Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• scoopyexscoopyex Posts: 31
    Sounds like it has Dexron syndrome. have your transmission serviced with the right fluid from Chrysler
  • cactus93cactus93 Posts: 10
    Thanks for your reply. If jiffy lube put the wrong fluid in, I wonder if I can hold them accountable? Maybe wishful thanking. I have an appointment with the master mechanic and service manager at the local Dodge dealer on monday so we'll see.
    Once before when I used my remote start, I got the CEL code 1698, but since then it has never returned. Maybe related?

Any other thoughts, anyone?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    Quick-change shops usually "exchange" the transmission fluid by sucking it out of the disptick tube, then refilling it. If that's what they did (as opposed to the more expensive and time-consuming method of dropping the pan, cleaning it, replacing the filter and pan gasket, and adjusting the bands), then your transmission is on its way to a rebuild. Those dipstick exchanges will also suck all the debris from the pan back into the system where they can cause damage - it also does nothing for the filter or gets any fluid out of the torque converter. It's the equivalent of running your engine low on motor oil, refilling it, and saying it was "changed".

I got talked into one of these exchanged back in 1992 with an F150... just a few months later, the dealer had to rebuild the whole trans, even though the fluid was still relatively red. Never settled for anything short of a complete trans service after that, and have never had a trans problem in any of my trucks since.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Would a full service "drop pan trans service" possible salvage transmission or is it toast already.
    Considering you've gone 5000 miles since the fluid exchange and you're losing gears already, I'm a little pessimistic. The slipping was what started happening in the case of that F150... I made an appointment at the dealer and left home with all 4 forward gears (although all of them would slip from time to time). By the time I got to the dealer just 10 miles away, all I had was first and it was slipping into neutral frequently.

Good luck Monday - let us know what happens.

Ok I will.
    Thanks
    Final update:

The visit at the dealer went well. The transmission was overfilled by jiffy lube by more than a quart. Also, there were two software updates for my year truck, one for PCM for spark-knock and one for TCM for shifts between 2-3 and interlock shutter. They did the updates and a full transmission service and it seem to be resolved. The only thing I feel now is out of balance tires.

Thanks
    Glad it was just an overfill (which can be just as dangerous as an underfill) instead of actual damage. Don't hesitate to let that JL manager know what happened and that it cost you downtime and money.

• First off I have given great advice from being a owner of the hideous 1998 buick regal ls. Just bought this truck yesterday and in desperate need of help.

The o/d button on the left side of the steering column is not working at all. I changed the switch and nothing changed.
    After doing some searching on the net I changed the Speed Sensor and Nuetral Park Sensor on tranny NO CHANGE now I am running out of cash and options. Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue.. I dont do any hauling and running in O/D off always is going to break my tranny or engine I can tell... I need to know how to fix or rig this truck into running in O/D on always instead of off. The truck shifts smooth through all gears and I did a tranny fluid and filter as well and cannot figure out what the problem is. I checked all fuses and put a test light on the switch and it is getting power. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!! Sincerly Gary

p.s running at 50 pmh I am pushin 3K rpms and the truck slows quickly so I know I am stuck in overdrive off...Pushing the button does nothing. :cry:
  • dewittedewitte Posts: 3
    Hi - I have a 3.9L Dodge Dakota with what I believe is a 42RH transmission. I know I've read that the 96 had an electronic transmission, but (1) I don't see a control box where someone said it should be, (2) I have a TV cable, and (3) I only count maybe 4 wires going in the side. All that being said - I'm having weird shift problems. I just changed my fluid and filter per a number of posts and the first time out, it was flawless - I didn't feel a single shift (but it DID shift) and took it up to 60 on the interstate without a single problem. I drove it about 20 minutes later and it was back to not shifting into 3rd, or so I think - I'm going maybe 40, take my foot off of the gas and the truck lunges forward like when you downshift in a manual transmission. What's odd is that as I get down to maybe 9mph or so, the truck starts stuttering because it's now in some higher gear (like 3rd?) so I shift it to 2nd so I can stop at a light. When changing the fluid, it was absolutely horrible - gunky and dirty and some metal flakes on the magnet, but not outrageous. The fact that it shifted all the way through the first time out seems hopeful. There is a sensor(?) near the back of the overdrive unit and inside the transmission with the cover off I saw a couple of solenoids (maybe 2 or 3?).

So, what should I check next?
  • purrjpurrj Posts: 5
    Hi, thank you. I went to a new mechanic and he gave me the same news, although he did use an additive which seems to have almost alleviated the problem. He said if it didn't work within the first 1oo miles, then I need an overhaul. He quoted $1200. Is that about right? I trust this guy, but still just checking. the truck is a "97 and has 54,000 miles on it. I know the additive is a temp fix. Can I get a used transmission for less? I plan on selling the truck in a year or so, and want it running properly before I sell it. Thank you!
  • obtampa1obtampa1 Posts: 1
    I, too, have a 2005 Dak & exactly like yours, srs49, mine will do it when I first pull out in the morning and then shifts like a top for the rest of the day & it sometimes doesn't even do every day when I first pull out. The only time it ever repeated the problem in a single day was when I was pulling a heavy travel trailer. Did you guys ever have the tranny looked at? were u told this was just normal for this vehicle? I'm worried that I might damage the tranny (further?) if I tow the travel trailer and the problem is just a little more persistent.
  • I did have Certified Transmissions look at the transmission, on the rec of several where I work. I think they're pretty good, but were unable to diagnose the issue with certainty. They replaced a 'cheap' part for around $250, but that didn't resolve the problem. Next they gave a 50-50 chance of fixing it with the replacement of the 45RFE shift soleoid - about $600. I declined. I discovered if I start out in D2, and run it through 1st and 2nd before shifting into D, I never hit the rough shift. So I've been doing that, buying some time and hoping to come across a better plan than replacing $600 parts hoping to hit the right one! I avoid pulling heavy stuff like the boat as much as possible. The truck is a 2004 quad, and is approaching 140k miles.
  • dewittedewitte Posts: 3
    Updated from #817 - Today I started in 2 instead of D and it shifted fine and then when I got around 35, I switched to D and it shifted into drive without issue. However, if I slow down to maybe 10 - it stays in 3rd so I put it back in 2. This seems to work for now. I might try re-changing the fluid/filter again next week just to see if driving it has flushed out more grime. I tried adjusting the TV cable, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I guess I've always wondered what it was like to drive a manual shift with the shifter on the steering wheel, so now I kind of know.
  • Final update: my trans (46re/2001 dak/5.9) is running great! There must have been some residue in the trans that had to flush out over time. I have noticed that the TC lockup tends to work better in warm weather, but in any case it is 1000% better. Thanks to all and esp. Dasboot72 for all the help.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    No, the tranny has never been touched or looked at. Like I said, it only does it on occasion.
    Update:
    After balancing the tires, I now can tell it is definitely a transmission problem. Took it back to dealer and now they are saying its the torque converter. Can it be just the torque converter or transmission also. I'm getting mixed advice, some say transmission is making torque converter go out and others are saying the problem is only the torque converter.

Please advise.
    Dusty,
    Hi, I need your advice on this please.

I Have a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7L 4X4.

In my earlier post the advice I was given by the dealer and one transmission shop was that my torque converter was slipping during interlock. The problem was more noticeable after my tires got balanced. When truck in neutral or at any speed smooth, no tire balance problems. Now in an attempt to get a third opinion, one shop advised that I have a clogged fuel injector. They claimed computer showed, pass side bank was running a little rich. He concluded the torque converter was not bad after getting the truck to breakdown or sputter without the interlock engaged at any speed as long as motor rpms were below 2500. Now I can feel it too. He advised STP fuel injector cleaner at a high concentrate and blow it out on the freeway. After doing just that with no change in sputter (actually after a few passes on the freeway with a very heavy foot it sputtered worse). After that he felt a clogged injector or failing injector was the problem. I bought two injectors and he put them in, no change, he moved them and still no change.
    **Please note that during all this I have no engine code.
    He also replaced the TPS, no fix. Another mechanic felt that one of the coils might be breaking down. I bought one and put it in and test drove it in all 8 positions, no fix.

To date, the symptoms and attempted fixes have been as follows:
    First felt vibration at 45 mph
    Started feeling it more, went to dealer.
    Drove a week and began to feel more noticeably.
    After fuel injector cleaner, no fix, maybe worse.
    The problem feels like a very week spark or misfire below 2500 rpms, also slight sputter or hesitation during hard acceleration.

First Diagnostic:
    Transmission fluids slightly dirty, had them change it.
    Old worn plugs, changed myself with exact replacements and proper gap settings (0.40).
    Tires out of balance, Balanced them.
    Flash Updates for ECM and TCM, updated them.
    Went home $450 lighter, still not fixed.

Second Diagnostic:
    Torque Converter slipping during interlock. Both stated by dealer and first tranny shop.
    or possible bad TCM (no codes)

Third Diagnostic:
    Got engine to "misfire or sputter" without interlock engaged, not torque converter.
    Clogged injector, ran truck hard with double dose of STP, no fix.
    Bought 2 injectors and moved them around, no fix.

Fourth Diagnostic:
    Possible bad or faulty coil, bought one and played ring around the motor, no fix.

Please help!!
    Currently I'm out over $600 and fells worst than when I started.
    No OBD codes.

Thanks for your help,
    Jason
  • instinct1instinct1 Posts: 1
    hey everyone new to the sight and would first start off wth a hello! ive been searching through the threads for most of the night and i like how there is so much information. But unfortionetly im not finding anything for my issue so here it goes.

Memorial weekend I got stuck in a clay mud hole, was rocking it back and forth in OD D 2 1 4HI 4L just to get out and had to get pulled out. Drove down to the river, washed up. drove back fine.. Started it up late to go some where but put it in any of the gears including reverse, put on the gas and wouldnt move. Or it does after I shut i off then it engage a gear but for such a short time. Then its like its in neutral when it is in R OD D 2 1.. Tried driving it but it is high reving like it isnt shifing into gear. Checked the fluid, its still pink but smelled kinda burnt. I am thinking im going to have to do a tranny rebuild, but my buddy and I were doing research tonight and it seems like its a electrical issue maybe a sensor. What do you guys think?