Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    My pleasure, sir. Hope the resolution isn't too expensive.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Glad to hear you had good success. Punky Throttle Position Sensors aren't the problem they use to be, but the 2001s and 2002s seem to have higher replacement rates.Defective TPSs can really drive a 545RFE a crazy.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • glenn973glenn973 Posts: 6
    I posted this about 1 1/2 years ago and no one had an answer, hopefully someone may be able to provide some insight now :)

I have a 2002 Dakota Quad 4x4 8cyl 5.9 w/ 86,000miles now 105,000
    Recently when coming to a stop the transmission will either fail to shift from 2nd to 1st or will downshift to 1st but jump back up to 2nd after I come to a complete stop.
    After sitting for a minute it will sometimes shift to 1st ok, other times it doesn't and I have to manually shift it to 1st.(no problems with manual shifting) sometimes it now does not shift until i start to move again, even with trying to force it to 1st

This is a rather intermittent problem, sometimes it will act up for the whole day, sometimes I can go for 5+ daysor months and not have any incident.

I took it to a local shop, they ran tests, and pulled the pan. Tests came up clean. They claim the pan had some metal flakes in it. I unfortunately was not there to verify it. They want to rebuild it for about $2000.

I am going to take to somewhere else for a 2nd opinion as I think having to rebuild a tranny at 86,000miles is absolutely nuts. However I wouldn't be totally surprised as there has not been much done in the way of maintenance. never did get the 2nd opinion

Could this just be a case of neglect on my part and I just need to pony up for the rebuild or is there hope for a less expense answer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Glenn
    Glenn,

Before making assumptions or declaring a rebuild on this transmission, there are a number of things that should be checked before ripping it out of the vehicle.

First, we need some vehicle history. What kind of transmission maintenance have you performed? Have you replaced any engine or transmission parts? What actions, if any, have you taken to troubleshoot the problem?

You say this is going in to Limp mode. How do you know?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jt8manjt8man Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 dakota r/t it also had tranny problems, not getting into 2nd gear somtimes under load. Took to shop and dropped pan...the tech wiggled some levers and found one of the bands loose / broken, got it rebuilt / and shift kit for $1,500. Works like a champ now...
    Hey Dusty,

Thank you for your reply.

Maintenance: Honestly, very little maintenance has been performed to the transmission itself aside from monitoring fluid levels. It has been serviced once(when I took it to the transmission shop to investigate the problem).
    I have not replaced any transmission parts, there was as issue with acceleration/jerking that sounds alot like the TPS issue I've read so much about, the dealership fixed that quickly. As for the engine, within the first year there was some issue that caused the dealership to replace the heads and I recently replaced the water pump & belts. Other than that it's been pretty trouble free.

Troubleshooting: I have taken it to both a local transmission shop and the dealership, niether one was able to pinpoint the issue(nor were they able to get it to act up while it was in there possesion) Basically, they both said to drive it until it gets worse or just get the rebuild...

I say limp mode because that is what the dealership said I was describing(if i remember correctly)
    The transmission shop said that it most likely was metal flakes floating around getting attracted to a magnatized silinoid(or something like that), causing the gears to get stuck. They said they could just replace the electronics, but weren't confident that would solve the issue...

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer, i really do appriciate you taking the time to help me troubleshoot this issue.

-Glenn
  • dervin1dervin1 Posts: 9
    What kind of tranny do I have, 1998 Dodge Dakota 3.9V6, auto Sport ex cab, 2WD? I need to change the transmission filter and oil, what kind of kit do I need?
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • ebtrrebtrr Posts: 6
    Thanks fuzzy. I've hardly been driving the truck but it is still making the noise when I do. Would still like to get it fixed sometime. A couple questions

Is $600 for repair in the vehicle, the shop pulling the tranny for repairs, or for repairs on a tranny that you pulled yourself? Do you have any advice on finding a reputable transmission shop? I finally have an auto repair place I trust but have never had tranny work done there and I don't think I trust the national brands like AAMCO and the like. Have you pulled a tranny from a Dakota and if so how involved is it?

Thanks so mucn for your help!
    I have a 98 5.2 4x4 V8. I always take it in to have it done because they hook up a machine to the tranny coolant lines that flushes out ALL the fluid out and fresh fluid in. If you just drain it or drop the pan and change the filter you only get a fraction of the fluid changed, less than half. It is pricey to do it that way (~$100) but worth it. Quick lube places will do it but will not do the filter (Valvoline at least.) Any reasonable shop should be able to do it with the filter.
    Quite a while ago I paid the dealer plenty to change the seal between the tranny and the transfer case. I realized much later (after the work warranty had expired) that teh 4WD indicator light no longer worked when the truck was in 4WD. I think it started when they worked on it bu can't be sure. I am not paying them to fix it and will let it go rather than pay to have it fixed. I got under the truck and looked over the transfer case thoroughly and could not find any electrical connectors loose or disconnected. Any idea where this sensor is or what else could cause this? Thanks!
    Glenn,

You have a 46RE transmission.

The first thing I would check is the operation of the Throttle Valve Cable, the throttle linkage at the engine Throttlebody, and the pivot at the transmission. If this cable or the pivot is sticking it can cause this type of problem. There is an adjustment required at the Throttlebody end of the cable (where it attaches to the linkage) that is critical.

I've never opened up a transmission that didn't have some "metal flakes" in the fluid or in the pan. In my opinion, a few is normal. If you had the equivalent of a tablespoon, I'd be a little more worried. At this point I'd be more concerned about how much lost friction material was in the system. This is the stuff that will get past the filter and clog passages in the valve body or pile up in a servo piston bore.

Other possibilities:

*Transmission filter clogged or restricted fluid flow due to clogged cooling lines.

*Gearshift linkage or cable binding or misadjusted

*Defective Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

*Electronic Governor circuit problem. Check for signs of moisture or corrosion in the transmission electrical connectors.

*Defective Electronic Governor Solenoid or Sensor.

*Dirty Transmission Valve Body. A sticking/binding 1-2 shift Valve, Governor Plug, or Throttle Valve in the Valve Body.

*Front Band loose, worn, or misadjusted. Front Servo piston binding.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Well, you either have a A500, or 30RH/31RH/32RH, or 42RE.

In either case the transmission pan gasket is the same for all of these versions.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dge330dge330 Posts: 10
    Dusty have a ? for you.was gonna pull trans to put in a new trq converter and as i was removing all the plugs from trans,electrical that is.the one on the side was dripping trans fluid form it and the plug was saturated with fluid.previously i told you i had a ploblem with the converter satying locked up at all times.do you think it is possible this is shortnig out inside this and causing the converter to stay locked up?it is the box on the drivers side it is the one that sends P R N BACK TO PCM
    any thoughts on this?
    No.

The item you are describing is the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS). The TRS is actuated by the Manual Valve Lever inside the transmission and reacts to different positions of that lever depending on the position of the vehicle's gearshift.

On RE & RH series, the TRS only provides three functions, none of which involve the PCM:

*Supplies power to the Park/Neutral starting circuit

*Switches/supplies power to the reverse lamps

* Supplies electrical signals to illuminate the gear range indicator lamps on the instrument cluster

On RFE series only, the TRS also contains the transmission temperature sensor.

Of course there should be no ATF leaking from the TRS or around the gasket that's mounted on the TRS. Common problem on GMs, but don't see that very often on Mopars. You can have a leak at the bracket that the TRS mounts to, but you need a special adaptor tool to remove it.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Hey Dusty,

Thank you for all of the info! It looks like I have some work ahead of me.(and a bit of studying on how to check/fix all those things)

At the moment, the truck is performing like champ. I guess I'll wait until it acts up again and start at the top of the list.

Thanks again for all your help,

-Glenn
  • slade25slade25 Posts: 1
    Hello,

PO783 code comes up intermittently for some time now. I can erase it on the OBD II, it will go for a while but come back (not a surprise I suppose). I had the transmission in for a fluid change out a couple months back - it was inspected and got a general cleaning. Told the guys I had an occasional 783 fault, murphy's law - it wasn't there that day. Anyway, they noted it but couldn't see any issues at the time. The 3-4 solenoid is a possible problem. Has anyone run across anything like this and am I in the tracks for a big tranny job if I don't so something soon ? The vehicle has 92,000 miles, in great shape, drives well and I'd like to keep it.

Steve
    The P0783 is a 3-4 Shift Malfunction, which by itself doesn't tell us much. Possibilities:

*Overdrive switch circuit malfunction. Intermittent switch or bad connection in overdrive electrical circuit.

*Coolant temperature sensor defective.

*Throttle Position Sensor irratic/intermittent

*Rear Wheel Speed Sensor defective.

*Low hydraulic pressure: clogged filter or cooling lines. Intermittent governor operation.

*Overdrive Solenoid weak or intermittent connection/short in circuit.

*Sticking/binding 3-4 Shift Valve in valve body. Valve body dirty.

*Overdrive Piston sticking, leaky piston seal.

*Overdrive Clutch worn or is close to failure

*PCM problem or bad connections to PCM

Remove the electrical connectors to the transmission and check for signs of moisture, corrosion, or bent terminals. Check the electrical ground path from the transmission to the body. There should be less tha 0.5 ohms of DC resistance.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I am experiencing a loud rattling noise at the front of the transmission when in park, reverse, neutral, or drive. Also, when trying to drive the truck I have to really step on the gas and rush the motor to start the wheels moving. Once moving, the truck slips in and out of gear with me. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Is this vehicle a Dakota? What year, what engine do you have and how many miles on the vehicle?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Yes, this is a 1989 4x4 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L V6 engine. It current has 202,000 miles. I bought the truck with 187,000 miles on it.

Thanks