Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have had the truck stall on me a few times as well. When I shift from reverse to drive sometimes it bogs down quite a bit and almost stalls or does stall. But it starts right up again and I have no problems. Sometimes when I put the truck in park and shift to reverse and back to drive it doesn't stick. The truck seems to not be able to find the gear I am putting it in. This happens once a week or so depending on how I am shifting it.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    Some gascaps have been known to rust internally and cause this problem.

In any case, the built-in diagnostics are sensing a leak in the airspace above the gasoline in the tank. This diagnostic is performed by slightly pressurizing this airspace and then sealing it off and testing to make sure the pressure stays.

Also check all 3 hoses are plugged into the charcoal canister. (mounted below the drivers door on inside of framerail)
  • Hi. Got this truck August 2nd, 2007 and Sept 16th, I was driving onto the freeway from a curved onramp, and the truck would not shift up from say 3rd gear to 4th gear. So I was going 50mph and the tach read 3800, which is not good. Then after I pulled over, it worked. It repeated this problem later that night. So the last two weeks, it hasn't done it since, and I dropped by the dealer and he had never heard of this happening on a truck this new. I have 1700 miles on it. So, it happened, but isn't doing it now, weird.... just thought I'd post this and see if anyone had this problem with a newer vehicle like mine. I do like this vehicle a lot.... Kinda wish the glove compartment held more than it does.
  • Hey...looking at a 1992 ClubCab LS,with 180K miles. Intermitten issue with 2nd-3rd shift. It's an auto. Trans shop of course wants to consider overhaul...2k-3k...OUCH!!-if full tanny service doesn't do the job. Owner does'nt seem to be the 'regular service my truck' kind of guy. It's a 4x4. $1500 too much for it???? Wish it was a 2wd with that motor.. Original paint/decent cond/everything else works fine...What do you all think????
    THANX!
  • No same as before, Any other ideas? Or just take to to Dodge?
    mike
  • I don't know what 'regular service my truck" means with that high of miles. 180k miles and 15 years is way at the end of the life of this car. You can get a much younger truck with fewer miles for 3000-4000. Offer him $600 at best,especially if he's fishing in one of the tradin publications.

--jjf

Hey...looking at a 1992 ClubCab LS,with 180K miles. Intermitten issue with 2nd-3rd shift. It's an auto. Trans shop of course wants to consider overhaul...2k-3k...OUCH!!-if full tanny service doesn't do the job. Owner does'nt seem to be the 'regular service my truck' kind of guy. It's a 4x4. $1500 too much for it???? Wish it was a 2wd with that motor.. Original paint/decent cond/everything else works fine...What do you all think????
    THANX!
  • My Dakota takes long to shift from first to second when it's cold. I sometimes drive slow for two blocks before it decides to shift, however it does not happen all the time. Could this be a problem with the TPS ?
    Thanks
    Robert
  • ebellebell Posts: 2
    I'm having trouble with my truck. We bought it used and it has about 130 thousand miles on it. The trouble all started with the RPMS jumping randomly. Just from about 1200 to 1500. Not a major jump. Now, you can feel it jump jump, it sorta feels like it's trying to shift but its not. It will only do it when you go over 50, and you it'll do it for a few seconds then stop, then start again. What could be the problem? And should I just take it to a shop? My dad suggested a tranny flush, but i've only heard bad things about that.... :confuse:
  • PROBLEMS WITH THE RPM AND SHIFTING IN THE DAKOTA COULD BE RELATED TO A BAD SPEED SENSOR MOUNTED ON TOP OF THE REAR WHEEL DIFFERENTIAL.
    AS FOR THE TRANNY FLUSH I AGREE THAT IT COULD BRING PROBLEMS IF ONE HAS NOT BEEN DONE BEFORE WITH THAT MANY MILES, GOOD LUCK.
  • ebellebell Posts: 2
    I'm not sure it's the speed sensor, i'm really not sure what it is. My brother was messing around with my truck when I bought it in august and tried out the 4x4. Ever since then it's been doing this shimmy thing. Its not a continuous thing, but often enough. The RPMs will jump slightly and it feels like the whole truck is studdering or something but just for a second and then it will drive fine for a little while, then start all over. Does that sound like a transmission problem or something else?
  • MY DAKOTA HAD A PROBLEM SHIFTING OUT OF FIRST GEAR WHEN STARTED COLD. NOW I PRESS THE GAS PEDAL SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE, THIS SEEMS TO RESET THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE AND IT SHIFTS FINE EVERYTIME. IF YOU ARE HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM TRY IT.
  • I have a 2001 dodge dakota quad cab with the 4.7 V8 and 2WD. Lately the engine refuses to start on occasion. The transmission selector on the dash will only light the circle aroun the R,D,1 and 2. It is like it will not recognize Park and Neutral, even though the shifter moves into all positions. Usually after I let it sit about 20 minutes it will start and register shift positions with no problem. I cleaned what i think is the Transmission range sensor on the transmission, that seemed to help, but the problem came back. Sometimes when it acts up, i can shake the sensor and it will start. Also, it seems to do this when the truck is warmed up(after running about 20 minutes)and you turn it off. i took it to the local dealer here because I am not good with transmission troubles. They decided it was the Shift cable and repalced it. Problem came back the next day. Any ideas?
  • Hi I am new here and I apologize that this might be long. I have the a 2001 V6 Dak that has about 93k on it.

About a month ago while driving at highway speeds (about 75 mph) the Trans temp light came on. I had the truck towed back and the problem could not be duplicated. Then it happened again about a week later (same conditions) except this time I noticed that the OD had turned itself off. Dealership replaced TCC and O/d solenoids, govenor pressure solenoid and transducer. It happened a 3rd time last week and they replaced the Power Control Module. Now for a forth time (and now it is happening during city driving conditions) the O/D comes off and the Trans Temp light comes on. If anyone knows what could be causing this it would be appreciated. I have spent over 3,000 dollars in the past 30 days getting this worked on. Thank you.
  • I had the same or similar problem. I went to two dealerships because my truck wasn't shifting correctly. The first dealership told me it was going to be $4000 for a rebuilt transmission so I took my truck to another dealer. He told me $2400. After they took it apart the price jumped to $4000 also. My dad had been telling me to go to Aamco all along so I took it there. They rebuilt the transmission for $2000. When they put it back it they found out that the transmission was ruined by the radiator. The coolant flows through the radiator, which was plugged up and that was making my transmission overheat. The overheating is what damaged the transmission in the first place. They replaced the radiator. Noone at the dealership mentioned the radiator to me.
  • jstew3jstew3 Posts: 1
    I noticed your problem. Could you happen to have a clogged catalytic converter? How is the engine temp?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    The 2000 4.7L semi-hemi came from the factory with 2 emmissions "options" (depending on the state where the truck was orderd from)

One "option" had a single catalytic converter... the other (called the border state emmissions package) has 3 catalytic converters. (and 4 oxygen sensors!)

The best way to isolate your problems is to have diagnostic computer hooked up to your Dak WHILE you are driving so the instantanious readouts from the sensors can be mapped into a graph.

It is actually pretty cool to see the activity of the sensors while under driving conditions. You can see throttle-position, road-speed, cat. temp, airflows...etc.
  • My '92 Dakota V8 4x4 with auto tranny stalled at a red light. I shifted into neutral to restart the engine and it is as if the gear selector can't find any gear on the tranny. I'm stuck in neutral. I had to push the truck off the road. The engine races but no engagement. I checked to see if the linkage had fallen apart, but everything looks intact. Any ideas
  • Is there anything I can check to determine why this truck wont shift out of first gear?
  • Even thou they are dealers...

they sometimes dont know how to fix cars that they sell. you have to go to a some other that really knows what they care doing in order to get it fixed right

my friend had a 92 honda... they couldn't fix it. They wrote it on the paperwork saying... they can't found out what's causing the problems... so they went ahead to charge him him on this credit card. And he call his credit card company saying... I'm not paying it. They didn't fix it and he had a letter to prove it... so it went to lawyer and all the crap... so he didn't pay any money after all!! Pain in the A$$!!

I read a lot of cars and trucks stuff... dodge quality doesn't seem to be that good

Evertyone loves the Tacoma or the Frontier.

No one is buying Chevy or Ford Mid-size truck... it seems like they gave up on it.
  • to illumini

since they can't fix it... did they even give u anything free to refix something else???

man i would have been talking to the managers about this and [non-permissible content removed] them out!!

You should've said... obviously you guys are dumb founded on this... why should you guys still be business?!