Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• tonym5tonym5 Posts: 6
    Thanks Guys
    I had a mechanic tell me that it is the overdrive sensor. Approx $180 for the part a 3 hrs labor. My question is if that will solve the hard shifting and the fact that I have to ease off the gas pedal to shift? Is there anything else the mechanic should do while he is in there other than replace the filter? Thanks for your help thus far
    Regards,
    Tony
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Thanks! Obviously my 2000 hard list is out of date!!!

Bests,
    Dusty
    Overdrive Sensor? Did he mean the Overdrive Solenoid?

On the 42RE hard shifts can be caused by the Lockup Solenoid. This is a valve body repair and can be done without removing the transmission from the vehicle. The Pressure Regulator Solenoid could also be malfunctioning, or you have a dragging Front Band, although that's very rare. (usually the Band Apply levers get bent causing slipping.)

Sorry about steering you wrong on the P1740 code. My list is either incorrect or out of date.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I have a 2001 Dakota 4X4, 4.7L, 45RFE transmission.
    My check engine light came on while driving and I noticed that the transmission had dropped out of overdrive. When I started off from a stop I noticed that the transmission had not downshifted, and that it was trying to start out in third gear. I now have to manually shift and only have 2 and 3 gears forward and reverse.
    I checked the codes and it gave me a P0700 code. This code only says Transmission Control Module.
    I purchased a TCM, at a cost of $800.00. I installed the unit, with battery cables off.
    I still don't have any shifting of the transmission.
    Is there something else that P0700 means?
    According to my list a P0700 is "Transmission Control System Malfunction."

The first thing you should check are all fuses, both at the instrument panel and the Power Distribution Center (PDC) that's adajcent to the vehicle battery. In particular, an open IOD fuse will cause the transmission to go into Limp Mode. Starting in second or third gear is symptomatic of the transmission being in Limp Mode.

On Chryslers especially, the next thing to check is the electrical connectors at the transmission. Your vehicle is old enough to have developed corroded terminals at the connectors. An open Governor or Shift Solenoid circuits can cause this problem.

The only component quality problem that I'm aware of on early 545RFE transmissions were bent accumulator plates. Chrysler fixed this problem soon after the 545RFE was introduced, but depending on when the vehicle was manufacturered your 2001 may have an early version.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dervin1dervin1 Posts: 9
    My dakota just started to delay in shifting from 1st to 2nd gears. The RPMs have to get to 2500-3000, the speedometer isn't working until the RPMs get to around 3000, then it shifts into 2nd gear and the speedometer starts working. No other shifting problems, no slipping. Brake light is on, ABS light and check engine light too.
    Any suggestions on what it needs? Speed sensor?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    The speedometer symptom is the key. You probably have a defective Rear Wheel Speed Sensor or corroded terminals at the sensor's connector. This sensor supplies an input signal that is used to operate the speedometer as well as determine transmission shifting pattern.

This sensor is located on the rear differential housing and is replaceable without removing the differential cover. It is mounted the outside of the housing with one bolt.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • angel16angel16 Posts: 1
    I have put three transfer cases in my Dodge in one year. I can't figure out what the problem is with my truck. I am getting ready to buy another transfer case for it again. Can someone please help me with this problem I am having or tell me what I can do about it?

Thank very Much,
    Angel6
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,081
    Can you please give us more details like:
    *)Which xfer case does your truck have (the 2000 model-year was supplied with at least 2 different ones)
    *)Why are you replacing the xfer cases so frequently? (Should easilly last the life of the vehicle because you should be in 2wheel drive mode 99% of the time)
  • pappycpappyc Posts: 3
    1999 Dodge Dakota Auto. V6 4 x 4
    Stalls when engaging to reverse, when engine is cold. It is ok after driving 10 miles or so.. HELP
    Had you heard any strange noises from the truck recently?

How many miles on the vehicle?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • tonym5tonym5 Posts: 6
    The indicator for my auto trans does not highlight the "P" when I shift into Park. As a result, the truck won't start since it appears the trans is not in Park. If I push hard on the shift lever, the Park will highlight. Is there an adjustment to the linkage to allow it to go into Park easily
    Thanks for your past help. It saved me a lot of money.
  • Hi i had a 2001 Dakota Sport 4x4 4.9L with some tranny issues, i notice that over 70km/h when the overdrive comes on that it will randomly kick off and my RPM's surge up about 500rpm or so then the overdrive will re-enguage and then dis-enguace, this happens both on slight inclines as well as on flat stretches of road. I notice that if i keep the vehicle under slight acceleration this problem doesnt occur, its only when i try to maintain my speed. Is this the TPS or something else?

Thanks for your time.
    What is the maximum pull weight for a 98 Dodge Dakota ext cab, with a 3.8 V6? I don't have a manual so I need to know.
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    What gear ratio, 3.55 or 3.92? 4x2 or 4x4?
    I don't know. It isn't a 4 x 2 or 4 x 4. I am guessing a 3.55. What is the model of the transmission for this motor?
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • sunburnsunburn Posts: 319
    My sources only go back to 1999, which should be close. For a 3.9L, 4x4, it is 5000 lbs. It is 4800 lbs for a 3.9L, 4x2. Both are for automatic transmissions. Manual transmissions lower the rating by 500 lbs.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,081
    I find it interesting that a manual xmission LOWERS the tow-rating by 500 lbs. I know a guy that burned up automatic xmissions towing a bulldozer on a tripple-axle trailer (not with Dakota!)

This same guy next orderd a MANUAL xmission (same type of Dodge ram truck)and never again had transmission issues while doing the same work that the automatic xmission whimped out on.