Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    ... Ann Arbor and Detroit-Metro Area should be separated. Around Rochester, yes, you are more likely to see a Grand Am Boy Racer Super Cladding or a modded Focus. Ann Arbor, of course, is Volkswagen/Honda/Nissan/et al. city... at least around campus. My aunt just moved into town with her mid-1990s Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    I believe the dealer I've been working with has located a 2001 Prelude Type SH for me. He's offered to sell me the car for invoice.

He just has to verify the color for me (I told him Red, White, or Silver). I want him to make sure the car is new with no demo miles (I know the VTEC engines are sensitive during break in). I asked him to see that there were no dealer installed accessories (especially the moonroof visor that covers 3/4 of the moonroof when it is open.

If all is kosher, then I've just got to scrape some cash together, put it in a paper bag, & head over to the dealership!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    GOOD LUCK!
  • norenore Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have read the last 200 or so messages, and the amount of valuable information posted on this vehicle (and its competitors) is staggering. Great job!

I am looking for a 99-and-up Prelude base w/ SportShift with under 30k miles... Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay? Edmunds' ~$18500 quote for a 2001 model sounds almost too good to be true.

Also, I live in NYC; if any NYC Prelude carshoppers can lend me some advice, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Check the used car search on cars.com, which while not the same as Edmunds' numbers all the time, is often a great indicator of what cars are going for. Enter in a zip code, search for all Preludes within 500 miles, and just eyeball the prices to get a feel for the spread.
  • I have a 99 Prelude SS with 30,xxx miles on it. It is a lease and i have to turn it in come October. If you can wait until then, you can buy it from my dealership. I think the residual would be like 14k or so. Maybe there is some way that i could turn it in early of something???? I have done all scheduled maintenance and oil changes at dealership with records and only mods are Iceman CAI (have stock airbox and resonator in my garage) and a C/F interior kit (which can be easily removed) and Blue H's on hood and trunk.
    I'm working with Honda of Nanuet (about 25 miles north of the city) and I believe they have some brand new base models with sport shifts on their lot. I'm sure they'd be willing to part with one of them below invoice for you. For a few thousand more, it makes sense to buy a brand new one. The gentleman I'm working with has been very accomodating (I believe he's located an '01 Type SH for me). His name is Steve. He's the internet salesman. I believe you can shoot him an email via their website at www.nanuethonda.com

Tell him Bradd (The guy in the who's looking for an SH Prelude) sent you. I haven't bought the car from him yet, but I'm sure he'll appreciate it!

Good Luck!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

The guy's name is Steve Pincus. His email address is nanuethonda@hotmail.com

Good Luck!

• shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Did you get your car or any info. on the car? I am curious on what the deal will be on Prelude for now - if you don't mind sharing...
  • norenore Posts: 2
    Thank you for all of your advice. Based on my brief cars.com search, either Edmunds' quote is off, or the dealers are leaving room for negotiation :) I will contact the Nanuet Honda about their new base model Preludes, and if that doesn't work out, we might be able to work something out, PreludeEd ;)

Again, thank you!
    Well, this guy Steve at nanuet Honda apparently doesn't want to sell me a car, he wants to play games. he offered to see me a new Prelude Type SH at invoice if he locates one for me. He now says he wants a deposit just to locate the car. I emailed him and told him that if he finds me the car that I want, I'll gladly give him a deposit, but won't give him a deposit for him to run a locate on the computer for me. I then left him a voicemail and asked him to call me back so we can discuss matters further. He hasn't called or responded to my email or called me back.

He called me yesterday & told me he's looking for the car for me and has found a few on the locator computer. He says now it is just a matter of calling to see if the inventory on the computer is up to date. He said there's quite a few Black Type SH Preludes out there, but I told him I want Red, White, or Silver. Steve is off today and will be back on Wednesday. The waiting is a killer:)

• mikeg444mikeg444 Posts: 17
    I am in the market for a either a used Prelude (92-96) or a used Acura Integra (94-98). Unfortunately it has to be an automatic so my wife can drive it as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one to purchase?

We own a 4Runner, so I am not worried about space. We just need a fun commuting and reliable commuting car.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    You really can't go wrong with either, since they're both very reliable and well-built.

The Integra offers slightly better fuel economy, better utility (with the hatch), and lower insurance rates. Since you're looking for the autobox, you will have little difficulty locating one that hasn't been modded by the previous owner.

The Prelude gives you a better (if slightly odd) interior with really nice seats, a smoother, quieter highway ride, and more torque from the larger engine (which will match the auto tranny better). 4th generation ('92-'96) Preludes are fairly difficult to find, so you might have a tough time negotiating a favorable deal.

Good luck!
    himiler: Are you sure the Prelude will have higher insurance? The Integra is a more widely stolen car.

mikeg44: Whatever you do, buy a car that hasn't been modified. If you're thinking Automatic, I'd definitely advise the Prelude. My best friend had one in high school and the 2.3L 160hp DOHC engine (In the Prelude Si) is matched very well to the automatic. It got us into plenty of trouble:) I like the styling better as well.

The Integra will give you more utility, but may not be as fun to drive with the automatic (140hp).

Both will give you great handling, good fuel economy, solid reliability, & a smile on your face every time you drive the car.

Of course my opinion is biased because I just bought a 2001 Prelude Type SH;)

• kenjabikenjabi Posts: 76
    I have a 99 Base 5 speed Prelude with 33K miles. I've driven it about 2500 miles since its last oil change, and when I checked the oil the dipstick barely touched oil. I added a couple of quarts of oil and now it's between max and min level.

I've begun noticing a small puff of blue smoke and smelling burned oil when I start the car after it's been sitting for a while (like overnight). I also occasionally notice a large puff of blue smoke when I VTEC it, which is pretty rare for me. I have no mods on my car, use 10W-30 oil (like manual says), and don't drive it very hard.

I took it to the Honda dealer this morning since it's still under warranty, but the Honda service guys are telling me this is all normal. Is it? Are other 5th gen owners noticing the same thing?

I've looked at hondaprelude.com and preludeonline.com and quite a few have the same problem, but I know that a lot of those guys mod their engines and/or race them a lot, so I'd figure they'd get more wear and tear than a "regular" driver.

The car is still fairly new and I'd like to keep it for quite a while longer, so I don't want this to become a bigger problem down the road.
  • blacktalonblacktalon Posts: 203
    I had the same problem when my 2001 Prelude was new. It burned about one quart every 1000 miles for the first 4000 miles. After that, the problem went away completely, and it's been fine for the last 3000 miles.

From the other websites, it seems like a pretty common problem, even with completely stock 'ludes.
  • hgileshgiles Posts: 66
    98 SH - No oil loss so far and 44,000 miles.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    kenjabi---you should be using 5W-30 oil, which offers better start-up flow than 10W-30. A little bit of oil consumption isn't unusual for the H22, but your puff of blue smoke upon cold start isn't typical. I would ask the dealer to check the compression on each of your cylinders.
    If the dealer won't do it for free, I'd be tempted to pay for the test, just so that if any repairs are required, they will fall under warranty.

I just hit 39,000 miles today and have yet to see any oil consumption. The moonroof has become pretty loosey-goosey, however.

nyccarguy--Re: insurance
    I can speak only from experience. When I replaced my '98 GS-R with the '01 Lude, the annual premium went up $120, and that's factoring-in the ignition immobilizer on the Lude. Maybe it was just the difference in model years.

BTW, how's the SH working for you?