Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

Comments

• strange. i thought CX7 was just another bad CUV. santa fe looks better IMO, and so far every mag i've read was high on santa fe, and wasn't too big on cx7. well mags aren't always right though.

anyway, i had a chance to drive cx7 when my GF was shopping for mazda 3 or civic. i was never a fan of mazda except mazda 3 and miata. i don't like mpv, i hate rx-8, and 6 is so-so.

anyway cx7 looks boring compared to what i've seen on pics. when it first came out on pics, i thought it looked great, but in person, it turned me down. i don't like the cheap looking altezza tail either, and the there is an awkwardness in the side profile. front looks good in an aggressive way, but lacked detail IMO.

i don't remember in every details of my brief test drive couple of months ago, but i remember i wasn't impressed at all. maybe too sporty for my taste? the experience was kinda like what i had with mazda 6.

i haven't test drive a santa fe yet. i wanted to but my dealer only has 2.7

i would spend few grand more to get a murano over outrageously expensive cx7. maybe that was one of the biggest reason it turned me off. santa goes over 30k too, but i'm sure you can get an awesome deals on santa later.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    On gas mileage, there seems to be quite a difference between the RAV4 and the CX-7. The 6 cylinder RAV 4 gets 21/28. The CX-7 (and the Sante Fe) get 18/24 on premium. (Using regular when the specs call for premium is not smart). While this difference seems small, it is indeed substantial over time. If one drives 15,000 miles per year, driving 50% city/50 highway, I came up with a difference of about $600/year. You keep the car 5 years and that comes to $3000. This will be true if, IF, the Chinese stop increasing their demand for oil and the U.S. government does nothing to stop climate change and the price of gas remains the same. Of course those things will not happen and the price will continue to rise, meaning the difference could be around $4000 and a big difference in emissions.
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Read some other stuff and sites. RAV4 I4 is like 28 hwy for lots of people. V6 is like 26++. Easy to get 16MPG in RAV4 v6. It is a blast to drive. Leave the CX7 in the dust..
  • almcg2almcg2 Posts: 14
    I've been shopping for 6 or 7 months now, for my next car. Until yesterday I drove a 98 Volvo S70. I'm 56 and felt it was time for a more interesting ride. I'm a real active guy, karate teacher, weight lifter, kick boxing instructor, high school teacher, track coach, back packer etc.... and felt the S70 was comfy, nice to look at, but boring. So I narrowed the field to the Murano and CX-7. The Murano had lots of room, but sort of felt heavy. Love the exterior looks, but the interior was sort of boring. I also drove an FX35 and a Caddy SRX. Looked at all the GM products as well as the Fords, Honda, Toyota, Lexus and Chrysler Pacifica. Nothing caught my eye or emotions. I also didn't want a nuclear blast to my finances....But... I wanted a new car, that looked cool and felt cool. I also wanted a little more room than a sedan. Then I saw the CX-7. I LOVED what I saw. A great look. I waited for a test drive for a few months and finally had my chance last month. WOW!!! I was sold. Went to a Mazda dealership yesterday that had the color and options I wanted, and 1 1/2 hours later, I drove out with my new Red Copper Mica GT CX-7. Sand, leather interior and Tech package. I love it!!!!!! I make enough money not to care about the extra hundred or two a year the gas might cost me. This is one hell of a crossover SUV. All the room I need. I have two kids, 13 and 17, and they love the back seats. Handling is fantastic as is the performance. Very exciting engine. Feels like a 6, not a 4. The Turbo is cool as hell. It's only the second CX-7 I've seen on the road in my area, so I finally have a car that you don't see every 30 seconds. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Damn, feel the energy...congrats!

Vince.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    i would spend few grand more to get a murano over outrageously expensive cx7

This guy can't be serious! where is the CX-7 "outrageously expensive"?!?!?!?
    If you compare the cars side by side, amenity to amenity, you'll see the CX-7 comes out way ahead on the bang for buck scale. There is a debate on which car you like, which is fine,we all have our own opinions, but qualify your remarks with something other than "i don't remember in every details of my brief test drive couple of months ago"...
  • "The CX-7 (and the Sante Fe) get 18/24 on premium."

Just as an aside, the 3.3-liter Santa Fe gets 19 mpg in the city and requires only regular (87-octane) unleaded gasoline.

Mike
  • "Interior accommodations and quality: Compared to the CX7, the Santa Fe is primitive. Hyundai doesn't offer Nav nor does it offer Satellite radio. Hyundai does not offer premium audio like CX-7 offers. Security features on Santa Fe are minimal compared to CX7. Leather seating in Hyundai is inferior quality compared to CX7. Also, Sante Fe design is very dated (at least 5 years). Accelleration seemed to be the same in both.

Granted comparing a 2004 with a 2007 is somewhat like comparing apples and oranges, but I've looked at the current Santa Fe and walked away wondering why Hyundai is stuck 1st gear. CX7 is far superior."

Just a few things to note: the '07 Santa Fe (as indicated by the thread title) is a completely different, far superior vehicle to the last generation models that you and I drive. Fit & finish is much improved, and I think you'll find the new interior, while very different in appearance, to be constructed of materials that are at least as good as the Mazda.

I'm not really sure what you meant by "security features," but if you're referring to safety devices, the Santa Fe meets or beats the CX-7 on all of those fronts as well, even offering standard active front-seat head restraints that are unavailable on the Mazda.

As to the availability of satellite radio and a navigation system, the former will be standard later this year (XM) and the latter will be offered sometime next. A ten-speaker Infinity ® logic 7 surround sound system is available on the Limited trim; it includes a subwoofer and 605-watt external amplifier. Also note that the Hyundai's DVD entertainment system is currently available, whereas it is not on the Mazda. Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity will be offered this fall.

Mike
    Also note that the Hyundai's DVD entertainment system is currently available, whereas it is not on the Mazda

Uhhh, yeah it is... Just check the catalog at Mazdausa.com or your local Mazada dealership for a brochure. :P

On a side note; the AWD is rated at 19 city - 24 hwy, real world figures are still coming in on the fwd.
  • I did -- note the "delayed availability." I didn't intend to suggest that it won't be available, only that it isn't just yet (so, not a knock on the vehicle - I actually quite like the CX-7!).
    ;)

But yeah, on the fuel economy: 19/24 for the CX-7 FWD and Santa Fe 3.3 (FWD & AWD), and 18/24 for the CX-7 AWD. I'm sure there won't be any perceivable difference between them in real-world driving, though. Of course those are just EPA estimates....

Mike
    According to Inside Line : The optional system is an Infinity stereo with 10 speakers, a six-disc CD changer and an external amplifier. It comes in one of three option packages, all of which include the rear-seat DVD player. The least expensive package that includes the upgraded stereo is $3,500
    Ouch!

The GT loaded up WITH the Tech Pacakage & Sirius is 31K... The Santa Fe is getting pretty close to Murano territory.

Not a bad car, just wish it offered HID lights and Sirius! ;)
  • "Not a bad car, just wish it offered HID lights and Sirius! ;)"

True dat. (Is Sirius the better of the two? I'm not really that familiar with either system.) The Santa Fe is quite a bit roomier, though.... ;) But honestly, I think the CX-7 is a bit more in-line with my driving personality. The Santa Fe I see as being the more practical, family-oriented of the two (I'd get an SE), but not in an "oh... guess I have to settle for this thing" kinda way.
    :)

Mike
    In my opinion Sirius does it for me... I'm a Stern fan BUT the music channels are COMPLETELY commercial free!

Not everyone is a fan of Howard and the gang, but if you're into sports; Sirius has virtually all of the major sports except MLB, and NASCAR is going to Sirius after this season.

And XM... Well XM has Oprah. :blush:
  • ctxctx Posts: 50
    Yes. And XM does not have Stern. But it does have everything else.
    Yep.... say what youo want about the CX-7. I've never owned a Mazda in my life. I drove all the contenders, and the CX-7 blew them all away in style, manuverability and THE FUN FACTOR! This car is soooo cool... I love it. I've had many cars in my 56 years, and this one is my favorite so far. Some folks complain about the 4 cyl. Man.. are they off track. This sucker moves! It feels like the Jetta V6 I drove last year. Manuverabilty is awesome! I forget I'm in an SUV. The Murano isn't even close... and that's from a guy who almost bought one after 4 test drives. I'm having fun, discover great features of the car everyday, and am in awe of Mazda's craftsmanship on this beauty.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Ditto here and would you believe, I had a little run-in with an RX-8 on the freeway yesterday. He ate my dust! :shades:
    Takes a real man to admit that he got dusted while driving the best car on the road today! :shades:
    heheheheh.... I had some fun with a few other SUV's driving home (the long way..) from the dealership. I'm trying to be careful because It's not fully broken in yet. Love the turbo. The nav is fantastic. I love how it reroutes when you take wrong turns. Great system. Haven't figured how to use he voice commands or voice nav yet. Wondering if the nav can also decode movie DVD's. Anyone try this yet?
    Zoom, Zoom, Zoom.....
  • honakerhonaker Posts: 74
    Wondering if the nav can also decode movie DVD's.

I don't know if it can or can't, but the player is under the passenger seat, and you have to remove a piece (I think it's just taking out a screw or two) to get to the eject button.
    uh oh.... that's too easy. I feel a strange force which is telling me I have to try it....
    Just came back from a ride in the new baby. Man that suckeris fast once the turbo kicks in. Handeling is much better than any of the other SUV's I drove including the infinity. LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.