Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

Comments

• wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    According to Inside Line : The optional system is an Infinity stereo with 10 speakers, a six-disc CD changer and an external amplifier. It comes in one of three option packages, all of which include the rear-seat DVD player. The least expensive package that includes the upgraded stereo is $3,500
    Ouch!

The GT loaded up WITH the Tech Pacakage & Sirius is 31K... The Santa Fe is getting pretty close to Murano territory.

Not a bad car, just wish it offered HID lights and Sirius! ;)
  • "Not a bad car, just wish it offered HID lights and Sirius! ;)"

True dat. (Is Sirius the better of the two? I'm not really that familiar with either system.) The Santa Fe is quite a bit roomier, though.... ;) But honestly, I think the CX-7 is a bit more in-line with my driving personality. The Santa Fe I see as being the more practical, family-oriented of the two (I'd get an SE), but not in an "oh... guess I have to settle for this thing" kinda way.
    :)

Mike
    In my opinion Sirius does it for me... I'm a Stern fan BUT the music channels are COMPLETELY commercial free!

Not everyone is a fan of Howard and the gang, but if you're into sports; Sirius has virtually all of the major sports except MLB, and NASCAR is going to Sirius after this season.

And XM... Well XM has Oprah. :blush:
  • ctxctx Posts: 50
    Yes. And XM does not have Stern. But it does have everything else.
  • almcg2almcg2 Posts: 14
    Yep.... say what youo want about the CX-7. I've never owned a Mazda in my life. I drove all the contenders, and the CX-7 blew them all away in style, manuverability and THE FUN FACTOR! This car is soooo cool... I love it. I've had many cars in my 56 years, and this one is my favorite so far. Some folks complain about the 4 cyl. Man.. are they off track. This sucker moves! It feels like the Jetta V6 I drove last year. Manuverabilty is awesome! I forget I'm in an SUV. The Murano isn't even close... and that's from a guy who almost bought one after 4 test drives. I'm having fun, discover great features of the car everyday, and am in awe of Mazda's craftsmanship on this beauty.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Ditto here and would you believe, I had a little run-in with an RX-8 on the freeway yesterday. He ate my dust! :shades:
    Takes a real man to admit that he got dusted while driving the best car on the road today! :shades:
    heheheheh.... I had some fun with a few other SUV's driving home (the long way..) from the dealership. I'm trying to be careful because It's not fully broken in yet. Love the turbo. The nav is fantastic. I love how it reroutes when you take wrong turns. Great system. Haven't figured how to use he voice commands or voice nav yet. Wondering if the nav can also decode movie DVD's. Anyone try this yet?
    Zoom, Zoom, Zoom.....
  • honakerhonaker Posts: 74
    Wondering if the nav can also decode movie DVD's.

I don't know if it can or can't, but the player is under the passenger seat, and you have to remove a piece (I think it's just taking out a screw or two) to get to the eject button.
    uh oh.... that's too easy. I feel a strange force which is telling me I have to try it....
    Just came back from a ride in the new baby. Man that suckeris fast once the turbo kicks in. Handeling is much better than any of the other SUV's I drove including the infinity. LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!
    I hope you didn't mis-interpret what I meant. I tromped on the accelerator and left him behind me. That lil RX-8 didn't stand a chance. He ate my dust. :)
    I guess I did!!! :surprise:

I usually go after the Civics and other buzzy mufflers, but I try to leave the hardcore stuff alone!
    Congrats! ;)
    I'm a little nastier than new guys. I go after anyone who wants a go from the starting line. I'm real good with a stick and I drive my CX-7 in manual mode only. This baby moves out! When that turbo kicks in, it doesn't care if there's a V8, V6 or monster truck next to it.... it jumps right out!
    This is my second day with the car in my possession. I am so impressed with the quality. I've also learned that yoou need to do a little tweeking to get the real prize. The sound system, for example, does not default to surround sound. I turned it on and set up the Bose center point to slightly toward the rear speakers, adjusted base and treble... WOW!!!!! the sound quality is awesome!!! I'm using manual mode transmission and am getting excellent mileage. So far, I'm getting close to 20 mpg combined, even with my crazy driving. The manual mode gives you much more control and seems to be a real gas saver. I'm also not using the AC as much as some might. The AC, of course, will kill your mileage. I'm at 160 miles and just over a quarter of a tank, as far as I can tell. Oh , also...The lumbar adjustment is the most effective I have ever experienced in a car, even though the seats are perfect for my back, which gets sore from time to time. I get no back discomfort at all in these seats.
    Now I'm trying to figure out if the Nav DVD player will decode movie DVDs. I might try swapping the DVD this weekend.
    Earlier on the board we had a discussion on the Auto-Lock feature. Check your manual for all of the features, but it comes deactivated from the factory, and it can only be enabled at the dealership.
    It's a neat tool to have... plus others have found other toys on the CX!
    By the way; you ARE allowing your turbo to cool for 30 seconds or better after hard engaging before shutting it off, aren't you?
    Give 'em a little Turbo hell! :P
    Ok, guess I'm ignorant about turbo...why let it cool for 30 secs after hard engaging before shutting off?

Vince.
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Turbos spin at incredibly high speed which generates a lot of heat. Some models require a cool down period during which time coolant keeps circulating through the turbo. Other makers, such as Subaru, use turbos designed in such a way that it is not necessary. Some people install turbo timers that keep the engine running at idle for a specified time to address the cool off period. In any case, it's a good policy to operate the engine at lower rpms for a few minutes prior to shuting down. Unless you live near the highway, the ride through your community should be adequate.
    I've read elsewhere that people with turbos said that letting them coast while not in gear was a quick way of cooling them down, like being out of gear while you're exiting the offramp or something.

Does this make any sense? Is it a bad idea?
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    You also shouldn't use the turbo right away when engine is cold. For longevity some turbo car owners use synthetic oil after engine is properly broken in.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,547
    I've seen a few posts about coasting to cool down a turbo but always in gear (it's illegal in most states to coast in neutral for safety reasons). Here's one example:

4kster, "Jeep Liberty Diesel" #959, 28 Jun 2005 11:39 am

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• morey000morey000 Posts: 322
    back to the original topic
    07 Santa Fe vs. 06 RAV4 vs. 07 Mazda Cx7

I haven't drivin the Cx7 (yet), but test drove the Rav4 V6 sport, and the 07SF 3.3L Limited back to back last night.

Frankly these are two different classes of vehicle. Yeah the Rav4 is pretty dang peppy, but you can hear that engine buzz, and it's not a pleasant sound. The interior is a huge step down from the SF. the lack of lux features missing from the Rav4 and included in the SF is extreme. The Rav4 felt like a buzzy piece of tin in comparison to the SF. I've never been a hyundai fan, and I was expecting Toyota to hit the nail on the head with this bigger and faster Rav4. But, sadly, i was totally mistaken. The Rav still feels like a cheap mini-ute and the Santa Fe has grown up into a nice vehicle.

flame away- but that was my experience with the two.

But a nod of repect to Toyota for getting 21/26 mpg from a 269hp engine- that's class leading!
    Flame On ...

Buzzy ? You have got to be talking about the 4 cyl base model. I have a 6 cyl Limited and there's no way that engine is buzzy. Nor would I refer to it as a cheap piece of tin. I wasn't very impressed with my 1st test drive of a 4cyl base model. It was sparten on the inside and there was no mistaking it for anything other than a 4 cyl. The limited model with a V6 is a different story.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 322
    well, OK. I exaggerated by describing the Rav4 as a 'cheap piece of tin'. (poetic license :)) However I did notice a number of little things that I thought I would miss that brought it down a notch relative to some other vehicles I've been looking at. Radio controls on the steering wheel (I consider these a safety feature), a auto-dimming rearview mirror (yeah, I know the dealer can add one), no gas charged lifts to lift up the hood, a trip computer, no decent step on the rear bumper- and the whole rear door thing. The aesthetics of the interior design also just didn't measure up. (subjective of course)

I do like that you can fold down the rear seats from a lever in the back- that's cool!

The 3.5L6 does offer great power, but it needs some sound muffling. The sounds that I heard emanating from that hood were very '90's to my ears.
    Inside of your new CX-7 came a "Quick Start" booklet on the gear shift, it states to allow your turbo to cool down for at least 30 seconds after driving up a long hill, or freeway speeds.
    Avoid shutting the engine off abruptly after a long or HARD DRIVE, damage to the turbocharger may result...

I've never owned a turbo before, but if the people who designed and built this baby say "cool down for thirty seconds", then I'm doing just that! ;)
    And honestly, how can anyone be so lazy as to want to coast to your destination rather than sitting in the best crossover SUV for thirty more seconds? :blush:
  • so you think cx-7 handles better than x3,x5, toureg, and fx's? LOL
    I'm confused. I have audio controls on my steering wheel and an auto dimming mirror. Your reference to "sounds emanating from the hood" being very 90's ... well, I don't even know what that means. There are no sounds coming from my hood. If you mean the exhaust note I'm still stumpted. This is one of the most quiet vehicles I've ever owned .. unless it's too quiet for your tastes.
    07 Mazda CX-7 (http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3843.html)
    Frontal
    Driver - 5 Star
    Passenger - 5 Star
    Side
    Front Seat - 5 Star
    Rear Seat - 5 Star
    Rollover
    TBD

06 Hyundai Santa Fe (http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3515.html) (07 TBD)
    Front
    Driver - 4 Star
    Passenger - 5 Star
    Side
    Front Seat - 5 Star
    Rear Seat - 5 Star
    Rollover
    FWD - 3 Star
    AWD - 3 Star

07 Toyota RAV4 (http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/4039.html)
    Front
    Driver - 5 Star
    Passenger - 4 Star
    Side (TBD, showing 06 RAV4 instead)
    Front Seat - 5 Star
    Rear Seat - 5 Star
    Rollover
    FWD - 4 Star
    AWD - 4 Star
    You can just feel how solid the cx-7 body is and how well built it is. I took my first long ride in it ysterday. DAMN! I love this car more everyday. Much smoother highway ride and much quieter than many reviews led us to believe. What were they smoking? I just finished off my first tank of gas and even though I used the A/C way too much, and drove way to fast, I still got 18.8 mpg combined, with mostly city miles. It only cost me $4 more to fill my tank on premium, than it did in my 1998 S70 non-turbo Volvo. I can handle that. Speaking about turbos..... THIS SUCKER IS GREAT! Great pickup power in all gears, even 6th overdrive. No problem zipping up the hills on my ride yesterday. One of my gearhead friends, who builds vintage hotrods, saw the cx-7 and took a drive in mine yesterday evening. He loved it and told his wife he wanted one. They were in the market for a new family car and were looking only at U.S. models. Now he's a convert. He thought the build was great, fit and finish great, handling excellent, breaking excellent, power excellent, look excellent, Sound system excellent. Funny... he usually hates foreign products.
    Oh ... the navigator... I've never had one before. I love it. Already made getting places easier. I live in S.F. Bay Area and we have many tricky roads and businesses hidden away. I don't do anymore backtracking or time wasting searching anymore. LOVE MY NEW CX-7!!!!!!!
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    Actually, yes. All reported by Car & Driver:

CX-7: Roadholding 0.84g
    FX-35: Roadholding 0.80g
    Touareg V8: Roadholding 0.82g
    X5 3.0i: Roadholding 0.82g

Okay, so this is only one little part of the handling equation, and yes, the X3 performs better... But my recollection of the magazine's opinion on the X3 was that it was an extreme rough-rider with the sport package. They found it inappropriate for everyday use, and these are sporty guys!

Put another way, looking only at skidpad grip and braking, the CX-7's numbers are comparable with a Porsche Cayenne V6. Do you think anyone is cross-shopping THOSE two? :shades:
    hahahahah... funny how reviews work. Same thing with movie reviews. The "experts" analyze the heck out of a movie, talking about set lighting, direction, blah blah blah... and then Joe Public loves it and gives it a rave review along with hundreds of other Joe Publics. I believe it might be the same with some car reviews. When you read buyer reviews of the CX-7 you find a bunch of happy people raving about handling, breaking, pickup etc. This includes myself. I think the CX-7 handles great. I'm 56 years old and been around the block a few times, in many cars, including a few sports cars. I love my CX-7 in so many ways, for so many of it's attributes. We can talk about how many g's it generates on a turn, but that may be like talking about the treble range on various speakers. At some point, the average consumer can't tell the difference. I didn't buy my CX-7 to have the perfect car. I bought it because I felt it was the best all around bang for my buck. I wanted an SUV that looked sporty and was fun, as well as having some SUV utility. I didn't need an SUV that could handle mountain trails and streams. The CX-7 had the look and the feel I wanted. If I didn't feel this way, I would have sprung for the extra bucks of a Murano, or Infinity, or X3, or Range Rover etc. I would have convinced myself that I needed to spend the extra money to get the SUV of my dreams. Instead, I got very close to the SUV of my dreams, for a whole lot less money. I canceled out the RAV 4 pretty fast. I thought it was very plane and not very interesting. And... it's not just the money, or I would have gotten the Santa Fe. It's not just fuel consumption or I would have the Rav 4 right now. It's not just 0 - 60 or quarter mile speed, or I would have which ever car was tops in that area. It was the whole package for a very reasonable price. Man I love that body style too.... though someone else posting on this forum might think it sucks. Who the hell cares. I bought what I liked, not to please or compete with someone else. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... and loving it!
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    We bought a Chevy Citation in 1980 based on this comment form C&D: "The Citation is not only the best US car ever made, it could well be the best car ever made period."

Worst car we ever had. So much for expert reviews... ;)
This discussion has been closed.