Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    There is a benefit to be gained with a CAI in the summertime, when underhood heat is most prevalent. But the biggest benefit stems from the fact that the CAI is wider and much more free-flowing than a stock intake. There's no resonator, airbox, or sharp bends -- just nice, easy bends and a conical, velocity stack filter. Air gets into the engine very quickly. (But the fact that it's quite a bit cooler helps, too.)

I don't have the bypass valve because I don't have to worry about flash-flooding or lots of standing water in my area. Also, the BPV requires you to cut the CAI tubing (a real shame) and may negate some of the airflow benefits (flow rate) of the CAI. I've seen cases where the BPV allowed fine dust or grit into the throttle body -- the section of CAI tubing between the BPV and TB gets dirty on the inside. Without a BPV, mine stays dust-free.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual. As long as you keep your wits about you and avoid deep puddles, you won't need the BPV.

Here's a link showing a CAI install on a G5 Prelude. I found it to be pretty useful.
    http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-intake/fifth-intake.shtml

AWD Prelude? Naaahh, too heavy. The only things the Prelude ever really needed were a sixth gear, 20 more HP and RWD (or at the very least, a factory LSD).
  • carscoutcarscout Posts: 11
    I am going for the G5 Prelude, mainly 99', 00', 01' due to consumerguides.com trouble area reviews. The G4 had more trouble spots. I have been driving my dads stick for a while now. So I'll be looking for a manual Prelude. My budget is around 16 grand. I don't want too many miles on it.
    If you've got $16K to play with, a '00 should be within your reach, but you might have to settle for a car with 35,000 miles or more.

As long as the car has been serviced, don't be afraid of a Prelude with miles.

Good luck in your search!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,536
    SO even though it is supposed to rain tomorrow (what else is new), I decided that I had to get all of the bird Doo-doo off of my car. So I pull up to the car wash and see this tastefully modified '95ish Accord in really good condition. Naturally I sprung a conversation with its owner. He told me he likes his car, but wishes it was faster. He asked me what I rolled up in. I spread my arms out in the direction of my car. The guy's reaction was great. He said (to his friend): YO! Check out this guy's Prelude! They proceeded to tell me how much they love the Prelude and ask me numerous questions about the car's performance. They asked me if I raced it and I told them not in a million years. I definitely got a nice grin from it:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I think the Prelude is on the verge of attaining cult status like the last CRX Si has.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I got almost the same reaction as nyccarguy last night at a gas station. A couple of guys in a 3000GT at the other pump walked up and started asking about the car, what it's like. One asked if I'm thinking about selling. At first I thought they were going to jump me or something, they both were big and mean looking. (Kind of like the 3000GT, come to think of it.)

I'm enjoying the Prelude. I'd say that done up nicely it's now getting more attention than I got (top up) in the S2000, although a convertible always is going to be sexier when you can drop the top. I've seen exactly two Type SHs in the last 12 calendar months.
    We definitely think alike. The 2 guys I was talking to at the car wash told me they were looking for an H22A to swap into their accord. I figured they were maybe trying to case out where my car is at certain times to steal it:)

himiler: I agree with you on the cult status for the Prelude. Give it a few more years so the car gets even more obscure. Maybe that'll mean better (than usual) resale down the road. I just hope it doesn't make theft of the car go up. If my car got stolen, there is absolutely nothing (that I can afford) that I'd want.

A bit OT, but I think the upcoming BMW 1 series is going to be a cool car, lightweight, RWD, BMW Handling, along with a high revving 4cyl or small I6. I saw a small shot of the new Legacy Turbo (in black)...that looks like a cool car. 250hp & AWD, not too shabby.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

The 1-Series looks good on paper, but I'm concerned about the styling (as strange as that sounds coming from ME). Bangle makes me sick, and unless the "flame surfacing" BS get cleaned up or (at the very least) toned down, I won't look twice at the 1. I'm okay with bland styling, but I won't be a rolling billboard for Bangle's "vision."

The Legacy is looking nice, though. My only concern is the long-term durability of the 2.5L block -- they are known for developing cooling problems at around the 90K mark. Subaru won't acknowledge it, but it's a manufacturing defect. What a shame if it causes trouble in the STi, and everything else that uses that engine. (I've got my fingers crossed for my Impreza 2.5.) Unless Subaru has revised the casting, there are going to be more sorry owners to join the growing number of Outback and Forester folks who have had to buy new engines.

Sphinx -- How're those new tires?
  • phankanephankane Posts: 57
    The CRX gained that cult status because it was its mission in the first place. While the curent lude was aimed squarely at office girls. It has the girly air all over it that I have been too embarass to sit in one. There is no doubt that it is very good car.
    That's an interesting take on things, saying that the under-styled Prelude was a favorite of the ladies (who tend to be very style-conscious). Most people who were willing to pay the premium for the G5 Prelude were those who knew exaclty what they wanted from the car, and styling wasn't high on the list.

And just so you're up to speed, there is no "current" Prelude. It's been discontinued, due to its lack of appeal to fashion-focused people and its higher than class average price (superior hardware doesn't some cheap).

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Celica, Eclipse, or V6 Mustang? And I do see a lot of women (young and old) in the Toyota Matrix...I hear they're really good for fetching groceries.
    So after work today, I stopped off to get my car washed by some teenagers who were raising money for a school. I figured for $5, what the hay. So They finish washing the car in front of me and one of the kids (he was maybe 15) says to me..."Damn, Preludes are my favorite cars! I love these cars! Yo, make sure to take your time washing this one." Yet another stupid smirk was on my face for the entire ride home. Well that and it was a good driving day:)

As far as bangle goes, I'm kinda diggin' his current work. The 745 with those 19" wheels is a car that definitely has some presence. I think it is aggressive looking. I hated it at first. The more I see them on the road (and I see plenty on a daily basis), the more I like it.

The Z4 I've liked from the get go. I was never a fan of the Z3 and the styling of the Z4 appeals to me more. Although I don't think I'd ever own one because for the price of a loaded up 3.0i I could get a nice 330i or Ci via ED (for a little less cash) or save up another couple months for an M3:)

I'm going to reserve judgement on the 5 until I see it in person. The same with the 1 series. From what I've read, the "eyebrow" blinkers are here to stay.

The tires? They're sitting at the tire shop until I have some time to get them put on. This week is Ford's 100th anniversary celebration here in Detroit and my company is providing some of the logistical and resource support, resulting in long hours, trips between work and Dearborn and (sadly) a delay on the tires until I can get an hour during business hours to swing by and have them switched. Hopefully Wednesday!

I'm with NYC. I always thought the 745 was a pretty nice looking car, inside and out. As he said, with the 19" wheels the car is an expression of stature, wealth and performance--exactly what the 745 is supposed to be. I think that the 7-series will age more gracefully than the current generation equivalent Benz, Audi and Lexus, for what it's worth. Ditto the Z4. The first time I sat in one (out at a show last year in SF) I was horrified by the terrible interior ergonomics (I'm still horrified) but I thought the exterior wasn't too bad. Then I finally saw a silver Z4 on a sunny day on the freeway, with the top down, and that thing made traffic stop. Wow. It's definitely a car that looks better in motion (when you are fixating not on those lines but the overall shape) than it does sitting still or in a photograph.

I'd be all over a M1. Depending on how BMW goes with the 1-series, the non-M models may leave me wondering where the power is. At least, based on the 3-series coupes which I thought were subpar versus the Prelude's puny-by-the-numbers engine, short of the fully decked out 330Ci. My next car will be more expensive than the Prelude, I suspect, and I expect it to offer substantially more. I sort of expect the 1-series to match what I'm already enjoying while coming with a higher price. Hence, the M1.

Now the real BMW action is in that Z5/S2000-fighter concept drawing that was floating around a year ago. C'mon BMW, give us more!

Hot day today and I realized exactly how much of a slug Prelude becomes once the AC is on at full blast.
    The current 325i/Ci w/ a 5-speed manual transmission puts up similar acceleration numbers (low 7s to 60 mph) to the Prelude. BMWs are also known for getting faster with age. Couple that with the perfect weight distribution and Sport Package and you've got a great successor to the Prelude (despite the almost 200 lb increase in curb weight).

BMW does seem committed to keeping weight down though as the E60 (upcoming) 5 series actually weighs 165lbs less than the (current) E39 model. The 1 series should weigh in significantly less than our Prelude. The next 3 series should weigh in about the same (or less) than the (current) E46 or about as much as our Preludes.

Very strange, last night I saw 4 5th Gen Preludes (1 Black, 1 Green, & 2 White). I rarely ever see that many in a month.

Today I saw 2 911 Turbos (The new ones...996 I think)

People are taking out the garage queens. I saw a gunmetal NSX a few days ago, and shortly thereafter a bright yellow Viper. Those are two cars I rarely see.

I also saw a red 5th gen, two separate black S2000s on the same trip to work, and perhaps most amazingly, THREE yellow Hummer H2s following each other. (Must have been some sort of event... let me tell you, three yellow Hummers on the highway makes for an interesting sight.)
  • blacktalonblacktalon Posts: 203
    Yeah, I just went for a afternoon drive in the nice sunny weather we're getting in Boston (for a change!), and I saw two Audi TT roadsters, two Porsche Boxsters, and a very nice red NSX...
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    I am not sure if it is just me or what. But, each year during the summer time (when the weather get really hot - I live in TX), the Prelude will always consume some oil (1 qt during the oil change in the time period). It never consume any oil at other times. It did not use any oil when I was living in the north 2 years ago.

I kind of notice it last year. I changed the oil first in Apr. and towards the end of June, I checked the oil, it is 3/4 qt low, filled it up. At the time of oil change (around 4k miles), it is about 1/4 - 1/2 qt low again. After that, had 3 oil change with 4k mile interval and had not a drop of oil loss until now, I notice the oil is low by 1/2 (between the 2 dots) again and it happens right at the same time of the year. End of June is not the hottest month, but it is definitely hot here (low 90s). I don't know what is the cause of this and no, I have not change my driving style yet.

Any insight on this?
    As long as the oil level is between the two dots on the dipstick, it's nothing to be concerned about.

It's good to hear you're so aware of your car's oil status: most folks couldn't be bothered. (Yet another difference between those who drive Preludes and those who don't.)
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    That is true. I perform most maint. myself (on both of my prelude and my wifes). So, I check all fluid every other week and change/flush more frequently than the schedule.

If you want to have fun with a car, you got to know how to make it performs the best - at least that is my take.
    My S-03's are shot. There's some tread left and the dry and wet grip has really improved, but they act like waterskis in a downpour.

I've ordered a set of Bridgestone RE750 tires to see what they're like. Apparently, they're a bit more civilized than the S-03, and will wear beter (although I was able to eke 23K out of the S-03, but they became VERY noisy in the last 5K). At $105 a pop, they're certainly cheaper. With a 30-day test drive, I figure I can't go too wrong. After I get 'em installed on Tuesday, I'll let you know what they're like, in case anybody's interested.

If these don't work out, I'll probably snag a set of Dunlop's SP9000.
    What's everybody's take on the JDM Fog Lights? I think they look cool, but do they provide a significant difference as far as lighting goes?

No idea. I don't think they look all that good, personally.

S-03s are in. Oh my goodness. It's a different car! More later...

On an unrelated note, now that we are having the first truly hot days of summer, I'm noticing that if my car is left out in the sun and gets hot, when I start it the defroster light is on. If I turn up the AC for 15 minutes or so, suddenly it clicks itself off. Hmm.

Oh, and lastly - don't know where else to put it so -

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/news_030618_hon/

Honda's "Variable Cylinder Management" - we've seen this from other manufacturers before. The 3L V6 idles half its cylinders during cruising. I'm aware of 12-to-6 and 8-to-4 but never 6-to-3... sounds interesting.
    I'm don't really care for them, either. Then again, they do look a bit better then the NA fogs. Like Sphinx, I haven't a clue about differences in intensity or beam width.
    Well, I think I'm officially voting a CAI out. I do live on an island and many of the roadways are subject to flooding and large puddles.

I've been seeing a bunch of Cooper S' on the road and parked on the street. The most common color seems to be that Sterling Grey w/ a black roof which is nice. I saw a Red w/ Black roof that looks relly sharp and of course a Yellow w/ Black roof which is also cool.

The JDM fogs seem to be a bit on the expensive side. I'm seeing them sell for around the $350 range then I'd have to pay for installation. I think I'll keep my close to $500 thank-you very much:)

Today was gorgeous! I had both windows and sunroof open on the way home which was relatively traffic free. I love this car!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news23/

Good thing there never was a Honda Prelude Terminator Edition.
    Good - the S-03s are a revelation. I've had a chance to experiment a bit and am amazed by the change in character of the car. Generally they sound similar (sharper and yet muffled... hard to describe) but they feel stiffer. The car feels more planted and there is more feedback through the suspension. On cornering, there is one on-camber bank that I've taken often enough to have an idea of when the stock tires start to protest, and the S03s exceeded that mark by a few mph without even the slightest change in sound! And lastly I launched pretty hard at about 3500-4000rpm and there was absolutely no tire screech! OH - and finally - I haven't felt ABS click on once when I apply brakes on bumpy roads! These should be the stock tires! Highly recommended.

Bad - I saw a red S2000 on the road today and just felt my heart sink. sigh. Well, fiscal responsibility first, right? I really miss the HIDs...

Ugly - I went to the grocery store to get some supplies for a weekend picnic. When I came out of the grocery store and back to my car (one of many in a field of parked cars) I saw that someone had dumped a soda all over it. It didn't look too bad because it was nighttime and my car isn't white... but still. Talk about deflating. Fortunately my favorite touchless car was was literally two blocks away so just a few minutes later a high pressure water spray blew off the soda (dr. pepper I think) without the clearcoat incurring so much as a single swirl mark. Whew. I could rant about this for hours. Needless to say, I wish I knew what would drive people to do such [bleep].
    sphinx -- I'm glad you like the S-03's today, but just wait until they're more than half-worn and start making sounds like all four wheel bearings are shot. Ugh.

I probably had another 3,000 miles left on mine, but couldn't take the noise and hydroplaning anymore. I've only put 200 miles on the RE750's, but (so far) they are much more civilized and just as grippy as the S-03, and give up only a bit of steering response on the really tight stuff.

The S-03 is a great tire, no question about it, but it's overkill for most folks, myself included. For dodging orange cones, they might be ideal, but they aren't much good for long-haul commuting/driving.

I consider it a lesson learned.
    How are the RE750s in the rain? Do they hydroplane as much as the stockies or S0-3s? I try to avoid puddles when I can, but sometimes you can't move over, can't brake, you just have to grasp the wheel with both hands and hold on.

Wet grip and resistance to hydroplaning is as good as the S-03's when they were new. I'm hoping that the RE750 will hold on to that ability longer than the S-03's did, since they have a 340 treadwear rating (compared to 220 for the S-03).

If you're thinking of ditching your RE92's and want to take advantage of the Prelude's handling/ride balance, the RE750 might be your best bet.