Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• apexskrapexskr Posts: 11
    Although it takes more than 0-60 times to be competitive against the Lude, the V6 mustang already has decent 0-60 times. The manual V6 mustang does 0-60 in 7.0 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.5 @84mph according to http://www.car-stats.com/. The auto tranny shouldn't add more than a second to this time, so your desire to stay within 8 second 0-60 should be satisfied.

If you're seriously looking into the mustangs, I would wait for calendar year 2003 when the new ones roll off the line. The current stang 3.8L V6 is generally noisy and unreliable. It's been plagued with head gasket problems that may or may not have been resolved in '99. Some say it has, but at any rate the 3.8L will be shelved when the new stang arrives in favor of a higher hp DOHC 3.0L or torquier SOHC 4.0L V6. If you're seriously going for a stang now, go for the 4.6L, preferably a 32V DOHC cobra, because it's a far better engine all around than the 3.8L.
  • 1) I need a car alarm. Dealer keeps urging me to get factory one. He keeps saying that if I buy and install an alarm from somewhere else, it could short circuit computer system...how likely is that? Where and what type of alarm would you luders recommend?

2) I've been hearing that there are horror stories about the SS? Something about how the SS really messed up the tranny? What are these horror stores...I would like to know so I won't have to deal with a disaster myself.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    There are reports of the SS transmission failing in a number of the '97 and '98 ludes at the 30k+ miles mark. From what one reads, it's a simple durability issue - something in the SS transmission is just not holding up over time. The problem with the "horror stories" is that there are a lot of reports but no empirical data. The best place to ask would be (frankly) a Prelude fan site like hondaprelude.com where up to several hundred active owners might comment...
  • asethiasethi Posts: 76
    I found the Philips Vision Plus to be crap compared to the philips premium bulb. I was disappointed that it had a blue tinted tip. I didn't use it for more than 2 days. Works great in the high beams, though. Any non-colored H1 bulb is ok to use, there's not much difference unless you wanna spend $50+
  • roaminroamin Posts: 6
    Very surprising, since Vision Plus is claimed to be up to 50% brighter compared to the 30% brighter claim for the Premium. I was also skeptical when I saw the blue coating on the tip of the Vision Plus bulb but I was impressed when comparing its light output to the stock bulb. Are you saying that the Premium appears to be brighter? If so maybe you got some from a bad lot, where did you get them from?
    I also buy all my bulbs from autolamps-online.com. I was actually disappointed to see the blue tip on the vision plus but I gave it a try anyway. Yes, it's not better than the premium. It may be brighter but the color of light is such that it does not light up the road as much as the clear premium bulb. Works pretty good in the high beams though. I don't care how bright a bulb looks if it cannot light up the road. If you get the premium and don't like them, I'll buy them from you! I've also tried Catz and they were good! Too bad these H1 bulbs don't last long (I do clean them with alcohol).
  • Well, after a fairly lengthy and circuitous decision-making process, last week I finally wound up ordering a black 2001 Prelude (Base) with spoiler, leather shift knob, carbon fiber interior trim, cassette player, splash guards, wheel locks, and etched windows for about $23,500. I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning. Who knows, I might actually make it to work before evening comes... :)
  • roaminroamin Posts: 6
    Stevehol,

Just curious as to whether that was with a manual or auto transmission? How does the carbon fiber trim look, I've never seen one in person?
  • That was with a manual (the sportshift would cost you about $800 or $900 more, I think). The carbon fiber looks very nice with the black interior; although it's kinda hard to describe how it actually looks. It's made of plastic, and there is one piece each for both doors, the center console, and the shifter/drink holder. The finish has small glossy grey-black triangular patterns that give the car's interior a racy look. If you want, I can take a picture or two of the interior and e-mail them to you.
    My fiancee's brother has a 98 Lude w/ sportshift. He bought it about a month ago w/ 30K miles. I've been reading here and on hondaprelude.com that the auto trannys from 97-00 are defective and have a tendency of needing replacement between 30K and 40K miles. (*gulp*)

Can anyone provide any more information on the 97-00 sportshift problems?

-What are the specific problems and symptoms?
    -How common is the defect? Is it pretty much all sportshifts or only a small %?
    -Does the problem arise from abuse or is it shotty manufacturing?
    -What are precautionary measures he can take to prolong the life of the tranny? Does getting into VTEC add extra wear to the tranny? How about manually shifting?
    -Is there a recall he should be aware of? If so, can he use it though he's not the original owner and has no idea where it was originally bought?
    -How much does it cost to fix? I've heard $5,000. Is that close? Sounds steep...

Thank you for your help!
  • Don't trust that web-site too much. Most of it's readers and writers don't sound hm... sometimes educated enough, maybe even intelligent enough to produce any valuable oppinions about cars.

Look at all their cheap-looking plastic body kits, trashcan-sized exhausts and then say to yourself: "and these people are saying that Prelude's tranny is defective..." ;-)

Seriously, do you think Honda wouldn't immediately remove these 'defective' transmissions from production? Yea! those money-hungry japanese bastards just kept a secret and continued to manufacture defective trasmission for 3 years!
  • I own a 98 Prelude and I am not going to sell it anytime soon. But despite it's disappearance next year, how would you guys predict it's affect on the car's resale value?

I've talked to my service advisor recently. He wasn't going to sell me a car or something, it was just a relaxed chat. He said that from his experience, after some car disappears from the new car showrooms, the resale value for the last model slightly increases. He said that our 5th gen. Preludes (97-2001) will gain a little bit more value soon.

How would anyone comment that? Prelude is my second car so I don't have any personal experience with the resale values.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I know there are still some 2001s on the lots in this area and the sticker has jumped a bit. One dealer is asking $28k for a Type SH citing demand. Until I drove the RSX-S I wasn't sure, but to my knowledge the Prelude continues to sit largely in a class of its own even with the RSX=S running around, so I'm expecting a slightly higher resale value as well.
  • I recently test drove a Prelude and loved the shifter and handling. But I did not buy because of the tiny back seat and trunk. Does anyone agree with me that this would be a wonderful car if it was a hatchback (and allowed more use of space)? I would buy it in a second..
    I strongly disagree, hondaprelude.com is the best prelude site on the net!!! You won't find any place else where you'd get that kind of information, no other place!!! Every other day I find some usefull info from the site and that's how I've kept my 98 Prelude running like new at 80000 miles.

Here's some statistics about hondaprelude.com:

Total Registered Members: 16,773

Total Setup Pages: 1,877

Total Number of messages posted to the Discussion Board:(Only dates back to February 2000) 215,176

Yes, not all 16,773 members can have the same skills/knowledge about cars - they're basically just car owners trying to help each other. The moderators are knowledgeable enough to help if no one else can.

>"Look at all their cheap-looking plastic body >kits, trashcan-sized exhausts and then say to >yourself: "and these people are saying that >Prelude's tranny is defective..." ;-)"

You're obviously used to judging a book by it's cover! So, you think if someone has cheap-looking plastic body kits and trashcan-sized exhausts then they don't have the right to complain if their tranny goes bad!! Honda is not God, just an auto maker and, yes, they've screwed up many times and still do.

">Seriously, do you think Honda wouldn't >immediately remove these 'defective' >transmissions from production? "

It costs MONEY to replace all those defective transmissions and that is the reason Honda has refused to accept this problem. Since in most cases this problem does not appear while the car is under warranty, honda has a good chance of getting away with it. They may have (and I believe they did) fixed the problem once they found out but that still leaves many cars (97/98 models) on the road with this problem.
  • jsh139jsh139 Posts: 42
    My brother has a 97 Prelude with the SS. His transmission failed on him one day out of the blue. The car had about 35,000 miles on it. He said that he was driving and he noticed that when the transmission shifted into second gear, that the RPMs shot up, but the car was not accelerating (like the clutch was slipping). He thought nothing of it, and about 5 miles later down the road, the car would not move at all. He wasn't even using the SS, mind you. Just cruising in automatic mode.

He ended up having to get a whole new tranny for the car. He had bought the car used from Carsense, and it had a 3 month/3,000 mile warranty that covered it (whew!). I think he said the total cost was around $2,500.

Just something to think about.

HTH,
    -Josh
    I strongly disagree, hondaprelude.com is the best prelude site on the net!!! You won't find any place else where you'd get that kind of information, no other place!!! Every other day I find some usefull info from the site and that's how I've kept my 98 Prelude running like new at 80000 miles.

Here's some statistics about hondaprelude.com:

Total Registered Members: 16,773

Total Setup Pages: 1,877

Total Number of messages posted to the Discussion Board:(Only dates back to February 2000) 215,176

Yes, not all 16,773 members can have the same skills/knowledge about cars - they're basically just car owners trying to help each other. The moderators are knowledgeable enough to help if no one else can.

>"Look at all their cheap-looking plastic body >kits, trashcan-sized exhausts and then say to >yourself: "and these people are saying that >Prelude's tranny is defective..." ;-)"

You're obviously used to judging a book by it's cover! So, you think if someone has cheap-looking plastic body kits and trashcan-sized exhausts then they don't have the right to complain if their tranny goes bad!! Honda is not God, just an auto maker and, yes, they've screwed up many times and still do.

">Seriously, do you think Honda wouldn't >immediately remove these 'defective' >transmissions from production? "

It costs MONEY to replace all those defective transmissions and that is the reason Honda has refused to accept this problem. Since in most cases this problem does not appear while the car is under warranty, honda has a good chance of getting away with it. They may have (and I believe they did) fixed the problem once they found out but that still leaves many cars (97/98 models) on the road with this problem.
    The more I read about the SS problems, the more I hear that same story. Cruising in gear, goes to shift, RPMs shoot up, and then it shifts. Sounds like this is pretty common. The tranny seems to only last between 30K miles and 40K miles.

My fiancee's brother wants to unload his lude before this happens to him. Anyone wanna by a 98 lude sportshift? It's black w/ only 30K miles? LOL He wants another Lude - this time a manual. Damn fine car other than the potential tranny issues.

Try going over to hondaprelude.com and post a message to gerhard explaining. I think he's still trying to rally enough support to get honda's attention. He's already written some letters to some legal dept in New Jersey.
  • jsh139jsh139 Posts: 42
    A Honda transmission that only lasts 30K-40K miles? That's very un-Honda like. I wonder why they haven't stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility? My guess is $$$ reasons, but they should be standing behind their product.

-Josh
    Yeah, I guess so. I've heard of anywhere between $2500 to $5000 to fix the problem! Granted, that's retail, but I can imagine why Honda would want to sweep this under the rug!
    The problem was fixed for model year 2000 (or 2001 - forget which year) Preludes. If there wasn't a problem to begin with, why would it need to be fixed?