Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Brakes Problems

andy36andy36 Posts: 9
I have a 2000 tundra that has the ultimate front brake problem. I was told by the dealer that front brake vibration was normal and to just drive the vehicle. I had it serviced at 76k including the brakes. My truck has 92k on it and my whole right side front just collapsed on me driving on a paved road. It took out my fender and door. The body shop said all the bolts vibrated loose from the bad brakes. Are there any other similar stories out there. I am thinking about hiring a lawyer because this could have been real serious.

Comments

• ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    I have a 2000 tundra that has the ultimate front brake problem. I was told by the dealer that front brake vibration was normal and to just drive the vehicle. I had it serviced at 76k including the brakes. My truck has 92k on it and my whole right side front just collapsed on me driving on a paved road. It took out my fender and door. The body shop said all the bolts vibrated loose from the bad brakes. Are there any other similar stories out there. I am thinking about hiring a lawyer because this could have been real serious

Time for a new body shop. Every part in the brake system can break and the frontend will not collapse (unless you hit something because you could not stop). The front end colapsing is caused by a balljoint failing because it was not replaced via preventative maintenance. It is your fault (or the mechanic that last inspected it if you took it in regulalry). That is something that, number 1 would have been detected by a quality mechanic at the last alignment, and number 2, does not fail over night. Preventative maintenance is your responsibility. I am not saying that the ball joint should not last 200k (Ford is lucky to get 75K), but if the part is failing early, regular maintenance will catch it. I have encountered people that have driven 75K without changing the oil, and then saying that their Toyota was junk cause the engine froze at under 100K. HELLO.
  • andy36andy36 Posts: 9
    HELLO the ball joint did not fail all the bolts in the front hub came loose and the front end collapsed. AS I explained they all vibrated loose from the front end shake during braking. This front end was checked and tightened when I the new rotors were installed at 76k. My truck is always well maintained with oil changes every 2500 miles, and regular services as per the manual. These trucks were supposed to be fixed by the dealer because even toyota said the braking system was defective. Toyota has refused to fix any that were out of warranty. This is crap. You dont admit to making a faulty product and then refuse to fix it. Chech out toyota tundra brake recall and read all the horror stories. Mine is only one in a million.
  • lc91306lc91306 Posts: 1
    My step-father has been buying Toyota truck since 2002, but this time the 2004 double cab he bought turned into a nightmare, he was driving when the ball joint came off the right passenger side causing right front end to collapse, luckily no one got hurt but if this were to happen 10 mins before the out come might have been fatal, he was driving 65 mph on a freeway over looking the ocean with his family ages 50 to 11 months old. Toyota motor Corp hasn't been very helpful to investigate the matter. The truck had 75,000 miles when this happened.
    This is the same thing that happened to me. It cost 6k to repair. I ended up putting drilled and slotted rotors on my truck and ceramic pads to stop the brake chatter. This was at my own expense. People are trying to start a class action lawsuit aginst toyota. Go to recalltoyotatundra brakes.com and tell them your story. There are many stories like yours there. Andy
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    Both the ball joint and brakes are on recall at Toyota's expense.
    I have a 2000 tundra and toyota has refused to fix the problem. They admitted to the problem in a service letter to dealers but would only fix if the trucks were still under warranty. Is this recall new?
    Andy
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    I had both done to my truck. The brakes in 04 and the ball joints in 05. My truck only has 26K on it.

My truck is an 02.
  • Just to let all Toyota owners awair of the problem that I had just recently experienced, please read below.

As I was travelling @ 100 Kmh (I'm Cdn) my fron end slammed to the ground, I had finally came to a complete stop and as I got out my vehicle, I noticed my tire had fallen OFF from it's assembly. Now that the truck is in the repair shop, we are patiently waiting for the lower ball joint however they are on back order becasue they have no stock on North America, hmmmmmm I wonder why their is no stcok? becasue pretty much every Tundra owver is complaining about this exact same issue.

I had recently found out that Toyota is having problems with the Ball joints, and what Toyota Corp has told me is that "they don't know of such a recall" or as they call it "Campaign"

Until now, I had never had any problems with the vehicle, it has never seen a Toyota dealership for any maintenace, the thing worked like a Charm ewvery time, I have a 108,000 KM on the vehicle and this should not have happened. People want to talk about regular maintenace? the thing has been at a servcice station regulary, I own 33 Franchises in Canada. I know how they are to be maintained.
  • dcratesdcrates Posts: 1
    14k on an 06 double cab and the front end is "klunking" under stearing or when the wheel is up against a curb, I turn the stearing wheel and it sounds and feels loose making a bad sound. Also when under braking it will klunk sometimes. Any ideas? It goes in Friday to the dealer.

Also, dealer said "Toyota has really tightened up on loaner cars" What? 30k dropped in January to buy this thing and no love? Anyone else have this issue?
  • gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    The recall only covers '02-'04 model years on the Tundra. Your '00 was not part of the recall. Check the NHTSA website for the details. You can look up any recalls that have been issued for your particular vehicle. :D
  • Yes I also have the brake vibration problem. I have a fairly new 02. This should not be happening right? I thought it was just because I tow alot so I had the drums turned because they were glazed. But Now 2 months later same thing happening with vib and I am not even towing anything right now. Do you suppose getting high performance TRD brakes this would help? Do anyone know?
    I bought my own drilled and slotted rotors and installed them. I also installed ceramic brake pads to reduce heat and made sure my lug nuts were torqued to the right torque. I also sold the piece of [non-permissible content removed] about 3 months later and bought a nissan titan.
  • Have they fixed the front end problems on the 2007 Tundra?

I'm considering buying one, but would like to know if it and other problems have been addressed.

Thanks
    Jimmy
  • My continuing brake problem with my 2002 Tundra (~44000 mi)is summarized at the nhtsa site ODI Number: 10150678 under Component: Service Brakes, Hydraulic. I recognize my problem in most of the prior 20 entries. Didn't discover this forum until now.

Message #6 by tundradude "Both the ball joint and brakes are on recall at Toyota's expense" Can anyone help me further in verifying this statement. I live in the Colorado mountains and experiencing a downhill run is a terrifying experience. Good vehicle for Iowa maybe.

Help will be much appreciated. Larry T.
  • 650spx650spx Posts: 48
    Andy the repair is covered under 3/36 factory warranty. There is no reason for toyota to pay for your brake problem. It's not like your out of warranty by a few weeks or a a few thousand miles. You are out by 4 years and 60,000 miles. You can pay for all the updates if you realty think thay need to be done. As far as you accident things don't just fall apart I think there is more to this accident then your telling us.I one post you say the wheel fell off and in another post you say the ball joint broke. Then you say the ball joint was ok.
    Toyota knew there was a problem with the ball joints on the tundra and the front brakes. They only would fix them if the vehicle was still under warranty. This was on a service bulletin that they sent to all dealers. This should have been a recall item no matter what the miles were on the vehicle. The front wheel fell off because the ball joint collapsed. Go online and see all the other people that are having these same problems.
    Hey Andy I am not trying to start trouble here but you said this. (HELLO the ball joint did not fail all the bolts in the front hub came loose and the front end collapsed. AS I explained they all vibrated loose from the front end shake during braking.) So did the ball joint fail or did all the front hub bolts/nuts loosen up/break?? Now if I am correct you say your truck is a 2000 if so then you truck dose not meet the ball joint recall criteria and Toyota is not responsible which is why they were never done under warranty/recall. OK so back to your other story the front hub came loose/fell off. This is most likely a possible bad axle or wheel bearing lug or nuts not tight. This would be either your fault or the place that services the truck's fault. By the way a bad wheel bearing, worn axle or loose lug nuts will all will cause a vibration when breaking. Either way it is not the responsibility of Toyota or Toyota motor company. I can tell you this the next time you get your car serviced try asking them to look at your problem (vibration). Instead of you saying it's the brakes check the brakes and two ball joints WARRANTY RECALL BULLETINS (like you know what your taking about)! I know the Toyota tundra very well If you relay had a break problem (that pertains to the tsb) It would have started at 10,000 miles back in 2000 or 2001 and have been handled under warranty. I also know if Toyota or your insurance company thought your accident was any fault of Toyota than an investigation would have been done. All in all your wrong time to suck it up and pay $$$$.
    dont give a rats [non-permissible content removed] how well you know the tundra. The 2000 was a piece of [non-permissible content removed]. There was a braking problem from day one. All the dealers wanted to do was turn the rotors every 12k and hope the problem would go away.If this was such a great truck why dont you read the other stories about this problem from the 100's of others on line. There is a reason that I drive a titan now.
    Andy I am still wondering what failed on your truck the ball joint or the hub. If you look back in your old posts your story conflicts itself. I would also like to let you know there is not ball joint recall for the 2000 tundra.
    the body shop told me that it was complete ball joint failure and that is why the front passenger side collapsed taking the hub and all the workings with it. This happened when i was leaving a stop light on paved road. Toyota refused to recall the vehicle for front brake problems that caused excessive vibration when braking, this was a major cause of the joint failure. If you research this, toyota knew of the brake problem but it would cost them 3k to fix. They even sent a service bulletin to all their dealers offering to fix the problem but only if the vehicle was still under warranty. One person i talked to online had to sue the dealer to have this done. every tundra from 01-06 has had a ball joint recall. Why not the 00 it was the same truck as the o1. except the new braking compensator mounted on front passenger wheel housing. I have nothing against toyota. My wife drives a rav4 and my son a corolla but i will never buy another tundra the titan is just so much more truck.