Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about Volvo's future?

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Well they can borrow it from China, Why not our country does !!!!! ;) :P

-Rocky
  • cu503cu503 Posts: 35
    Hi, I have seen you are a Volvo Guru and wanted to hear your thoughts. I have a 2000 S8o, 115K miles, NO PROBLEMS! Guess I am one of the few!. I am looking at the new S80, 6 cylinder and see VERY little discussion on it. I see write ups where it not equal to an BMW 5 series, or a A6, but it looks like a nice car. Whats the scuttlebut? any bad news on this car ? (like my current one!), I see lower and lower leases in the papers, and I am assuming very slow sales, any huge discounts out there on these? did all the bad PR on Gen 1 S80 screw up potential sales on Gen 2?
    thanks, Dave
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The new S80 is a very very nice car.
    It won't go around a race track as well as a 5 Series,but it isn't anywhere as expensive either.
    It is more than capable against the A6 however.
    It is quiter,more comfortable and it handles better than your 1st gen car.
    Plus, we haven't had any come back with issues.

As for sales, Volvo actually had a very modest sales goal for the S80,unlike the 1st generation car.
    The Premium sedan segment has seen its sales decline over the last couple of years,even BMW is feeling the pinch in that segment.
    Where Volvo went wrong at launch was not providing a subvented lease for the car.
    Every car in the segment has a subsidised lease.
    So, Volvo was late for that,but since we came out with the lease program,sales have been brisk.
    Most retailers are running short of inventory,and the 08's are more than 30 days out in most cases.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    "Around the end of the decade, all Volvos will share either Ford's CD-EU platform or the compact C1 platform used now by the Ford Focus and the Mazda 3."

IL Exclusive: Volvo's Future

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I think it needs to be pointed out that the platforms are re-worked for Volvo's use.
    High stength steels and asdditional bracing is added for Volvo.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,283
    but shouldn't that be "if volvo is still part of ford"?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I seriously doubt that Ford would sell 100% of Volvo.
    They would continue to share platforms,even with the new entity.
    Remember, the sharing isn't all 1 way.
    Ford uses the Volvo 5 cyl engines in the Euro Focus,and the Roll Stability systems in their SUV's.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,283
    oh, i know.
    volvo is very integral in Ford. extracting them will be a huge mess.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• What do you know about the upcoming XC60? Any idea of the price range this will fall into?How big or small is this wagon?
    The show car looks awesome....if they don't mess up the exterior looks when they make this.Will it be out late 08 or??
    Production version is supposed to be unveiled at the Detroit auto show.
    Power will come from the 3.2l I6, maybe the Turbo 6 eventually.
    Should be about the size of the X3, LR2 crossovers.
    Price in the $30's.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Volvo is getting closer to being a Chinese brand...

Ford CEO Mulally says talks on Volvo are progressing

UPDATED: Sept. 25 11:21 CET

Ford Motor Co.'s plans for the sale of Volvo are progressing, CEO Alan Mulally said on Friday.

Ford has not said who it is talking with about Volvo but China's Geely Automotive has said its parent company wants to buy the Swedish brand.

Mulally was speaking in Chongqing, China, at a ground-breaking ceremony for a new 150,000-unit factory that will boost Ford's production capacity in the country to 600,000 by 2012.

.......The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that Ford is analyzing a recent Geely bid to acquire 100 percent of Volvo for about $2.5 billion, citing people familiar with the matter.

The newspaper said Geely has emerged as the leading contender to acquire Volvo from Ford.

Ford said in December 2008 it was considering selling its money-losing Volvo unit as part of a strategic review of the business as it continues efforts to turnaround its own fortunes.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090925/ANE02/309259991/1257- - &AssignSessionID=273363776571698

Will it lose its remaining luster once it is Geely Volvo? Or will the Chinese really know how to run a "Swedish" car company?

BTW, that new Chongqing plant will be building Focuses for export......the Chinese are coming! I imagine it won't be TOO long before Volvos are being built in China too, for export worldwide......

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,439
    if they get bought by Geely. Unless they decide to leave them independant, and just use the engineering talent (and like Ford, take the existing platforms to underpin their own models).

ALthough it is hard to imagine it will be worse than what GM did to SAAB!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• Ugh, I hope not. That's why they'll have to pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands from this one (1970 144S 4-speed):

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • And, speaking of SAAB - this one too (1985 SAAB 900 5-speed), both examples of my "real" Swedish iron:

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,345
    Love the 144. I had a 142 that was a year older than yours.

I have a terrible feeling for Volvo's future if the Chinese are going to run the show. i would love for them to prove me wring.
    I love that car. I learned to drive on my folks '69 144S 4 speed. Same color as yours, without the wheels of course!

Still miss that car, but my sister hated it. I used to have to go out and take the parking brake off for her and my mother after me or my father cranked it on!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• Thanks. It's been on the road, as has the '85 SAAB, since purchase. The paint (Medium Blue) on the 144S is original. It's too bad I don't have a shot (I'll have to take one later) of the front, as it has driving lights and an IPD air dam (installed way back in 1973).

In fact, the car is extensively prepared with IPD parts including cam, ported and polished head, tubular header, electronic ignition, etc, as well as a larger front sway bar, rear sway bar, IPD's rally springs, Bilstein shocks, Volvo's once optional ATS aluminum wheels, and Volvo's old Competition Department's gauge cluster (see photo), and Nardi leather-covered steering wheel. I changed out the original twin Stromberg 175CDSE carbs in 1972, and switched over to twin SU HS6 carbs. Tried Weber 45DCOE's side drafts, but they were simply too much carburation for the engine.

The 144S is built like a tank, and yet reasonably sporty. Most of the 140-series cars in my area (central Illinois) are long gone due to poor maintenance and rust. It's a survivor, much like me (Age 62) - and, still a Volvo enthusiast!

Way more guages than ours had!

Brings back memories. I can even see the choke hiding behind the LS of the wheel.

ANd it looks like you have air. One more thing we did not have.

Talk about simple. No PS, PB or air.

I do recall the carns being a recurring problem though. I think they had to be adjusted often. That, and the mutliple mufflers rusting out.

My old 142 was a victim of rust and some mechanical issues that no doubt came from less than stellar maintenance of the previous owner. It was a dark blue.

Nice manual choke but nothing of the neat gagues you've got. Had a horizontal speedometer and was very slow. Loved it anyway.
    I'm biting my tongue about the '74's I had experience with.

Carry on. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Oh, come on!

A friend had a 73. I learned from that one that you can replace a clutch cable in a parking lot if you really have a mind to.
    Both '74's stranded me with bad rubber bellows (the first one was the worst, and I wasn't too unhappy that it got wrecked. I didn't have any say in the replacement).

The second one lost a tooth on the flywheel but I could crawl underneath with a screwdriver and move it enough to engage the starter. Then the camshaft gave way and it completely gave up the ghost.

Then there was the late 70's wagon that wouldn't crank about this time of the year up in Alaska after a snow shortened canoe trip. I was new to the state, new to hypothermia, and wound up nursing a thermos of hot Tang lying in a damp sleeping bag under a canoe in some nasty weather while the owner worked an hour getting it cranked so we could run shuttle.

20 years later, a shuttle driver just about totaled that guy's brother's Volvo wagon when he went boating with us here in Idaho. The shuttle company didn't even leave a note at the take-out and tried to denied responsibility. Not Volvo's fault, but it made me wonder....

On the other hand, there was an '84 240 that I borrowed occasionally from a good friend that was a tank. When she died, she left a list of six friends who were standing in line to buy it and the order in which they had first requested it. (It was a good car, but I wasn't on the list - I think I jinx them).

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,349
    Fezo, I had a '69 142S as well. Loved that car, although it was a tank. It didn't feel slow to me, largely because my dad had a '68 144S automatic. Slow doesn't begin to describe that car. The MB 190D my mother's cousin owned might have been slower, but I never drove that one so I'm not sure.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

Gee, when I was a kid they had this bike contest. One of the events was to see who could go the slowest while still staying upright.

I would imagine a race between that 144 and 190D would be like that.

You know doubt remember the shift on the ol' 142 seemed as long as a baseball bat!
  • A stock 142/144 was slow. But, the long shifter had a great feel, as it was direct into the gearbox, instead of using rails or any linkage.

The 140-series can be made to be great runners, and handlers, but it does take some work. I can certainly attest to that given I'm still tweaking mine after nearly 40 years of ownership. IPD successfully raced 142's in the '70s and '80's in the SCCA series. And, thanks to them, parts are still available.

The biggest change on my 144S that had a substantial impact on acceleration, other than the engine block and head work, including cam change and tuned exhaust headers, was a lightened flywheel. The B20B uses a very heavy flywheel. By safely removing excess material from the OEM steel flywheel, or going to an alloy version, the car is transformed from a slug off the line to one that's quite impressive.

I know I'm "off topic" on this thread, but one of my friend's in the local Volvo club replaced the B20B in a 142S with Ford 289 V8. The swap was done very professionally, and it was a very nice car to drive. No problem with power with that engine...

Back to regular programming, and "Volvo's Future"... I hope it doesn't include the Chinese.
    Goldman Sachs’ PE fund is buying a 15 percent stake in Geely Auto. But the money isn't near enough to buy Volvo. (Zikkir)

Geely is being a bit coy about what they are going to do with Goldman's 334 million.

"Jia Xinguang, Auto Analyst said "The money raised is limited, it's not enough for bidding Volvo at all. I think it's just for short-term financing."

Analysts also point to improving performance in Ford Motor and that it's not in such desperate need for money. And that Geely may have missed the best chance for a bargain buy." (CCTV)

It doesn't sound like the Saab deal is going very smoothly either.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,687
    Maybe that money can fund some new copycars. A fakey C30 might be amusing :shades:
    Just thought of this - how's your 144 on gas? The reason I ask is my 142 not only required premium but it was very finicky about which brand you used. Ran well on Exxon, Shell, Mobil, Amoco and Texaco. Hated Gulf and a couple of other brands and would let you know in no uncertain terms until you burned through at least half a tank and sometimes even had to do the old Sunoco ultra to make up for things.
  • Originally with the Strombergs, fuel mileage in town was pretty terrible - low' teens - if you can believe it!. But the switch to SUs made a big difference for in town use. Highway mileage is in the mid-20s. Others running the downdraft Weber DGV get slightly better fuel mileage.

Of course, now it's set up to run on unleaded regular - lowered compression ratio and hardened valve seats. Still gets mid-20s on the road, but high teens in town. Not very good, but acceptable...
    "There are few reported details about a proposal from Dingman's Crown consortium to acquire Volvo, but the deal likely may vary significantly from that proposed by Geely, which, among other facets, is said to include a provision that Ford retain responsibility for certain pension liabilities and that Ford retain a share of Volvo."

Consortium Led by Former Ford Execs Makes Play for Volvo (AutoObserver)