Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• lulu9lulu9 Posts: 154
    May I clarify? Did you hit the deer? Did you drive through the deer--as in into it--or through--as in--past it? Nevertheless, that must have been terrifying.

I-95 in Fairfield County is the most sadistic stretch of highway. I can't tell you how many times I popped on just to go a few exits--only to sit in traffic due to construction or an accident. It's maddening.

The Merritt Parkway--at its best--is a pretty drive. As you experienced first-hand, deer is a major problem. The other major problem is idiots who can't get with the program in terms of getting on and getting off.
    Wait a second! Did I read this correctly or is that a typo?? Are you really 6'6"? How the heck do you fit into the Prelude? Can the seat go that far back? What about head room? Now that's amazing.

My male "friend" of many years (ex-beau...way long story) drove my Prelude back for me from Long Island while I followed. He's 6', and he barely had enough headroom--or so it seemed to me. He had to put the seat way back, and it seemed like a tight fit. He's a Mercedes/BMW/Audi man all the way yet has nothing but accolades for certain Hondas. After his so-called test drive back from Long Island, he can't say enough positive things about my/our Prelude. He thinks it's an awesome piece of automobile engineering and loves the car. He had no idea what I was buying because I didn't want his (very) strong opinions on cars to sway me--you car boys know how you are. :P So he didn't see it until we picked it up. One of the nice things about flying solo is that you can do what you want without checking in with anyone! :)
  • Yes I'm 6'6"! I guess my height is more from my legs than my torso. Anyway, in ALL of my honda's my legs come to the bottom of the steering wheel. People laugh at me when they get in and see that. I've been doing it for so long I guess I'm just used to it. I can't heel and toe because of it, but I have my own little rendition of it ;)
    Of course my seat is all the way back and my head is just BARELY shy of touching the ceiling. The only time I get uncomfortable is on long trips where the console restricts my right leg. Other than that, I'm pretty good. Here is a link to me standing by my beauty. link title
    Have you ever wondered about the demographics that have led Honda in its current boring direction? I have. I think a lot of it has to do with designing cars that appeal to women--not men. (You know that any woman who reads this will come down on me!) When I look at my female friends and the cars they have selected over the years, it had everything to do with (perceived) reliability, comfort, and safety. And these are women without children, women who can buy anything their budget allows. So...this isn't even taking into consideration women WITH children who want family-friendly cars. Out of all my female friends, I have only one who shares my taste in cars--and she's a rarity. Plus, the current demographics in general is aging. Also, Americans are, by and large (pardon the pun), fat. So they must take into consideration the fact that Americans are wider than they once were.

One of my close friends bought a Rav-4 last year, after shopping around and test driving all the cars in her price range. She kept coming back to the Rav-4. She absolutely loves that car. Loves it! To me, anytime I ride with her, I feel like we're going to tip over. Yet, she feels safe, loves being high up (???), and can haul her stuff around. And she has expressed zero interest in my Prelude...the whole concept completely escapes her. She's not yet said to me, "Let's take your car." What does that tell me?

The TL is a very nice car for a sedan in that price range.

The RSX Type S was one of the cars that made it to my "short list" of top five. But then the Prelude kept coming back to haunt me, and I realized that I absolutely had to get a Prelude before it was too late.
  • The bottom line is Americans are LAZY. We don't want to do anything for ourselves now. We don't want to shift, we don't want to parallel park anymore (LEXUS), don't want to reach over and turn the radio station or sound. For the majority of Americans cars are appliances that get us from point A to point B. That's it. There aren't many of us "car types" left.
    Timothy: You are one tall dude! :) Wow!

I am astounded that you are able to fit yourself into the cockpit of our car--and drive comfortably (except on long trips). Jeez...I really can't get over this...I'm amazed.

You must be so accustomed to being contorted/restricted to some degree that you don't even notice or feel it anymore. It must be a sight to see!
    P.S. Kudos to your black beauty!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,109
    WOW! You're a big dude timothy! I'm 5'10" and fit snugly into the Prelude. I need to recline the seat back a few degrees (lean back, lean back)so my head doesn't hit the roof.

Lulu: No I did not hit the deer. I actually drove between them. If the Prelude was and inch or 2 bigger on either side, I might not have been so lucky.

So I smelled buring oil on my way to work this morning. I parked the car in the garage. At lunch I came out to check my oil. I pull the dipstick out and there is maybe 1/4" of oil on it. YIKES! So I call my dealer and he tells me to add a quart and see what happens. He says with the mileage on my car (over 79K) it is normal for a high revving engine to burn about a quart every few thousand miles. I tell him I need an oil change anyway and ask when he can accomodate me. He puts me on hold and tells me to bring the car in tonight! He's got a loaner can that wasn't signed out! So I bring the car in and he smells the oil... We'll see what's going on tomorrow.

I got a Pilot as a Loaner car. It is HUGE! It still has some Honda-esq qualities. Pretty decent steering, not like my Dad's Sport Package equipped X5, but surprising. It doesn't feeel like you're driving such a mammoth beast. All controls are typical Honda...intuitive. It even has the fuel management system that shuts down 3 cylinders to save gas while you're cruising.

I sat in an S2000 at the dealership. That is a real car! That is how cars should be made ;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• to folding myself into small cars for years :P I actually like the small cabins, it makes me feel one with the car and closer to the road. I love that road feel!
    Like I mentioned before, I sat in a S2000 at the dealership once and liked it a lot, but not enough leg room.
    One car that had plenty of room for me was the Fit. Lots of headroom, it's a pretty spacious car. That car would be good for commuting to work sometimes. Notice I said sometimes, I would still need to romp on the Prelude as well.
    Ok, so the burning smell from my car wasn't oil (well, it was at one stage of its life), it was a plastic bag stuck to my exhaust that was burning....YUK! I had the oil changed. My service advisor told me that it is normal for a car with the miles I have burn almost a full quart of oil every 1000 miles! YIKES! I'll have to keep a close watch on things!

Why Id NEVER buy that Pilot. It has a shifter on the COLUMN! I HATE THAT!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    Well that's good news. Plastic bag eh, that's a relief on your part I bet. I have heard that the H22A does burn oil, but I didn't think it was that much.
    Yeah I hate automatics period, but I didn't think the Pilot would have one of the column. That is weird nowadays for the most part.
    A plastic bag stuck to your exhaust--as in garbage?? :confuse: Oh brother! Well, that is great news--that it's nothing mechanical. If it's not deer in CT getting stuck to your car, it's trash in NYC...pick your poison! It's fortuitous that the burning smell got your attention to check your oil and have your car brought in ASAP. Jeez...that's a lot of oil to burn! Can you/will you consider doing your own oil changes?

Why I'd never buy a Pilot: It's big! It's a car that would drive me--I wouldn't drive it.
    First, I read that 6'6" Timothy can actually FIT into Honda's FIT.

Then, he opines that cars have become appliances to us lazy-[non-permissible content removed] Americans. What a riot!

To quote: "The bottom line is Americans are LAZY. We don't want to do anything for ourselves now. We don't want to shift, we don't want to parallel park anymore (LEXUS), don't want to reach over and turn the radio station or sound. For the majority of Americans cars are appliances that get us from point A to point B. That's it. There aren't many of us 'car types' left."

OMG...that is so true, and so pathetically funny.

Then I read that NYC gets a Pilot (of all cars) loaner car :P after having brought in his prelude for a burning smell caused by a piece of garbage (go figure). I'm actually laughing as I type this. This cracks me up!
    Hmmm. Shifter on the column? That's surprising. Do you think that's a deliberate attempt to be retro? That's very 50's/60's.
    NO, it is very AMERICAN. I turned the stupid wipers on before I shifted out of park.

It is great to have the Prelude back!

Lulu9: I'd like to thank-you for injecting some life into this Prelude board here. Keep posting!

--6'6" Timothy fitting into his Prelude
    --Nyccarguy driving between not one but two deer on the Merritt Parkway!
    --Maintaining ego while driving Honda Pilot loaner car
    --Surviving sudden blizzard conditions on Merritt Parkway at 75 mph while snowshoeing on Potenza RE92's
    --Avoiding inferno while NYC trash takes up residence in Nyccarguy's exhaust
    --Negotiating GARGANTUAN potholes in which car can disapper (new to the list--as of 3/2)

Have a great weekend guys! :)

Had fun this week!
  • Hello everyone. I have been reading posts here for years
    and have been very impressed with the candor, excitement
    and wealth of information.

I have a Silver 1992 Prelude Si purchased near new
    (bought it as a 3k mile demo car in early 93).

It currently has 148k miles and
    these 14 years of ownership have been very pleasurable.
    The car is still very fun to drive and I still get
    compliments on the styling.
    I think the seats rival anything I see today.
    I am 6'4" and fit in quite comfortably.

At this time, I need new struts.
    I know its long past overdue :-(
    This is the third/FUN car for my wife and I.
    My question to the group is what shocks would you recommend?
    I have scoured the net for reviews.
    The major contenders are: KYB, Koni, Tokico

I am leaning towards KYB due to reapeated findings of
    questionable reliability of Tokicos.

Does anybody have or know of unusual experiences with
    aftermarket struts?
    I don't want to lower the car at all. As we all know, the Prelude handles soo well.
    I have Mille Miglia 16" wheels and stock springs.

Thanks for any information.
    Yes it's all a laugh isn't it? All very true but sad :mad: I second NYC on your adding your viewpoints from a woman's side of things. It is very refreshing. We all enjoy your posts.
    You mentioned earlier how someone asked about your Prelude. I still get that sometimes myself. They think it's newer than an 01. A lot of Honda's cars from time to time seem to fly under the radar. Like the del sol. I've seen a rash of those cars appearing on the roads around here lately. Just one of those things I notice.
    As mentioned, I think our cars' styling is very clean in that its lines are contemporary (forward thinking) yet classic. I mean classic from the standpoint of "good design" because "good design" never goes out of style--never appears or feels "dated."

As such, there is no denying that our car has "presence." That's why our cars continue to get compliments 10 years after its last redesign! I just recall the harsh criticism that the Prelude received from the car world after its last redesign--that it was boring, dated, too conservative, etc. And I totally disagreed.

Brad Pitt and Halle Berry in their prime are never going to look "dated." A hundred years from now, no one will look at their photos and say, "Oh, but nowadays they wouldn't make the cut for attractiveness." Good design (form) actually reminds us of what attractive is! No one in the fashion industry would look at Coco Chanel's dresses from way back when and say, "Oh, look at those awful dresses. Look how dated and hideous those designs are compared to what we have available today. Actually, quite the opposite. Her designs are still considered timeless, masterful pieces.

Anyhow, here's to great design!
    I totally agree with our car as a "classic design", timeless. Actually the NSX is an automobile that fits that same criteria . That car came out in 91 and it STILL turns heads to this day.