Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,091
    Yo! Wuz Up! I jus picked up my 'Lude frum da deala 2day. It drivez gr8. The steering & brakez ain't nuthin' compared to my S2K tho. So uv corse I had to go cruizin around. I pull up to dis lite and therez dis punk A$$ drivin' daddyz Corvette ZO6 convertable. I no itz hiz daddyz car cuz I alwayz see him buzzin around in a modded Civic. Hez lookin at me and revin his engine. When da lite turned green I took off and he was stil smokin' hiz tirez..HA HA! He coodn't drive! I no he wood've beat me, but I no I'll be able to take him once I get my AEM Pulliez, AEM CAI, JDM H22A engine swap, Mugen Exhaust, and JRSC...Ha Ha!

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. I actually had to think in order to butcher our language;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Sphinx99: Besides saying the Prelude's brakes and steering are soft and less aggressive (as compared to your S2000), you're probably also one of the first people I've ever heard refer to your Prelude as a practical car;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I'm driving from NY to Bethesda, MD tonight for one of my cousin's Bat Mitzvah. Originally it was going to be just my Girlfriend and I, so it would be a perfect trip for my Prelude. My sister is actually coming with us, so I'll be forced to take my Saab (we should all have this problem:).

Next weekend I've been invited to my friend's house on the Jersey Shore (Bradley Beach). It'll be just me so it will be great to get some quality Prelude driving time in. I'm actually going to drive up to my parents' house (about 25 miles north of the city; 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic) in my Saab. Put the bra on my Prelude. Then drive down to my friend's house in NJ (about 40 minutes from my parents' house). I'm going to follow him on his motorcycle (or attempt to follow anyway) down to his house on the shore.

• sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    omg stfu ur n00b gimp lol my LuDez ownz u hahah
    c'mon, you have to give me some points for creativity.

ur creavty sux!!!111111!1!1
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Whew! For one scary moment, I thought I was on HondaPrelude.com!
    i just got my lude ne1 know what exhaust is best thx
  • jsh139jsh139 Posts: 42
    heh, that's nothing .. you should stroll over to DTMPower.net sometime .. There was an actual serious discussion on there where the poster was asking "which tire thread [sic] looks the coolest?"

will these people ever learn?
    I took the Prelude out for a workout on the I-696 (the Detroit autobahn) this evening and it performed beautifully. Actually I've had a cheapo rental Focus for a couple of days (needed to run people + stuff around this week) and after putting a few hundred miles in that, I found myself appreciating the relatively strong punch of the Prelude. What a fine engine. It's too bad Honda didn't find a way to widen the car an inch or two, and bump the engine displacement up to 2.4L or so. A 2.4L H22 getting up to 7500rpm and putting out, say, 230hp and 175ft-lbs of torque in a car that weighs, say, 50lbs more... mmm. I wonder, given the number of people who are gung-ho about putting the 200hp Prelude powerplant in a Civic, does anyone ever think about putting a souped up 2.4L engine from the CRV or whatever into the Prelude? Just wondering...

I noticed that the moonroof doesn't open and close quite as quickly as before; anyone else have this issue? I was going to get some auto grease and see if I could worm a little into the railings...

I must say that right now I feel like I have the perfect garage to keep me going for years and years. Now that the car situation has been put to bed for a while, I can focus on those washboard abs that I told myself I'd have by 1998... oops.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    I-696/Detroit Autobahn: if you saw a silver blur go by today, it was some triple-digit mph idiot kid in his "Silver Bullet" Integra. Haircut appointment, you know. The mullet I was growing definitely said "Camaro dude" and that was not going to fly any longer!!!!

Preludes are plenty practical. Integra's hatch makes it just a little moreso, but remember that 200hp power! Thus, RSX is so practical, it may not even be fun. But remember, these all have FWD, thus you can hit the Reuther Expressway (I-696) all year long.

I'm getting the idea here that some people think 200hp is not enough. That S2000 has spoiled you! Man!

Two other observations: cheapo rental Focus is ewwwwww. nyccarguy is definitely authentic. NiCE 'LuDz!!!

mutter mutter stupid ingrained tar pellet mutter mutter gotta get me a car bra sometime mutter.
    Yes, the cheapo rental Focus was pretty bad. Roll up windows. A while before that I had a cheapo rental Corolla with 31,000 miles on it and I have to admit, it grew on me. It was precise and incredibly tossable, and while I doubt it had more than 100hp underneath the hood, it was so light that it felt pretty spunky. That was my first real Toyota experience but it's given me enough reason to look seriously at a Supra if they ever bring it back.

It's not so much the 200hp as the 156ftlbs torque in a car that pretty much weighs 3200lbs with the driver. (Type SH is what, around 3050lbs?) The S2000 and heck, even the Focus and Corolla, kind of spoil you to lighter cars, and the Prelude could use 150lbs of weight reduction. This gets me thinking about how unhappy I'd be if I ever traded in the S2k for a 350Z. Performance cars should be under 3000lbs; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    The CR-V's 2.4L is just a longer-stroke/larger bore version of the K-series motor from the RSX/Si, tuned for more torque.

Since the K's spin in the opposite direction as a H22a4, putting one under a Prelude's hood would require more engineering than it's worth.

The JDM Prelude Type-S cranked out ~220HP. There was some speculation that the 2001 US Prelude would get the full Type-S treatment (w/ LSD, subtle body kit, auto climate control) as a kind of "farewell package," but American Honda (bozos) didn't think the demand would warrant the expense. Bummer.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Posts: 116
    It's funny how what you're used to makes all the difference. My daily driver is a 10-second -ish slushbox, so when I got a chance to test drive a 7-second (right?) Prelude SH, it actually felt like it had too much power. Even right down at the bottom, in first gear at low RPMs right when the clutch grabs, I felt a surge of power I had never felt before in any car. This in a car with 'only' 156 lb ft. It scared me, to be quite honest. And yet since you're used to the S2000, you have the exact opposite viewpoint.

About the 2.4 liter engine, Honda's starting to tune it fairly nicely. The new Accord Type R in Japan will have a version of it producing 240 hp. If the Prelude were still alive, that engine would be a wonderful underhood replacement for the 2.2 liter...well, for those it won't scare with its strength anyway.

Mike
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    okay, sphinx! Let's put in a bigger engine and reduce the weight and turn the Prelude into a S2000!

I won't be happy if the next Prelude becomes basically a S2000 coupe.

Prelude is not = S2000.

As for the 350Z, it's heavy enough! They should have given it ZX styling, and I would be all sold on it! >:(
  • phankanephankane Posts: 57
    I had a problem with idle speed of 92 lude, the engine just dying down, I have to keep my foot on the pedal all the time to keep engine alive; went to the dealer the tech guy pulled out the modulator (electronic part the size of 2'' x2''), clean the contact points, plug it back and it works as new. Few week ago the samething happened again, I spayed the engine with degreaser and wash the engine, the problem with idle speed disapear!!
    I was down in the MD,VA,DC metro area this weekend and saw quite a few 5th Gen Preludes running around (All stock TG). Took my Saab with me as I had to bring a 3rd passenger w/ luggage down with me. They were mostly silver & black. I saw a beautiful Silver Type SH with tinited windows that was especially clean. I've even taken a liking to the Electron Blue Pearl color which I originally thought was made for the shall we say "younger Prelude enthusiast;)"

On my way down while dashing through the great state of Delaware, I was driving next to a beautiful white 3rd gen Prelude Si. It was White w/ white wheels (which are nice, but I'll take the unpainted ones for maintenance purposes). It was in grogeous condition.

You can really see where the 5th generation gets its styling cues from when you see a pristine 3rd generation like the one I saw. Long hood, short roof & reart deck. The long, skinny tail lights.

sphinx99: That last one was pretty good, you just shouldn't have asked it in this forum. You should have started an entirely new thread for your specific question. LOL!

himiler: Yeah, the 220hp JDM Type S engine with auto climate control would have been a nice last hurrah for us. Does the JDM Type S have LSD? I thought it had ATTS in the front coupled with 4WS in the rear.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about the JDM Type S Vti or whatever it was; best I've found is that there was an ATTS version, and a 4WS version, but both technologies didn't make it into the same car.

I've been punishing the Prelude a bit over the last few days on hard curves and am enjoying ATTS a great deal. I find myself wondering whether it should make sense on a RWD or AWD drivetrain. Imagine AWD with ATTS both up front and down back. That car would stay on curves no matter what.
    I always thought of ATTS as an "AWD system" for the front axle. If you look at a sophisticated AWD system like Audi's Quattro, one of its functions is to transfer power to the outside wheels around corners. So ATTS wouldn't be needed if the AWD system is advanced enough.