

-c92
    ...or how badly do you really want that specific vehicle...go to Mazda forums....remember the guy with the seat issues?....and the other one complaining how bad was the NAV system?....or how flimsy was the floor material?....etc etc....maybe CR/CU is picking up on this small items....(not small for those that complaint)...it all boils down to this..do you like the CX 9?..unless you hear terrible important things wrong,go get it and enjoy it in the best of health...think positive..after all..it is a mechanical item...good luck
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    I checked out the CR website to take a look at the CX-9 reliability survey. There's something odd about it: nearly every category gets full marks, except for the radio (poor), and the drive system (fair). But when you look at the Acadia survey, for example, there are plenty of half circles, yet the reliability is deemed as average.

So I researched it more: Mazda does have some technical service bulletins out there, but they are mostly about stains on wheels, or pulling a bit to the left or right (this might be the "drive system" CR is referring to), and a coolant tank replacement. Nothing all that serious, but annoying.

The Acadia has many more issues, from transmission software issues to door leaks, batteries dying, drivetrain bolts coming loose, defective seat tracks. Another website has reliability data on 74 Acadias, and statistically nearly every one of them has been in the shop once for an issue. This website does not yet have data on the CX-9.

I'm usually a defender of CR, but in this case I don't understand why the CX-9 survey, which looks better than that of the Acadia, gets a "not recommended" nod. The forums out there certainly seem to show that the CX-9 has few issues, while the Acadia has many, many minor issues that will send you to the shop more often.

(note: I'm only using the Acadia as an example, since it is a direct competitor to the CX-9)
  • I am not a Mazda owner, but my wife is looking for a new CUV, and the CX9 is one of the ones she is considering.
    Does any CX9 owner out there know and trust a Mazda service manager enough to ask him (or her) their unbiased opinion of what the drive train and audio problems are (or were), and what Mazda has done to fix them in the current model? I assume that most of the problems were in the 2007 model.
    Apparently the NAV system is not user friendly, has a so-so voice recognition system, and subpar graphics. As well the iPod connection might need a dealer-installed switch box if you also get Sirius radio.

Someone in the CR forums did ask a dealer about the CR report, and the only answer was that everything had been taken care of in the 2008 model. To tell the truth, I have scoured the forums looking for this "drive systems" issue, and have found nothing. After doing some digging in the CR website, here is what constitutes "drive systems":

Driveshaft or axle, CV joint, wheel bearing(s), differential, transfer case, 4WD/AWD components, driveline vibration, traction control, stability control, electrical failure.

Again, searching the web for any of these issues related to the CX-9 comes out empty. The only thing that comes up is the car pulling to the left or right (alignment issue, I think)...maybe some owners lumped that under "drive systems" in the CR survey?
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    I noticed something curious while I was at the dealership a couple of days ago. The window sticker on the 08 Sport said it got 17/24 mpg while the one for the 08 Touring said 16/22. Both were FWD. I asked why and nobody could come up with an answer. Finally one of their showroom guys said that once the EPA came up with their new numbers, Mazda decided to reprogram the drivetrain to get better mileage. Some of the window stickers where produced before the change and some after, which accounts for the difference. He said "not to worry" that they update all the software every time they service the vehicle, including first service, so that the vehicle I bought would have the latest Mazda update. Does this make sense???

By the way the deal they offered was good only for that day, so I walked away. The CX9 is still on my list, but I'm having second thoughts.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I cannot figure this out. I am a Mazda dealer, and the CX-9's have not come in for anything except the pulling issue, and that was only a select few. The CX-7 has known issues with the CEL, but, the CX-9 has had nothing. How can CR recommend the Edge and MKX with the same engine? I just don't get it. I really don't. Every category lists the CX-9 at "Excellent", except the drive system. I really don't understand.
  • brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    If you want to get the actual rated mpg then go here:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
    2008:
    16/22 18 combined is listed for FWD.
    15/21 17 combined for AWD.
    Sounds like they simply had a sticker for the old way the EPA used to rate MPG, has nothing to do with reprogram, they are feeding you a load of crap sounds like to me.

I love everything about this vehicle except the mpg seems quite poor.

B.
    That's a nice little website! You can do a side-by-side comparison with other SUVs, so I compared the mpg for the CX-9 to the Acadia, Veracruz, Highlander, and Pilot:

Mazda: 15/21 for AWD
    Acadia: 16/22 for AWD
    Veracruz: 15/22 for AWD
    Highlander: 17/23 for AWD
    Pilot: 15/20 for AWD

So the CX-9 is nothing special, but isn't that far off from the others. I'm actually surprised how low the Pilot gets. I guess a hybrid (or diesel) is the only way to get better mpg in this crossover segment...
    Wrong place and wrong people to ask for answers to your questions, I know thwy should know but their answers will always be "favorable" since you are there because you want to buy and they want to sell...go to Mazda forums there you will be able ask and get answers that come from owners of CX 9. Like I said most issues that I saw were minor ones ..like the driver side mirror vibrating and no one at a Mazda dealer has an answer..and the dealer "sees nothing wrong"....owners should be your only source...
    ..is mileage that important when we are only looking at,in my opinion,a guesstimate?...and besides would a 1 or 2 mile per gallon difference make you buy a vehicle over the one that you really want or like?....I don't think so..on most cases anyhow..
  • nxs138 and others - thanks for the info! That does make me feel better. I do rely on CR for product information, but there are times when I look at how they rate one product against another, see the breakdown ratings within the same product, and then scratch my head and wonder why they rate one so much better than another when the data shows something quite opposite. I know they 'weight' things differently, but it still makes me wonder.

I do appreciate sharing what you have found. None of it sounds all that alarming to me. Historically, almost all first year vehicles experience some 'bugs' that need to be worked out. And it sounds like these 'bugs' were annoying but nothing that proved to be too major.

We're going for our last test drive right now. I will try not to put too much emphasis on the CR article and let the experience drive my decision.
    Thanks again to all who responded! :)
    ...but use as a bargaining tools in your purchase and good luck..
    You might also want to give truedelta.com a try. It's a site started by a guy who apparently was critical of CR reliability data, so he started his own site. There's no CX-9 reliability data yet, but should be there soon (he needs a certain number of people to report in to have statistically significant data).

Good luck! My wife and I enjoyed the CX-9 test drive, we liked it better than the Acadia or Highlander.