Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• elbeeelbee Posts: 2
    My first tensioner started rattling at 52K, the second one at 40K. The morons at the dealer didn't get it right until the 3rd try.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,546
    July has been a busy month for my Prelude. Since July 1st, I've logged over 2000 miles on it. We took it on a Westchester County (NYC suburb) to Pittsburgh, PA trip over July 4th weekend. Over 800 miles round trip. During one leg of the trip, I actually got 30 mpg while the speedo was hanging out north of the 80 mph mark with the AC blowing and no Cruise Control on.

Who says Preludes are impractical? This past week, my wife and I loaded up the Prelude with one full set of golf clubs, 2 rolling suit cases (like the kind Greg Focker tried to stuff in the overhead compartment), a few small duffel bags, and 2 folding beach chairs for a 3 day trip from our Apartment in Westchester to Cape Cod, Mass. I did 27mpg driving between 75mph & 90 mph.

I hit 50,000 miles last night on my way home from Cape Cod.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    Still going strong, it seems like the car has broken in fairly well seeing your excellent gas mileage. These are too much fun to drive, and at the same time makes for an excellent daily driver.
    for the break-in, I just varied my speed and didn't floor it (no VTEC) for the first 1000 miles (that was painful). Most tanks I get between 22 & 24 mpg on a mix of 70/30 highway/city driving.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• booherjcbooherjc Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 93-97 honda prulude, but before i do I want to buy a more high powered engine and rebuild it so that when I get the car I can just drop The engine in... So, I was wondering if there is a V6 or anything of higher power than the stock engine that will fit in a 93-97 prelude with minimal modification needed to fit in the engine compartment. Thanks in advance for you time...
    How high powered of an engine are you looking for? You could buy a JDM H22A crate motor or find a motor from a crashed S2000 and supercharge it. A V6 of somesort would weigh the car down and throw off the balance. What are you going to do with the car?

• Since a V6 will throw the balance of the car off then I guess I'm looking for a high powered V4, and that JDM H22A looks like a nice engine. I'm not really looking to turn the car into anything special, just a fast everday car. Maybe drag it once and a while but nothing to big. So, which engine would you prefer in your prelude? and would you prefer supercharge or turbo? Thanks
  • hello, i own a 93 prelude VTEC that i purchased new off the showroom floor. i've got 152,000 miles and still absolutely love my car.

any other 93 VTEC owners out there? what kind of ownership experience have you had so far? have you replaced your timing belt once or twice? (i've only replaced mine once at about 85K so i'm thinking i might be due again...)
    '93 VTEC is a great car! I'd replace the timing belt every 60K miles (especially with the high revving characteristics of the H22A).

You're better off looking for a '93-'96 Prelude VTEC. Just try and find one that hasn't been modified. That might be a better option than a JDM engine. Supercharging the engine will give you more low-end torque and it is a bolt-on modification that can be done (by a professional) somewhat easily. Turbocharging the H22A engine requires a lot of work and can cost upwards of 10 grand to have the job done right.

I'm not really into modifying my car. If I'm going to spend a few thou on it, I'd rather just get something new.

• Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forums, I'm 17, and in the chicago suburbs area. I got a 93 300zx twin turbo when I turned 16, and drove it for about a year, then my engine started to knock and my engine pretty much blew. I had to get a daily driver/reliable car....
    Last week I saw a dark blue..maybe midnight blue? not sure of the technical color honda gave it, 1994 prelude S. I didn't know what kind of prelude it was bc the back of it didn't say anything but just Prelude, and it was from a small dealership. The outside was in great condition, no dings or cracks or anything. The inside was in MINT condition, the engine...oh wow, clean and quiet when idle, clean condition as well. I drove it and it drove so awesome! The car had 86,700 miles on it, I figured for an 11 year old car, it was really good to only have that many miles. For a honda it was barely being broken in. I loved how the car looked, since I'm going to go for a r33 body conversion along with the taillights. I bought the car last week for $4,900, then with taxes and title, it was about $5,400.. I got home and saw that the engine type was a f22 I believe...so I was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't an h22, or an Si. I'm working on speed and performance on my 300zx, as I'll be upgrading to ball bearing twin turbos on it next spring. My daily driver and show car will be the lude I just got. Does $5,400 seem reasonable for the lude I got? I know an S is only pushing about 130-135 horse, and the Si's do about 180-200? I'm used to driving 355 whp, (dyno on my 300zx) My 300zx is manual too, and the lude is automatic, which is fine for winter driving. Is there anything I can do beside those 3,000-5,000 dollar turbo kits, or a 1,500 dollar H22 engine swap, that'll give me about 200-250 Horsepower, and still be reasonable? Also...
    I've been looking at which exhausts to get on my lude, and I notice HKS doesn't really have any for it, I've stuck with hks for all my parts on my 300, but I'm thinking about getting the apexi N-1, they got for about $500? I've noticed that they advertise it to be pretty quiet. I'm more of a fan for loud exhausts, would I have to rely on a nice AEM intake, in order to make my lude pretty loud? or is there any recommendation as to which exhaust I should get? Thanks, well, I'm 17, and I suppose the automatic transmission doesn't really help the car when it comes to exhaust sounds, but I hope someone can help me out with getting my lude running like I know a prelude can :-) Been enjoying driving it, rides like a dream. I just installed an alpine cd player on it, bc the honda stock stereo really sucked hehe. For now, I just want a nice loud and nice looking exhausts, and intake. If anyone can help me, I'd greately appreciate it, thanks.
  • jmac7jmac7 Posts: 1
    hey guys

I'm so happy, only because i'm picking up my new 2000 Prelude Sh tomorrow. I'm looking forward to driving it on the highway and opening up the Vtec. I've been reading your posting guys and everyone seems really happy as a matter of fact thrilled with their Prelude-that's awesome to see guys.
    You'll be very happy with your new ride. What color are you getting? How many miles are on the car? What are you paying for it? Are you buying it from a private party or a dealer?

The wife calls me at work the other day and says she needs me to make a Costco & Stew Leonard's (grocery store) run on my way home. I tell my Dad (who is also my boss) where I'm going. His response was: "Is Rebecca meeting you there?" Me: "No, Why?" Dad: "I'm just wondering how you're going to fit all that stuff into your car."

My Dad likes to pick on my Prelude because of its relatively dimunitave size.

Now granted it is only my wife and I in the house, but I fit a whole lot of stuff in my car among the sea of SUVs and Minivans at the Costco Parking lot. In the trunk I put 2 - 2.5Gal cases of Water, I case of Bottled water, I case of Propel, Case of Garabge bags, Package of chicken... Damn impressive for a small car.

Not too many people post anymore, I like to keep whoever's watching updated about my car. I came about 12 hours away from getting rid of it. Not because I don't still love it, but because I want a new BMW 325i sooooooooo bad. So many people ask, why a BMW? Because they are the only car I'd be able to drive that will outhandle my Prelude. So much else out there isn't right. I decided to keep the Prelude because I decided that I couldn't afford the lease payments (well I could, but it would be stretching it).

My 2001 Milano Red Prelude Type SH currently has 51,900 miles on it. I'm going to have to put a new Exhaust system on it. The stock one flew off when I hit a pothole a few years ago. I was able to salvage the stock muffler. The welding of the new pipe to the stock muffler (which is bent from that said pothole) is starting to rust through. It sounds terrible. Can anybody make any suggestions on a quiet aftermarket exhaust? I know the Mugen exhasut is great, but I'm not spending $1000 on an exhaust.

I'm also going to have to replace the horrible Bridgestone Potenza RE92s (finally). Since I run a set of steel wheels on Michelin PA2 Alpin Tires duriong the winter, my Prelude's new summer shoes will be some serious High Performance Rubber.

• timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    I keep up with your post, I enjoying reading your posts! I can't help you with your muiffler, but I have heard good things about the RE750's. Ultra high performance tire, decent price on tirerack too. I think as soon as my re92's die off I'll get those. I'm still enjoying my prelude, I'm up to 19k now. It's my daily now till winter comes. One thing about Honda's, the more you drive em, the better they run!
    Side note, Honda won the Manufacturer's Championship in the IRL yesterday. Second in a row for them. Flip side, not doing so hot in F1 this year. Maybe they'll pick it up, if not this year; next. Keep em coming people...
  • Hello everyone! im new to the forum and actually dont even own a prelude. However, i have been in love with the cars for years and am seriously looking into buying one. I actually found a '98 Prelude SH. It only has 62,000 miles on it and the interior and exterior look great. the previous owner added leather but that's all. On the other hand he said that he has had the bumpers and the side panels replaced due to slight accidents. All of the work was done at honda dealerships and he still has all of the documents to prove it. Currently i am setting it up to have my mechanic check the car out to see if the accidents have done any serious damage and if the rest of the car is in sound condition.

I heard from one mechanic that the newer model preludes have alot of problems. he said that although they are Hondas and have that reputation, they just werent built as well. I was wondering if anyone has a 98 Lude and has had any major problems or if you all think that this would be a good car to buy if the mechanic gives it the ok (despite the previous damage-which has been all fixed and is not at all noticable). I look forward to your advise and responses. Thanks!
    HOw much is the owner asking for the car? I really can't think of any MAJOR problems the fifth generation Preludes had. Make sure the timing belt has been changed. A few people have said their timing belt tensioner has failed prematurely. Look on edmunds to find the TSBs issed by Honda for the Prelude. What kind of damage was done in the accidents? Was there any frame damage or just cosmetic?

• I have a 98 SH that currently has around 77k miles. I bought it new.

I replaced the tires twice. Still on the original brakes. 1 new battery.

The only problem I have had was with the timing belt tensioner at around 45k. Honda picked up around 1/2 of the repair costs.

Still looks and drives great. I get around 25 mpg in my daily driving without treating it like a baby.

Best car I have ever owned. :)
  • Thanks for replying to my message. From what we saw when looking at the car the damage was only minor damage that was fixed by replacing bumpers and body panels. It was all fixed promptly and looks excellent now. WHen we take the car to a mechanic we will be sure to ask if there was any major damage done to the engine/suspension/frame. But as far as i know it was nothing that serious.

The timing belt was replaced about 2 months ago as well as the autotensioner. A new battery was also installed-- all done at honda dealerships. The tires are brand new z-rated BFG's and look great. The radiator was also replaced as a result of one of the accidents. That was the worst damage a belive.

THe owner is asking around 12,000 but we talked to him about the accidents and previous history and he said that he was very flexible. So that price will probably go down quite a bit. I think that this is an excellent car im just curious about what you all think about it from what im telling you. I will also get my mechanics opinion. Thanks guys- and keep writing!
  • Check post #26514 on the Real-World Trade-In Values Board.

The host gave me a retail value of $9,000 to $9,500 on my 98 SH.
    is very unrealistic for a '98. I have an '01 SH that the host on real world trade in values told me I could sell for mid $13K range.

• Yeah i agree with all of you about the 12,000 asking price. I talked with the seller today and he was flexible and willing to go lower. I think that he thought that it was just in such great condition that he would ask for alot more than its worth. Thanks for all of your help guys!
  • blacktalonblacktalon Posts: 203
    I've had my 2001 Prelude for five years (38K miles) and the only problem I've had is that, in year 3, the rubber moulding around the windshield started to get a little loose and made a whistling sound at speeds over 70 mph. This was fixed under warranty at a dealership with no cost and no hassles.

That's it.

(Oh, and once the check engine light went on. I reset the fuse and it didn't happen again.)

Based on my experience, I highly recommend the reliability of the fifth-gen Prelude.
  • if you're interested in an unsolicited tire opinion, i had a pair of RE92s several years back on my 93 VTEC. most awful tires for cornering i've had on the car. every time i went around a corner with any speed (even 20 - 30 mph) the tires would squeal all the way through the intersection. people would look at me as though i must be doing 70 through the turn, which of course i wasn't.

for the last 2 years i've had a pair of Dunlop SP Sport 5000s on the prelude, which are fantastic. great tire for cornering, accelerating, and very hydroplane resistant from my experience. i fell in love with the handling of my car all over again once i put these shoes on!

my 2cents...
  • Hi,

re 93 Prelude 4WS Si: I had the timing best changed and my Prelude is running smoothly. Took it to a local guy and I am very impressed--$737 and he even changed air conditioner belt among others. Question: I'm looking for a cold air intake for the '93, but can't find many choices. I DON'T want one that locates low and behind the bumper as I don't want to risk getting water into the beautiful engine. I want it located higher and have a good heat shield. As I'm new to Preludes, I am asking for any suggestions!
    I'm a little under 8,000 miles away from changing my timing belt (my '01 SH has about 52K right now).

I'm not too keane on engine mods, but the purpose of a Cold Air Intake is it's positioning low and behind the bumper. There is where the air comes in and is less affected by the engine's heat as compared to the stock air box. THat's why I've never put a CAI on my car because it floods a lot where I live.

There are a few things you can do: Instead of a Cold Air Intake, you can install a Short Ram Intake. It is the same principle, but positioned higher in the engine compartment. You can also install a Cold Air Intake with a Blow Off valve.

I waxed my car the other day. It really brought the shine back to my Milano Red '01 Prelude Type SH. I was shocked at the amount of dead paint lifted up on the wax applicator.

I'm leaning towards Apex World Sport as the cat back exhaust system for my car. Right now it really sounds awful.

I still love my Prelude and think we're going to keep it for a few more years. Maybe I can convince my wife that it would be cheaper for me to have a Jackson Racing Supercharger installed on my car than go and lease a new $35,000 325i:)

• I often hear people mentioning their timing belt on this site, so I was wondering about mine. How would I go about checking mine? Are there any specific signs of wear that I should look for? I've got about 74,400 miles on my '99 Prelude, but I don't when or if it's been changed. Thanks for any help
    You have 74,400 miles now, how many were on the car when you bought it? Rule of thumb is to change the timing belt every 60K miles whether it needs it or not.