Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Brake Questions

Comments

• Time will tell what an error Honda is making right now by not fixing the brakes of people and tryind to hide the brake design fault.

The last arbitration I have looked the consumer won (California).
    The Honda rep accused the customer that he was "riding: the brakes.
    Well gues what -- it is the Honda pressure/calibers that was doing that.

The Honda customer won the case and got back 95% of their money
    --5% went to the use of the car, taxes registration were refunded 100% as well.

It is not an accident that Toyota is -30% and Honda -5% on sales when FORD is up 25%.

By the way both rear and front brakes on Honda are defective. Honda has a TSB for
    front brakes and oil pumps (if I find the numbers I will post them) according to off-the record with Honda tech, but I have not yet found anything for a TSB for rear brake problem..

As you and I know most of the people that complain are on the 4-5 Honda and rarely have changed any rear brakes in their lifes.

So I understand your concern when Honda and other people are blaming the driving habits. On my previous Honda I had 200K miles on them and I only changed front brakes three times (62K, 120K, 174K) and my rear (drums) had 40% on them. Most of my driving is on highway with light traffic.

Proof that Accord drivers that complain are not "riding" their brakes is the fact that the front and rear pads are not equally wear out and the front are at 60%-80% when the rears are at 3-5% (at least one of the pads).

Personally I am under 18K and 18 months so I will file for arbitration in California.
    I suggest that every Accord owner with problems should do that, if they are within the limits of their state,till Honda admits the cover up and the rip-off.

All the best to all Accord 08 09 10 owners.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    On my previous Honda I had 200K miles on them and I only changed front brakes three times (62K, 120K, 174K) and my rear (drums) had 40% on them. Most of my driving is on highway with light traffic.

Drum brakes are not used very much, and should last a long time. Rear disk brakes, since the addition of EBD (electronic brakeforce distribution), will wear much quicker. EBD uses a lot more rear brake, to lessen the nose-dive effect when braking. My 03 Accord's rear pads were worn before the front pads too (rears went 50k, and fronts went to 65k). It was the first time I had ever had a car where the rear pads wore faster than the front, but I don't see that as a big deal, because the brakes work fine, and make no noises at all. Things change, and you can't expect a 2008 Accord, with rear disk brakes, and a lot more weight to stop, to be like an Accord from 10 years ago, with drum brakes.

Proof that Accord drivers that complain are not "riding" their brakes is the fact that the front and rear pads are not equally wear out and the front are at 60%-80% when the rears are at 3-5% (at least one of the pads).

That doesn't prove anything. When you brake lightly (or ride the brakes) the rear pads will probably receive a higher percentage of the total braking force, than if you were braking hard.

I do think, if your pads are worn at only 18k miles, the dealership or Honda, should be replacing them for little or no cost to you. Pads should last much longer than 18k miles, EBD or not. I forget, how much did the dealership charge you? If it was over $100, I would be angry too.
  • Personally I paid $0

But three people in front of me at the same time paid $179
    They had 15K miles only, and they only think they said was "Honda is using cheap brakes on the Acoords", and they just paid.

I was the fourth in line on the check out, but the only person that asked the service manager "Are you for real that I need to change rear pads under 20K, this only happend if there is a problem, don't you think we need to talk?" and I go there for 10+ years...

Just the fact the four people with Accord were at the same time for the same reason shows the odds of being random or accord problem

Still my opinion the "Do not ask, Do not tell policy" of Honda will backfire towards them.

I wish my car could go to 50K with no rear pads change.

Yes the new accord is big & heavy that is why Honda should use better brakes. Then nobody would have these problems.

As for the "riding of brakes" Honda Canada revealed the answer to the Accord problem when they included in their letter the phrase that are willing to change the calibers on problematic cars, if the cars are under 3 years 36K.

All the best
    Personally I paid $0

I certainly would not complain about how much someone else paid. That's their problem. Do you have any other problems with the brakes? Who knows, you may get the pads changed free next time too. Did they install the revised pads (springs on backing plates)? Until they make YOU pay for brake service, or have other problems with the brakes, I don't see what you have to complain about? :confuse:
  • Hello again,

I want to try something different. I have a 92 Honda Accord LX with a F22A1 SOHC 16 valve engine and I want to build on this engine.
    My question. What year or type of fuel injection manifold will work best with this engine.
    What type of heads would match this engine and work the best.
    I have heard that a lot of parts from different engines are interchangeable.
    I am looking for mostly for stock parts. I want to see what this engine can do without a turbocharger.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    94shadow
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    You would probably find more info in the Honda Accord Maintenance & Repair forum, or I think there may be one for modifications as well (to which I'm sure someone with a little more time would be happy to link you). This one is generally reserved for brake questions.

Best of luck!
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    This forum is driving me away from trading for a new Accord. I have a 2005 EX-L with 95,000 miles. I replaced the rear pads at 85,000 and the dealer says that the front have plenty of wear left. Having problems with brakes that soon is ridiculous. What has happened to Honda?
    Other people having brake problems doesn't mean you will. I have seen posts about brake problems on 2005 Accords too. Do a search for 7th gen (03-07) brake problems, and you'll see. I think it has a lot to do with how and where you drive. Areas where road salts are used will have more brake issues.
    Plus, keep in mind that these forums are going to be populated more by people reporting problems than by people saying "just stopping by to say I don't have anything to post about." It skews the way things really are.

Personally, I have an '06 Accord and wouldn't replace my Accord with a current model, but its not because of anything listed here.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I'm just stopping by to say I don't have anything to post about. :shades:
    Quite frankly, me either!

I have 57,000 miles on my front/rear pads on my '06 EX - never had a thing done to the brakes.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I think I'm over 76k now. Nothing done yet either.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,691
    Nobody ever wants to look in the mirror.

Years ago when I ran a busy shop in CA, I would see people go 50,000 miles and more on their original brakes while others would burn up lining and pads in 10-15,000 miles.

True, some cars were worse than others. Especially in the "old days" when not all cars had front discs.
  • You can make your own educated decision but ...

If you trade you old accord for a 08 09 10 Accord you will do a costly mistake as all of us thet we have those models.

Look NHTSA complaints, there is no car in recent history (last 20 years) with such many complaints about rear brakes.

Good luck
  • I bought my first honda in 1996. It was a Prelude SI 5MT and it was the best car I have ever owned. I moved to california last year and sold my prelude that was running perfectly with 260,000 miles on it and bought a 2006 certified Accord EX 2.4L. It had 30k miles on it and on the certified paper work it stated the back brakes were replaced. I asked the salesman if the back brakes were replaced why were the front not replaced. (most braking power comes from the front brakes) He said he did not know. I needed a car that day and it was a honda which had treated me good with my prelude so I bought it. Boy was that a mistake. 3000 miles later the brakes started to rattle and shake so bad I could hear and feel it in the car. I almost rear ended somebody on the 5 freeway a month later due to the brakes not working fully due to the shakes. I've had them replaced since then and I'm going to have them replaced again next week and I have only put 20 thousand miles on the freaking car!!!!!! All of us Accord owners need to start calling our congressmen TODAY and start complaining about this issue. Honda acts like its our problem but we all know it is their faulty design. The climate is right in FORCING them to recall the car and give us new calipers. That is the real problem, not the pads. I'm calling my congressman tomorrow and you all do the same. We can fight back and force them to do the right thing. NOW is the TIME for it with the gov going after Toyota. Honda will cave in quick and they will make it right. They have know there is a problem since 2003 but they do not care. Lets MAKE them care. And I will never buy another honda again for the rest of my life. I suggest you new car buyers reading here take your money elsewhere. This Honda today is not the Honda it once was. The Quality is gone. If you do not believe me do a google search for honda accord brake problems. And current owners, FIGHT BACK TODAY,
    CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN RIGHT NOW!!!!!! :lemon: :mad:
    I find it interesting, that since the government owns GM, Japanese cars suddenly have numerous recalls. Conspiracy? I wonder. My 03 Accord has the same brakes as your 06, and there is nothing wrong with my brakes. Honda and Toyota have not suddenly forgotten how to build cars, but lately they can't do anything right. :confuse: The fact that the government needs GM to succeed, and consumers to turn away from Toyota and Honda, gives me a bad feeling about this. The owner of a car company should not be in control of recalls. Something smells fishy.
  • Something smells fishy.

Wow :sick:
  • "I find it interesting, that since the government owns GM, Japanese cars suddenly have numerous recalls"

Thats why my 08 Accord was such a piece of crap! Its Obama's Fault I should of known. Thanks elroy5
  • Everything bad that happens is the fault of the Obamanation, I thought everyone knew that ;)

How's that hope and change workin for ya ?
    It's working real well, as long as you want government to control every aspect of your life. Aren't enough people dependant on government, do we really need welfare for car companies? :sick:
  • To answer your question, no ! We didn't need bank bailouts or the 750 billion dollar anti-stimulus bill either.

I believe this is much of the reason why Ford is doing so well these days, because of the anti-bailout sentiment.

Consumers who traditionally favor American cars are walking towards Ford and away from GM and Chrysler because they took Government money - aka our tax dollars.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452
    Ford is doing better for simple reasons having nothing to do with bailouts.

They have a nicer product, and are getting known for good quality.

Consumers are really only concerned with their own money. Very few people will actually spend more out of principal.

Although the bankruptcy (especially for Chrysler) is an issue, if you are worried about the company being around in the future!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• Gees, what happened to the Accord brake questions/answers???? I didn't know this was the "Car Politics forum"
  • I'm sure they are both wonderful. Our 98 was/is a fine automobile. Our daughter-in-law drives it now. I'm sure the Fusion will have its own set of problems. I used to drive Fords and it was the parent company that was always my biggest problem. (and the automatic transmissions).
  • rearpadsrearpads Posts: 15
    edited February 2010
    I agree

The focus here is Accord Brakes and 80 09 10 Models suffer a lot

TSB 09-096 covers front brakes and if you have front brake problems dealers will not tell you unless you mention the TSB number then they will replace pads for free and resurface rotors for free

Nothing for rear pads brake yet
    Honda will loose all repeated customers ... Honda's fault not owrs that we supported their products all this years

Just complain everywhere (e.g. congressman BBB, consumer affairs) till Honda USA act. They did in Canada and Honda Canada at least has to change pads for free if it is within 36K or 3 years

Lets talk about brakes not other things
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thanks, everyone, for getting back on topic! :)
  • I've been following these forums closely since noticing brake noise about 10 months ago with my 2009 Accord. Because of the issue, I've had my local Honda dealership check my brake pads for wear with each service (complimentarily of course). Since I bought the vehicle I've had 3 services, @5500 miles, 11000 miles, and recently at 17700 miles. My question/concern is regarding the results of these checks. With the first and second check, the tech reported 10mm on fronts and 6mm on rears. The third check showed 8mm on fronts and 7mm on rears. How subjective are these readings, that there can be more pad life showing 10 months and 12000+ miles later than the first check? Should I trust these readings? I know Honda doesn't use self-replicating brake pads. Since the noise started about 12 months ago (@ 3000 miles), it hasn't gotten worse, but is still constant with almost everytime the brakes are applied. I have been in touch with Honda of America regarding my concerns but as everyone knows, nothing is being done there yet. If my pads aren't showing excessive wear, do I really have a leg to stand on when it comes to this issue? I appreciate your thoughts/opinions/answers. Thanks.
  • "How subjective are these readings"
    Woody: I can only tell you my experience with my 08 AccordBrakes. At 19,000 miles the dealer told me that my brakes were fine even though my wife said that they were making noise. At 23,000 miles (next oil change) They told me that the rear brakes were shot. $280.00 bill that I told them that Honda would pay half and they told me no only Accords under 20,000 miles they would pay half so I think they are doing to you what they did to me and put you off till the magical 20,001 mile mark so they do not pay half. Thats is only my opinion and my experience.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 818
    edited February 2010
    Measurements of pad thickness is just a visual guesstimate. The pads aren't actually taken off and measured with a micrometer, but are simply eye balled in-place. I'll bet if you took your car to 3 different dealers, you would get 3 different measurements, all similar readings within reason, but not identical. The only concern comes in when the pads are worn thin. I'd get a little nervous if they said 2-3mm.

Mrbill
  • Honda makes a special tool for measurments made on car and in place, the only time thats not good enough is if the pads are wearing unevenly. in that case it would depend on where the measurement was taken..