Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    They'll be here just in time for the 50 degree weather we're going to have on Tuesday! So for now, the Prelude sits in a garage in The Bronx until this snow storm passes.

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

Well I mounted my snow tires on 15" Black steel wheels. I put my stock Type SH wheels & tires up in storage for the duration of the winter.

As far as looks go, it ain't pretty. It looks like I'm driving a car that somebody stole the hubcaps off of. Function over form works in this case.

As far as drivability in the white stuff, I can't comment too much because my snow tires arrived the day after our big storm here and the roads were pretty much cleared. I did park on a huge heap of solidified slushy muck (technical term) last night and while creeping back and forth noticed the wheels didn't break traction like the Stockies did last year.

The higher sidewalls make the cars road feel completely different. You can definitely feel the bumps are absorbed much better. Not a good thing for real Prelude driving, but It helps to know if you have to crash over a pothole you might come out unscathed.

Took my car in for an oil, filter change, & alignment today. There were actually 2 other Preludes parked by the service bay. At least he has friends to hang out with tonight. One of them was a Balck Beauty. The guy had Black Honda Emblems on the car (looked great).

Sphinx99: They had a Blue '04 S2000 in the showroom...WOW, what a beautiful machine:)

• sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Not sure how I feel about the emblems... I always thought the normal "stock" emblems were just fine, regardless of color! Except, the gold emblems on black definitely have some kind of panache... just not sure if it's the attractive kind.

Good to hear about the snow tires! What brand?

I'm quite in love with the S! The '04 is much easier to live with. Whereas the 2.0L didn't feel like it had that much more punch than the Prelude in the lower RPM range, the new 2.2L finally does. It's also quieter. Lastly the 17" rims really have changed the look of the car, I can't really go anywhere without it turning heads. The only downside are the tires, now Potenza RE050s which are not only worse than the S02s in the snow, they're even worse than the Prelude's RE92s :)

As I think I posted elsewhere dig this: 1000rpm, 2mph per hour, 1 inch of light fluffy snow and the rear and was spinning all over the place. Useless.

Blizzak LM22s in the stock '04 size are about $600 but I'm hoping to score a few 16" OEM S2000 tires used and wrap winter rubber around them. AFAIK, Prelude rims don't work which is too bad 'cuz I still have those three Type SH rims sitting in my closet. Thinking about selling 'em on eBay or something, they have curb rash but otherwise are in pretty good shape.

I'm missing the Prelude's stereo which didn't have a ton of juice but at least had "fidelity" and "soundstage" of sorts. The S2000's stock speakers start giving out at about 1/2 max volume.
    Oh, lastly, you know the carbon fiber dash kit that's available for the Prelude? I got it at some point from handaaccessories.com but only installed the center console pieces but not the door pieces. (These required disassembling the door, which I didn't want to do!) Anyway, should you (or others?) have the interest or werewithal to install the door panels which I still have tucked away in a bag, I'd be happy to ship 'em to NY as a holiday gift :)

Of course, they're not real carbon fiber :)
    SO you did buy the S! Congrats! The blue is awesome (as I stated before).

the snows I got are Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpin. They've got a 130mph speed rating and supposedly give nothing up to the standard Michelin Arctic Alpin as far as bad weather performance.

Neither tire is as good as Bilzzaks in Snow & ice, but are much easier to live with. Blizzaks are very tempermental. The multicell compound that makes them stick to snow and ice so well wears when the weather starts hitting the 50 degree mark. They make noise on the highway, after I believe about 40% or their treadlife, the multicell compund wears away and you're driving a regular all season tire.

I've never been a fan of gold emblems.

I'd love to run the Prelude as log as possible and pick up an E36 M3 as a weekend car in a few years:)

Yup, I switched a few weeks ago - check the S2000 thread for some observations. The '04 is a nicely refreshed version of the S2000 although some feel that it is a step backwards ("dumbed down") due to the engine change.

Good feedback on the Blizzaks... hmm.
    Well I picked up my car today with some fresh Mobil 1 and new door hinges. They squeaked during my last visit. I complained to the service manager that the grease they sprayed didn't help, so she ordered and installed new hinges for me (under warranty of course).

Getting back in my car was nothing short of wonderful after driving that rolling death trap of an '01 Accord DX (Auto, no ABS, no power accessories, no power, HELLO!) they gave me as a loaner car. I feel like Michael Knight driving a car that's not KITT when I drive the loaner. It was pretty slick out tonight after it rained most of the day here. The Pilot Alpins didn't slide through turns & corners like the RE92s do (a good thing). We're supposed to get snow this weekend so I'll give a full report.

I had the pleasure of meeting the guy who worked on my car. He seemed maybe in his early to mid 20's. He asked me a bunch of questions about it and told me how much he really loves Preludes. He seemed to think my car is in good shape and was shocked that I park it on the street every night in the city.

SPhinx99: I went back to the showroom to check out that Blue '04 S2K! That thing is really sweet. If you're still thinking of getting winter tires for it, definitely go with 4 tires and not just 2 on the rears. Your front tires still have to grip when the roads get slick. The S2K is light and needs all the help it can get.

Have any of you tried Zaino? I'm thinking of putting my first Zaino order at some point in the near future.
    I haven't tried it, but there are guys all over TH that swear by it. From what I understand (from reading) it is a very difficult product to work with. It takes a while to dry, but you can't let it dry too long otherwise it is a real pain to remove.

What'd you use on your Prelude & your '02 S2K? If what you used on the Silver was good, then use it on your Blue S2K. Why make extra work for yourself?

Sphinx99: What'd they give you at the dealership on your trade? Do you know what they're asking for it? Is it still on the lot? Just curious!

So as we all know, Prelude sightings are few and far between. On 2 consecutive nights, I spotted 2 Preludes driving my way. Friday night was a White Type SH with some sort of ground effects kit, exhaust, and what looked to be like some sort of hyper-white bulbs. I flashed and honked when he passed me. He flashed some sort of strobe lights back my way with an air horn honk. Last night I passed a Blue base model who gave me the thumbs up after I honked and waved.

My post was nuked by the Righteous Hand of Shiftright. I guess we can't post links to other auto sites? (Yikes.)

Anyway -

I just want to try Zaino to see what the hype is about. I've been content with Meguires for a few years now... it's easily purchased at local auto stores.

I got 17k for the Prelude... it's being advertised for 18.5k now. (Not sure if linking to the dealership also violates the policy... I'll err toward the side of caution.)
    with Meguire's, then stick with it! I'm sure the Zaino turns out great, but how much better I really don't know.

17K from the dealership isn't too bad. You had over 30K miles on the car right?

What did you decide to do as far as winter wheels/tires on your S2000?