Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Suzuki SX4

shado4shado4 Posts: 287
Suzuki recently unveiled the SX4 at the New York auto show. A key highlight of this small sport crossover is the standard driver-selectable all wheel drive. Press release and photos can be found at Suzuki SX4.

Competition can range from the Honda Fit to the Jeep Compass/Patriot.

I think the styling is nice, though there doesn't seem to be a lot of room behind the rear seats. Could this be the next generation of "cute ute"?

Comments

• erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    I think this will be my next car. Has pretty much everything I've been looking for; awd, low weight, reasonable 4 cyl. (with decent gas mileage) and a stick shift. Hopefully I can get the premium package and ESP with the 5 speed. I'm looking forward to test driving it when it arrives.
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    One thing I noticed while looking closely at the interior pic is what seems to be the availability of automatic climate control. That's a very rare luxury for such a small vehicle, at least in the North American market.

There was no mention of a sunroof being offered. I hope Suzuki at least makes it an option.

Overall, not a bad little package. Pricing will range from $15K to $18K. A Honda Fit Sport with auto will run over $16K, and that car does not include AWD and has a much less powerful engine.
  • dstinydstiny Posts: 12
    I saw two at the NY auto show on Friday. They were concepts, but very close to the production cars. They were on the floor and you could get into them. I was very impressed with the feature to price ratio and the interior seemed high quality.

The Suzuki rep did say there would be a sunroof option.

The SX4 has heated side mirrors.

The solid rear suspension is a bit of a disappointment.

A car at this price with a 4WD lock option is amazing. Being able to also lock it into 2WD to maximize fuel consumption is a wonderful idea in this age of $3 gas.

Overall, a really cute car that would be a great city/commuter vehicle in all kinds of weather.

-Paul
    The Suzuki rep did say there would be a sunroof option.

Good! Every car I've owned has had a hole in the roof of some kind. I really appreciate it on warm spring days.

The SX4 has heated side mirrors.

Even better! Seems like Suzuki really wants to pack in the features on this crossover.

The solid rear suspension is a bit of a disappointment.

True. I wonder how well it handles?

A car at this price with a 4WD lock option is amazing. Being able to also lock it into 2WD to maximize fuel consumption is a wonderful idea in this age of $3 gas.

Good point. I like the idea of locking it into 2WD for use on dry pavement. What's even better is that the SX4 also has an auto AWD in addition to the locking AWD. So you basically get 3 variations - 2WD, AWD Auto, AWD Lock. And this is standard on every SX4!
    IRS would be nice, but at this price-point and with the extra inside space, I can live with a solid axle car.
  • mddvipmddvip Posts: 1
    Just was at the NY Auto Show. I LOVE THIS CAR! It looks great 'in person', I am 6 feet tall, I fit great, the stats (power/mpg/etc) sound like a good balance. I want one.
    Note: The 'Concept' nomenclature is misleading. Except for some minor details (wheel size, some trim) they are going to be released as is.
    I did happen to accidentally break the latch on the rear seat release, so I hope that was just a fluke. (I did tell the rep, I was a good boy).
  • Was the interior 'concept' or not. Looks like orange an brown leather. Not typically a leater fan but it looks great to me.

I would love a full sun roof like in the tC.
    My understanding is leather is not an option.

From Inside Line article.
    Inside, the SX4 offers a clean but unremarkable two-tone design, average materials quality and a decent amount of room for four adults. The car on display at the show had leather upholstery, but we were told only cloth seating would be available on production models.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=110026
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Posts: 116
    Hrm. I had high hope for the SX-4, and it still looks like a good car, but I think I'd hold out for the '08 Impreza.

I was hoping the 2.0l engine and light weight (200-300lbs lighter than the Impreza) would help fuel economy significantly, but 24/29 (manual) and 24/30 (auto) are dangerously close to the current Impreza 2.5i's 22/29 and 23/30. Just imagine if Subaru introduced a direct-injection engine with the next-gen Impreza. It might actually get better fuel economy than the smaller, lighter Suzuki.

The torsion beam doesn't help things either.

I'll still check them out when they hit dealers, but at this rate the SX4 will have negligible advantages over its primary AWD competition: only slightly better fuel economy and slightly better price. Not that it will be a bad car. Honestly, there are few bad cars left nowadays :shades:

Mike
    I sure hope the Impreza looks better then the current one! Subaru got the 05 Legacy right but the snout noise Tribeca is UGLY. Here's to the hope that Subaru goes for a clean look.

It will be an interesting comparison, especially considering price.
  • cambocambo Posts: 10
    Found this site with lots of pictures and info on the SX4. Most of the specs seem geared for the European market like the diesel engine and 6speed manual.

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/sx4/index.html

I like the look of the car and with the AWD it should be a great alternative to a Subaru.
  • hal9000hal9000 Posts: 7
    Just got back from the Auto show and had a chance to see it up close. This thing looks really nice in person. The two concepts looked ready for production. One was a nice sea-foam green with a lowered suspension and larger(18" I think)wheels. With the SX lowered and sitting on larger wheels the car looks more substantial(less "cute") because the fender flares are emphasized. The SX WRC car was on display and looked awesome. If some of the WRC parts become available this car could have a pretty nice following.
  • Found this site today.

http://www.suzukisx4.com/

Annoying voice over, but lots of info.
    Nice find. Learning a little more about this new Suzuki every day.

And yes, the voice over is annoying. :P

I'd like to see more than just still photos, though. I'm pretty sure Edmunds has a link to a video of the SX4 during the New York auto show unveiling.

Does this work? I can't seem to get past the "Buffering" message.

SX4 Video
    Video has worked for me, but it can be slow.
    Finally got to see the video at work (shhh...don't tell the boss). Apparently my 8 year old home computer is, ummm, lacking in certain areas, like being able to play Inside Line videos.

Anyway, does anyone else think the tires are a bit too narrow for this car? Seeing the SX4 in motion from certain angles makes it seem as if the tread width could use a couple extra inches. It's kind of hard to actually judge the size of the SX4 based on pictures alone.
    205/60 16 (16 x 6.5 alloy) look good to me, especially with curb weight of 2900 lbs.
    Just received an email from Suzuki customer service saying the SX4 will not have the option of a factory-installed sunroof. :mad:

Of course, they added the obligatory disclaimer about specifications subject to change without notice, blah, blah, blah.

An available sunroof would have gone a long way to making this car a slam dunk in my mind. Too bad. :cry:
    That is kind of a bummer. Not a deal killer for me. I can live without a sunroof. That's why I have my Miata. :-)
  • turboshadowturboshadow Posts: 349
    I've been looking forward to this car, but the interior photos lead to disappointment. It appears that the seats don't fold flat unless you flip them forward, losing load length.

I'm disappointed. Tell me I'm missing something....

Turboshadow