Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• natenj1971natenj1971 Posts: 174
    My mom had a dasher and then a quantum back in the day. Both ran flawlessly. Good times.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Dasher
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    My Brother, R.A.Ketchledge was a long time exec with VWoA and actually named the "Quantum", wanting a hi-tech 'science' feel for the car.
    He stayed with VWoA until the 80's and the release of the first US GTI, and he also ran the Westmorland factory for a time, before leaving to head up Sterling.

He was with VWoA from the early 60's so I grew up as he brought home newer type 1,2,3,4's and more. It was fun to pick out the yearly changes! I myself had a 1983 GTI and loved that car. I also autocrossed it in SCCA Solo.
  • Hey, I kind of ran into the same problems you have.
    I sent out a few request's for dealers in the bay area, and maybe a week later, got a response.
    I just started going to bayareavolkswagen.com , they list all the dealers current stock, and it is updated VERY quickly.
    I found my 2 door manual at Dirritto bros, in WC, went the next day and bought it.
    Good overall experience...although the first salesman I talked to before the 2 doors arrived, never called when they got the 2 doors in...so I bought it from a different salesman.
  • Thanks bpeachee1,

My experiences with the Bay Area VW dealers was nothing but atrociously disappointing. I "was" in the market for a fully loaded 4 door and could not find one. Actually spoke with a somewhat competent young guy from Sonnen in Marin who searched the future shipments for me. Evidently VW is not putting together fully loaded cars and the mass majority that are coming over the pond are bare bones. Sad considering how much of a deal the commercials make about the options.

I'm going to hold out to see what the 2008 TDIs are like and how these Rabbits are with service. If I even go with VW at all.

TDIs were an awesome option in Germany but one still had to deal with the diesel car tax and see if any money would actually be saved. However, now that diesel gas is no longer the cheapest choice of gas the point of owning a TDI isn't clear to me other than paying my fair share more to clean up the air only infinitesimally.

The diesel I see available here in the bay area is more expensive than premium and will most likely become even more so once the sulfur free stuff hits the market. Keeping this in mind I would venture to say the new TDIs may be marked up so high as to render owning one and saving money pointless -- as is the current situation with hybrids.

-A
  • Apprciate it, I'll take a look at them.

-A
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    ok first of all... a 2.0TDI (if it's ever gonna come) will eat less diesel than any 2.0 gas out there... so don`t say you won`t be saving cash... and secondly.. u`ll help cleaning the environment in more than one way: 1. less fuel for you; 2. less emissions...

Diesels are the way to go... and yes... the small 1.4TFSI in Europe is also great...
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    I am interested also in a VW 2008 TDI 4 door is they are going to make it. I was wondering if anyone knows if the new TDI engine now in the Jetta TDI and the new 2.0 coming out for the Rabbit, has a timing belt or timing chain??? Does anyone has this knowledge???? The old TDI's had belts and needed to be changed at 55K, not ideal. The new 2.5 5 cylinder gas engine has a timing chain, never needing replacement.

All other factores being about equal, this could sway me one way or the other.

Somebody??

abfisch
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    There was never a 55,000 mile interval.

1999-Current TDI's can all use a 80,000 or 100,000 mile timing belt interval.
    It is correct that the timing belt interval was as low as 60,000 miles on pre-2003 TDI models, however, the belt and tensioner were improved and at the first change the new style belt and tensioner allow either a 80,000 or 100,000 mile interval depending on the year and engine type.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Diesel engines are expected to return to the VW lineup sometime between 4th quarter of 2007 and mid-year of 2008 as 2008 models.
  • smt2smt2 Posts: 1
    It looks like a sunroof is not available on a 2 door Rabbit. Does anyone know if that will change in the future? It doesn't seem in keeping with VW tradition to not have a sunroof available on it's base model, although other manufacturer's have gone that way. :(
  • Check out this incorrect picture of a Rabbit.

This article is supposed to be about the new Rabbit but instead they show a picture of the previous generation. Just lazyness?

The Bunny Returns
    http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_2847.php
  • The article is about the GTI, not the Rabbit. But, yes, it is the wrong image.
  • That is probably right on the money. VW will introduce its new generation of TDIs with common rail (and probably 2,000 bar injection pressure) sometime next year in Europe. I am sure that VW will want them to be 50 state so it would take some time to get here. 2008 Model Year is what has been rumored. BTW, those diesels will be very nice, the current PDs make up to 170 hp and 253 pound feet of torque out of 2 liters. The common rail ones will only get better.
  • nippononly

The ipod connector option is different from the AUX input jack. The AUX input is standard, the ipod connector is an option.

Ben
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    How would you compare the Fit to the Rabbit. They're both about the same size. The Rabbit is quicker, but costs about $5K more with the same options. Plus Honda reliability is better than VW. I just don't know if it's worth the extra money for "german engineering" especially when on Dodge commercials they advertise "german engineering" too, and I'm not too impressed with Dodge.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,076
    Don't forget about much lower gas mileage...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    The Rabbit is a much bigger/heavier car than the Fit. If you've driven both the Fit and Rabbit, you know that the Rabbit has the feel of a much more expensive car, both in driving and the interior, while the Fit feels like an econobox, although a quality one. The Fit has the magic seats and better fuel economy, but the Rabbit is quite roomy and has a lot more power and torque.

And it's not a $5k difference. The Rabbit starts at $15.6k including destination, very well equipped. The base Fit is about $1000 less, but with considerably less equipment.

Honda's overall reliability is better than VWs, but consider the Rabbit is built in Germany, while many other U.S. VWs come from outside Germany. The Fit is a five-year-old design so it should be very reliable. The Rabbit/Golf has been sold in Europe for a couple of years now in its current form, so it does have some track record.

Don't confuse Dodge's advertising re "German engineering" with reality. I wonder how much of the Caliber, for example, is really the result of "German engineering."
    From the VW webpage for a Rabbit 4 dr to compare to the Fit 4dr:
    3173 lbs
    Base MSRP†: $ 16,990
    Destination Fee: $ 630
    Rear Side Impact Airbags $ 350
    Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/Tiptronic® $ 1,075
    Total MSRP: $ 19,045

Fit 2551 lbs
    My 2007
    Fit Sport Automatic Transmission
    Base MSRP*: $15,970
    Destination & Handling: $595
    MSRP including selected accessories: $16,565

I was wrong...not $5000 difference, but $2500 difference for comparably equiped vehicles. But after doing a "compare vehicles" on cars.com, there are quite a few added features on the Rabbit. It's 600lbs heavier, so that's probably why the mpg is so low. It's just hard for me to swallow driving a vehicle the size of a Rabbit and not getting 30+ mpg consistently, but if that doesn't bother you then the Rabbit isn't too bad.
    These are NOT comparably equipped cars. First, why add the rear side airbags to the Rabbit when they aren't even available on the Fit? Second, the Rabbit is much better equipped than the Fit Sport. The 5-door Rabbit has standard features such traction control, power driver's seat with height adjustment, heated driver's and passenger's seats, adjustable lumbar support on driver's and passenger's seats, heated mirrors, telescopic steering wheel, floor mats, 6-speed Tiptronic automatic, and 10-speaker audio with CD changer. Plus a much more luxurious interior. So you get a lot of additional features for the $2100 price difference. And it's less of a difference if you go with the MT models, since VW charges more for the 6-speed Tiptronic than Honda charges for the 5-speed autoshifter in the Fit.

Or as I noted earlier, go with the 3-door Rabbit and it's only about $1000 difference compared to the base Fit, and actually less than the Fit Sport.

I do want higher fuel economy than what the Rabbit can offer, but I appreciate the package the Rabbit delivers for the money, especially in 3-door form. But I don't consider the Fit the closest thing to the Rabbit 5-door. That would be the Mazda3s.
    The Fit comes with standard side curtain airbags that protect the rear passengers(http://automobiles.honda.com/models/safety_overview.asp?ModelName=Fit- ), so that's why I added them to the Rabbit and why it's $2500 difference. Yes the Rabbit has the Tiptronic and the Fit has the steering wheel paddle shifters. So if the other things you mentioned (traction control, power driver's seat with height adjustment, heated driver's and passenger's seats, adjustable lumbar support on driver's and passenger's seats, heated mirrors, telescopic steering wheel, floor mats) are worth $2500 then okay.

If you look at both base models, it's $1100 difference and that's without the curtain airbags on the Rabbit.
    You are confusing side curtain airbags, which both the Rabbit and Fit have standard, with rear side airbags, which the Rabbit has as an optional feature (unique in this class) and the Fit doesn't offer them at all. They are like the side airbags that come out of the sides of the front seats, but in the rear, and provide additional protection to rear passengers.
    you are correct...back to $2000 difference.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Side curtains are std on rabbit, these are for head protection. The option is for rear side thorax airbags, which protect chest area.
  • pog4pog4 Posts: 13
    I have to admit, I have been reading reviews and trying to figure out which new hatchback I want to purchase and I keep going back to the Rabbit. I know you if I purchase one I could have some reliability issues, but in the past I owned a 91 golf that that was getting close to 200k miles and the only problems I ever had where the rubber hangers that held the exhaust in place would break ever 15k miles or so. I also had a 2000 beetle that for about 30k miles with no problems.

I don’t like the fact that it gets 22/30 epa mileage but I am planning on replacing an 03 outlander that gets 21/26, so I would see an improvement on the highway.

I think the reason I am pulled to the rabbit is the fact it does not feel like a cheap car and does not look out of proportion. I like all the new small cars but with the raised roof line they loose their visual road appeal in my eyes.

I really like the mazda3 but we already have a protégé5 that we will replace it in a few years with a newer model.
  • I'm going to hold out to see what the 2008 TDIs are like and how these Rabbits are with service.

From what I've heard, only the Jetta is going to be offered as a TDI as a 50-state vehicle in 2008. If you want a Rabbit TDI, you'll have to go outside of California to get one. :(
  • pog4pog4 Posts: 13
    Do you think the upcoming jetta wagon will be available with TDI in california?
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi folks,i just picked up a copy of car and driver magazine.the 07 rabbit was part of a 6 car comparison test.the other 5 vehicles that were part of the test came in the following order....
    07 nissan sentra 2.os...6th place...
    07 toyota corolla le....5th place,07 hyundai elantra se....4th place,07 honda civic lx....3rd place,07 mazda 3s touring....2nd place,and now for the car that came in 1st place in this comparison test by car and driver magazine....
    07 VOLKSWAGEN RABBIT!!!.....
    What about the Fit and Versa?
    They are in a different car class, the so-called B class, along with the likes of the Accent, Rio, and Aveo.

CR will be reviewing those cars in their December issue, due out soon.
    That's funny since the Versa is bigger than the Rabbit.
This discussion has been closed.