Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Milan vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• bv050506bv050506 Posts: 97
    The only engine Toyota has that has a manual transmission is the 4 cyl. None of the V6's are manual, at least not in a Camry. Do you mean the "triptronic or manu shift " feature that allows you to shift on the fly? Trust me I have had 34 cars in my 49 years and that doesn't make it a manual. The closest I have come is the 300C Hemi I had. If I put it in the "shift" mode, I can leave it there as it auomatically shifts to the next gear before the redline anyway. This is a feature that people think is cool, but I rarely us it. Its good in the winter if I need additional braking. Sounds like a big technical job you have?!?! I have a "x" brotherinlaw that went to Lawrence Tech in Michigan and he is a Robotics engineer. Really smart! You can take that as a compliment.

Ok, on to the next round. Does yours have a sunroof, heated seats, traction and stability control, a 444 Watt JBL 6 in-dash CD player, with MP3 and bluetooth technology, reclining back seats, premium leather, Michelin Tires, sun shade, and 4 wheel vented ABS? Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. My sticker was 29,397 but I got it for 27,750 which was $500 over dealer invoice. I look forward to your list of goodies, ha :)
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    "Ok, on to the next round. Does yours have a sunroof, heated seats, traction and stability control, a 444 Watt JBL 6 in-dash CD player, with MP3 and bluetooth technology, reclining back seats, premium leather, Michelin Tires, sun shade, and 4 wheel vented ABS? Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. My sticker was 29,397 but I got it for 27,750 which was $500 over dealer invoice. I look forward to your list of goodies, ha "

I own a Ford Fusion SEL V6 in Frosted Silver with every option available. I have a heated black leather seats. The seats are stitched in white giving them a very rich look. I have a sunroof, a 6CD in dash CD player, Michelin tires, 4wheel vented disc brakes with ABS... I have traction control. Granted I don't have stability control or MP3/bluetooth. You ready for this.. don't cry now.. I paid $23,000.... :cry:

So, I guess you can justify the extra $4,750 you paid how???
  • I was the Ford/Mercury sales guy (by the way) And options for price was a bad idea to bring up if you plan to win this arguement. :P

For purposes of comparison, I'll go with the "Premier" package for the Milan. It has everything you quoted, EXCEPT for the reclining rear seats and the bluetooth. However, its MSRP is 24,620 and if we sold it for the roughly 2k off that you got it would be put down to 22,500-ish. So I think you can get some neat toys for 5K+ to make up for the missing bluetooth and reclining seats.

Also, the Shaker 6-Disk in dash CD is 600 Watts. You didn't list a trip computer, I assume yours has that too. Tells you current MPG, How much to empty, etc. And your climate control is automatic right? You set the digital temperature and it automatically reads the interior and exterior temperature and adjusts accordingly? Oh, and you have Satellite radio on your stereo too right? Pre-installed with a year of free service?

Just want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples here. :shades:

Edit: By the way, what kind of warranty does that Camry carry again? Ford just upped the Powertrain warranty to 5 year/60k on it's 06'+ models.

Thanks!
  • I don't have stability control or MP3/bluetooth.

You should have MP3. Basically all the CD decks put into fords for the 06-07 model year have MP3 readers. Also, some models of 07' have audio input jacks in the center console for plugging in MP3 players. And if you get the Ipod package it have a built-in dock for your Ipod (Not really needed but fun anyway.) :D
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Plus with Milan/Fusion you get a larger trunk and it has the strut/linkage hinge mechanism that does not infringe on useable trunk space, unlike Camry which has the old tech gooseneck hinges.

Gotta have enough trunk space!

Additionally, with Milan/Fusion, you don't get the chore of reading through over 1300 posts in the "2007 Camry Woes" discussion! :)
    Must be $23K is all they can get for them,ha Just kidding. you don't like my front end, and I think black leather stitched with white looks cheap, but thats just my feeling, I'm glad you like cause it's your fanny sittin' on it. Granted $4,750 would buy you a nice vacation. But then there will be those lingering fix-it bills when you pass 50,000 miles. They do add up fast. Does yours have dual exhaust? I'm sure if it's the six it would. Why didn't they make them more noticable?
    Well they've sold thousands of Camrys....what are they up to in Fushion/Milans 200,300? Your woes will mount..its a FORD! Ya the old gooseneck system blows for sure...always hitting my golf clubs.
    "But then there will be those lingering fix-it bills when you pass 50,000 miles. They do add up fast"

I see your feeling a bit squeemish.. I would to If I just realized I paid almost $5,000 dollars more for what?? Oh, about those repair bills you claim are going to happen. I heard these same stories from folks just like you about my 95 Ranger, and my 01 Ford Escape. Ranger went to 102,000 miles, no issues, Escape went to 77,000 with no issues.. Now, about those repair bills?

Yes, I do have dual tip chrome exhaust tips..

take a look at my beauty..http://www.carspace.com/scape2 :shades:
    i'll take a look and get back to you. Did some more research last night. Why is the Milan V6 210 hp and the fusion 221hp? Seems a little strange. You must be "touched" to not have any problems with a Ranger or Escape. I had a buddy that had a Ranger for about 12 years, he never had problems either. The escape has had some issues, but you sound like you got lucky. $23K for a car like you got is a heckuva buy for sure. It's a great looking car, but I just can't buy a domestic car anymore. At least mine was made in the USA by union workers.
    It's a really nice car for sure. Lots of auto for $23K. You should darken the windows with a tint! Makes it richer looking. Wheels look fabulous, sorry I don't have 17's! Enjoy the ride, i'll blow you away in the straits, but I'll be looking for you in the "twisties' !
    My 2000 FORD Taurus (yes it is Duratech equipped) is just approaching 60,000 miles, and no problems yet and my 1990 Taurus went ten years, and except for an AC repair, a radiator and a starter, only routine maintenance was required on it. Sold it at 98K and ten years, mostly because I wanted something new, not because it was unreliable.

Fords don't fold at 50K miles.
    Keyword here .. "ASSEMBLED" in the USA. Hate to burst your bubble even further. But most of the tooling (machines)and support in your Toyota plants are from Japan. Been there I know.
    I know my Fusion is "ASSEMBLED" in Mexico. Heck, even the transmission is from Japan ;) . But hey the majority of the parts do come from USA and the profits come back to the USA. I did some research on the Hermi plant in Mexico and its pretty impressive. Ford has invested some big $$ down there. Plant is very effecient, clean and work force is top notch.
    I don't believe any Toyota plants or Honda plants are union. I'm going to do some asking around about this one. Japanese don't like unions too much. It goes against their philosphy of how management and worker should work as one to work towards a given goal.
    Oh, I also got 0% financing for 60months on my Fusion, and the dealership gave me $10,000 for my Escape..Your a banker right? Do the math, figure out what I saved in interest, along with what my payment is.. sorry to rub salt in the wounds.. :sick:
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I would prefer a Mercury Milan over a Toyota Camry based on my personal experience with a NEW Toyota. My 2006 Toyota Sienna LE had a 2nd row bucket seat installed wrong at the factory and it could not be removed or moved to the alternate position because of this defect. :sick:
  • andy82471andy82471 Posts: 120
    I hardly see any new Mercurys on the road. The only Mercury I see is the Grandpa Marquis. I have yet to see a Mercury Milan although I have seen quite a few FORD FUSIONS.
    I hope badger fan makes you from Wisconsin. I got my master there about 3 years ago, a great school and Madison is a great town. You got lucky with your Fords! I've had 3 Mustangs and 2 Ford Windstars, and had numerous problems with them all. Happy for you though.
    They offer 0% for a reason, they wouldn't sell otherwise!!! You'll never see Toyota credit doing it, because their cars sell on their own, they don't need interest subvention programs to make people over look the fact there are much better choices than what their offering. Good for you that you got 0%, it will save you big bucks after the warranty expires and you start having repair issues. Or better yet you can start now and set aside for an extended warranty, better go for their best plan. I am not pro-union, have been in one, and frankly nothing has caused more inflation over the last 40 years than trying to keep all the "workers" happy with a new contract. I know their needed, but it has added huge money to the costs of goods and services. I'm sure this spark some real vehemence from people. On to round 3.
    Go ahead and buy a Mercury Villager and let me know how it stacks up against the Sienna! The Sienna is top ranked by everybody, you have a minor seat problem and think its inferior to a Mercury. You have to be kidding!!! The Milan is a great car for the money, but no Toyota Camry. I wish you good fortune and safe driving.
    Oh please.. please stop praying to the Toyota god..
    :sick:
  • I have to make a quick decision on buying a new Milan this week. Right now they are offering such a great deal with 0% for 72 months and I'm getting it at a great deal because of knowing the owner of Lincoln Mercury Mazda...I've driven a Honda Accord for 6 years and have had some problems, but for the most part its been a great car. Advice? Needing more input on the Milan's! Thanks!
  • pwaspwas Posts: 34
    Im trying to make a decision to trade in a 2006 Honda Accord EXL 4 cyl. And get a Millan or Zephyr because of the 0% interest rates. I could get my Payments down and Save. Any Opinions please help me out. Must move on it this week.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Keep the Honda. It's not giving you any trouble is it?
    Yes, a Badger fan and alum, currently in suburban Milwaukee.
    Have season football tickets and I am ready for some football!

My Tauri have been excellent cars and good values. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a Milan or Fusion, though it will be a few years off, as the current Taurus at 60K miles is just getting broken in.
  • pwaspwas Posts: 34
    No the Honda is fine I was just looking into the 0% from Mercury vs 11% from honda on the accord. Plus the Honda is a 4cyl and I was going to get the V6 Milan fully loaded. I could save about $200 in payments a month on the Milan.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    How did you get stuck with 11%? Could you refinance at a lower rate?

You'll save in monthly payments with the Milan, but that's mostly because the loan is for 6 years. It's not a good idea to drag out a car loan that long; for one thing, if you don't put down a large down payment, you'll likely owe more on the car than it's worth for most of those 6 years.

The 4-cylinder Accord is probably very close in performance to the V6 Fusion/Milan. Plus you already have the top-of-the-line trim. And the Accord has proven to be very reliable.
    If you like the Milan, prefer the styling and driving experience go for it! If your Accord EXL is an automatic, its performance does not mathc the V6 in the Milan by the way. The Milan is quicker. However, you will loose MPG. If you made an extra $50 a month payment on the Milan it could easily be knocked down to about a 5 year loan by the way.
    I'm a banker. Why would you pay down a loan quicker at 0% for any reason? It's free money, I'd take it for 20 years, you can always find money someplace else if you need it. But 6 years interest free is too good. I ask you, why do they need to do it? They aren't selling and the name and quality are inferior to Honda, Toyota, etc. Otherwise people will buy them if the rate is 7% if they perceive them as quality and worth the price being asked!!! I'd unload the Honda and get the Milan (still a very nice vehicle) and take the 0%. Plus he's saving on cash flow!
    True, once you have committed to a 0% financing deal, it makes no sense to pay it off early. Stretch it out as long as possible and use other peoples money at no interest.

There are more issues to be unraveled for this deal however. The buyer is giving up a $1000 rebate to get the 0% financing. Also, how much upside down is this buyer on the car he now owns? Unless he put a lot down, he has lost a lot of depreciation--even the imports DO depreciate. Usually does not make any sense from a depreciation standpoint to unload a 1 or 2 year old car.

The best bet might be to refinance the present car at a lower rate. I cannot believe anyone would stick themselves with an 11% APR anyways. This person may have very bad credit rating to begin with, thus the high rate, and it is not clear they would qualify for the Ford/Mercury promotion, even though it supposedly is open to those with less than stellar credit ratings.
  • The promotion is open to ANYONE that qualifies on any tier for financing with Ford Motor Credit. Unfortunatly, as of September 5th, the promotion is over. :cry:
  • Do not know about Mercury Millan nor Camry, but I can tell you that the only car that actually lasts on rough roads is Toyota, followed by Nissan and somewhere far far away is Ford and any other american car. I worked in a mine in South America and we had only Toyota Landcruisers Pickups (I think you do not get those in US, but they are the workhorses in South America), they were treated rough as hell(combination of bad roads and bad drivers) and lasted for 2-3 years no problems, then we had a new manager who decided that we need fords, the F series double cabin pickups (I cannot remember which), they virtually fell apart after 6 month of same treatment. Toyota rules in my book.
  • lol, in milwaukee area i have seen 3 07 camrys with broken trannys, a tow truck driver i talked to earlier today said he has picked up 10 camrys with this issue this summer... wow.
This discussion has been closed.