Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Car Shows and Events

Comments

• tvaguetvague Posts: 11
    This is going to be a really fun show! :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    Tents down, many cars damaged! :cry:

Read all about it:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/scottsdale-auction-damage/

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,338
    El Nino is a bratty child ;)
    Russo and Steele is now saying that the damage wasn't as bad as people think, but of course they have a dog in this fight and might be trying to salvage a really bad situation.

I wouldn't store my $120K classic car in a tent, no way, no how.

I wouldn't let my convertible sit in such an environment for a long period with the top down either, especially if it was raining outside.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,152
    El Nino is a bratty child

What do you suggest we do, Jim? Give him a spanking?! :P
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,208
    Anybody planning on attending the Spring Carlisle meet this coming weekend?
  • luanneluanne Posts: 1
    The general public is invited to join Chip Foose and many highly coveted vehicles at the 2nd annual SEMA Show ‘N Shine Car Show, taking place at the Pasadena Convention Center (300 E. Green St, Pasadena, CA, 91101) on Sat., July 24, 2010, 10 am-4 pm. With Foose as grand marshal, the event gives car lovers a chance to see vehicles from his personal collection along with those of other top designers and builders. Held in conjunction with the SEMA CARES Pinewood Drag Races, proceeds will benefit children’s charities Childhelp and Victory Junction. Admission tickets available onsite only: $5/adult, kids 12 and under are free. Vehicle entry is $75 and includes collector-edition T-Shirt, with awards in various categories. Details: www.sema.org/shownshine; or Mike Clark at 702/450-7662, ext. 108.
    This Friday-Sunday (6/25-6/27). Anybody in the more-or-less local area planning on going? Lemko's going on Saturday, and taking his '89 Brougham. And as soon as the coffee kicks in, I'll finish packing my '67 Catailna, and will head on up there for the whole weekend.
    We had a very scary storm here yesterday afternoon. Fortunately, most of it was to the southwest of me. South and West Philly and Delaware County got hit the worst. How's the weather going to be tomorrow? I already have the DTS ready as a backup.
    edited July 2010
    Informal car show on the eastside of Seattle this Sunday...in an affluent area, so there are some interesting vehicles seen in old shows. I've thought about taking the old beast, but I don't know if I want to spend a whole Sunday there...or if its patinated condition will be outclassed by every other entrant.

I think the big local Mustang show euphonium attends is coming up soon too.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,347
    I would encourage you to enter because there is a lot of pleasure and satisfaction in not only seeing other cars, but talking to their owners as well.

You're right about the Grand National Mustang Show, Bellevue College, the following weekend, 17th & 18th. I will attend the Participants Choice Show on Sunday and look forward to visiting with a couple of old friends & other entrants.

If I get into the wood - fine, but don't expect to this year as the competition at the Grand National is extreme. Hope to see you there. :)
    Yeah, I've been thinking I will...I know there will be some other MB there, hopefully some other unrestored cars too. My car isn't that bad for a nearly 50 year old beast with 250K miles on it...it's just not the pristine pink of perfection usually seen at a show. More and more people are respecting preservation...or so, they should.

Hopefully the weather will hold for your show, I remember last year it was pretty warm. I plan on stopping by sometime on the Sunday of the event.
    Anybody planning on going to the Carlisle Chrysler show this weekend July 9 thru 11?
    I'm heading up tomorrow morning, Lemko. And no, I'm not putting the 5th Ave in the burnout contest. :P
    edited July 2010
    Stopped by the Mustang show today...didn't notice Euphonium (IIRC his car is a blue 66 GT), but I wasn't there til around 3, so maybe he left as I know its a drive.

Saw every Mustang one could imagine of course, including what I think was the first GT350, a 64 Pace car, 3x 79 Pace Cars, old police cars, ASC McLaren versions of the Capri and Mustang, every Shelby and Saleen variant imaginable, a pristine loaded white on white Mustang II Ghia...a good show for people who like Stangs. Some cool non Mustang cars too...a first gen Cougar XR7 with a factory sunroof stays in my head, along with an extremely cool fully documented black on black 63 Galaxie convertible 427/4 speed.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,337
    I really like the first generation Cougar. In addition to the exterior styling, the dashboard was nice too. If only Mercury had continued to design such beautiful cars it wouldn't be closing shop today.
    I was interested in the sunroof, a very rare option on those cars...but the car itself was cool too, sequential turn signals almost guarantee something interesting.
    The 66 Ivy Green Metallic GT was there until 4 o'clock because it was awarded First Place in it's class in the closing ceremony.

We were parked next to a Poppy Red Coupe, it took 2nd in the A Class.

There were 25 64.5 to 66 Coupes entered yesterday.

Did you take in the Resto mods? There were some beauty's there like "Burpule" a stunning 66 GT Coupe with very tasteful mods.

The Long Distance award went to a couple from NC!! Well, it was a Grand National Show that included many from BC & Alberta too.

This is over a day later & my grin is starting to fade a little.
    D'oh...no wonder I didn't find you when I was looking for a blue car :shades: ...I figured I would look at the blue 66s and one would have some note about the owner being from SW WA, and it would be you. Oh well. Congrats on your award.

One thing I wonder about at that venue, among the pine trees...don't the cars get pine sap on them in the warm weather? That would drive me insane.

I did see the resto mods, yes...what I remember most were a couple Shelby "GT-E" cars which are pretty mean looking.
    pine sap can be a problem when it is hot enough. Luck had the hardtop (coupes) parked in the center of the lot without any shade trees to drip.

Next Sunday we go to Port Orchard - "Mustangs on the Waterfront" is very scenic with cool breezes blowing on shore during a sunny day. It is a smaller, but very fun show with the usual same good natured entrants to visit.

Euph-
    A little ice water takes sap off quite nicely.

And in the process, I'd be tempted to mix a little of it with something. ;)
    That's my preference---when i get obsessed with using Q-tips to clean my AC vents, I just step back and have a few cold beers and soon I really don't care anymore.

I mean, god bless 'em, 68 Chevelles are not Bugattis---they can get a little dirty without the world coming to an end.

I couldn't help but thinking when I was there that those nicely and sometimes perfectly restored cars were going to need a detail after being under those trees. Then again, I have a fixation about smooth paint - maybe everyone else doesn't share this. I run my hands on the flat parts of my car often to ensure it is clean. I'm a little OCD, I admit :shades: When I was there I was sure to find a parking area away from the trees.

Ice water...I will remember that. Maybe if I wrap ice cubes in a washcloth and give the car a good wipedown?

The Bellevue Mustang show is a good event for this area, which generally has little car show culture aside from the Kirkland Concours in September (highly recommeded). There was a Buick Nationals a few years ago...hopefully that will come back too.
    edited July 2010
    For AC vents & other small orifices, I found the vacuum brush works very quickly. The bristles are long enough and soft enough & the vacuum can suck chrome off the bumper. Using Q Tips frustrates me.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,698
    Congrats on the Mustang award - any pics to be viewed?
    Thanks for the Congrats & now I wish I knew the process of submitting pics on this website. :confuse:
    Okay...first you have to place your pix on a server (you can't upload from your computer at this time) and copy the URL. If you use photobucket, etc, make sure you have granted access to everyone (no passwords). You can also use your Carspace page if you've created one here (www.carspace.com).

Then, you go to the message reply box just like you always do, and click the "IMG" button down below here. After the first click, you paste in the URL of your photo; after the second click, you'll see "link title"---you erase that with backspacing and then add your own title BETWEEN the arrows.

If you want, you can practice with an image of a car you found on Google.

This discussion has been closed.