Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus IS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• isdriver2isdriver2 Posts: 7
    I've been haggling with the dealership since February. The head of the dealership was supposed to get back to me a week ago, but I'm still waiting. Will let you know how much this is going to cost me. I'm bummed out that my dash is ruined. What happened to 'Lexus quality'!?
  • borachoboracho Posts: 1
    Hello -

I have leased a 2007 Lexus IS 250 and have a question about servicing/oil changes, etc.

I'm coming up on 10,000 miles and I will be due for a maintenance/oil change soon. From what I hear, it costs about $300 to get the Lexus serviced at the dealership.

I'd rather not spend that much but since I don't own the car, I'm wondering if it's mandatory that I get the car serviced at the dealership? I'd like to save a few bucks and take it to the Toyota dealership or a local Jiffy Lube if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    $300 sounds about right for the 15k-mile tune-up. The 10k-mile service is just the routine oil change with visual inspections, shouldn't cost you more than $100.

That being said, usually this is what I told people about servicing luxury brand cars outside the dealership: If you are going to own/lease/drive a luxury car like then don't be cheap on the maintenance. I am sure there are plenty of private mechanics out there who are more than qualified to service these cars but if anything goes wrong, you will find yourself in a very unfavorable position while trying to get warranty works done at the dealership. If anything goes wrong while getting services done in the dealership then it's their asses, not yours.

Those are especially true since yours is a lease.
  • ar39ar39 Posts: 61
    I too lease a 250 & have stopped going to the dealership for maintenance. I've found a local mechanic who can do the the job as well or even better than the dealership. I've come across mechanics who dont know what they are talking about. Atleast, I can survey what's being done on my car with my local mechanic which, is not possible at the dealership.

I believe it boils down to quality & then the right price for a quality job.

A
  • dennisgdennisg Posts: 12
    I recently took my wife's 2006 IS 350 to my local mechanic who changed the oil and filter. But he wasn't able to shut off the oil maintenance warning or the icon that accompanies it. I'm talking about the warning that's on the dash, not the one on the nav system. Any help would be very much appreciated.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    Display the odometer reading on the display and switch off the engine. Press and hold the odometer reset button on the IP while switching the car back on. COntinue holding the button for 5 seconds till the odometer display flashes and resets. Switch off and you are done.
  • Take your car back to the dealership since the IS300s have a defective dash! See what they can do for you. There are others out there with this problem and they should try to work with Lexus in getting this problem resolved!
  • I own a 2002 IS300 with about 118,000 miles. I was just informed by the dealership that my catalytic converter was bad. There are 3 converters on the IS. The price to repair was $2,300! Am I getting the hook or what? Can anyone help me out here?
  • Hi i have a leased 2006 Lexus IS 250 and it has about 24K miles on it, recently i took it to the local mechanic for a oil and air filter replacement and he mentioned that he heard some squeeky noise from the brakes and i have been noticing it too(since that day)...should i change my brake pads at the lexus dealership or should i get it done at some reliable local mechanic? what would be the average cost? i am just speculating since i have also come to the completion on my lease and don't intend to spend anymore money on the maintenance!!
  • yeap exactly same thing happens in my 2006 IS 250 RWD
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    there's a tsb for it, bring it to the dealer they will replace it, wont be 100% perfect but will be much better
    I would get the brake pad thickness measure before I decide to replace the brakes. My car's brakes squeeked at low speed for a short period of time but, the squeeking stopped after ~2000 miles. In my case the dealer tried to convince me to replace the brake pads, as usual I ignored him & finally quit going to any of the Lexus dealers.
  • If and when you decide to replace your pads, shop around for labor prices. The brake pads are a breeze to replace. Any independent mechanic that has familiarity with Japanese cars should be able to replace your pads. I did my own and it was a easy. For photos of the brake setup on an IS350 here's a link - http://lexustech.org/Brake2.htm
  • Thanks a lot for the suggestions, yes i went to the nearest tiresplus location and had them check my brakes and he said they were perfect he also told me how to check if they are nearing replacement, so that went in fine and also thanks for the pictures of brake replacement!!..i have another question though and i will start a new thread but i thought i should ask here as well..now the mechanic said that the front tires are worn out completely and need to be replaced, i had purchaed and tires warranty from lexus when i finalized the lease, will they pay for my new tires of does it come out of my pocket?
  • i had a question regarding the warranty that i purchased for the tires, my front tires are worn out completely and it will be very risky for me to drive them this winter so i need to get it changed, will the lexus tire warranty cover it? what would be cost if they don't? and which is the best place other that the dealership to do this job

thanks in advance!
    Tire warranties do not cover tire wear.
  • i have a 2008 Lexus IS250 it makes a horrible rattle they don,t seem to know what it is and the service person at Lexus of mobile was so nasty to me you would think i was making it up to ruin her day .When you think of Lexus you think of luxury no one should hate there brand new Lexus.
    where is the rattle? there are a bunch on this car that seem common.

i currently have one in each b pillar - went in for service two weeks ago they said they fixed it, but it is not fixed. slightly better, ever so slightly.

there is a tsb that when done helps a great deal, but no all the rattles
  • mel38mel38 Posts: 1
    My dashboard is sticky and has marks on it. It appears that the materials are defective. Has anyone had a dealer replace/repair this? If yes, what was the cost?
  • My IS300/2002 had the same problem. Take your car back to the dealer and talk with them about your defective dash and ask how they can help you. Did you know Lexus changed the composition of the dash after 2002 or 2003 because of this defect. Your dealership should be able to help you with this, since this seems to be a common problem with the 02's. They changed my dash for about $600, and yes, I did have to pay, but they said the price would have been exhorbitant without their backing. I think all IS300/2002 owners should speak up. Oh, and the dealership said the tackiness is caused by the car being out in the sun. The only place I could park was outside in the sun, everyday, while I worked. I even used sunshades on the dash which did not help. Good luck in your attempt to get this resolved. They are not able to repair it. My process took about 5 months to resolve. Don't give up and talk to the bosses!!!
  • Purchased a "used" IS250 AWD full-load with only 4800 miles on it in August. Absolutely love the car. Had 7 Honda accords prior to this vehicle, and according to this forum, I can expect more squeaks, rattles and expensive service down the road. None the less, I am pleased to have found this forum - learned a lot from it already in one day. I do envy all of you who are near your dealerships - for me, it is a 9 hour return drive to get dealership service. Although the local Toyota dealership will service and warranty work, my first trip there told me that they do not know anything about the Lexus, so I will return there only if the car is in need immediate service. Fortunately by Spring there will be a new Lexus dealership only 1.5 hours drive from here. Even to have my winter tires put on, it means a 9 hour return drive to the dealership what with the tire pressure monitors et al. (I am assuming that the tire pressure monitors in each wheel will have to be reset).

Like a lot of you, I have found that my rear view mirror vibrates, but not enough to bother me. Today on a drive on a bit of a rough road, I found a rattle in the dash up around the navi system. Once I got back on smooth paved road, it disappeared. Brake dust is a problem, however I wash my car 2-3x/ week, so not an issue. As someone in here mentioned, if you put a good coat of wax on them now and again, the brake dust washes off easily. Gas mileage is better than I would have expected from am V-6. I have no problem getting 30+ MPG hwy, which is much better than my sister gets with her 4 cyl AWD Matrix. All-in-all, I love this car - and already have 2 different folks asking to buy it from me when I get ready to sell it in 3 years time! :)
    there is a tsb for the barke dust - helps a lot. maybe you can call elxus and see if a local toyota dealer can do it for you rather than driving 9 hours?
  • jccai1jccai1 Posts: 106
    I have a 2008 IS250 RWD automatic. I like this car except for one subtle yet annoying problem. I don't know how better to describe it other than that it has a "lazy" throttle.

When I press down easy on the gas pedal, everything works fine. The transmission up shifts around 2500rpm and the car cruises smoothly. But when I need more power, there's a noticable delay between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. The RPM increases very little despite the large travel in the gas pedal. Then as soon as it goes pass a certain point beyond half throttle, it's almost like a light switch is turned on. The RPM jumps and the power comes in, but by then it's usually too late. I'm not talking about the auto tranny down shifting. I tried it in manual mode, and the same thing happens no matter which gear I keep it in.

I don't know whether this car has a drive-by-wire throttle, but it's not linear in its reaction to pedal travel and difficult to modulate. The 2.5L engine doesn't have much low end power, and the delayed throttle reaction makes it frustrating to
    drive in traffic. Anyone else notices the same problem?
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    The IS has throttle-by-wire and the "delay" you exprienced is due to the fuel-saving purpose. I would suggest to put in the "ECT PWR" mode if you do sudden acceleration regularly.
  • Yes try the "ECT PWR" that might help ..... don't have this issue with the 350, but did have it with my 300 ..... and it was dammed annoying. I did have a bad oxygen sensor (or was it an air flow sensor - i forget????) at one point that made it worse ...... maybe you should mention it at your next service.

KC
  • So how do I change the light by the sunroof switch?
  • flewflew Posts: 2
    I had routine service on my 2006 Lexus with 50K miles at Lexus of Oxnard a couple months ago. They recommended a transmission fluid flush which I paid $400+ for, thinking I would follow dealership recommendations to ensure the life of my extended warranty. I just brought my car in for routine service at Lexus of Concord (in the Bay Area) yesterday and told them I already had a transmission flush. They thought I was mistaken because my car has a sealed transmission and was designed to never need a transmission flush for the LIFE of the car. They showed me the owner's manual and it was clearly stated. They looked up my records and sure enough the service had been performed. Lexus of Oxnard took complete advantage of me as a woman. I am appalled they would be so dishonest and unethical. I will never go back! And FYI, many 2004 and later Lexus models do NOT need a transmission flush for the life of the vehicle. Check the owner's manual. If anyone says it is needed, I would be highly suspicious.
  • I think I would look for a consumer's advocate at a newspaper or TV station.

I would also demand my money back, and escalate to the Lexus regional rep if necessary.
  • I wouldn't even waste your time at the dealer ..... keep all your documentation and complain directly to Lexus head office. That dealer has already proven how untrustworthy they are.

KC
  • flewflew Posts: 2
    Yes, I have forwarded all the documentation to Corporate and they are looking into it. I telephoned the service manager at Lexus of Oxnard. He immediately offered a refund but would not admit to any wrongdoing. The offer of a refund is admission itself in my eyes. Talking to him, it sounded like the entire service department is in on this scam. What a shame to the Lexus name.