Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,536
    You replaced your stock tires with other stock tires....ARGH! Next time go with a set of Z rated performance tires. I've got 4 Yokohama AVS ES100 tires on my Prelude as its summer shoes right now. I noticed the difference in handling immediately.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Well I'm glad your service came out great! With honda's, if you change your oil regularly(I use synthetic) your engine will always be clean. With all that service your car is like new.

Honda's are known to keep that "tight" feeling for years and years. Some of the best cars on the planet. But some of these new honda's and their mission, we'll just have to see. I would like to get my hands someday on a 06 BMW M3! The last year before they do a FMC. I've hear on the bimmer boards that alot of the people aren't too keen on some of the pictures coming out on the change. But I'll take the 06 M3. For now it's all Prelude. I'll always keep this car, no matter what other cars I get. It's a keeper ;)
    So I had my latest accessory installed tonight. It won't make me go any faster, corner any better, or make my car more aerodynamically sound...it is my Peg Perego car rear facing car seat base. They give a class every 1st Tuesday night of the month at the Police Station. After a brief (and very informative) lecture on child safety in the car, they actually install the car seat for you so it fits right. The lady teaching joked she would need a few drinks and the jaws of life to get into the back of my car to install the seat base. It took her all of 2.5 minutes to fit it securely in the back of my car. "Easiest car I've done all night." she proclaimed.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Hondas of recent years haven't really "done it" for me either. I remember my sister had a '95 Accord EX. It was light, handled well (thank-you double wishbones), had ample room & a well crafted interior. So it wasn't a speed demon. I think a new Civic has the same interior space of my sister's old accord. Like all cars, Hondas have gotten bigger and heavier. I used to be a "Honda Guy." Besides the S2000, I don't know of any Honda I'd buy if I were looking right now.

I dig BMWs. They are such phenomenal driving cars. BMWs are the only cars that could replace my Prelude (imho) as far as having superior driving dynamics. Even the new 3 series is too soft for me. I can only hope for maybe a 2 series coupe with a Turbocharged 4 banger.

• Yeah I'm with you, I am a honda guy but lately I haven't been too thrilled with their offerings. Like you the s2000 is the only car out of all their vehicles (honda and acura) that would interest me. And I'm too tall to fit in a s2000, oh how I tried lol.
    But for guys like us, BMW is the only real other car company that really interest us. I've always thought of Honda as the little BMW. Honda has been known as having fun driving cars that are not expensive as BMW.
    I agree most cars today are getting too big, WAAAY too much techky stuff, disappearing manual transmissions, it all disguest me. That's why I'm keeping my good ole cars for now, until somebody wakes up and realizes that there are some people out there that wants a performance vehicle that is not too heavy, only has a cd changer in the dash. Like we said the s2000 is just this. The simple pleasures inside but the greatest effort goes into the performance. Awww how I wish for the days.
    "We" (The American Consumer) demand our cars be safer, roomier, technologically advanced, & faster. Adding safety equipment adds weight. Making cars bigger inside means adding weight. To cope with the added weight, you beef up the suspension (adding more weight). To make the car go faster you usually add some liters to the engine (more weight). So you end up with a car that is marketed as all new with X amount of horsepower, but it ends up not being that much better to drive than its predecessor.

BMW did a great job by keeping the weight pretty close between the new E90 3 series & the old E46 3 series. But that comes with a price. The E90 BMW is going to be that much more costly to fix with all that aluminum in the front.

FWIW, I like driving the E46 much better than the new E90. The E90 is a nice car, but too soft for my tastes.

• i am about to purchuse my first car and i was looking to a prelude and i really dont know that much about them cuz i really dont know many ppl who have them so i was wondering about what kind of power, and speed to expect and how it adapts to mods such as cai, exhaust and turbo
  • Hey NYC,

everything still on track for your little one? good luck and bring a camcorder!

to answer a question from sometime back:

i definitely don't want to sell my prelude but i don't know that it will be able to be used for a 22 mile each way highway / city commute for too much longer. the civic si sedan might be a fun but economical car that could allow the prelude to hang on as a third car for a couple more years. if i get to test drive one, i'll definitely post my impressions.

whatever happened to the h22 engine that was used in the prelude? did it "evolve" into the 2.0 liter engine used in the civic si? seems strange that such a good engine (one of ward's ten best engines for a bunch of years) would just dissipate into oblivion...

how much does the 97 - 01 prelude weigh? i'm still getting right at 30 mpg average. last tank was 30.4 actually....

atob

1993 brittany blue green metallic prelude vtec
  • preludefan,

i know exactly what you mean about taking the shoes off first! we've had to do that as well. there have been a handful of occasions that wife and our 5 and 2 yr olds have piled in the prelude and driven 30 minutes or so. fortunately, i'm usually driving so it's my wife whose knees have to eat the passenger airbag for the duration.

regarding the clutch, i too replaced mine early at about 60k miles or so. the clutch was actually fine, but the third gear had some premature teeth wear. while they had the tranny apart i opted to have the clutch replaced so i wouldn't have to do it later. this was in 1997!

enjoy the ride,
    atob
    Everything is still on track for nyccarguy jr. The wife is 2cm dialated as of this AM. Her due date is next Thursday. I don't think she'll last that long. Maybe this weekend! I'm so excited!

I understand if you are thinking of parting ways with your Prelude. The Civic Si sedan would definitely be a viable alternative. LSD, sharp handling, Avante Garde styling... it would definitely be worth a test drive.

I know that the curb weight for my car (Type SH) is 3042lbs. The base model comes in at under 3K pounds.

• is there a new prelude enthusiast out there yet? hope everything is going well.

my sis-in-law just had a baby earlier this week, on 9/11 of all days....

aabb
    His due date is today. We went to the Dr. this AM and the wife is still 2 cm dialated. Anytime between now and next Friday.

Congrats on being an Uncle!

We actually have a very close friend who lost her husband on 9/11 (he was a friend of ours too). We visited them 2 weeks ago. I taught her 16 year old daughter to drive my car. She had just gotten her permit a few days earlier. Took her to a parking lot. She launched the car perfectly on the first shot! She also has another daughter who is becoming a Bat-Mitzvah at the end of the month and twin 9 year old boys.

My wife's cousin's birthday is 9/11. He was also in London the day of the train bombings and returning home from Italy (via London) the day they arrested all those terrorists.

My son was born September 23, 2006. He's a very healthy 9lbs 4oz & 22" long.

• Let me be the first to send my congraulations! He's a healthy boy alright at 9lbs. Here's to many healthy and lifelong memories. :)
  • I am trying to find a replacement engine for my 99 Honda Prelude SH. This is proving to be impossible. The number on the engine block is as follows: H22A4 3500124.
    If someone knows where I can find an engine please let me know!!!!
    How many miles are on the car? What happened that you need a new engine? I know there are companies that sell JDM H22A motors, just try and google Prelude Engine.

• ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Congratulations on the big boy, nyccarguy!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Way to go NYCCARGUY. That's one big boy! Enjoy the experience.

-Preludefan
  • The car has 84k on it.
    My mechanic found an the same engine with 90k on it just today. Not exactly what I was looking for in miles, however at this point it's acceptable.
    I would like to add that I did a google search and found an engine through All Japanese Engines of Orlando. Or so I thought. I talked to the guy there and purchased this same engine. He sent it, and 3 weeks after the day it was supposed to arrive, I finally got it only to find it was the wrong engine. The guy I was dealing with, Alex, said they didn't know how that happened but after sending him pictures of both engines side by side, he said he didn't have the engine I was looking for. He told me to have it ready the next day to be picked up and 1 1/2 weeks later it still was sitting in the shop. Finally got it picked up a week ago, and my money has yet to be returned. Will NEVER deal with AJEO again.
    So hopefully all will work out with this other engine.
  • The wrong engine was sent again. My mechanic got to looking into it, and what he says is that this car came straight from Japan, and it's not going to be possible to find an engine for it here. I'll have to buy one from Japan for $4,000 plus shipping. Does ANYONE have any help they can offer? I'm at wits end here. I'm a 22 yr. old college student working part time. I can't freakin afford this. I am open to any suggestions!
    But if it were my car (yes, even my beloved Prelude), I'd be looking for a different one rather than putting a new engine in the car.

Have you thought of selling your car on ebay (either whole or parts). Myabe you could find a buyer who wants to turn it into a race car or drift car. For instance: The dealer gets $350 for one Prelude OEM rim, even if you sell four rims for $200 a piece, that's a grand in your pocket.

I don't know what to tell you. Even if your car has no engine, it is still worth something. Rims like I said before, headlight casings, suspension parts, seats, steering wheel, air bags, body panels. It might not be easy, but it sounds like you're having a heckuva time finding a new engine.

What happened that you need a new engine anyway? Were you racing or did the timing belt go before you had a chance to replace it? We're definitely not here to scald you, just learn from what happened to your poor Prelude.

• hi everybody im a recent buyer of an older prelude 90 and have a few ?s does anyone no much about them/
  • ive owned an old accord 86 is there much that is close to being the same the lude is aws 2.0 si
  • well if u no what i mean the engines are nothing alike but the body shape is close i was just wandering if anyone could tell me if i made a good investment got it cheap and replaced the radiator and it runs great havent driven it much yet still checkin it over for potential probs
  • Well, I did a really stupid thing. I co-signed for a friend. Life lesson learned. Anyhow, apparently he thought it was a race car. Guess he just drove it like an [non-permissible content removed]. The rod went through the block. When that happened he was on the highway, and instead of calling a tow-truck, he had somebody in a pickup just push the car off the highway. The rear bumper is all jacked up now. Plus as some point the car was air-borne and the front bumper came off as a result, and the undercarriage is all scraped up. The clutch is shot (he got a new one in it 1 month after purchasing the car, and it needs another now), and the calipers are gone as well as the front tires. So yeah, I'm stuck with this now.
    I'm going to see if I can't get out of it as-is at least half of what I owe, but my mechanic said he can try to re-build the engine. I'm hoping he'll be able to do that, and then I can just get rid of the damn thing.
    Checking in today with over 75,400 miles! I just picked the Prelude up from service where I had an oil change & tire rotation done as well as 2 minor problems. I heard a loud buzzing from the passenger door when I would lock the power door locks. This was diagnosed by my dealer as a faulty actuator that needed to be replaced. There has also been an annoying grinding noise coming from underneath my car at around 2700-3100 RPM. Ther dealer found a bad exhaust shield that had rotted and replaced it.

THey had to order the parts, so I got to keep the loaner car they gave me for almost the whole week. an '06 Accord LX. I think it has the same engine as the new CRV. It had some pep to it, drove smoothly, and seemed very well put together.

It was nice to get back into my Prelude with its low driving position, tight steering, Sirius Radio, and oh did I miss my 5 speed!

After a few years of not being too crazy about them, Hondas are really starting to catch my eye again.

The new CRV is really nice. I dig the looks and really liked the interior of the one I sat in at the dealership. Gets decent good mileage and comes loaded to the gills with leather, 4WD, & navigation for $28,000 sticker. Have you checked out what some used CRVs are going for, their resale values are insane!

On the other hand, the Accord I drove really begs the "do I really need an SUV" question. It was roomy, comfortable, had a massive trunk, & you get a 240 horsepower V6 for a similar price as the above mentioned CRV.

If something disastrous were to happen to my beloved Prelude, I'd take a hard look at the Civic Si sedan.

I'd also have to give the '07 ALtima a look. Supposedly they drive much sportier than the Accord.

• I think honda needs this next accord to be a "looker" or else they will continue to experience loss of sales. I agree the cars technical abilities and handling etc are still that good ole honda feel. So you like the CRV eh? It seems like they did go upscale with it somewhat. It'll be interesting to see what Honda/Acura will come out with as far as real sporty cars in the next few years. That's what I'm MOST interested in.
    Well the holidays are rolling around once again (Hanukkah comes before Xmas this year) and I've decided to get front and rear sway bars for my Prelude. The only thing that is holding me back is the color of the bars. I like the car to look stock. Even my Apexi World Sport exhaust tip is a little too big for me, but it sounds good. I wanted to sway bars in black. The company that makes them for my car (Type SH) come in GREEN! GREEN! YUCK! I know I won't have to look at it, but come on!

• I am considering buying a fifth gen Honda Prelude soon. I've read all the Honda tech specs for the car and I know the HP and torque #'s and the weight and such. What I'm looking for is some inside advise. What is the performance potential for the Prelude? Reliability needs to be key as this will be my daily driver. But what can I do? How much HP, can I get a H22A to 250 or 300 and still be reliable. How about turbo's or superchargers. I'm trying to stay away from nitrous. Can the suspension be upgraded to handle occasional autocross events? Are there any problems I should know about like a weak manual tranny or such? Also base model or SH. I know the SH has the ATTS, but many forums I've read say save the weight and go base model, anything will help. I'm 24 so I don't have gobs of cash to throw away, but I plan on keeping the car and slowly upgrading. Thanks for any info.