Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

1212223242527»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The EPA uses the recommended fuel, so for the numbers above both turbos burn premium fuel. The site says so specifically, even estimating prices for the fuel.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,719
    So if you run regular the knock sensor will be forced to retard the timing to compensate which will reduce power and fuel economy slightly from the advertised figures achieved on premium.
    Yeah, but probably not much.

When Subaru's H6 came out and they recommended premium, it made 212hp on 93 octane. Subaru stated the power output with 87 octane was 208hp.

Not all that significant.

It might be a tad more with a turbo, but both the CX7 and F-XT have plenty of power, so I doubt they'll feel slow at all.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,719
    It's not the power difference - that's minimal and would hardly be noticed except under WOT. Fuel economy would also be lower by 1-2 mpg in most cases.
    Dunno about 2mpg, but I'm sure it would drop a bit.

Any how, even if you put premium in the Forester you will save hundreds per year on fuel costs vs. the Edge V6, so the price of gas shouldn't stop anyone from getting one.
  • Any how, even if you put premium in the Forester you will save hundreds per year on fuel costs vs. the Edge V6, so the price of gas shouldn't stop anyone from getting one.

That's what happens when the Ford weighs approximately* 700 lbs more than the Subaru. They're just in different classes altogether. The Edge is more Tribeca-sized.
    True, but the Tribeca offers a 3rd row.

Also, inside, besides width, the Forester doesn't really sacrifice much useable space.

The Forester is a lot more space efficient than the Tribeca, FWIW.
  • Ok, a Murano competitor then. ;)

The Edge is really roomy (and I know roomy, at 6'5"), and three across do actually fit in relative comfort in the third row.
    You mean 2nd row. :shades:

Yeah, that's where the Tribeca beats the Forester - seat width. It also has a 40/20/40 split seat, so it fits 3 individuals much better than the Forester does.

Still, if the buyer puts a priority on performance and wants to keep fuel costs down, the Forester XT is an option for that buyer.
  • No doubt; I was simply trying to point out that the Edge and Forester really don't compare directly sizewise (not in the sense that the CX-7, RAV4 etc. do). In the sense that they are 5-pass CUVs, they do, however.
    Yeah, strange comparo thread, really. The CX7 is sort of small, probably Forester-sized, if that. I'm sure the Subaru has a lot more cargo room. Mazda went for style over space.
This discussion has been closed.