Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Milan vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    stlpike07 there are too problems with your post. First I do not own Milan, Fusion, Mazda6 or MKZ and not going to, at least in near future. I certainly not going to buy car like Camry ever - here may be you are right. Secondly owners do not complain about Milan but complain a lot about Camry. Thats what was my point - what owners think about their cars. And note that people who rate cars at Edmunds understand something about cars.

I also believe in CR reliability ratings since it is only accepted reliability rating in USA. And they also rated Milan higher than Camry (and Accord).
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    has pounded it into consumers heads that anything Camry or Accord is just plain better, no questions asked.. However with forums like these and the hundreds of others across the internet.. the consumer will rule!
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Posts: 218
    Maybe so....However, My 2007 Camry is fine. A friend who has a Milan hates it and always wants to ride with me rather than driving the both of us.

What does that say?
    Camrys are great cars. I don't think thats media hype. It is very unfortunate that some people are having so many problems with their vehicles. I feel for them.....However, just because there aren't hundreds of posts about people hating their Milans doesn't mean everyone is happy with that car.

I would imagine that practially every car, if not every car has multiple TSB's out for it and that a small percentage of owners experience problems. A friend who drives a Ferarri was having problems with his car. I don't have the money to buy one, but if I did, would that affect my decision to buy one? Probably not.
    I do not like Camry not because of unreliability but because how it drives. Well I do not like if car has issues from day one either.

You say that only unhappy Camry owners and only happy Milan owners rate their cars on Edmunds. Don’t you find this statement to say the least inconsistent? If there are so many unhappy Milan owners - where they are hiding? Didn’t you think may be your friend just chose a wrong type of car? May he Camry/Buick type of guy but went instead for sporty car. It is not like Milan has a problem - it is rather your friend’s problem of choice.
    Your are misconstruing what I said about the ratings.

As far as the ride, I understand that. Some people like a soft ride, and some people like to feel every bump in the road. I like smooth rides, versus bumping around. Thats why I got my Camry.

Unhappy Milan owners don't necessarily go online, to sites like edmunds, to write up car complaints.

"May he Camry/Buick type of guy but went instead for sporty car. It is not like Milan has a problem - it is rather your friend’s problem of choice." Funny you say that, so what your saying is that if someone disagrees with you they are wrong? That doesn't make sense.....I'm not going to argue though.

What does make sense, and I hope we can agree, is that every car manufacturer has some unhappy car owners. Every car that is manufactured on an assembly line is not perfect. Can we agree to that?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    A friend who has a Milan hates it and always wants to ride with me rather than driving the both of us.

What does that say?

Maybe he is just feeding you that line because he is a cheapskate and would rather burn your gas ;) .

Why exactly does he "hate" his car?
    I don't think he is a cheapskate...he has the basic stereo (I have the JBL stereo) so he may be a little jealous. HE drives his car a lot. I have fun riding with him, but I would rather drive my car anyway.

He said the ride has gotten a lot bumpier and that he is experiencing a lof of rattles. He has had some complaints about acceleration delay when he steps on the gas. I don't know what to say about that one.

I think some people need to take the time to get used to how a car drives and adapt their style of driving. I test drove 7 cars before I bought my camry. Some cars didn't accelerate for a few seconds after I stomped on the gas. The Camry did....who knows? People are having problems with every kind of car it seems.
    "Unhappy Milan owners don't necessarily go online, to sites like edmunds, to write up car complaints."

How do you know that? You mean they are not as smart as happy Milan owners?

But anyway, Camry is roomier inside and engine is smoother. It is different kind of animal. I would rather compare it with Buick than Milan. Milan is more like Accord in interior room and ride. Bumpy ride is normal. It means suspension is tight. If your friend has V6 Duratec – it does not have enough torque at low rpm. I noticed that Fusion does not accelerate in city without pushing rpm up (and therefore engine noise). But at high speeds it is pretty good. Milan is very comfortable on freeway and mountain roads. Camry on the other hand is kinda barge.

My original post was about lot of unsatisfied customers new Camry generated and it may affect on future Camry sales. Nothing is permanent. Sooner or later Camry will start loosing customers. It cannot lock them forever. And note that Camry also is uncool type of car. If it is uncool and have issues from day at same time who is going to buy another one when time comes? There are a lot of excellent choices around and Milan is one of them.
    "How do you know that? You mean they are not as smart as happy Milan owners?" Only 39 people have rated the vehicle, so you could take that as there aren't many happy customers either. 39 out of how many thousands of owners" Same can be said with the Camry......interesting.

The Milan and Camry are definitely two different cars, just like the Accord and Camry are two very different cars.

I agree with you about sales. When someone comes along and really creates a "better" vehicle it will happen. And by that I mean a better sales and marketing plan, a better public relations plan, a betterbrand image, and a better integrated marketing communications campaign. It is possible that it can be done. But other manufacturers have a lot of work to do before that happens.

That would be like the brand Sony becoming inferior to the Radioshack brand RCA......not very likely, but it could happen. Anything is possible, right?
    Sony is not the hottest brand in consumer electronics anymore. If you consider DVD recorders - JVC makes better ones. Still digital cameras - Kodak and Canon make better cameras than Sony, even though Sony initially was a market leader.

Camcorders - Panasonic and Canon make better camcorders overall, but Sony camcorders are better in audio recording and low light environment.

TV sets. Until recently Sony was making best tube TV sets. But now Sony is just another brand. Sharp and Samsung are making better LCD TVs for less as an example.

HiFi audio – Sony never was a leader here let alone Hi End. Sony made good CD players, but it is irrelevant today. Unless you want super audio.

Game consoles – Sony lost its leadership to Microsoft recently.

Walkman – it is the old news. Now Apple is leading this sector. Computers – best computers for price are made by Dell. Even HP makes better laptops than Sony. Sony is absolutely irrelevant in computers.

Sony actually makes a lot of cheap and dull stuff today and is not leader in any field anymore.
    There is a Steeda Fusion. 0-60 in the low 6's. On my daughters soccer team there is a guy who modified a Milan Premier V6 much like the Steeda package. Took me for a ride and there was a very noticable difference in power. Some in the sedan room laughed at me, with the Steeda article it was sweet revenge. There is talk on the net about a 240HP 3.0, and a 180HP I4 coming in 2009. Ford is playing with turbo's!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,730
    The 240hp 3.0 is not a turbo. There is a rumored twin turbo 2.5L putting out 260 hp for the 09 model. Twin turbo 3.5L and even some V8s are supposedly being tested.
    Thank you for all of the technology information.

I was trying to make a simple comparison, thats all.
    All I wanted to say that Toyota like Sony does not dominate in any particular sector. It does not make best sedan, or best SUV and etc.
  • makigrlmakigrl Posts: 19
    Is that why i'm seeing discounts on Toyota's at dealerships not just the Minvans but like Tacomas or Tundra one or the other selling $7,000 of off msrp. Not just American trucks and Suv's with the $7- 10,000 something discounts of msrp. $5,000 something of msrp for the Avalon. I even saw one selling at least a couple of 07 Cammry's at around $3,800 in discounts. Taking the $500 factory cash back and adding an additional $3,500 in cash back.

I know Toyota is spose to be the number one car but I see them sometimes offer $3-4,000 cash back on Camry's. You almost never find an accord discounted below probably $1,-2,000. You never see an Accord where they tell you your saving $4,000 off msrp.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    "$3-4,000 cash back on Camry's." I wish! I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone else?
  • It is normal for Camry this time of the year. It is end of model year so they sell new cars as an one year old ones. I bought my Sable with $5,000 discount and my friend bought Camrys twice with this kind of discount.
    Toyota is advertising $500 cash back on the Corolla, $0 on Camry in my part of the country. I also looked at the Edmunds site to see if they have any deals - none in Ohio and PA, $500 in the California area (not $5,000). One of my local dealers will do about invoice on an '07, but they only had 2.

If you can point me to a dealer that has a $5,000 discount on a Camry, I will go, buy it, and re-sell it for a profit!
  • Go Dublin Toyota

http://www.dublintoyota.com/Default.aspx?page=default

Neeless to say that you have to negotiate price.
    I would love to. In the meantime, I will be waiting for someone to prove to me that it is possible to get one for $5,000 off so I do not waste my time. So far, the best deal I have ever seen and/or heard of is $500 below dealer invoice, which I can understand. But $5,000 ???

Recent posts in the prices paid forum are saying that dealers are not willing to go anywhere near that low.
  • We are not talking about $5000, but rather $4000 below MSRP for XLE.I think it is reasonable discount for end of model year. Otherwise why to buy 2007 Camry when you can by 2008?

Just do not be shy and persist. If they are not cooperative - just go to another dealership. There are more cars than buyer.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The key to getting a good price is to EDUCATE yourself.

Know before you go how much you are looking to finance and how much that will be per month. Use payment calculators.

Always negotiate up from your price.

Always have a good idea what the invoice cost of the specific car you want to buy is.

Always have a good idea of what the car you want is going to cost you in round numbers per month.

Don't let the dealer get you into conversations about how much you want to spend per month. This marks you as uneducated. Respond by saying "I'm only looking to test drive today."

ALWAYS ALWAYS reject dealer added accessories and "market value adjustment"

Always remember that it is more important to get the car you want then to settle for the one you don't over a few hundred dollars. Just be rationaly about it. If you pay a fair price as indicated by the TMV on Edmunds, the be happy that you get the car you wanted. Don't let your ego about saving an extra few dollars stop you. Remember that your time has a money value also.

Never walk into a dealership and say "just give me your best price" this marks you right off as someone who didn't do their research and you will end up paying more.

Always be ready to make an offer. You have to be specific, or the dealer will just try to hammer you to get you to agree to the number he just presented.

Never say "Well I need you to do a little better on the price" Dealer will just respond with "Wow, I wish I could, but we never let this model go for less than what I'm showing you...." then dealer makes you an offer and you surrendered your position.

Say things like "I would BUY this car for an extra $200 etc. discount" or "I would by this car if you gave me another $___ for trade in value.

Remember though that you should negoiate the selling price of the car you are being seperate from the car you are trading.

Until you say you are ready to buy that specific car then you will not get the best price.

Never negoiate the monthly payment the dealer can do all sorts of things to lower the monthly payment without lowering the price of the car.

People say they hate to negoiate but if that were try then dealers would have stopped doing it a long time ago.

You need to accept the fact that you want to negoiate and you need to learn the right way to do it.
  • Actually once we dealt with a Toyota dealer who would not budge Camry. After long and heated debate including insults from salesmen we sent complain to Toyota headquarters. After that dealer called us sheepishly asking come back and negotiate for better price. But we said – hell no, we already bought car.
    that a Camry like optioned to a Milan will cost you about $3,000 more. You need to ask yourself is it really worth it? If it is to you, go for it by all means. This holds true for any vehicle by the way. Buy the car YOU really like and want, not what the media tells you to buy or the masses may buy. There are many choices in this segment to choose from. Test drives are free! ;)
  • Media, media, media. I was wondering how long it'd be before I heard that old drum beating again :)
  • My 2002 Camry has many door rattles that spew thru production of the new RAV today. Still, after 5 years and 65K, today was the first time I was to a dealer for a non-oil change appt. I had a selenoid go....coverged under my warranty. I did replace my front brakes once, not the back ones yet. I never had this with my Fords. They were more fun to drive and cost much less though.
  • I have my Sable for more than 5 years and 90,000 miles and did not have a single problem - only oil and coolant change.

But front struts wearing out and becoming soft, but still car handles and holds road better than new Camry. In Camry struts are soft from day one. But if you compare it with Maxima - well there is no comparision. Maxima behaves more like muscle car.

BTW brakes are another problem with Fords. They make them spongy and no brake flush solves the problem. But for commute it is okay - I did not have any problems with brakes so far (mostly with stock tires that I replaced with better ones).
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,730
    The pedal can be spongy but it doesn't affect the brake performance. My Lincoln LS had great brakes - even better with Porterfield pads - but it was still a bit spongy. Stainless steel brake lines helps a lot.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I find Ford brakes to be very progressive. Compared to Nissan and Mazda brakes which I feel are touchy. Its more of a style in my opinion. I think Ford brakes are easier to modulate.

The Maxima with CVT is a total ROCKET! To bad the interior is so icky.

Mark.
This discussion has been closed.