Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Brake Questions

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    I always thought that the brakes lasted longer on a manual tranny car anyway.

So 20K with no rotor issues and practically no wear is a pretty good sign!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Ha, with a fair amount of highway use, my front brakes on my '96 Accord lasted 131k miles, and still have the orginal rear drums with 177k miles!
  • lmisshulalmisshula Member Posts: 1
    I have a Honda Accord 2007 SE with 12,000km. The front brakes are 80% remaining and the rear brakes are 35% remaining. Is this normal wear for the vehicle?
  • 1sttimebuyer1sttimebuyer Member Posts: 4
    I replaced the rear brakes and had the rotors on all four brakes turned about 5k miles ago (I have about 40k miles on my car.) I have brought the car into the dealer THREE times under warranty because my brakes were making strange noises. Of course the dealer could not recreate the noise and therefore did not fix the problem. Now my front brakes have gotten consistently noisier and the other day I felt the car slip a little when it should have been stopping (not on ice - it was too warm down where I live for ice.)

What is the problem with these brakes? The noise I am hearing (and have heard for a long time) is a grinding and also what sounds like air bubbles running through a tube.
  • 1sttimebuyer1sttimebuyer Member Posts: 4
    From everything I can learn while trying to research my own brake problems, yes, that is the normal wear on these substandard brakes.
  • tamalpais101tamalpais101 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My 2006 Accord 4 cylinder required new rear brakes at 47000 unlike my 98 Camry which went over 80000 miles. This is a HONDA DESIGN FLAW in which soft brakes have been put on the rear and are always engaged with brake use. Friends had theirs replaced at 33,000 (my driving is 80% highway) and the Hansel Honda dealer in Santa Rosa California confirmed the design flaw and stated most go only 25000 miles.

HONDA SHOULD REPLACE THESE BRAKES FOR FREE OR AT LEAST PAY FOR THE PARTS. THIS IS INTOLERABLE. THIS IS MY FIRST AND PROBABLY ACCORD. I don't have time for expensive maintenance or frequent repairs; otherwise I would buy a German car to visit the dealership frequently.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I've heard that some folks have early brake wear but my 06 EX-L has almost 43k miles and I have normal wear.
    I'm at 31k on my '06 EX 4-cyl with no problems. My dad didn't experience issues with his 05 EX either. He replaced the rears at 50k, but drives much harder than I. He now has a Civic, but didnt have issues with his Accord in 70k miles.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I changed my rear pads at 52k miles (90% around town driving). The fronts looked like they could go for another 10k miles. I don't think 47k miles is all that bad. How expensive was it? Did they change only the pads, or rotors too? I paid less than $40 for the pads, and changed them myself in less than an hour, so I'm not complaining. If you can't do your own maintenance, you shouldn't complain about how much the dealership charges you. :confuse:
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    "...If you can't do your own maintenance, you shouldn't complain about how much the dealership charges you..."

I hope you were not serious saying that. Most (if not all) of us can not produce our own oil so I guess we shouldn't complain about the high gas prices ;)
    Very serious. :surprise: Doing your own maintenance is something you CAN do. Producing your own oil, you CAN'T do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should do their own maintenance, but if you choose not to do it yourself, you shouldn't complain about how much someone else charges you for doing it. :confuse:
    I don't have the tools, the skills, or the location to be able to change my timing belt (20 year old college student who lives with a relative here).

I'd like to think I can raise cane over someone over-charging to do this service. If one reputable shop will do it for $475 (the same shop who fixed my car after getting hit on I-59 last year), including water pump, the dealer should be ashamed to ask $850. That is exactly what has happened with me. Guess who'll be doing my timing belt? ;)
    I can understand someone not wanting to do a timing belt job on their own car (not easy). Shopping around for prices is required, if you want the best deal though. If the dealership can charge these high rates, and still get steady business, they certainly will. Some owners will not trust any other shop to work on their car, and they will pay for that decision. I seriously doubt the quality of work is $375 different, but some owners obviously pay it anyway. Then of course, complain about it to everyone but the dealership. :confuse: Not that complaining to the dealership service manager would do any good either ;) .
    I was taking a turn today at about 30 MPH on slick/wet roads in my 06 Accord EX, equipped with ABS and Electronic Brake Distribution. It saved my bacon - a cluster of cars stopped in front of me, and I stood on the brakes. The pedal pulsed, but I just knew I'd slide into the next lane; but the car didn't understeer through the turn like my 1996 LX would've. It made the turn and stopped promptly.

I've never really experienced EBD before today, and from now on I'll be driving this car in the rain, not my old LX with no ABS, which would have crashed in the same circumstances.
    My 92 had ABS, and it saved my front-end at least twice. Once when there was oil on the road going around a curve, and once when another car pulled out in front of me on a wet road. On the first one the ABS allowed the car to continue around the curve, and on the second I was able to steer around the other car. Worked like a charm. I luckily haven't had to use the ABS on the 03 yet (knocks on wood).
  • finzzfinzz Member Posts: 40
    Craziest thing... I have a 2005 Honda Accord with 70,000 miles and I started hearing the warning tabs on the front brakes. I am in the middle of replacing the pads and, despite the mileage and the noise that I've heard, the pads appear to have plenty of life left in them with loads of space before the warning tab is reached...?

I'm all too familiar with the noise a warning tab makes but with some much life left in them, I can't imagine what else might make such a noise... Would a bad bearing make that "scratching" noise?

I'm going to go thru with replacing the pads but wonder if anyone has ever experienced anything like this?

Anyone?

Thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    check CV joint....or does it only grind the brakes are applied?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    You might want to check the dust/backing plate behind the rotor. Sometimes they can be bent when changing a tire by lowering the wheel too soon and catching the plate. That will give you the same noise as the wear tabs.

Mrbill
    Have you checked the rear pads. They often wear faster than the fronts on 7th gen Accords. :confuse: I had to change my rear pads at 48k miles, and the fronts are still going at 54k. I've also heard of rocks getting lodged between the dust shield and the rotor.

Note: Check the callipers for corrosion, and make sure the pins are well lubricated. This will hopefully prevent uneven wear (one pad wearing faster than the other).
  • tomadiantomadian Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 97' with 111,000 miles on it several days ago. Have since noticed that when breaking at 55+ MPH the front end shakes. Until reading these other posts, I wasn't sure what the problem likely was--the rotors??? This car supposedly went through a 110-point inspection!! Apparently, rotors would have been included had they done a 111-point inspection?? It is also apparent that they don't test drive their vehicles before servicing them..or atleast not at 55 MPH... I purchased the car "As Is" (no warranty). Sounds like I'm out of luck??
    You should still try to get money out of the dealer for the brake job that the car needs, or tell them to get the brakes done themselves. They misrepresented themselves by saying the car had been inspected and was in good running condition.

Always try, even if you don't succeed. In answer to your first question; yes, it sounds like the brake rotors are warped.
    It's a 97 and sold 'as-is', personally I would be expecting/wanting to do a brake job myself (calipers, pads, rotors, and fluid)....so I know I have good brakes all around . Rotors are cheap if you do this job yourself.

But heck, if they advertise they do a 110 point inspection, then it's worth it to complain a little and see if they'll put a new set of rotors on for you. However, you'd never catch warped rotors with a 'visual' 110 point inspection.
    I agree with you... the worst thing they can say is "no."
  • tomadiantomadian Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I talked to my salesman today and he basically said that it is still safe and that they can only put so much $ into repairs and still be competitive. I guess I understand that point. They did offer to work with me on the repair bill but I think I'll shop around anyhow. The pads were OK and, no, they don't test drive the cars thoroughly enough to detect rotor problems. They did seem somewhat apprehensive about detailing the 110-point inspection schedule. I'd think that would be a great service to promote and advertise openly??

Hopefully, the rotors will just need turned. What kind of bill should I expect on average??
    The fact that they are willing to help on the bill is worth something; congrats for getting SOMEWHERE with them. :)

I honestly do not remember what turning the rotors cost me, but I know it wasn't out-of-this world.
    Personally, I'd just replace the rotors with new ones. Less labor, better rotors. Don't know the typical labor rate for cutting rotors in your area, compared to buying new, but they may only be a couple bucks more.

You cut the rotors, and they are thinner,. Assuming they can get them smooth and straight again, they will now warp in the future easier under heavy braking conditions. You also don't know at all what was done to them in the past.
  • f0rl0rnf0rl0rn Member Posts: 71
    07 I4 Manual, 56K

My right rear brake started to squeal. It is intermittent and not consistent. It happens while driving without pressing the brakes and sometimes becomes more pronounced when applying the brakes after squeal begins.

A few posts back I saw recommendations to inspect the dust shield for bends or debris stuck in them. I will be doing this soon. Any other recommendations.

Also, has anyone had a personal experience with any aftermarket (non O.E.M.) rotors and pads? I am fine investing in a higher quality product if one is out there. I am not unhappy with the factory brakes just curious if better brakes are out there which are reasonable.

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing everyone's advice/opinions.

PS ~ If I do not get much response in the next few days I will be re-posting this in the General Maintenance forum as well.
    When you buy brake pads, they should come with a gray anti-squeal paste. This is to be applied between the pad backing, and the shims. If the shims have rust on them, they should be replaced, but you would have to order them separately.

Tirerack.com has reviews for aftermarket pads and rotors. You might want to check that out.
  • f0rl0rnf0rl0rn Member Posts: 71
    Thanks elroy,

I have looked at Tire.Rack for a number of different things. I just wanted some personal, anecdotal experiences from anyone who had success. I am sure TireRack makes money off of the parts they sell so they would obviously speak well of them.

Any way, thanks for the advice.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    Brakes on Honda's has been a problem for several years. My 07 Se just gave me a big scare when it started making very loud sounds like metal to metal contact. After it was inspected at the dealer they said they were fine!!! Well something had to cause them to make that horrible sound???? They said my pads were at 70% on the front and 80% on the rear. Something had to be sticking for that loud sound to occur, yet they didn't come up with an explanation. I'll be keeping a close eye on them. The car only has 21K miles on it. :surprise: :surprise: :confuse:
  • kallbergkallberg Member Posts: 6
    Just last week had to replace the rear brakes on my 07 SE at 11,800 miles! My complaints to the dealer about Honda's poor workmanship fell on deaf ears. I hope others have had better experiences with this automaker than I have - I'm bailing out to another car asap.
    Just last week had to replace the rear brakes on my 07 SE at 11,800 miles!

What was replaced? Did the dealership indicate that there was a problem? My 03 V6 Sedan (heavy) rear brakes at least lasted until 47k miles. That was mostly around town, with a lot of stop and go. There is either something wrong with your brakes, or you are driving around with your foot on the brake pedal. Everyone claims they don't abuse their brakes, but I see people on the road in front of me all the time. They are accelerating, and the brake lights are on. That will wear them out quick, if not overheat them causing damage. :sick:
    Not saying you do this, but there has to be a reason for the brakes to go at 11,800 miles. :confuse:
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Wow... that is amazing. Something is very wrong with your car (or your driving). I have almost 70k miles on my 06 EX-L and have the original brakes.
    Well I thought it was amazing too. My foot is nowhere near the brake, except when I need to stop. I've not changed my driving habits, and have never had this problem with other cars I've driven (new and used). Hence my concern when the dealer refused to step up to the plate and cover the cost. I've raised the matter with the Honda zone rep, so maybe I'll have better luck with them.
    They replaced the pads and the brake fluid. I don't ride the brakes, being just as aware of that issue among other drivers as you are.

So I agree there has to be a reason, and the fact that many, many folks have raised complaints about rear brakes in Hondas leads me to suspect a problem in the manufacture.
    Many Accord owners, since 03 when the rears started wearing faster than the front, have complained about early wear. Obviously something is either defective in some of the cars, or they are not assembled correctly. The good news is not ALL of them are experiencing these problems, so I think the problem is correctable. How long it will take, and will customers receive refunds for early wear, is the question.
    well, I had to do the rear pads on my 2005 (4 cyl, 5 speed) at about 42K. The fronts have a lot of life left (at least half).

It turned out to be just 1 pad (inner rear) that was shot. In fact, when I alled a local tire/brake place for a quote, he asked if it was that particular pad. The outer pad (and I think the left side) were still plenty meaty.

He said the problem was a sticky caliper (due to a poor design). Basically that pad does not release properly, and drags slightly on the rotor, wearing it out.

No guarantee it doesn't happen again, but he said they lube it up extra good!

Probably also explains why some people get no life, and others get plenty, out of the rears, even though fronts seem to be pretty consistant.

Not a bad idea to have them checked each rotation, and spend a few bucks to have the brake assembly lube every so often.

Also, make sure they check inner and outer pad depth. The wear report from the dealer (part of the oil change inspection report) said iI had a lot of meat left, but I think they only checked the outer pad (that they coulds see with the wheel on).

Also, make sure they check inner and outer pad depth. The wear report from the dealer (part of the oil change inspection report) said iI had a lot of meat left, but I think they only checked the outer pad (that they coulds see with the wheel on).

Exactly, you can't really tell how much the inner pad has left without taking the bolt out, and pivoting the calliper up, so you can see the entire inner pad. I tried my best to see the inner pad through that tiny window in the calliper, and it was impossible (for me at least). Just looking at the outer pad, doesn't tell you anything. Someone who does brakes for a living should know that.
  • hondot99hondot99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Honda Accord that probably has the same rough feel and sound you are having. When it first occurred Dec 2007, I immediately assumed it was the brakes. In Jan 2008 138,000 miles, the brakes and rotors were changed. This problem has been intermittant ever since. The car now has 160,000 miles. I decided to see if anyone else has the same problem. I would like to put a stop to it, if possible.
  • bbartlettbbartlett Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Accord LX with 33000km . I had it serviced yesterday and the rear brake pads were worn out completely ( metal on metal). I do mostly highway driving and have never replaced rear pads on any car with less than 100000km before
  • mike701mike701 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Accord has 23600 miles on it and at this moment I am 1800 miles from home and I've been getting a metal to metal sound from my left rear brake. I had a local mechanic pull the wheel and the inside pad is down to bare metal!! This cannot be "normal" wear. My 2000 Accord under the same driving conditions went 60000 + miles before rear pads needed to be replaced. This is VERY unlike Honda.
    I had the same problem on my 2005, right at 40K.

Left side was fine, and the outer right pad was fine, but the inner right pad was shot. So, new pads all around!

the dude at the tire store, when I called for a price, asked if it was that exact pad (without seeing the car). Known defect IMO.

He said the problem was the capiper hanging up (drying out and sticking I think). Not much you can do, other than lube it up good, and probably have it greased (if possible) once in a while.

certainly explains why some people need rear pads early, and others get plenty of life.

The Honda dealer here in Corner Brook , NL told me that this problem started when Honda started using rear disc brakes , and I should expect to have to replace the rear brake pads again in about 30000km ( 20000 MILES).
    I am in the process of trying to to get in contact with Honda Canada's customer relations.( 1-888-946-6329 ) :mad:
    My 92 Accord had rear disk brakes, and the rears did not wear faster than the front. My 03 Accord however, has EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), and the rear pads did wear out faster than the front (47k vs. 60k). Brakes are a "normal wear" item, so I don't think you will get much satisfaction from Honda on that. I realize, for someone who pays the dealership to change the pads, this could be a maintenance cost issue :( . For me, a pad change costs less than a tank of gas, so I'm not complaining. :D
  • accord2008accord2008 Member Posts: 1
    I just had to install new brakes on the rear of my Accord 08. I drive highway and have 30000 miles and front are not even close to being replaced. I called Honda customer service but with no luck. They say it states in Owners manual that brakes are a wear and tear item. I have had 4 Hondas and 1 is over 100,000 miles and at least got 45,000 miles before any pad changed let alone the rear.
  • cmiles97cmiles97 Member Posts: 17
    Add me to the list. 2008 Accord LX 29,985 rear brake pads had to be replaced. The wifes 2007 Accord VP with rear drums brakes which I hated but the price was great for the car, has 37,000 miles..no problems.

Honda & Toyota can not rest on their past history of reliability. If I have to replace the rear pad every 30,000 miles or so, it will steer me to another car. This is the kind of stuff that made go away from Chevy!
    You guys are lucky, there are many 08 Accord owners who were under 20k miles, when the rear pads needed to be replaced. Yes, drum brake shoes will last much longer, than rear pads. With rear drums though, the front is doing most of the work, and you will have much more nose dive when braking. I wish frequent brake pad changes were the only thing wrong with my Chevy. :( The 08 Accord is much larger/heavier than previous Accords, and will wear the pad material quicker, simple as that. If you want the pads to last longer, you might want to try some aftermarket semi-matalic or ceramic pads.
    I contacted Honda Canada concerning having to pay for rear brake pads and they are going to give me a credit for my expenses( approximately $80)
    Yes brakes are a wear and tear item, however, all cars with rear disk brakes are not having this problem, must be a design flaw :sick:
  • 94shadow94shadow Member Posts: 31
    Hello all,

Is it possible to install disc brakes on the rear of a 92 Honda Accord 4 dr. sendan LX.
    What type of parts would I need and how difficult is it to install.
    My car has drum brakes on the rear. Disc on the front.
    Thanks,
    94shadow :confuse: