Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• hgileshgiles Posts: 66
    What kind of tires are on your Preludes? I am buying winter or all-seasons for my 98 Prelude SH because it snowed here in St. Louis and I almost died driving on Bridgestone RE 730's. I knew I should not have done this, but I was a little naive about just how bad they would be.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I have the stock Bridgestones. I'm trying to get through this winter without dying. This is one of the few times where the car actually handles better with more people in it. The other week, with snow on the ground and three people inside and the trunk filled with stuff, the Prelude actually handled reasonably well.
  • Goodyear Ultra Grips - highly recommended.
  • acgpsacgps Posts: 1
    My 95 5 spd Prelude Si is not idling as it should. It has 79000 miles on it. When idling the engine revs constantly from 1000 to 1500 rpms. It always does it when cold and sometimes does it after it has warmed up. During normal driving (in gear) there is no revving problem. The engine is strong. I really love this car. Any ideas what this problem might be?

Thanks
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    I'm no mechanic, but since the car is running fine otherwise, it might just be that your car needs the idle speed adjusted. I'd suggest you schedule an appointment with your local Honda shop -- they'll know the engine best.
    Having recently switched over to my 195/60-15 Alpins, I can't believe how much steering feel my S-03's were filtering out. Although the levels of grip are far lower, the car's steering actually feels quicker. I'm not sure that I'll buy the S-03's again when they're worn out.

I'd love winter driving almost as much as summer driving if everyone else were equipped with proper tires. I'm always looking for the next guy to spin and wreck me, too. The Quaife sure helps things when roads are slick, but nothing beats the fun I have in my 2.5RS w/four Blizzaks. Wheee!
  • qxpqxp Posts: 2
    Alright, I live on the Gulf Coast, so I don't ever have to worry about snow tires ;)

But, I am glad to hear that the Prelude drives so well in the snow. What kind of tires do you run on your Prelude when it's not snowing out? And not for track usage. I've got to replace my Kumho Ecstas with something, and wanted a little advice.

• I have S-03 Pole Positions, and I love them. The grip is fantastic on both wet and dry roads, and I have to disagree with himiler, in that I haven't noticed any reduction in feedback with the S-03s vs. Arctic Alpins (which I use for winter driving). Though I run the stock size 205/50-16s for both, and that might have something to do with it.

To me, the feedback seems slightly, but noticeably, better with the S-03s than the stock RE92s -- and the grip and responsiveness are far superior...
  • in response to "prelude problem". I have a 99 prelude and previously owned a 91 accord coupe. At about 125,000 miles the Accord's idle would fluctuate between 1000 and 2000 rpms if i did a few things 1) revved it while it was cold and warming up during the "fast idle" 2) was driving awhile at a set speed, like on the highway, and put it in neutral to coast or something. The prelude, with 60,000 miles does it, has done it 2 or 3 times since ive owned it (2 years). Both only do it when it is cold outside. Two dealers have told me that it has something to do with the cooling system, although they arent sure what. Sorry this wasnt of too much help.
  • axp696axp696 Posts: 90
    Looking through the 2001 models on Edmunds, the only difference I can find between the STD and Type SH is a limited slip differential. What else is there that justifies the $2000 difference?
  • The SH features the ATTS system, which most people say you can only notice the difference on a track, and it doesnt function as traction control. The SH also came with a slightly stiffer suspension, different design alloy wheels, the spoiler, and the leather wrapped shift knob.
    ... the puddle lamps :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,879
    Admitting you have a problem.

Hi, my name is Bradd and I'm addicted to VTEC:)

I've finally been able to stretch the Prelude's legs out and all I can say is WOW! The 7+ month wait to get the miles under the car's belt was well worth it. I love the sound and the way the car just surges forward. I've got a big ear to ear grin everytime I drive it. Whether I get to open it up or I'm feathering the clutch in rush hour traffic.

Sphinx99: Do you miss driving the S2000? Also the fancy color keyed lower body moulding, but who's counting?

I'm with Sphinx on keeping the stockies on this season and then buy a set of Winter tires possibly over the summer or next fall for use next winter.

What are you guys running your tires at? I've got them at 32 all around like the door jamb says, but is anybody else having any luck otherwise?

axp696: If you're looking for a used Prelude, you'll be perfectly happy with a base model (5 speed of course). This coming from a Type SH owner. I think it was worth every penny:) No offense Himiler:)

Himiler, I'm with you on the winter driving thing. There are too many idiots on the roads with SUVs that think they are indestructable. Speaking of fun winter driving, while at home in the snow storm, I was tearing up some empty parking lots in my Dad's QX4 and then had loads of fun with my Mom's A6 3.0.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• qxpqxp Posts: 2
    The SH also weighs over a hundred pounds more and costs quite a few pennies more.
    I miss the S2k's chassis and steering (the smaller diameter wheel actually changes the driving experience markedly--the car feels smaller because the wheel's turning ratio is higher and the diameter is smaller) but it's mostly made up for with the Prelude's better stereo. Basically, I am a music nut and can only be so happy with a car that doesn't have a good stereo system. I am still thinking about upgrading the stereo, perhaps come the spring.

The stock tires are fine once more, now that the earlier blast of snow has melted away. Unfortunately ice seems to have done a number on both windshield wipers.

I've been fueling up with 94 octane lately (as opposed to the regular 92/93) at a Sunoco but don't notice much of a difference. Do any of you use those STP de-watering things?
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    In March 2002 I purchased a leftover base 2001 Prelude coupe with the automatic. After 3,600 miles I replaced the stock factory rotors with cross-drilled rotors from the Honda dealer, as the originals were already badly warped. (According to the dealer, these are factory-approved rotors and will not void the warranty.) For awhile, all was well.

Now, the odometer just hit 16,000 miles, and I'm getting pulsations through the brake pedal again! And no, it's not my driving - passengers have commented that I'm not hard on the brakes. I enjoy the engine and the handling of this car, but quite frankly, my patience is wearing faster than the rotors. I'm seriously looking at unloading this car come spring.

Honda needs to get its act together with its braking systems - my 1993 Civic EX sedan went over 60,000 miles before the rotors needed to be turned. Granted, those were mostly highway miles, but I expect considerably more than 12,000 miles between rotor turnings, even with mostly urban driving. Especially on what is supposed to be a sports coupe.
    You might investigate getting your next set of rotors cryo-treated: the process makes them far more resistant to damage from heat build-up. Honda rotors are prone to warping due to the large pad size (the pad holds heat and hot-spots the rotor when the car isn't moving). My experiences with Honda brakes have been mixed: my '87 Prelude and '96 Integra both ate brakes (front and rear, every year!), but my '91 Civic and '98 Integra GS-R both went over 100K without needing pads or rotors.

Most of the hot-spotting occurs when you brake hard, and then sit at a long light or park the car without driving around to cool the brakes. There is the remote possiblilty that your calipers could be sticking, causing the pads to drag, but that would be idicated by rapid pad wear, which you don't mention.

NYC--Finally, you're a VTEC-junkie! The suspense was killing me. Just remember to keep an eye on the oil level.

Blacktalon--I think the increase in steering feel and tracking stability I'm getting with the Alpins (over the S-03's) comes from their narrower tread width (195 vs. 205), but the S-03's do tend to follow every groove in the road, making the steering busy on worn pavement.
  • I had to replace the rear pads at about 57,000 miles, while the fronts, now with just under 70,000, still show 20% according to the dealer. I thought the fronts should wear first. I dunno.
    I notice some rattling when the bass is a bit high while listening to music. It seems to be coming from the rear speaker grilles and possibly the ceiling, above the headliner... how easy/expensive is it to address this with dynamat or a knockoff? Any experience in this area? I'm trying to get a feel for whether this is a $25 fix or a $250 fix.
    Thanks for the information. What exactly is involved with having the rotors cyro-treated?
    sphinx--I've got it, too. Also have rattles/buzzing from the hi-mount CSL on the parcel shelf. I've thought that some double-sided foam sticky tape would fix the problem, but I've been less than seriously motivated to work on it.

grbeck--To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I know that the rotors (also can be done to engine blocks) are immersed in a bath of liquid nitrogen (or something similarly cold) which has the effect of strengthening the crystalline structure of the metal, but beyond that, I'm clueless. Sadly, I'm not specifically aware of where you can get this treatment performed, but you might get results from a google search or by asking around on car tuning boards.
    Thank you for the information. You'd think the car companies would start doing this themselves, as complaints about warping rotors seem to be pretty widespread.
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    I have 36,900 miles on my Prelude, (fresh from 26 days at the body shop) and the brakes have been warped for about 1,000 miles. It's pretty annoying and I'll have them check it at the next service. Also, since I got my car back from the body shop, the speakers have been rattling when the bass hits hard. I took the grills off to find a bunch of detritus on the cones, anyway, cleaning it made them sound a lot better.
    Finally, my car lightly smokes when it's floored. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and drive it pretty carefully, I mean, the Potenzas are still original and probably can go 7,000 more miles. I don't understand where the smoke is coming from. It doesn't show up under normal driving.
    You're getting some oil burning at WOT due to some blow-by around the piston rings. Although it can be a normal sign of engine wear (depending upon how the car's been driven), it's unfortunately a sign of compression loss.

As long as your car doens't blow blue smoke on a cold start, it's not much to fret about.
    I say Damn all the Tahoes, Denalis, Saabs, Audis, X5s, and AWD Chrysler Town & Countrys, I'm taking the Prelude Skiing. Thanks to a wonderful Hanukkah present from my girlfriend (she bought me Thule Bars with ski and bike attachments), the Prelude is ready to take on the slopes. The bars took a while to put on, but now taking thm on and off will be somewhat simpler. The only downside is that I can't open my sunroof because of the wind noise, so I can survive without it for a few weeks:) My girlfriend and I are going skiing in the Pocono Mountains (Pennsylvania)for a few days for New Year's. Between skiing and biking, I feel like we lead the active lifestyle coveted by the SUV marketers... NEVER...HA HA HA HA!

Merry Xmas Everybody!

Happy holidays, and be careful :)
    My first Road trip with the Prelude was lots of fun and a successful one (no speeding tickets). Happy New Everybody BTW! The Skis we noisless on the roof to the point that I barely even knew they were there. I'm still madly in love with this car. I got the thumbs up from a guy in a tricked out GSR. I was going about 72 (in a 65) and he was flying up on the left. He slowed down (from about 90), gave me the thumbs up and then took off. While unloading the Prelude at the ski mountain, a kid who couldn't have been more than 15 or 16 said to me that I had "An Awesome Prelude." He proceeded to ask some questions and after a few minutes, my girlfriend promptly pulled me away.

I still love my Milano Red, but I've got to hand it to you guys tht have Silver (Himiler & Sphinx), it is possibly the best color for our car. I saw a Silver Base Model with a Spoiler at night parked right underneath a street light. It was like there was a halo around the car.

The silver is an amazing car at night underneath lights. The car glows. I have to admit that there's something to be said for Milano Red. Also, I saw a Pearl White SH a few months ago, obviously recently detailed and done up, and I was shocked at how attractive that car looked. The SH rims and proportions match the pearl white body better than they do the other colors, I think. Black is the only color that I don't particularly like. Must be all those black 4-door Accord LX sedans running about...

I'm glad that you're enjoying your car! Mine's doing fine except for rattling from the rear deck speaker grilles whenever I have the sound turned up. I've thought about trying dynomat or some other sound insulator, but the stuff is expensive and I'm trying to save money. One month to wedding, two months to Italy vacation, and three months to my dream home theater! There won't be any money left by April so I'm saving every penny.
  • samjsamj Posts: 13
    Hey guys? I want a Prelude, and a dealer has a silver one with 16K miles. I like the low mileage but I'm worried about how hard the previous owner drove it. Thats why I'm considering a new RSX as an alternative. (plus RSX has cheaper insurance) Any suggestions? What other factors should I consider? Thanks.
  • I'd go for the Prelude. It's a lot faster than the base RSX. If it were the Prelude vs. the RSX Type S, that would be a harder call.

In either case, it's worth test driving both...