Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    Oh yes I'm pretty sure Lulu wouldn't have the same outcome as me. Well wait, if he DID pull her over; it would be to ask her out :P That's just how that is.

We have a no helmet law here as well, and I can't fathom what is going on in their head! How could you get on a motorcycle and not wear a helmet. That's just common sense to me.

I know I've whined about these new cars before, thanks for just listening :) P.S. I've heard about that i-drive, HORRIBLE LOL.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,129
    Page 37 of July 2007's AUTOMOBILE has a half page article devoted to some new entry level BMWs coming out (in ther USA) in the near future. Coupe & Convertible versions of its Euro only 1 series, an M1 powered by the E46 M3's 333hp high revving Inline 6, and a "no frills, lightweight roadster (Z1) that would be tauter, noisier, and faster than a Z4 powered exclusively by 4cyl engines. Manual soft top, manual steering."

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Do I see one of these in your garage soon? It seems like they are bringing over a nice selection of models. I can't wait to see them in person.
    Do I see one of these in your garage soon?

Soon, I don't know about. But definitely in the future. Like I've said before, I've owned my Prelude for 5 years and plan to keep driving it daily for another 5 years (barring any major mechanical problems).

Both of those cars would be sweet! It would also be really great if I could find a beautiful example of one of my favorite cars out now like an '07 Boxster (maybe a Boxster S...YUM) or my long love, an E46 M3. Watching AJ Soprano tear off in a gorgeous black M3 towards the end of last night's series finale of THE SOPRANOS got me thinking ;)

So I dropped my Prelude off at the body shop today. Hopefully it will be good as new come Thursday when I pick it up. I told the guy that I'm fanatical about body work and consider it an art form. I told him if something isn't going to look PERFECT, then to let me know so it can be redone. I've got my fingers crossed! I'll be rolling in an '06 Nissan Sentra for the next few days (rental car).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Well I'm sure your Prelude will be good as new, like you I REQUIRE it! Oh I lovvve the e46 M3, that is on my wish list someday as well. I even went to the BMW dealer to get a e46 M3 new car brochure just so I'll have it when (hopefully) I get that car. But that is a very long time from now. But I can dream now though :)
  • lulu9lulu9 Posts: 154
    Oops...strangely enough, I had a momentary lapse of forgetting my gender when making the comment about smiling at the officer next time I pass a cruiser. That could prove to be an interesting way to shake up my day a bit!

While it's fun to be "one of the guys" (and it is!), I need to remind myself that I'm not a guy! Funny how this doesn't play out AT ALL in reverse. It's not very often one hears a man say, "It's so fun being one of the girls." I know where your minds are going right now, but you know what I mean! :P Can you hang with the girls, talk clothes and make-up, dish gossip, and, most of all, complain about men and how they're so damn hard to figure out?
    So does this mean that BMW is going "slumming" by attracting a larger share of the sports car market? (Could this move possibly upset their existing customer base?)

What is the price range? Very interesting!
    Look forward to hearing how your car turns out when you pick it up tomorrow. Good Luck! Hopefully, you will be delighted with the work, and your car will look as good as new!

If you don't mind my asking, is there "closure" on the other chapter in this story? Is the man's BMW repaired to his satisfaction?
    NYC and Timothy: Both you boys make me smile with your genuine LOVE of cars and the descriptive words you choose to relate your affections. So much passion and romance!
    Honestly lulu, I always knew my car would be fixed. The closure happened for me when the guy came to pick up the money for fixing his bumper. People are so sue happy that you never know what is going to happen.

Yeah, guys, it is hard to fathom getting on a motorcycle without a helmet. Although I've had many wonderful riding experiences on the back of one particular Harley (another story for another day), I always wore a helmet, leather jacket, and boots. And its rider was experienced...not a guy going through a mid-life crises, who gets his first bike in his 40's/50's. Huge difference.

For such a tiny state, CT has quite an eclectic, varied culture, which includes a notable "biker community." These bikers formed a very powerful, well-funded coalition, which lobbied successfully to fight off the motorcyle helmet requirement legislation for those over 18. Basically, their argument was that it's a "nanny law" that poses a constitutional infringement on personal rights. In a nutshell, nanny laws are those laws that interfere with our personal behavior and choices.

While we feel it's foolish to get on a bike without a helmet--because the "what if" factor is too gruesome to contemplate--there are many who totally resent what is essentially another nanny law. And, to be honest, I'm not fond about "nanny laws" either because, as an adult, I don't like being told what to do. In fact, I hate it! Well, all of this makes for a very engaging, entertaining, and enlightening debate/conversation, but, as an overview, that's why CT bikers flaunt their helmetless heads. They went to war over this (so to speak), and won.

And, when you think about it, especially with today's technology, where do you draw the line with these laws? My feeling is that you draw the line when you put others--besides yourself--at risk/in harm's way. For instance (an easy example), if you want to smoke or drink yourself to death, that's your personal choice/business. But please do this on your time, not mine. In other words, please do not smoke in my presence, and please do not get on the road when you've had too much to drink.

I feel less safe with a man driving an essentially crash-proof Mercedes who's compulsively fiddling with his various gadgets simultaneously than I did while on the back of a motorcyle going triple digits. Ironically, the first scenario was frightening while the second one was exhilarating. Go figure.

When visiting my folks on Sunday, with my new tires, I was especially appreciating (in awe actually) how the curvy, hilly country roads along a beautiful landscape is a bikers' (and Prelude owners') paradise. And the bikers were out in all their glory--most without helmets--even their women on the back. To each his/her own.
    Indeed, that's exactly what I was referring to in my query. In our overly-litigious culture, you can never be certain about a situation such as this. So, yeah, the closure for you would be, "He's taken care of--no complications, no additional drama--end of story." Glad to know you had a fast and easy ending. Whew!
    I agree with you on the nanny laws, I don't think government should tell you what do in such personal situations. Its just that people would do it period is what gets me!

I'm glad to hear the situation with the BMW guy is settled, now on to your car. Let us know how it works out.

Lulu brought up an excellent question about the snob owners(not all owners are that way) will see these newer models? As far as BMW, I'm not in the circles to really know what most owners will think. But it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    The phone rings at work today around 3:00 PM and it is the body shop guy, Jimmy on the other end. "Your car is ready to be picked up."

WOW, great I said. I get off of work at 5:00 PM and should be there by 6 the latest!

"Um, I have to be somewhere tonight and must leave by 5:30 PM"

OK, don't leave before you see me.

"OK."

So I race towards the body shop. As much as one can race in an '06 Nissan Sentra.

I was awestruck at how beautiful my car gleamed. It seriously looks brand new. I'm so happy with the results.

Watch out road, I'll be tearin' you up tomorrow morning :P

Hey, that's awesome!You must be elated!

Better wear your helmet tomorrow. :P

Is "Jimmy" in White Plains?
    In White Plains. He's actually diagnoally across the street from Audio Visions (The Speed/Sound Shop). In fact when I picked the car up today, Jimmy told me that Manny (The dude who owns Audio Visions) and some of his boys came by to check on my car.

Perhaps the luxury car market is taking its business cues from the fashion world to expand their market base--to sell more cars. Think about it!

All main-stream fashion houses and designers have what is referred to as "bridge wear." O.K., so this is for the woman (and man now) who can't or won't pay an obscene amount of money for a dress or outfit. But, they still enjoy the ambiance of the label.

For instance, with Ralph Lauren, his couture (top-of-the-line) apparel all have purple labels. His business/professional wear have black labels. Then, his "Polo" line, which is an umbrella name brand for his casual/sportswear lines is considered low to mid.

Of course, the fashion snobs would never, ever wear an item from a designer who has licensed their name to bedding, tabletop, and wall paint manufacturers! That just wouldn't happen.

So, no you will not see Ralph Lauren or Calvin Klein or Donna Karan at any of the higher-end stores/boutiques.

The more democratic a product becomes, the faster the "cool factor" evaporates. Well, that's my humble opinion!
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    is inevitable as folks get to know one another, but it looks like we're getting way off-track here.

Claire

HOST

My beautiful Milano Red Prelude. I'm still impressed I get compliments on my car after owning it for 5 years! After playing Tennis with my wife this evening, we decided on Pizza for dinner. As I'm waiting for my Pizza, this 40 something year old lady walks into the restaurant and asks me "Is that your Prelude? It is beautiful! I used to have a Prelude and it was the best car I've ever owned. I regret ever getting rid of it. It gave me 11 fun years and way over 140,000 miles worth of satisfaction."

It made me feel good, especially after my wife beat me bad in our Tennis match :P

I've either got to stop hanging out with timothy or get myself a somewhat less conspicuous vehicle LOL. Driving home from work today, I'm on the Hutch going North. I had to deliver some bulbs to a friend's store in Rye Brook. I was listening to the Yankee game on the radio with my cruise control set at 60 mph. I speed up to about 68 to pass a guy in a beat up minivan, get back in the right lane, look up and see a Westchester County Cop coming up fast in the left lane. I say to myself "You've got to be kidding me!"

The cop flips his lights on, and I immediately signal & pull over. I put my Hazzards on, shut the car off, & placed the keys on top of the dashboard.

nyc: "Good afternoon officer."

Cop: "Do you know why I pulled you over? It is illegal in New York State to have a modified exhaust. Let me see your license & registration. Is this your vehicle?"

nyc: "Sir, I'm going to open my glove compartment to get my registration, OK. It is my father's car."

The cop takes my L&R back to his patrol car. He had me sitting on the side of the road for a good fifteen minutes before he returned.

Cop: "Tell your father it is illegal to have a modified exhaust in New York State. Can you verify your age for me?"

nyc: "I'm 31 sir. I had no idea it is illegal to modify one's exhaust. I've had it for close to 3 years and it has passed New York State Inspection every year with flying colors. Have a good afternoon."

I drove off completely baffled. I'm pretty sure it is not illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust, but I'll have to check. If my exhaust is so illegal, then why didn't he call a tow truck to have my car yanked off the road? I think maybe he thought the car was stolen or just wanted to crack nuts on a beautiful day.