Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

Comments

• carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    C'mon now, Chucky. Posting a dissenting opinion is hardly "My Dad could beat up your Dad." If you look at it that way, then you kindof started it by saying "My Dad is the best, and all of your Dads are inferior and people are ignorant for liking them."

And everyone who's disagreed with you had posted in this forum prior to you, so that hardly makes them trolls. But good luck making a point. Keep trying, and you'll get there eventually.

And now I have that stupid song from the Edge commercials stuck in my head. Thanks fer nuthin'! ;)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    MSRP $32,690, price paid $26,7 something. It CAN be done, I did it.

Only with a $4000 trade-in. That's below dealer COST, much less dealer invoice. Dealers don't give vehicles away - especially the ones that are selling well.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    I test drove the Honda CR-V, Rav4, Santa Fe, Edge. The only one I liked was the Edge. The [non-permissible content removed] crap was all too expensive, too small, cheap looking.

The Santa Fe isn't Japanese. It does look a bit bloated to me. The CRV looks the best. The Edge is right there tho. Too bad Ford can't get over the hump with their interiors.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Add in the Fusion and 500 and remove the Taurus and Ford should be even higher on the 2009 survey.

So does that mean Hyundai will finish as one of the lead automakers in 2009 (since it finished 3rd place behind Porsche and Lexus in 06 IQS)?

Just for the record, I believe both the Fusion/500 and overall Hyundai brand will likely perform well in the upcoming years but right now it's all speculation about the 2009 survey.
    I test drove the Honda CR-V, Rav4, Santa Fe, Edge. The only one I liked was the Edge. The [non-permissible content removed] crap was all too expensive, too small, cheap looking. I am not from Osaka for Pete's sake, I am a corn-fed American (6'4" 210lbs).

If CR-V, RAV4, and Santa Fe are expensive, then so does the Edge. It's a great vehicle and all, but it does have the highest starting MSRP (comparable equipped, I believe Edge still has the highest MSRP).

I have spent an extensive time in all four of these (and more). I would say the Santa Fe is the all around winner, between features, safety, warranty, look, styling, power, comfort, price and other combinations give the SF the lead in the group. My understanding the Santa Fe has been well-received and doing fantastic for Hyundai.

By the way, these vehicles are not small as you stated. I had no problem sitting in the third row of the Santa Fe and RAV4, for example, (unfortunately Edge doesn't have one). Regardless, this is not a forum about country, race, etc but rather about vehicles vehicles, their attributes, features, comparisons, etc.
    The CRV looks the best.

The outgoing model looked pretty good. I am just not sure about the front of the new model. A little better in real-life but by far no looker.
    The 2009 survey will be based on the 2006 models and we're halfway through the 3 yr reliability period. Given that the 06 Fusion and 500 have both been above average in reliability so far (with the Fusion way above average) I think it's a reasonable prediction.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    Please, stop referring to it "reliability survey". It is a "wind-noise" survey.
    It is a survey of reported "problems" which includes wind-noise. But it also includes mechanical failures and problems and driveability issues. It's an industry standard report. If you don't like it, call J.D. Power.
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    This report would be more valuable to me if they provided more details, like what were the detailed findings for each category for each model. Is that detailed information available somewhere? I could not find it on the JD Power website. Is there even a listing of what categories the survey was divided up into or a copy of the actual survey they used?

Also, rankings mean little if the results are so close together as to be statistically insignificant. What I'd really like to see from JD Powers is the numerical value for each car together with it's standard deviation.
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    You must be one of those dumb corn-fed then. Is it something they adding to the corn?

Edge is far behind competition in performance, fuel economy, price, fit and finish (check any car mag review in recent months. The only thing that helps is that it is based on Mazda (Japanese) platform. Still average dealer sells 3 (three) copies of it every month. Open your hood and honestly tell us how many parts "Made in the USA" do you see? How about yours TV, Video camera, watch, parts inside your computer? See it is all global now, some Ford models have 30% of parts made in the US, and on the other hand Toyota or Honda may have 60%. I don't care to whose rich pockets profit goes, thousands have jobs here assembling, selling and servicing those cars.
    And don't forget to call it crap next time some medical equipment (made in Japan) just saved somebody's life...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    This is a comparison topic intended to discuss specific vehicles. It is not the place to debate political issues related to domestics versus imports.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Must be something in the water. I can't remember seeing so many nasty posters in so many different forums at the same time.
    The 2009 survey will be based on the 2006 models

So the 2009 survey will feature Porsche, Lexus, Hyundai as the top three most reliable nameplate?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    You guys probably all own Mac's too.

Completely off the subject, but, I own 2 Mac's and use a PC at work, the Mac is superior in every way from reliability to being user friendly. The list really goes on and on. :P

Japanese vehicles tend to be more reliable then American makes, especially in the long run. Their vehicles hold up better as a whole over a long period of time. American makes tend to fall apart, and become less "tight" or reliable. My family has owned numerous Fords with little to no problems, but didn't drive as well once they hit over 100,000 miles as the [non-permissible content removed] brands did. They also required more maintenance at the mileage as well. Where as owning a few Honda's, 1 Toyota, 1 Mitsu. They all felt very secure one hitting 100K. I currently own a Mazda with 30K, and drives like the day I bought it.
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Posts: 80
    This is the most ridiculous thread I've yet seen. There is one simple reason to buy foreign - ownership cost over time. If you factor depreciation, gas, taxes, maintenance, repairs etc, the comparison over multiple years of ownership is a joke. American cars costing thousands of dollars less than their competitors are actually much more expensive over time. All thing being equal, I'd love to buy American. However, I'm not about to subsidize a substandard product with my money. I simply cannot afford it, and would not want to promote mediocrity.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,981
    Our handy-dandy True Cost to Own tool will let you compare those factors for your potential new car out over 5 years.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• markanmarkan Posts: 48
    My wife and I have spent some time test driving CUV's. We drove the RAV 4, Murano, Santa Fe, Edge, CX7, and Tribeca. All had pluses and minuses. We narrowed it down to the Edge and Tribeca based on the total package of comfort, style, and performance. This will be a tough choice!!!
  • dbp812dbp812 Posts: 2
    I have been test driving a Rav4 and a SF. I have always owned a Toyota but I find I really like the SF. My concern is that I don't know much about Hyundai.... reading reviews etc make it sound wonderful.... anyone disapointed that they purchased the SF?
This discussion has been closed.