Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caliber Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    bwallace: In addition to dave smith motors, there is even a larger Jeep dealer that has 139 Commanders, 103 Grand Cherokee's, 144 Liberty's and 39 Wranglers, I believe Yark Jeep in Toledo, Ohio the Worlds largest Jeep dealer. Anyone know for sure?

Farout
  • renchbnderrenchbnder Posts: 13
    Dave Smith just had an ad in spokane newspaper, that they were taking order for the commander and the compass
  • Trying to understand your possible deal; $250 per month for 72 months (6 years)= $18,000. I do not know if you can finance a Caliber for 6 years this cheaply. A $20,000 Honda for $234 per month cannot be done - even at 84 months (7 years) = 19,656. Once again, we are only talking car cost, as interest has to be included. Your friend has to have made a down payment or trade-in. The only reason I have broken this down is because I do not think you can even purchase the base Caliber for $18,000, which has to include taxes, title, tags and financing. Hope you can find your dream car!
    renchbnder: Here in Missouri there are a few dealers that have the Compass' in stock. They are the high end ones, and are $23,000 + price marks. I do not see how anyone will pay that much for a Compass when they can get a Liberty 4x4 for less. (a few hundred less) They are basically a Caliber RT with a jeep front end. The Patriot is more my taste for a small Jeep, but I have a Liberty CRD that I am bound to for at least 5 more years. Yes, I took out a 72 month loan. The darn thing better be doing great for 130,000 miles or else....my sweetheart just might not renew my wedding contract when our 42 anneversery then. This Sept. it will be 37 years.

Farout
    rrrustyfan: This has through Chrysler Financial at 0% for 72 months. I am not sure you can get 0% for 72 months, but with $3000. down for 60 months at $250. a month it would be possible.
    We are looking to replace our 2004 Neon SXT that a Texas driver totaled when she hit our daughter. We are seriously considering a Caliber. We have a dealer in Missouri who will give us Friends and Family price from DCX. A $16,175 sticker goes for $15,553. plus a $500. rebate. Best we have found so far. We want an SXT which lists for $17,480, and ends up at $16,990. plus 4500. rebate. Maybe there is a better deal, we are still looking.

Farout
  • Does anyone who has ordered a caliber, have an idea of how long it takes for the order to go from D to D1? While it has only been two weeks since I placed my order, the dealer said he would call me when the status reached D1. I'm eagerly anticipating having a number I can check the status with.
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    My black sxt took approx 4 weeks D to D1,having said that
    I ordered it April 5/06 and it was supposedly finished
    and on the train June 29/06 and it is still not in my dealership.
    Be prepared for a long wait!!!!!
  • callawayscallaways Posts: 8
    Hello everyone,
    I ordered my Caliber 6 weeks ago and I asked the dealer if it had a order conf code or a VIN yet. They replied today and said it has a VON #18111051. Does anybody know what this is?

Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,911

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• adder80adder80 Posts: 1
    Could be the last 8 numbers of your VIN.. That's usually all they need.

BTW I was cruising around to dealerships today (haven't got mine yet), to see if they had any black SXTs in and I started talking to the guy about Manual Transmissions (which I wanted).. He said you could get them in the 1.8 or the 2.4..... 2.4? I mentioned the R/T was only available with the CVT w/ the auto-stick feature.. Well APPARENTLY that's no longer true as he ushered me inside to show me his new order sheet for a FWD R/T with the 2.4L and a MANUAL transmission! According to him they can order them now and list at $21,695 (canadian dollars) plus $1100 shipping and $100 excise tax. So $22895 instead of the $23995 for the AWD R/T.. You lose 2 spinning wheels but gain a real stick! And probably an extra 2 months worth of waiting.

*sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but it's news to me.. It's not mentioned on the dodge.ca site yet.
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    The VON# is vehicle order number issued to dealer
    upon receipt of order at DCX.
    You can check the status or build process of your
    custom ordered car by calling 1-800-992-1997 and
    folowing the instructions.
    Be prepared to wait for car,no matter what salesperson
    tells you it is probably at least 10-12 week wait.
    I ordered April 5/06 still waiting.
  • fury1995fury1995 Posts: 4
    Sorry to jump in on this discussion so late but I just wanted to shed a little light on this particular point.

"D" stuatus is basically the same as "D1" status, both status means the vehicle has been ordered and scheduled but there may not be allocation yet to build it. An ordered unit could also have been issued a VIN number prior to being built. After the unit moves from "D" status, it could fly through "E" (framing), "F" (paint), "G" (trim), "I" (inpection) status in 48 hours or less. Then it moves to "J" status (released from plant) where transport takes over and the dealer starts paying for it - which is where the waiting begins.....

This is taken directly from the website:

Q. Why are units sitting in D – D1 for a month?
    A. It is not uncommon for products to sit in D status for 30 days. We are on a monthly allocation, so when a vehicle line is covered on allocation, the unit will build in the proper week. Units can sit in D anywhere from 15-45 days depending on when it was ordered. Units will then move to D1 and typically sit anywhere from 5-12 days before finally move through the assembly line.

Q. How long does it take for a vehicle to get built and shipped to the store?
    A. To assist in reducing the customer complaints we are encountering in the time it takes to get a vehicle built and shipped to the dealer, please inform your sales staff on the following:
    Dealers taking sold orders: Approximate time for the vehicle to be built and shipped to the dealer: 10 Weeks. New Products: 12 Weeks
    example: Ordered: 6/11 (within allocation period),
    Estimated build month: August
    Arrival at dealership: Mid September.
    *If a vehicle order is taken after the allocation period, the unit will not schedule until the next allocation period, adding approximately 2 more weeks.Vehicles coming out of Mexico: Average in transit time coming from Mexico: 25 Days from when the vehicle goes KZ.

As far as waiting for ordered cars go, neither the manufacture (Dodge) or the dealer has any control over how long a vehicle takes to ship. The transportation/carrier company is completely in charge of shipping cars and trucks and dealers (and consumers) are at their mercy.

Once the vehicle has been invoiced to the dealer (released by the plant- also known as "J" status), the dealer is paying interest on their floorplan (finance charges) for that vehicle. Dealers want those cars off of their floorplan ASAP. If a dealer had any control over shipping, you can bet the cars would be shipped at lightning speed but unfortunately that isn't how the process works.

It is always in the dealers best interest to move cars quickly so you can probrably guess the dealer is waiting with as much anticipation as any consumer who has been waiting on ordered car.

You probably have also guessed I am affiliated with the auto industry so I have a little more insight on how this works. If you would like any advice in this area, I would be happy to help. I may also be able to explain why a dealer would this or that as well.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Well hey! Welcome to the discussions. Thanks for jumping in.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks for the welcome!
  • neely2005neely2005 Posts: 70
    That's good. I knew that they had planned to offer the R/T in a Front Wheel Drive model but I didn't know that it would be available with a Standard Transmission too.
  • thank you for the useful and interesting information. It does explain quite a bit. The dealer I am working with has assured me that the wait will be between 6 to 8 weeks. From reading all the posts, I can tell this has got to be a line. However, this particular dealer has been with the company about ten years and has all sorts of awards for good service and numbers of vehicles sold. He actually showed me the order from another client (for a caliber) and when the car arrived on the lot. It was right at about 8 weeks. Is it possible that some dealers are able to get their cars shipped out faster than others?
  • ltdaveltdave Posts: 3
    son of a pup...

if i had known THAT, i would have waited...

oh well...

david
    The VON# is the "Vehicle Order Number". The VON# is given the very moment the vehicle is ordered. It has nothing to do with the VIN#. Any vehicle ordered by the dealer is given a VON# whether it will or won't be built. The vehicle is given a VIN# when it enters "Firm Schedule" or "D" status.

One of the major issues has been the fact that most all of the earlier Calibers that were ordered were classified as "06" model year even though the Caliber is an '07 model and included in 2006 allocations. Build out for ALL 2006 was on May 15th.

If the dealer had a factory order or "sold unit" WITH a customer name on the order, the factory "flipped" the unit to a "sold '07" unit. ALL OTHERS were cancelled by the manufacture. Dealers then had to re-order all of the Calibers again when the June allocation opened. On another note, fleet vehicles (ie. rentals) had continued to come in because they were also considered "sold units".
    Yes the 5-speed R/T (25X) was showing up in the ordering system (TOPS) and you could theoretically order it but it had a 0% chance being built. All 25X orders sat in BG status and were then cancelled. Only after Junes schedule out was finished were those packages available.
  • Can any of you good folks chime in and let me know if you think this is a good deal?

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT, Black Clear Coat, Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats, 24D SXT Package, 2.0L 4-Cylinder, Continuously Variable Transaxle II, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, AM/FM CD 6-Disc MP3, Speed Control, Fog Lamps, Power Express Open/Close Sunroof, 9 Speaker Premium Sound Group, 17" x 6.5" Aluminum Wheels.
    = $19,580.00 (including the destination charge)

Many thanks!
  • Prior to ordering my caliber, one of the dealerships I spoke to actually showed me how much of a profit they were making off each caliber. --It wasn't much. If I can remember they were making somewhere a little less than $500 a vehicle. You should take your list of options and build one on the dodge website. The dealers I have been working with stay pretty close to this price, usually a few dollars less. You can also do a search on the "find dealer option" and find models with comparable options to see what the average price is for a similar vehicle.
  • callawayscallaways Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the info. I did call and my Caliber has the VIN and is in the D status. My Order date was June 12. So now I just wait. I ordered the Inferno Red SXT with the 24E sport pkg, heated seats, fog lamps, 17" alum wheels, sunroof, cruise and am paying 17,722.00. I am going to a Caliber from an '04 Audi A4 Turbo so the power and handling will be different but we liked the way the car drove and how easy it was to get in and out of it. It is also the first Chrysler product we have owned so it will be interesting to see how we like it in the long haul.
  • Just saw this e-mail - I'm also looking in the Northern VA area - am wondering if you got any news from anyone? I know its difficult here to list names etc.

Thanks!
  • That seems like an incredible deal for such a well equipped SXT. What part of the U.S. are you in? Was the $17,722 the out the door price, no trade-in etc. The best price I've seen around here for a similarly equipped car is like $19,200.

Thanks for the info.
  • By the way - thanks for the info. I'm still looking.
  • jmechjmech Posts: 15
    Recently, I placed an order for a Inferno Red SXT with the CVT2,cruise control and security group.
    Dealer very helpful in going over the ordering process with me. I hope to get the car 4-6 weeks.

Does anyone know how far behind the factory is with orders?
  • I am buying from Dave Smith Motors in Kellog Idaho, they sell all their cars $500 under invoice and claim to make their money from hold backs from the Mfg and volume bonus. This price is regardless of trade or not. I am trading my Audi A4 in but they told me they take 400 trades a month so they will give me what any dealer would. I had two dealers I was trying to buy a Caliber or a Matrix from here give me trade offers so I have my ammo when I pick up my Caliber. The one Caliber I found local was a base model with the upgrade to cvt and they would not budge off 19,250 so I called Dave Smith and ordered a new one the way I wanted.
  • I ordered mine on 6/12 and it will still be another 4-6 weeks I am told.
  • msilagymsilagy Posts: 3
    I ordered an SXT from my son on August 11 from a dealer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I have the VON number and will advise when we get a firm delivery date should anyone reading these posts be wondering what the current typical wait times are. The dealer said 6-8 weeks. I'm planning on 12 minimum. So now, we wait... :shades:

Pricing was very good. After a month of comparison shopping at locations within 1500 miles of Dallas, I was able to order locally for the invoice price as calculated on Edmunds.com and KellyBlueBook.com.

If you're considering ordering, you should know that even though two options are listed, you cannot order CJ1 Side Restraint System (side impact torso airbags) or BNB Electronic Stability Control. The latter is not available on a car equipped with CVT (automatic transmission). We wanted both of these safety options but can't get them - which was disappointing given the Caliber got a "poor" score for torso side impact protection from the IIHS last week (all other crash impact ratings are good). Dodge could provide no update on when they will be made available.

If you're looking for locations that have a significant amount of Caliber's in stock, the Miami/South Florida and Phoenix area dealers appeared to have the largest number on hand when I was searching. They wouldn't go as low as invoice pricing, but were willing to deal to within $300-$400 of it.

A final bit of information - it appears if you get the upgraded audio system with the CD Changer (with our without the cassette deck), you lose the auxilarly jack to plug an iPod in. Perhaps there's another way to connect an iPod to these units (anyone know?).
  • jmechjmech Posts: 15
    My order status as of today(8/17) is "D1" with expected shipping date of 8/30/06.
    Considering that I just ordered this car less than 2 weeks ago, I think its doing well....so far.
    I suspect that orders are close or up to date now with that kind of turn around. I was told 4-6 weeks and it looks like it will be the case. :)
This discussion has been closed.