Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Fuel Pump/Fuel System

hello everyone, I have an 88 gmc 1500 2wd with a 305 v8 and an auto trans. I think the electronic fuel pump circuit is possesed by the devil. My truck has been running fine until recently. Now it runs when it wants to. The fuel pump is less than a year old (napa brand), and the relay was the first thing I changed when all this started and the fuse is okay. Sometimes I have power going to the fuel pump, and sometimes not. Does anyone here know if there is some sort of collision safety cut-off switch, like on a ford? Is the computer somehow involved? If you can get it to start, it runs perfectly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jnealjneal Posts: 247
    I would tend to suspect a faulty connection in the fuel pump circuit.
  • fixruprfixrupr Posts: 2
    The sierra will die at stoplights, and it will die going around a corner sometimes, and may go a week without doing it. What is the problem?? Guess ??
  • mtlehnertmtlehnert Posts: 1
    Truck turns over but then dies. Has been running fine until now. Checked the fuel pump / replaced the fuel filter / distributor cap and rotor still won't start.
    Any ideas?
  • truitt83truitt83 Posts: 3
    I was planning on changing my fuel filter in my 01 silverado and I was wondering if there is anything special you have to do to change it. I have tried to loosen the bolts on either side of my filter but nothing. Is there a release or something that I am missisng. If anyone can help let me know.
  • my truck has run great up until now,ive changed all the important ignition parts,and the fuel injectors,it dogs when you barely crack the throttle and then catches and kind of takes off.i have no check engine lights on ,checked the smog lines.where to turn next?it feels like it running on 7 cylinders,but it feels like it could be starving for fuel,but it doesnt completely die,its driving me crazy!.can someone help!! :cry:
  • dptaylordptaylor Posts: 1
    Hi, this is my first time on a site like this, I'm a woman in Jamaica with a fabulous truck that myself and anybody else that rides in it or just sees it loves immediately.
    I do have a Large Problem with going through Fuel Pumps, as this is my 4th one for the year. One mechanic suggested using
    an external correct psi fuel pump like in the days of the
    Carberators. ??? What do you think.
    This is what has happened 4 times now.
    Please remember Jamaica does NOT have wonderful fuel. So
    maybe an additive could help, any suggestions would be
    appreciated.
    TRUCK WILL BEGIN TO HESITATE WHEN TAKING OFF, THEN THE
    CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT COMES ON, THEN ON THE SIDE OF THE
    MOUNTAIN OR ON A VERY SKINNY ROAD I FEEL MY TRUCK LOOSE POWER AND THE ENGINE STOPS AND ALL THE DASH LIGHTS COME ON,
    (THIS ALL HAPPENS IN A MATTER OF 10 MILES OF DRIVING)
    THEN I BEGIN TO PRAY AND TRY TO FIND A PLACE TO PULL OVER SO THE WILD DRIVERS DO NOT RUN INTO ME. MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED AND I ROLL TO A SAFE PLACE. THEN THE EMBARASSMENT OF MY LOVELY TRUCK BEING TOWED TO THE LOCAL
    RACING SHOP. (I FIGURE THOSE GUYS ARE THE MOST UP TO DATE
    ON HOW TO FIX THINGS.)
    WHEN THEY GET THE FUEL PUMP OUT AND TAKE IT APART THE BRUSHES ARE ALWAYS DOWN TO NOTHING.
    WHEN FIXING WE
    1) REMOVE TANK AND CLEAN
    2) REPLACE THE PUMP
    3) REPLACE FUEL REGULATOR, UP ON THE ENGINE
    4) REPLACE ALL THE FILTERS.
    THIS MECHANIC FEELS I BURN THE PUMPS BECAUSE I RUN MY
    TRUCK ABOUT 18-20 HOURS A DAY WITH THE A/C ON FULL BLAST.
    I AM SOMETIMES AT A STAND STILL FOR OVER 30 MINS.
    ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?
    MANY THANKS
    DPTAYLOR :sick:
  • i had a 92 that started with the same conditions... not long after it would idle fine but choke and die with any kind of acceleration. I fin ally took it in to the shop. after three days and lots of new parts(at their expense) it was a worn distributor bearing. i replaced the distributer assembly with a rebuilt, the truck never ran so good! 400000 km and still going strong!
  • ibnot4uibnot4u Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 chev silverado z71 with the 4.8 in it. about 6 mo ago, it starting becoming hard to start, like its out of fuel. After you crank it for about5-7 sec, it start and sputters then picks up. It then smells like it was flooded. (gave it no gas when turning the key) Starts perfect 1st thing in the morning but after the initial start, it acts up. My fuel mileage has gone down to 12 mpg. TERRIBLE! It even sounds like it misses every now & then while driving down the hiway. Fuel filter has been changed but no diff. I was told it could be the fuel pump having not enough pressure, the throttle sensor, or the fuel pressure regulator. HELP!! PLEASE!! :sick:
  • albird1albird1 Posts: 2
    My truck runs fine but every once in awhile I hear a buzzing sound like an electric motor noise from the back of the truck. I just had the dealer replace the fuel pump at 60K miles but it is still there. I only use the truck now for long road trips usurally towing so I really need it to be reliable. The fuel filter has been changed twice in the past 6 months as well. It does it when driving not idling between 25 and 45 mph as far as I can tell. I tape recorded it so I am even willing to send someone a cassette tape of the noise. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • My '99 Sierra won't start with the first attempt. It starts just fine when you try again for the second time and runs just fine afterwards. Any guesses? Fuel filter? Fuel pump relay? Thanks!!
  • When my truck began to not start on first crank my problem was a bad distributor. If you take it to a mechanic have them check that before they try to sell you a new timing chain. Talking from experience...

Robert
  • what would cause my fuel gauge needle to flutter like its vibrating. I had my truck worked on back in february and ever since it has been doing that. I am not happy with the mechanics who worked on my truck and do not want to take it back to their shop in Austin Tx
  • Did you ever get this fixed? My 5.3 started acting like this too. Exactly the same thing. Starts great int he mornings, etc, but after sitting around it has a prolonged start.
  • I am starting with the fuel pressure regulator which will be replaced this weekend. If that doesn't work, i will go onto replace the throttle position sensor, and last but not least, the fuel pump.
  • in my instance it was the distributor. the mechanics shop sole me a timing chain then told me it was the distributor
    idiots. dont' go to klingemanns in austin tx
  • Sounds familier. My "96" with 5L man. 4X4 ext.cab The throttle plate would stick at idle position-carbon in intake-around 90,000miles. Then service engine soon light around 100,000miles. Would come and go. then it wouldn't stay cleared 110,000miles.Started hard when hot, shook the clutch plate at idle to rattle, smelled like sulfur. Borrowed a friend's code reader, DTC-Rich right bank DTC-Rich left bank DTC-engine miss. dealer said fuel press.reg. was leaking into the intake plenum area. The injector/regulator assembly would need to be replaced with an updated version including a different mounting bracket plus the usual seals and o-rings. I said make it so. Well I bit the big one for $1,000.00. It was worth it. Ayers Chevy- Dover,NJ. Not the Jerk dealer who sold me the truck new. warnock.
  • I have a 2000 Silverado with the 4.8 and I have the EXACT same problem. Start's fine first time in the morning, then cranks for a few seconds before it barely turns over and then smells like gasoline. Mine also started about 6 months ago and since then have been getting terrible gas mileage. I have replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure regulator. Things I haven't done but have been suggested to me are; check the plugs, distributor, connections, fuel pump, diagnostics test at Chevy dealer... I am not sure where to start because many of them are expensive fixes. If anyone has had this problem and knows how to fix it let me know. :mad:
  • My truck generally will not start on the first try. There used to be a buzzing sound that would last for about 3 seconds when I would turn the ignition on, but it no longer does that sound and I am sure the problems are linked. I think it is some type of fuel pump primer, or some type of solenoid valve, but I am convinced whatever that noise was, is the reason my truck is having problems. Does anyone know the source o my problems? Any help will be very much appreciated.
  • Did you ever figure this out? It sounds like the same problem I am having; it runs fine once it gets started, but it usually won't start on the first try unless it has been run within the last hour or so. I think it is some type of cold start injector that is not functioning, but I don't know where to look.
    The buzzing sound you used to hear was your fuel pump running. If you no longer hear it when turning the ignition key to "ON" position your pump is on the way out.
  • I considered that, but it runs fine after it is started. the thing is that, previously, the pump would prime the system for a few seconds every time I turned the ignition, but now it never does. I think there has to be something to "tell" it to prime the system, that is no longer functioning. Does that sound likely? Do you know if that is possible?
    The only thing else I can suggest is to have your fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator checked.
  • I have the same problem lately. I noticed it about a week ago the needle flutters like it is vibrating. Sure would like to know what is going on.

Jay
  • I also have a 2000 Z71. My truck is doing the same thing. I had the fuel pump checked out. Local mechanic said that it was fine. Someone told me that it is the fuel pressure regulator. You can get it for about $45 at Autozone, but I havn't tried it yet. Have you found a solution to the problem yet? Please let me know what happens for you. This is a pain when it comes to fuel economy.
  • I haven't fixed my truck yet, but plan on getting around to it this weekend. A friend of mine told me last week that he had the same problem on his truck and it was the fuel pump. Apparently there are 2 fuel pumps on our trucks and the one that is under the hood and pressurizes the system is not working. The main one in the back is still working, so the truck will run fine after the motor has started and fuel has started to flow. When I finally get around to fixing the problem, I will post what was wrong for sure.
  • Thanks, Keep me posted on what you find out.
  • OK,fixed my problem! It was my fuel pressure regulator. I also found out an easy way to check and see if it is bad. Pull the little hose off the top. If fuel comes out of the regulator, it's bad. Fuel should NOT come out this little spout. That is what is causing the "flooding". Good Luck!
  • Great,
    I will go by one today and see if it fixes mine.
    Thanks for getting back to me.
  • We have a 2005 Silverado, the check engine light keeps coming on. We took it to the dealer and after 2hrs. they said we needed the gas cap replaced. With in a month the light came on again, and they told us the same thing. Within a month of replacing that it happened a third time. They(the dealership) tells us we arent tightening the cap enough, that isnt true. Does anybody have any suggestions?