Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• Thanks a lot himiler and nyccarguy. Really is a big help. I think im going to go with the prelude. Hopefully i can get a good deal on an SH, either way i'll most likely go with the prelude. Thanks again.
  • Few years ago, I was thinking of replacing my 92 lude. I tested the 325i, it did not impress me a bit. Actually, my lude performs better than that bimmer and in the end I keep my lude.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    billy, while I have a type SH (as does Sphinx99), you'll probably be able to find a better deal on a base model.

shmang: While I love the my Prelude as much as the next guy (himiler & sphinx99) on the board, it probably has to do with the low volume of posts or repetitive posts with little or no volume on other Prelude posts. There's a thread about the Prelude long term, well, you can talk about the prelude Long Term on this thread...

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• My 222,000 miles 92 lude failed the emission test. It costed me 160 clams to replace the catalyst converter.
    Is it a normal time for the cat to go belly up??
  • Just curious, cause im going to the dealer next week.. Is the SH worth it. My brother has a 2000 prelude without the sh. Just curious about the suspension. Does it seem to stiff at some points,, cause my brothers car seems a little stiff and thats just the base model.. I tend to drive pretty aggresive when im in the mood So im debating if the sh is better suited for me.any ideas. Im looking to spend around 12-14 thousand if that helps .Really Appreciate the feedback..Thanks.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Actually, if you tend to drive really aggressively most of the time, you're better off buying the base Prelude and getting a Quaife limited-slip dif. installed. The LSD runs ~$895 from http://www.kingmotorsports.com and any Honda shop should be willing and able to install it for you (install charges usually run anywhere from $450-700, depending on the shop).

The Quaife will give you most of the advantages of the ATTS in the SH (although you won't have the SH's second steering link), and also gives you a traction benefit on hole shots and on low-traction surfaces.

I had mine installed 5 months after I bought my car, and it has performed flawlessly. The Quaife carries a lifetime warranty, even if you use it in competition. http://www.quaifeusa.com

It's also worth noting that there is a better selection of aftermarket parts available for the base model than the SH (suspension bits in particular), just because the ATTS unit can be tricky to tune around. That was my primary consideration in choosing the base over the SH.

FYI--Not to knock the SH, but the ATTS unit is also heavy (~80lbs.), does require periodic service, and tends to give warning lights if you spin the tires alot on slippery surfaces.
    plus as I said before, a base model will be easier to find. Also, the insurance will be cheaper.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I think I'm one of the few who had the benefit of owning both -- I leased a base 5MT; when the lease was over, I stepped "up" to a Type SH. In terms of road feel, the Type SH feels only slightly stiffer. The difference is mostly imperceptible. Likewise, I honestly cannot say that the Type SH's extra weight has made it feel any slower than my old Prelude did. The Type SH does come with body-colored side skirts that, surprisingly, had an enormous visual impact on the look of the car...

Really, it's about exclusivity and ATTS. On the latter, when ATTS kicks in for those few brief seconds, the car feels like it's worth the premium. I sometimes feel that nobody believes me when I say that my SH actually seems to corner better (without losing traction) than my S2000 on tight corners. The flip side is that as I get older, I feel less and less inclined to push the car *that* hard, simply because by the time ATTS is kicking in, you're probably doubling or tripling the posted speed limit on that curve. ATTS really is useless on public roads unless you are planning to break some traffic laws.

Exclusivity has its value too I suppose. The Prelude is a relatively exclusive and unknown car in many parts of the country; here in Detroit a 5th gen is as rare as a Viper, and I get all sorts of questions about it. A Type SH is even rarer. A satin silver (only available in '01) SH is still harder to find. It's possible that there are only a couple hundred satin silver Type SHs in the world, maybe just two or three in all of Michigan. I'll pretty much never see another one on the road. I know it's silly, there's no performance or financial justification for such things, but it's still something that puts a smile on my face. In a similar vein, I've noticed that those who do know Preludes regard Type SHs a bit differently... with the base, you never know whether one on the road is a SS or 5-speed, but the Type SHs are pretty much an enthusiast-only car, so on those rare occasions where you see another one, there's a fair amount of honking, light flashing, etc.
    ...so you never know if the base model is a 5 speed or a SS...or if it has a JRSC, or a turbo, or a LSD. I'm just happy to see another Prelude.

At this point, getting ANY G5 Prelude has its own kind of exclusivity, if that's an important consideration for someone.

One of the advantages of a Quaife over ATTS is that you don't have to push the car to experience its benefits.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    220K for a catalytic is over the normal lifespan, so you have no complaints there.

I know it has been out for a while, but I still chuckle when I see that commercial for the Acura CL Type S when the guy buys the house simply because of the ultra-twisty road you have to take to get to it. My girlfriend always says, "that's definitely you and your Prelude."

So we're supposed to go to her cousin's wedding at the end of march and she says to me, "if you want we can all go in 1 car either (a) with my parents or (b) my brother and sister-in-law. I told her we're going with option c, my Prelude.

• Yeah, I like that commercial too.

Nothing better to take your mind off a long day at work than to floor it on a twisty on-ramp...
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I like that commercial too. Too bad it wasn't a Prelude. Did Honda ever advertise this car? I only have a few scans of magazine ads (am happy to email them to anyone who can post 'em and include links here).
  • could you post them? that would be cool to check out
    There was a TV ad for the Prelude when the 5th Gens were introduced. It showed a toy hula dancer dancing on the dash of a San Marino Red Type SH, which was driving along a very twisty road. At the end of the commercial the toy hula dancer blew up (apparently from too much shaking) and the narrator said something to the effect of "The new Honda Prelude, choose your accessories carefully."

• shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Recently, when the weather is cold, I feel it is hard to engage 1st gear sometimes - regardless of engine temp. even at a dead stop. Have anyone had this problem? It just started this year (My car is a '99 with 55K on it). Any solution for that?
    You might need to change-out your tranny fluid, particularly if it hasn't been done in a while. Otherwise, a sticky first-gear synchro is nothing major to worry about when it's really cold outside.

That said, if you are hearing of feeling any grinding or garunching when you shift, you should definately get it checked out asap.
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    The fluid might be the reason - Since I have never done a tranny fluid change since new. I do not have any grinding or anything like that - it just is not going into gear and I feel the resistance. Normally, I just put it to neutral/2nd gear and then shift it back to 1st, it will goes right in just as normal.

Thanks for the quick response, himiler!
    No problemo. Sounds like a simple fluid swap will do the trick.
  • Every Honda Ive owned has had this problem, and granted, Ive never changed the transmission oil. But there isnt any grinding, just a resistance, you shift back to neutral, and then it goes into first easily. Let us know if changing the tranny fluid does the trick.