Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    the fit and the yaris were not part of the comparison test.what suprised me though was that the rabbit finished ahead of the 2nd place mazda 3.i test drove a mazda 3 before deciding on my 07 rabbit 4dr.i felt that the mazda 3 had a rougher ride than the rabbit and i felt every bump with the mazda 3.on the other hand the rabbit had a much better ride with almost the same handleing as the 3 and was much quieter on the road and also felt much more solid as well.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,747
    I am a little surprised to see the Rabbit top the Mazda3s in C/D's comparo, because C/D has raved about the Mazda3s in the past. Personally I think the Mazda3 has superior handling to the Rabbit, but the Rabbit is solid there and the ride is a little smoother in the Rabbit. C/D must have liked the Rabbit's handling though, because that is their #1 priority. I was also surprised to see the Corolla top the new Sentra--I recently drove the Sentra and thought it was a much superior car to the Corolla except in fuel economy.

I'll have to read the review when I get my home issue--which usually comes a few days after it hits the newsstands. :mad:
    I think the Mazda3 is bigger outside than the Rabbit also, and the Elantra and Sentra are bigger inside than all the other cars tested--the Elantra is actually a mid-sized car by interior room. So classifying the cars is a tough exercise. The Versa is considered a B class car by how it is positioned by Nissan and by price. It is exceptionally roomy for the B class though. Note that C/D reviewed the Versa along with the Fit, Yaris, Accent, Rio5 etc. a few months ago.

What is a little odd about the comparo is that C/D compared some sedans (Civic, Corolla, Elantra, Sentra) to at least one hatchback (Rabbit) and maybe two (don't know if the Mazda3s was a sedan or hatch). There's some natural inequities when hatches are compared to sedans. The hatches are more versatile, and the sedans are usually quieter than their hatch counterparts. By rights, C/D should have compared the Jetta to the other sedans.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Actually the scores seemed a little manipulated to get a win for the Rabbit. The Mazda 3 lost by 3 points to the Rabbit. After saying the Mazda was the sports sedan of the bunch and scoring it higher in both engine and handling categories, they gave the Rabbit 4 more points than the Mazda for "gotta have it" and "fun to drive". They also gave only 1 point to the Rabbit for fuel economy and said passengers won't love it like the driver. The Elantra got the edge for passenger comfort.
    Odd. Mazda3 had better handling and engine, but the Rabbit was "more fun to drive"? I can't wait to read how they justify that.

I always wondered about C/D's practice of scoring cars in a comparo based on someone's opinon of what someone else "has to have." To me, "gotta have it" should be based on the buyer's own criteria, not on what someone else considers "cool." We do know that those little rabbit emblems are a "gotta have it" item--unfortunately for Rabbit owners. :(
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    the Civic they loved so much just a few short months ago is now third place? Of course, the Civic lost previously to the Mazda3, which they adore beyond all reason. I will be very curious to read this article.

As much as I like the Mazda3s hatch in many ways, I would agree that the Rabbit has it beaten for interior accomodations - design and materials. I will take the Mazda on exterior styling though. And it gets slightly better mileage. Plus, if what you want is four doors plus alloys and a moonroof, you can get the Mazda for about $2000 less than the Rabbit, which will have other stuff built in that you might not necessarily want.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I'm surprised the 2007 Jetta wasn't included in the comparo. At $16,490 + dest., would seem like a more appropriate choice.

Surprising is how low the "brand new" Elantra and Sentra placed. Even more astonishing is that the Sentra lost to a 4 year old designed Corolla and the "new" Elantra only slighly edged the Toyota out (who only placed 3rd back in C&D's comparo in 2002).

Doesn't bode well for both of these cars especially once the 2008 Corolla and 2008/2009 Saturn Ion/Opel Astra arrives.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    When did C/D say that they loved the civic so much? This is not a 'you don't know what you are talking about' sort of thing at all, i just can't remember! I do remember always wondering why it took so long for c/d to review the new civics when they came out; the jumped all over the si, but they took their time with the new civcs.
    Maybe it was because the only jetta that actually goes for that price is the value edition and it's the least equipped model in the jetta line and even then i've never seen it sticker for less than 18,000. All the models in this comparo were not the lowest trim level of each respective one.

Also volkswagen does not really think the jetta compares to any of these cars; they aim for a higher class i suppose; they call it thier midsize sedan, i guess the passat is their full size since the phaeteon is dead now.
    I don't think so. To VOLKSWAGEN the jetta does not compete in this class even though on paper it looks like it should. The rabbit is a bit cheaper though so it fits better. the fact that volkswagens entry level car happens to be a hatch should make no difference; and maybe as a general rule hatches are louder than sedans, but i have an 07 rabbit and it is actually more quiet than my 06 civic ex was. And the ride is superb. And this is coming from a not-so-much-anymore honda die hard fan.
    Personally i don't think they were 'manipulated'. I agree though that car and driver does have some issues keeping up with what their various reviewers say about certain cars(i.e. going on about how great the civc si's chassis is, and amazingly unflappable in the "gti. vs. si" column but then saying that it was the 'sloppiest' in the lightning lap when compared to the cobalt ss! :confuse: ), but uber sportiness isn't the point in a comparison like this; where as some cars like the elantra are more comfort oriented, and the mazda more sport and fun oritented, the rabbit is a nice blend of both without trying to hard. To me that makes a car more fun to drive because it's personality is versatile. I've driven both and while i feel the mazda has the edge in the handling department(not by a whole lot either) the engine in the rabbit feels a lot more torquey, if not a little bit of a let down at higher rpms. Plus it felt (to me) more solid on the road and quieter. And the interior is unmatched.
    The rabbit has alloys too and it comes in a four door version and is pretty much the same price equally equipped. And the four door gets a moon roof as well so i guess it comes down to preference. Some people may want a radio that lights up when you turn the volume knob (3) and some may want heated seats.(rabbit) it all comes down to preference.
    However, C/D could have grabbed a base Jetta for about $17k, even added alloys and still stay under their self-imposed $18k spending limit. Perhaps VW could not make such a low-priced Jetta available for testing?
    they probably dont feel that it competes in this segment. A decked out gli jetta competes against the likes of a tsx so even in base guise its obvious volkswagen guns for bigger boats with the jetta.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    $19,0 with the alloys and the moonroof for the Rabbit, around $17,0 for the Mazda3. $2K difference, Yes, I am well aware that the Rabbit can be had with alloys and a moonroof. If you have no use for heated seats, traction control and that sort of thing, the Mazda represents the bargain of the two. Sure those extra things on the Rabbit are nice, and some folks will want them, but for the rest the Mazda can be had cheaper.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Where did you find that? I just priced a mazda i touring which is the lowest trim they have that comes equipped with 16 inch alloys slapped a 4 speed auto (the rabbit has a 6 speed) and added a mooonroof/six disc cd and abs and the total was 18935 after destination. And thats for the sedan. If you really want to compare apples to apples the base s hatch STARTS at 18200 and after adding a fives speed auto and the moon roof package my grand total was 20015.00. A far cry from making the 3 a 'bargain'. Even the sedan version is not that much cheaper.
    the msrp for my 07 rabbit 4dr hatch with auto,sunroof,and rear airbags was 20,400.00.i got it for 19,500.00...
    i think that this was a pretty good deal considering the fact that most new rabbit owners are paying at or near full msrp.i also got a pretty good trade-in value for my 06 honda civic which i expected i would cause honda's tend to hold their value pretty well.and by the way,i don't miss my civic at all the rabbit far exceeds the civic in all categories.performence,handleing,interior materials,and overall build quality.
    iam a first time vw owner haveing just recently purchased a 07 4dr rabbit.i wanted to know how well the resale value's are with the rabbit and if they hold their value well.probably not as good as my 06 honda civic that i traded in for the rabbit.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I have an old Kiplinger magazine from 2000 that has a table of information on all the vehicles on the market at that time. One item in the table is resale value at 2 years and 4 years. For the Golf they give 59% and 46%, for the Civic they give 56% and 45%.

I don't know how accurate their figures are, or if they would have different numbers today, but those numbers actually indicate a slightly better resale value for the VW.
    not judging by any acutal numbers i have seen for either cars, but you could check kelly blue book and get an estimate. Hondas are wonderful as far as resale value goes, proabably the best and that is no exaggeration. But volkswagens are not to shabby either, not horrible but just not amazing. If the current generation rabbit sells well, ends up being more reliable than the previous generation and more or less problem free, that should help it's resale value. It may not be exactly as good as the civics, but still ok.
  • Just purchased new 07 Rabbit today, in silver. 2 door version. Got it for 18,750, final price. Apparently I underpaid ~1g, yay me. Even got the man to throw in the rabbit floor mats.

Has the largest displacement engine under 20k except for the Se-R and Spec V Sentra (which it ties with) at 2.5 IIRC. Power delivery kinda sluggish under 2500 rpm, once there though, delivers smiles. Haven't REALLY driven it yet though.

Can't say much about reliability yet.

Very happy with purchase. Can't wait till the 17" Racing Harts C2s and H&R cup kit come in.
    did you get many options on it? My 2 door has the tiptronic automatic tranny and the 16 alloy/wheel package and it stickered for 17500. Yours sounds a bit high...
    i have a 07 rabbit 4dr that i recently purchased a few weeks ago.i can't seem to find the transmision fluid dipstick under the hood.i know the car is new,but i would like to know where it is located for future reference.
    There is no automatic transmission fluid dipstick. It is a sealed system with a synthetic "lifetime" fluid.

There also is no power steering fluid, just in case you were going to look for that next :) .
  • RE: "One item in the table is resale value at 2 years and 4 years. For the Golf they give 59% and 46%, for the Civic they give 56% and 45%."

This might be a bit misleading, if they are including TDIs in the Golf mix. TDIs have a much better resale value than the gas-engine models. Just comparing Golfs, the TDI option was about $1000 more, but after a few years the used ones were selling for $3000 more or higher than the gas-engine models.
    They have separate entry for each trim level. The figures were for the Golf GLS, which was the only trim level that they listed. For Jetta they had TDIs listed, but predicted depreciation was not any different than for the gas models.

This is very old data, from 2000. Reality did not match the predictions.

It says the data was provided by "automotive lease guide". Also I did not notice before that it says the percentages are based on suggested retail price. Probably would not have posted this info had I caught that before. The table has a "target price" listed...representing what you would expect to actually pay, I had been assuming the figures were based off of that.

Edmunds predicted depreciation data is probably better since they base it off of their TMV.
    most vw's tend to hold their value pretty well with the jetta and passats ranking up there pretty well.however,i don't think that their resale values are as good as honda's or toyota's.toyota's and honda's are pretty much all alone by themselves at the top of the resale value heap.
  • Hello rabbit owners with manual transmission. What is the engine's revs at 80 mph? I drove auto and it's just over 2000 rpm. and a car is pretty quiet at this speed.
  • I love it! It is a bit noisy, so I want to try some noise deading treatment on the wheel wells. I hope to avoid taking off the wheels- I hear that there is a spray can built to get around that. I would like to find something less toxic than asphalt based undercoat though. I suppose one could stuff more insulation in the doors? and coat the engine comparftment. there is some insualtion in there, and in the back wheel wells. Any suggestions? There IS too much road noise. Especially tire noise from the BIG wheel wells. The front tires only have plastic- the rear has some coating or fiber. The stereo is just fair- can one just upgrade speakers? The bass is muddy, not nuts about the other ranges either. Wohat do you all thing about mud flaps? Makes the most sense in the front, but may look better in sets of four??? And what about paint protectant? I want to protect the beige seats, but will not use chemicals. Perhaps lambswool covers? But the seats ARE heated too.

Again, its a great car for the money, having superior materials (nontoxic interior- see www.ecocenter.org for ratings on this), fit, finish, handling, stability, ride, design egronomics. More MPGs would be nice. Its sage green with beige/brn/black.
    I got rubber mats. The salesman did not think that cloth mats are standard equipment on the 4 door 06, but they are.
    Its in the little green publicty book for the 06 Rabbit.
  • I was drving up to 83 mph- oops, over the speed limit.
    I saw the rpm go above 3000, easily. It (the manual trans) starts to get rather noisy at about 70 mph- the automatic tranny engine's torque converter gets the rpms down in higest gear, which makes for more quiet, but power is sacrificed, in a sense, by doing that.
This discussion has been closed.