Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Fuel Pump/Fuel System

Comments

• no I haven't tried anything really yet...
  • I also have a 2001 GMC Sierra and have the same problem. Did you ever find out what the problem was and what was the fix? Please email me at n4urw@earthlink.net.

Joel
  • jrob4jrob4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 2500 i think has a bad fuel pump but would like to make sure. Does anyone know how i can check pump?
  • 1. disconnect the fuel line turn the key on watch the fuel pump out.
    2. turn the key on listen for a wining noise from the fuel pump area.

is your fuel gauge moving erratically?
    when is the last time you changed your fuel filter?
    any pulsing/surging while driving?

the fuel pressure regulator will make hard starting
  • My 2000 Silverado 2500 w/6.0 sometimes has no power.Does not matter hot or cold,always starts and idles fine.Go to accelerate and will not pick up RPM.If you hold pedal steady eventually power comes back.Then will not act up until shut off again.Like I said doesn't happen all the time.Replaced fuel filter,checked fuel pressure@55psi,new air filter,spark plugs the whole gammet.Cleaned MAF sensor.Anyone else with the problem and what did it take to fix.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Sounds like a problem with your throttle position sensor
  • Thanks for the quick response.Would that not trigger a check engine light?I plugged my Scan Guage in and no codes found.The TPS seems to be reading correctly which I can monitor with the Scan Guage.The degrees move with opening and closing of throttle.
  • fuel pressure regulator?
    easy to check, pull the vac hose off the regulator see if it has fuel in it
  • I have a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 and its attemting to start, but sputters & dies out. I got a new fuel pump less than a year ago. It is a non manufacture pump & was pricey. First I replaced the fuel filter, that worked.Then we put a new starter in (that wasnt the problem).After that I replaced the crank shaft censor; that worked for a few days. Then It did the same thing. I had it towed to a shop; they just replaced a fuse & it started and I drove it. The next day it wouldnt start again. The truck attepts to but sputters out & dies. I just am not sure what else it could be. Any ideas?
    Thank you,
    Tianna ?
  • hello,
    where is the regulator located?
    thanks again
  • up by the throttel body driver side, there is a small 3/16 dia. rubber vacuum hose connected to it. If you pull the hose and it has fuel in it the vacuum hose the regulator is bad.

I think the cost is about $30 and take only a few minutes to change

i can send a pic, email me tdebat@yahoo.com
  • go to this link, i posted the photo on the web since i've has numerous requests for the photo

">link titlehttp://www.leaseorsale.biz/truck/fuel regulator replacement.htm
  • Hey there guys.. read posts and seems my issue might be alittle different. I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 and when I start the truck it justs cycles and doesnt start. Release the key and try to start again, the truck fires up. Thinkin possible dirty filter not allowing enough fuel in line??? Having no idle or accelaration issues...

Also, after I start, my "LOW FUEL" light comes on and the gauge reads on empty. Then once I start driving the gauge jumps to the right level and the light goes out. When I come to a stop, within seconds the light goes back on and the gauge drops to "E". And so on and so on....

Anything solutions would be great! Can this be a filter issue as well or might it be an electrical issue!

Thanks!!!!
  • my guess, fuel filter
  • I have a problem with my 2001 silverado. I went to start it one morning and it started for a second or two then died. turned the key off turned it back on herd the pump run for 3 seconds then tried to start it. It started for 1 or 2 seconds and dies. I can repeat this over and over with the same outcome.
    If the pumps runs could there be another problem.
  • COULD BE FUEL FILTER, FUEL PUMP OR FUEL REGULATOR

LAST TIME THE FUEL FILTER WAS CHANGED ? 50K OR MORE CHANGE IT NOW BEFORE YOUR FUEL PUMP DIES.

IF THATS NOT IT CHECK THE FUEL REGULATOR, UNDER THE HOOD SEE PIC.

http://www.leaseorsale.biz/truck/fuel%20regulator%20replacement.htm
  • thanks
    I checked fuel regulator hose and there is no fuel in it.
    one other thing I forgot to mention is the security light is on all the time now
  • got this problem starting my truck three of four times then it may start, stubbles coughs then dies it will start then its fine below 1/4 tank it wont its an o4 2500 bought a filter for it cant find it on the truck to replace it.any ideas
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Fuel filter is located inside the frame rail, just below the driver's side door.
  • Diagnose the problem instead of throwing parts at it. Usually when running problems occur with Vortec engines its either the fuel pump pressure or tune up related. Fuel pressure has to be a minimum of 55psi. Check the rail pressure with a guage.