Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    the problem with the rabbit's stereo has nothing to do with the auto-volume feature.the radio volume adjusts by itself with the auto-volume feature in the off position and none of the vw dealers can figure it out.
  • Thanks for the tips, Eldaino....
    You are all helping a great deal with this decision. I'll post another message in a more general area. I'm still not sure how where this will post.
  • Today I forced myself to look once again at the Nissan Sentra for two reasons: Fuel economy and an innate sense of Japanese reliability that I can't seem to shake. All I had to do was sit in the Sentra to realize that the Rabbit wins hands down. The materials are so much cheaper and lightweight...probably one of the reasons it does quite a bit better on fuel.

The Rabbit is MUCH more comfortable for a tall person, and it fills up by voracious ego much better. LOL There's just something about a German made vehicle that fits my life better. After my 99 Passat issues, I feel like I'm taking a risk, but I plan to purchase the Rabbit 4 door. My only hesitations are reliability, resale, rattles, the stereo volume that has a mind of it's own, and fuel economy. But, after a few spins around the freeway ramps with it, I'm sure I'll forget all about them.

I think I'll go with the dark grey exterior, lighter grey fabric, tiptronic and alloy and rubber mats. Is the traction control and the rear airbags worth the extra expense? About 3 times a year, someone will use the back seat. Anything else you would recommend I consider?

I wish I could get a dimming rearview mirror and compass. But I'll get used to that too...

Where did someone buy this combination for 17K? Or was that a two door? I'm not sure why they are so much less.

So, who wants a great 03 Camry XLE w/ leather/alloy and only 52K miles?

Thanks again, guys (and gals!).
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    Traction control is standard on the Rabbit. Did you mean stability control? That is a great safety feature if you can afford the extra bucks and can find the car you want with it. The Rabbit scores very well on side crash tests w/o the rear side bags, so for 3 times a year ??? If you want "max safety", go for it.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Posts: 78
    The electronic stability package (ESP) was only about a $300 option when I bought my Golf. I didn't get it, but then I rarely leave Southern California. If you live just about anywhere else, then I'd recommend the ESP. It's one of those options that will soon be standard on every car, because it makes every car safer.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    ...innate sense of Japanese reliability

The thing about that is that it is really more a Honda/Toyota thing. From what I have seen, Nissan is genereally pretty much average in terms of reliability rankings by CR, etc. Granted VW has been below average.

To get an idea of the magnitude of the difference, you could compare edmunds estimated repair costs. Over 5 years and 75,000 miles, they give a total figure of $815 for a rabbit and $637 for Sentra. This is about a 25% difference, which sounds like a lot when looked at on a relative basis like that. But when looked at on a absolute basis, an average difference of $36 per year sure would not be a reason to choose one over the other, if it were me.

I don't know how accurate their mantenance cost estimates are, but edmunds shows $4500 for Sentra vs. $3341 for Rabbit. If this is accurate, it more than makes up for the difference in expected repair costs and offsets some of the fuel economy difference, as well.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    it does have to do with the stereo, its a feature of the stereo thats messing up right? And since not every rabbit owner is experiencing it, its a problem with the individual stereo feature itself.
    no prob d. ;)
    Denver: to answer some of your questions, i think you'll be ok as far as rattles goes. Some 06 rabbit owners experienced it, but this is common with all first generation cars. Most of the bugs have been worked out and i have not had ANY rattles at all.

I know what you mean about the interiors; vw really owns everyone in this respect. I still really liked my old civic's interior, but the rabbits is a tiny bit better. Jeffyscott is right about the quality issues; nissan is pretty average in this regard, so i'm not suprised at your reaction to the sentra.

My stereo has been fine.

Reliabilty is defintely a long term thing, but if it makes you feel better my wife and i have had our rabbit for six months and we are just over 13k with only one windshield wiper adjustment done at the dealer under warranty and thats it. No other problems at all. (if you can even call that a problem.)

As far as resale value goes, the rabbit and vw's in general do very good; not as ultra well as honda, but thats probably because of past reliabitlity issues. So the fact that they still hold their value despite those past issues is impressive. (a little off topic, but the R32, which is the highest performance golf or rabbit you can get even above the gti, is one of the very VERY few cars in recent years that actually commands a used price that is only a few hundred dollars off its orginal msrp!)

Yes i was mr. 17k rabbit. But mine was a two door, and as feature-laden as it is, the 4 door adds things like a sunroof, traction control (the 2 door has 'anti slip regulation' which controls your engine speed over icy or wet pavement.), heated seats, a different fabric and actual adjustable vents for the rear passengers. It also has body color side moldings and a nicer six disc cd changer.

But the interior is not really any nicer and the amount of back seat room is exactly the same on the 4 door. (the 2 door's actual doors are longer to compensate for the lack of 4.) Its just the whole 'getting in and out' convinience that the 4 door makes easier. Anyway, my 2 door was 17095 and it has the tiptronic and the 16 inch alloy wheel package. Maybe a more optioned out 2 door would be better for you? 3 times a year is not all that much to go the extra mile for a 4 door imho, but it really is up to you.

I have the dark (united gray) exterior with the dark gray (anthracite) interior. Its a wonderful color. Hope this helps!!
  • Thanks everyone for your help! I'm getting closer, but I had to throw one more wrench in it today. I was at a Denver dealership and someone was taking delivery of a new Wolfsburg Jetta Tiptronic. It is exactly 2K MSRP more than the 4 door Rabbit (with Tiptronic, Alloy and Stability Control). But, it has all that the of that plus heated leatherette interior and sunroof, and of course a lot more trunk space.

Putting aside style and focusing JUST on reliability, will I be as happy with a Jetta as a Rabbit? I know the Jetta is assembled in Mexico, but otherwise it's the same engine and frame or so it seems. The interiors are remarkably similar too. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Rabbit, but I was quite fond of that lighter grey interior leatherette and the fact that the Jetta was basically already equipped the way I wanted. I don't care about the sunroof, but even at my height, I don't loose too much headroom. Thanks again.
    Putting aside style and focusing JUST on reliability, will I be as happy with a Jetta as a Rabbit? I know the Jetta is assembled in Mexico, but otherwise it's the same engine and frame or so it seems.

The parts are the same and don't really care where they are put together. I don't believe there is any evidence that VW assembled in Mexico are any less reliable than those assembled in Germany.
    very true. But i do know some people who are very much so 'well i have a GERMAN built rabbit' and stuff like that. But its all the same thing.

Hey denver; the wolfsburg edition is awesome! The leatherette is nice, but remember the jetta also weighs more than the rabbit, so it may feel a bit more of a porker, and the seats in the four door bunny are heated too!

As far as feeling just as happy with it goes, i love the fact that i can pretty much guarantee i wont see a rabbit for miles anywhere i go. Jettas are a bit more common, (not 2.0t's or gli's just mostly 2.5's), but then again not as much as like, a civic, accord, corolla or the like. I like knowing not to many other people have my car. Hope
    this helps!
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,872
    I think the Wolfsburg edition has heated seats standard, as well.. It is a a pretty nice package for the money... They are essentially the same car.. just two different body styles, right?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• The Wolfsburg is a Jetta that is prepackaged with some nice options. However, today I saw that it comes with the most basic stereo like the one on the 2 door Rabbit with a single disc CD changer. It sounded just fine, however.
    Nevertheless, I am going with the Rabbit. Aren't you all relieved! Now, I have to sell my car first. I'm looking at posting an ad online...is Autotrader.com the best? Any other ideas? I sold my 99 Passat in short order in the Denver Post both in print and online. But, times may have changed...where do you shop for used cars these days?

Also, have you seen many Sage Green Rabbits? They are VERY rare here. In fact, one dealer had a two door green one that was earmarked for the Denver Auto Show in a couple weeks. It is a sharp color and comes with the darker grey interior. So, of course, that's the color I want. Will I find it easily? I may have to be patient. I don't know if dealers transfer these all over the country, or if I may need to order it and wait. I'm not even sure they will special order them.

Thanks for your input...
  • jbaustianjbaustian Posts: 78
    I think when the VW plant in Puebla first started up, there were some problems. But at least since 2001 or 2002 that plant has been assembling cars with very few glitches... or at least no more than the Jetta wagons that all came from Germany. Also, for what it's worth, my Golf was built in Curitiba, Brazil, and has been exceptionally trouble-free.

Volkswagen and its subsidiaries have plants and parts suppliers all over the world.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    I think when the VW plant in Puebla first started up, there were some problems. But at least since 2001 or 2002 that plant has been assembling cars with very few glitches... or at least no more than the Jetta wagons that all came from Germany. Also, for what it's worth, my Golf was built in Curitiba, Brazil, and has been exceptionally trouble-free.

Agreed. I have a 1997 Jetta Trek (209,000 miles) and a 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta (90,000 miles), and both have been relatively trouble free.
    I have to sell my car first. I'm looking at posting an ad online...is Autotrader.com the best? Any other ideas?

Can't hurt to try craigslist.org for your area, since it is free. I had a good level of responses, sold a junker on there for $400. Every time I updated the ad, I had calls within about 1/2 hour. I also had 2-3 people inquire just based on a sign on the car and it was parked in driveway on a low traffic residential street and not being driven anywhere.
    yeah the rabbit is just the hatch version of the jetta, but it weighs a bit less and feels a bit more nimble.
    have you seen many Sage Green Rabbits? They are VERY rare here. In fact, one dealer had a two door green one that was earmarked for the Denver Auto Show in a couple weeks. It is a sharp color and comes with the darker grey interior. So, of course, that's the color I want. Will I find it easily? I may have to be patient. I don't know if dealers transfer these all over the country, or if I may need to order it and wait. I'm not even sure they will special order them.

Well den, it seems that i see very few rabbits in general! The only sage greens i've ever seen was at a dealer, and it was a four door, and recently in charlotte, close to where i get my haircut. I've never seen a 2 door. I like the clean look of the 4 doors, i know its very european to have them, but i'll be ordering the body colored ones soon.(i've got a whole list of upgrades i'm givin her!)
  • I have a 2007 Rabbit that was purchased a few months ago with a problem that is really annoying. My left front tire has been replaced 2 times for being "out of round" by Discount Tire (b/c vw doesn't certify its tires). Now this will be the 3rd out of round tire I have had in the same location. I'm going to be taking it in to my VW dealer, but was wondering if anyone has experienced this same issue? or does anyone know what could by causing my car to "hop" all over the road?
    thanks..