Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Brake Questions

Comments

• V8Growl: You are right no one should jump ship because of one problem. My biggest concern with Honda is the direction that they seem to be headed. My brother had a Oddessy still under warranty and had to spend $800.00 to fix the A/C because a pebble broke a condenser line. He went online and found out that this was a common problem with the Oddyessy but Honda would not do anything. 3 years later they add a mesh screen where the air comes in to fix the problem on the 09 model. I bought the 08 DX Accord and have this brake problem that I have read that Honda has paid 50% to fix since it is an obvious defect but they tell me sorry you do not get anything and by the way they charged me $235.00 for the job which is another rip off. My wife wants more options than the DX has and now I am pissed at Honda so guess what the Ford Fusion is getting all the great reviews now so I am going to make a switch and try Ford and I will tell you one thing I drove one yesterday and it is a nice ride.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I solved the condenser problem. :)
    [image
  • As I get older I have a theory. When you have a problem you either deal with it or you get rid of it. Sometimes when you try to deal with it you end up wasting alot of sweat and time only to get disappointed again. On the other hand if you get rid of your problem then you can move on. Good bye Honda I have spent $75,000 plus on your products over the past 4 years and you would do nothing about the brake defect and other defects with your products. I traded my Accord in today for a Ford Fusion SEL so I will be moving over to the Fusion forum. I might have bad luck with Ford but at least I have a chance to get a quality built car but if I stayed loyal to Honda I would just get disappointed again. To all the 08 Accord guys good luck and I hope Honda does come around for you.
  • Enjoy your F*ound O*n R*oad D*ead. Even considering Ford's high initial quality as of late- hard to say that will translate into a reliable car years down the line- not to mention its lack luster resale value.
  • accordguy0235:
    I hope you are a Honda salesman because I just clicked on your profile and read all your posts since 07 and guess what you sound like a broken record. You defend Honda no matter what the problem is bad brakes, VCM vibration, Oil leaks ect.... and the funny little insults you have "Found On Road Dead" I get it means ford right? At least that what I thought when I heard it in the third grade. I also remember First On Race Day. Now would you like to run your little rice burner against the 2010 Fusion Sport? Did not think so CYA
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 230
    There are a lot of salesmen/dealership people on this site. They are here for most of the brands - and they are just doing a little "turf protection". You have to read them and realize their purpose as what I like to call "defense attorneys" for the brands they sell. It's unfortunate that there isn't a way to have them identified as salesmen, but fortunately they are easy to spot. Honda has its share here. There's some guy - espo35, I believe he goes by, on hyundai that is really something else! So I'd recommend just reading the comments people have with concerns and the fixes they have in lieu of getting upset when the "defense attorneys" attack. Enjoy the fusion.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi there. Congrats on your new ride. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Meanwhile, let's let this particular discussion get back to the very narrow subject of Accord brakes.

Enjoy your Fusion!
  • ""Now would you like to run your little rice burner against the 2010 Fusion Sport""

I find this statement to be ignorant and racist.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I had a rather lengthy post (#176) in here that to which I'd love a reply.

:shades:
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 230
    They pull the brake drum and use a caliper to measure what you have left. It's a simple task. If you don't check them they will eventually let you know by squeeling (somewhat like the discs on the front) and you'll have to replace the shoes and have the drums turned. You did incredibly well on your brakes!
  • I have an 08 accord EXL and have had brake issues at 24000 miles. The honda dealer told be to call honda cust service because it is a defect. They told me my car had too many miles and that Honda does not provide an average brake life expectancy. My wife drives an 05 jeep with twice the miles and her brakes are fine. It's a chrysler product. Why would someone buy a Honda? I bought it because I believed the hype and it's a nice car, but WTF? $233 for brakes installed on a one year old car, excuse me 20 month old car as the Honda customer service rep Allen so kindly pointed out to me. I have written letters to my dealer and Honda, we'll see what happens, but it's total BS. Why would the new pads they put on be so much better according to the dealer if there is not an issue with the original. Did I mention that I drive 95% highway.
  • I told Honda care hot line that I had spent $75,000 since 05 on new Honda's and they still would do nothing I mean they didn't even say sorry for your luck?. I am not sure what you are going to do but I drove that 08 Accord LX with 23,000 miles on it over to a Ford dealer and traded it in for a loaded fusion and my wife absolutely loves the car. My brother is trading his 08 Odyssey limited in because of constant trouble with the VCM and run flat tires (seems to be no fix for those issue's either) . I believe he is getting an Acura but I would never give Honda another nickel. You could say I am a little bitter right now. Someone has said that Honda will have a fix for the brakes soon but I think its funny that I asked them to check my "noisy" brakes at my 19,000 mile oil change and they are fine then at the 23,000 mile oil change they are completely wore out? Oh thats right if the car would of had under 20,000 miles they would of paid for half.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Well, the good news is now that you no longer have a Honda, you don't have to hang out here. Congrats on the new ride... I'm sure the Ford forums will welcome you.
  • "you no longer have a Honda"

Thank you! I have been over to the Fusion site but I still like to check in here to see if Honda does get this brake problem fixed. I think they will get it fixed I just don't know how many cutomers they are going/have lost over the way they handled it. By the way I was only replying back to the person that replied me when I did own the Honda :)
  • Hello,
    I posted earlier about installing rear disc brake on a 92 Honda Accord 4dr. LX.
    All the pictures concerning the parts that I need for a conversion to disc brakes
    has got me all mixed-up.
    Exactly, what parts do I need.
    Could anyone show me a list of parts.
    Here in Hawaii, I cannot find any second hand parts in any of the auto wrecking yards.
    I might have to purchase the parts individually on e-bay or other sources.
    If I am going to purchase individual parts, I might as well purchase remanufactured parts or new parts.

Thanks,

94shadow :confuse:
  • Hi everyone, I need to change rear brakes, both drums and shoes on my Accord (140k miles). Called the dealer, they asked $500 for parts and service and I just feel it is too much for me right now. I stopped by an auto parts store, and they offer Wagner drums and shoes for $136, which seems reasonable to me. I would like to know if anyone has experience with this brand or if you would recommend another brand. Thanks every one for the help.
  • $550, maybe to replace rotors, brakes, drums all the way around the vehicle. $550 for rears ONLY is total RIPOFF. RUN, don't walk, RUN from this dealer!

I replaced front brake rotors and pads this past summer (quality name brand products, not cheap stuff) for about $160 on my '03 Odyssey.
  • Yeah I have a 2009 Honda Accord. My back brakes went out at 27,000 miles. I do mostly highway and I paid $330.00 to Honda for new brakes. This is my 5th Honda and I have never had any problems before. If Honda will step up and refund my money for their mistake, I will reconsider buying another Honda.
  • " If Honda will step up and refund my money for their mistake, I will reconsider buying another Honda"

I think you have just bought your last Honda. I know I have :shades:
  • """ I know I have"""

Good for you - do you have anything of value to add to the discussion that doesn't represent your continued bias against the American Honda Motor Company ?
  • 2008 2009 Accords and maybe 2010s are lemons.
    All models (LX EX V6) have defective brakes.
    I was in the dealership with three other people at the same time for the same problem. Changing rear pads at 15K !!!
    My pads were burned and each pad different width from 1/16 of an inch to 1/4 of an inch... uneven pressure or what. My front pads are at 70% according to dealer.

Well we payed different prices that day as well. The people that did not complain gave $180. People that complaint 50% (Honda paid the rest). People that mentioned lemon law ...free. Later Honda called me to tell me that they are collecting incidences and are working for the problem ... NHTSA has 400-500 complaints for 08 and 09s, nobody has died yet so they have not recalled the lemon yet. Are they serious
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    "Good for you - do you have anything of value to add to the discussion that doesn't represent your continued bias against the American Honda Motor Company?"

Are complaints about brake problems - these problems are real - a bias against the manufacturer?

Has Honda solved these problems in the 2010 model?
    This is a quote, from a Honda technician, on another forum.

"Update: Just got a new revised set of '08+ Accord rear pads in yesterday (12/16/2009). The new part number for the rear pad set is 43022-TA0-A51, which replaces the original pad set 43022-TA0-A00. The revised pad set includes two wire springs that fit into holes drilled into the rear edges of the backing plates. These springs are intended to hold the pads away from the rotor while there is no brake pressure. Honda has already been using a similar wire spring setup for '02-06 CR-V and '03+ Element front pads.We'll see if they help to extend rear pad life for the Accords."

Can't say if this will solve the problem or not (too early), but I would check with a dealership about it. Good luck :)
  • "Has Honda solved these problems in the 2010 model? "

I asked the Honda service manager that question when they were replacing my back brakes on my 08 Accord and she told me that Honda is working on this problem and yes the 2010 back brakes are the same as the 08/09 back brakes. That was a month ago so I am not sure if they have figured it out yet.
  • My 1999 Accord still has the original rear shoes at 50,000 miles, and that's 95% city driving. I probably won't purchase another Accord, not because of the brakes, but due to the excessive road noise, which is again there in 2010 models, but not in a 2007 model I test drove a few years ago. Honda needs to tame the road noise like it has in the 2010 Acura TL.

As for those of you with the pads going at 24,000 miles or less in normal driving, I'd be P.O'd too. Thankfully Edmunds is around to save the day giving us an outlet to hold discussions and to discuss ongoing issues, good or bad. Thank you Edmunds.
    Here is Honda's attempt at the solution to the rear brakes.

This is a quote, from a Honda technician, on another forum.

"Update: Just got a new revised set of '08+ Accord rear pads in yesterday (12/16/2009). The new part number for the rear pad set is 43022-TA0-A51, which replaces the original pad set 43022-TA0-A00. The revised pad set includes two wire springs that fit into holes drilled into the rear edges of the backing plates. These springs are intended to hold the pads away from the rotor while there is no brake pressure. Honda has already been using a similar wire spring setup for '02-06 CR-V and '03+ Element front pads.We'll see if they help to extend rear pad life for the Accords."

Can't say if this will solve the problem or not (too early), but I would check with a dealership about it. Good luck
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

It is hard to understand why Honda is having problems with disc brakes, which are not exactly new technology. Has it really taken them 2 years to come up with a solution that is the same as in other Honda models? Also, I wonder what percentage of Accords are having this problem.
    Disk brakes are not new, but EBD (electronic brake-force distribution) is. EBD uses much more rear braking, to reduce nose dive. My guess is, they will have to increase the size of the rear callipers and pads. While this sounds simple enough, they have to decide how much increase in size is needed, which will require some research and testing. Safety is a big concern, with any braking system change, so change will take time. I doubt the Accord will see a rear braking system change before the redesign in 2013. I'm sure Honda is hoping the rear pad revision will reduce the problem until then.
  • danesidanesi Posts: 11
    just got back from my 20000 mile service. Was told 2mm left on rear brake pads. Service technician said Honda was offering to install replacement pads, etc on rear for 50% of regular price. He related that Honda was quietly providing 100% replacement if mileage was under 12000, 50% between 12000 and 20000. No subsidy after 20001 miles. Cost to me approx $150. Figured it was worth it. If I find that Honda is making it a warranty item in the future I will make a claim.
  • schimischimi Posts: 2
    I have an almost brand new 2009 Accord EX-L 4cyl 190hp with only 4400km on.
    At the beginning brakes were smoking heavily. Honda service could find nothing. Smoking stopped but rear brakes smell burnt every second time I come home. Went to Honda again, but they told me if they check again and find nothing I have to pay for the labor. I think something stinks big time. I never had that problem with any car before. I am a very experienced driver and used to repair my car myself in my earlier days, but they treat me like a complete idiot at the service department.
    What shell I do about it? If something is wrong they will later say breaks are normal wear and tear and will make me pick up the bill.