Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2001 Dakota 4x4.....when I stop at a light or drive thru, with the brake on, the truck will lurch forward. Does not happen when it is in neutral.....mechanic says it is a tranny problem......he is thinking some type of sensor. He said it feels like or is starting out in second gear from a stop. I notice a loss of power from start and my gas mileage SUCKS! I enjoy doing my own work when I can. I am wondering however if this could be a throttle position sensor. What do you guys think?
  • Nope, doesn't sound like TPS but its a cheap replacement to make the test.
  • just wont go into reverse, all of a sudden, and the check engine light came on.
    OBD #0736 =reverse incorrect ratio....anyone have any ideas, the dodge dealer wants $1200 to drop it and pull apart and inspect, they were more interrested in selling me a rebuilt for $3500.
  • Hello all I AM NEW TO FORUMS SO BEAR WITH ME
    I have a 99 Dakota 5.2l and am having shifting problems I have replaced all the obvious sensors to no avail other then all my codes have cleared. What it is doing is hard to explain basically it will not shift into overdrive and when you try and drive it it shifts but slowly and only if you do not press on the gas pedal more then a quarter and if you do put it to the floor its like it goes into neutral and over revs help and ideas please because I really like the truck and am at wits end.
  • ksylvaksylva Posts: 1
    hey tomcappa, did you ever figure it out, my 2004 dakota does the same thing?
  • Hi, I have a 2001 dodge dakota v6 automatic. We responded and had part replaced when they had the recall. For the last few weeks, when I start it up I can not get it to disengage out of park.
    Called dealership, they were no help. Wondered if anyone else has had this problem and what I should check. Not sure what I am looking for in the steering column. How do you take it apart and where on the column should I look. Read some reviews mentioning a relay on the brake lever, or button, or to lube with lithium grease?????
  • did you ever figure out the problem? my 98 has the same issue.
  • i have a 98 dakota 4x4 3.9l, i was driving and lost eveything out of nowhere like it was in neutral i played around with gear shifter and 4x4 i got it to work but now its like its in low gear but shifts all gears but while in 3rd or OD it still drives at 45km per hour at 3500 rpm checked trnny fluid looks and smells fine so i checked t-case fluid as well all good, im clueless as to what this might be any help would be appreciated
  • I had a similar problem turned out to be catalytic converter. Try that good luck.
  • My 2002 Dakota started having this problem. I am unable to locate your pictures on Edmunds. I can not find your page on Edmunds as I do not find "Browse Members" location. Perhaps this feature is no longer available. Any suggestions on finding the pictures appreciated. pickupsticks
  • Have same truck, same problems.
    I went to erevy thing in the book, replace this an that. I mean every thing. Turn out to be the catalytic converter. had fail. Man i spent on tranny repair a lot of money. Turn out to be a very enexpensive thing
  • you might want to check the brake pedal there is sensor that deals with the brake pedal that unlocks your shifter so you can shift.
  • Have been experiencing a slippage of the first to second gear shift on my auto transmission. Under very slow accelleration and letting off of the gas at the time of shift into 2nd it seems to shift ok, however, using just moderate or normal accelleration causes the first to "clunk" into 2nd and the other gears appear OK.

Have just changed the tranny fluid, had the pan cleaned right out and fresh fluid put in. Seems just slightly better but it still clunks under moderate accelleration. Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks in advance!
  • georgeh71georgeh71 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I have a 2001 dakota 4.7 doing the same thing, feels like a studder, but it only happens cruising in overdrive. i have changed all the plugs, coil packs, tps and the air idle sensor. i had the trans rebuilt not to long ago and had this problem before and still have it after. does anybody have an answer?
  • did you get it fix i am have the same . no overdrive
  • first of all stop throwing parts, would be cheaper to take it to a repair shop!
    next does your truck have tilt steering or airbag very possible you have a broken wire or bad clockspring in steering column. you need to find what wires come from the switch and check to see if there is an open, broken wire or bad clockspring
  • sherry35sherry35 Posts: 1
    Ok, so I know absolutly nothing about vehicles. I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T. Today I noticed that when i put the truck into park the little orange gear indicator was not where it should be. The truck went into park fine and when i started it back up it started fine. Driving along when i went from 60 kms to 80kms...the gear did not shift (automatic transmission) I pulled over, put the truck into park, waited a few minutes and drove off. This time with no issues during my 30 minute drive. However, tonight it did the exact same thing and would not shift until i pulled over put it back into park and then tried again. Any ideas? I just want to know what i'm looking at. The truck is at a garage now but of course i am freaking out not knowing what it is. Any suggestions at the issue would be greatly appreciated!
  • I have a 2001 4.7 v8 auto with 97k mi that has a "clunk" during the up and down shift between 2nd at third. I can let off the gas during that period which helps to mitigate the harshness of the shift. It's been doing this for the last year or so. I've had the truck into a local shop twice and into the local dodge dealership twice as well since it started. The dealership reprogrammed the software that manages the shifting two times. Each time the shifting problem went away for 1-2 weeks before coming back. Now they want $2500 to open and close the tranny, but they are not even sure that's the etiology of the problem. The local auto shop could not identify the problem either. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to just buy a new transmission and see if that takes care of the problem. One thing that is weird is that the check engine light has not gone off this entire time.

Don't know what to do.
  • dakquaddakquad Posts: 3
    Had exact same thing happening on 2002 quad cab 4.7L 45re trans. Found that with lite throttle it would clunk into 2nd gear. If I was hard on the throttle out of the hole it would shift better with out a clunk.
    Had my friend at dodge drop pan and he found a broken spring actuator for 1st gear. It was very hard to see spring broken but it was. those springs . Replaced and all was fine.
    Bad TPS sensor happened right after that. Noticed no clunking on shifting but noticed tach racing up and down with a steady pressure on throttle at about 40mph. Replaced that and all is fine.
  • jeremy69jeremy69 Posts: 1
    i have a 99 dakota with the 5.2 and the 46re trans my truck did the same the under lit acceleration it seemed fine but when i got on to it it clunked and shook the truck pretty bad it turned out to be the drive shell had beat it self up badly and caused the trans to slip in first im not sure if that would be your problem and it suck to try to fix this problem you would have to tare apart the whole trans to fix it