Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• lulu9lulu9 Posts: 154
    I was not aware of this EITHER--about alloy wheels scratching easily. One of Tire Rack's recommended installers is actually a place where I (and my parents) have purchased tires before in the town where I live. So that's comforting. It's a small, independently-run tire/auto repair shop. But I have no idea what type/kind of equipment they use. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and trust that this job is in capable hands. (Now I'm going to be looking for scratches!)
    I have been to Sparks--that is a fabulous steak house. There is no better treat than a finely prepared steak or prime rib! This was part of a wonderful date--Sparks and then Phantom of the Opera--with a man who eventually broke my heart (there's usually one, right?):cry: A Federal Agent...definitely not the settling down type. Can't say that I've been to Scores though--any location! :blush: although I've been invited a few times interestingly enough.

Sounds like a great night out with the boys!

Men hate to be late--definitely a Guy Thing! 80 in 3rd--Wow! Now that's seriously cooking! :D With your Apexi exhaust, your car must sound lean and mean! I would love that! The manual/5-speed Prelude rocks. I can't imagine owning a performance car in an automatic because you can't shift--and that's such an integral part of the experience! (And it's so easy to learn.)
  • timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, new high performance tires with some suspension tightening :) I'd like to do that on my Prelude as well someday, once I recover from that divorce! Please keep us informed, I enjoy reading your posts.
    Hmmm do I see an s2k in your future :P As far as driving a manual trans car, it can't be beat IMO. I follow the manual transmission thread here on Edmunds, there are a few of us diehards left after all.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, new high performance tires with some suspension tuning :) I'd like to do that on my Prelude as well someday, once I recover from that divorce! Please keep us informed, I enjoy reading your posts.
    Hmmm do I see an s2k in your future :P As far as driving a manual trans car, it can't be beat IMO. I follow the manual transmission thread here on Edmunds, there are a few of us diehards left after all.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,567
    Go with your gut and outfit your Prelude with a set of Pilot Exaltos. Make sure you get the performance Exaltos and not the All Season (marked AS). You'll be very happy!

Go with the OEM (stock) tire size 205/50 R16.

My snow tires are actually SMALLER 195/60 R15.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I'm hoping to get them mounted tomorrow, if not then definitely by next week!

You've got an open invitation to come and drive my car. Saturday afternoons (after work) and Sundays are when the car sits.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• tpapreludetpaprelude Posts: 1
    Hi all. I have a '97 Prelude I am looking to sell and all of the Honda Techs suggest there is a group of folks who like to buy them and deck them out like you are discussing. How might I find those folks in the Tampa Florida area?
    Thanks for giving me that little "push" to go all out with the Pilot Exaltos. One can only hope that the $60 each price difference is worth it. I had to chuckle at your choice of word, "outfit,"...now that's a man who's speaking my language! ;)

Also, thank you for confirming the size. Got it.

I am definitely going to take you up on your offer and check out your car one of these weekends.
    Divorce is a brutal financial hit for most people. But (based on your photo), you're young enough to start over and get on your feet again, which you will. And you're free to get on with your life! Sadly, I have a few friends who are unhappily married but stay married because neither partner wants to take the financial hit--so they're in agreement on that. Talk about living life in quiet desperation though! Ugh! That's an awful way to live. (I don't subscribe to fear-based choices.) On the other hand, I have friends who took the hit and were rewarded down the road (for being true to themselves--to their spiritual and emotional well-being) when they found the lid for their pot the second time around.

My two favorite auto manufacturers are Honda (for folks like me--in the under $30,000 price range) and BMW. If I were to ever trade up, I'd be looking at a BMW...Dare to dream! Even if Honda is making some boring cars these days, as you and NYC opined, I still think that you can't go wrong with a Honda. Basically, you can drive a Honda for as long as you want to own it--with a virtually trouble-free engine.

YES! The S2000 would be a great toy!

I don't usually follow any of the other threads here. Perhaps one of these days I'll check that one out. Having to manual shift requires (demands) the driver to be more mentally and physically engaged in the process of driving. It's just that simple, IMO! When I told my mother that my car was a manual (again), her response was, "Oh, why do you want to be bothered with all that again?"
    I agree with you totally, there was NO WAY I was staying in that marriage! I'd rather take the hit, and be happy LOL.
    BMW is the next logical step up, like I've mentioned on here before I would love to have an M3. Now that's nice.
    its snow tires and I let it run free. A little too free apparently according to the Westchester County Police. I got pulled over tonight on my way home from work. There's a section of the Bronx River Parkway between The Bronx (NYC)/Westchester County border and where it splits to the Sprain Brook Parkway where the speed limit is a paltry 45 MPH! Usually the traffic moves between 65 & 70.

The police officer pulled me over and asked me if I realized what the speed limit was. He was very nice and courteous. He took my license and told me that if my record was clean that I'd be on my way in a few minutes.

He kept his promise and told me to make sure to adhere to the posted speed limit.

Now to the important stuff! My car now looks proper with its beautiful OEM 5 spoke wheels! It also drives much better on the 16" Yokohama tires as opposed to the 15" Michelin SNow tires!

timothyaw: I think lulu9 is trying to ask you out :P

Like I've said many times before, my next car depends on how long I can hold on to the Prelude. I plan on driving it for at least another 5 years. Anything short of that and I'll probably end up with a MINI COOPER S. The longer I go with the Prelude and the more I can "justify" spending on a car. Maybe a 335i Sedan or an M3 Sedan :P

You asked how long you can hold on to the Prelude?? C'mon this isn't a keeper? :P You have to keep it and pass it on to your child! I've been impressed with what I've read about the mini cooper and its handling. Now about that M3 you mentioned, THAT'S what I'm talking about. I would like to pick up one of those one day. Someone at my job as a silver 335i sedan and it just looks SHARP! Sigh, that day can't come soon enough.
    When I'm done with it, I sell it to you tim for parts :P The next car will probably be a keeper as long as it is something really special like an M3 or Boxster.

lulu9: My 3 favorite car companies are as follows in this order: Ferrari, Porsche, BMW.

There's nothing like a red sports car to get a cop's attention! Yesterday was your lucky day as getting pulled over for speeding in New York (and Connecticut for that matter) and not getting a ticket is a rare occurence. He must have thought you were cute! :P

Shedding your snow tires (it took you long enough!) must be a great feeling...like going from boots to sandals. Now you need a pedicure!

Timothy: I think NYC has a case of spring fever! Don't forget that I know both your (Timothy's and NYC's) vital statistics! :P One is 6'6" and has a girlfriend and the other is 5'10" and married with baby. :)

I have at least two areas of interest that have no place in this forum: Relationship and fashion advice. So I couldn't resist offering Timothy my support for doing what was best for him--being true to himself and getting on with his life--as opposed to the yucky alternative. So if you boys ever have a question, ask me, and I'll give it to you straight up!
    Since NYC and Timothy have been waxing poetic (again :P ) about their someday 335i's, M3's, and Boxsters, I feel a social obligation to pass along a compliment I received on our Prelude SH on Sunday when I was at Costco. (Timothy, Costco is one of those warehouse clubs in this area where you pay an annual membership fee of $50 and often receive significant savings...it all depends.) Their store in Norwalk has a tire department--a pretty big operation actually. Well, I decided to get my tires at Costo--after I was all ready to order them from the Tire Rack. After I added in Tire Rack's shipping and handling and the $20 per tire installation cost, I realized that--to my surprise--it is slightly cheaper at Costco.

Also, when I visited their tire shop on Sunday, I found out that if you buy 4 Michelin tires, you get a $60 store card. Pretty good deal. Oh, and they are a certified Michelin tire center. Apparently, Michelin tires need to be filled a certain way. ANYWAY...

When the service manager (a Hispanic man in his mid to late 20's) asked me what kind of car I have (so he could make sure they have the size I need), he said "That's a really beautiful car." Then he asked, "Who's car is it?" :blush: "Mine." "YOURS? You drive that?" (I suppose looks can be deceiving.) He was so surprised! "Well," he said, "That's a great car you drive."

So here's to driving a still-great car (even if it isn't a $50,000 Porsche or BMW).

Yes, it's strange for me to be posting so late, but I work out for 1.5 hours in the evenings (have it down to a science)...and then I need time to recover as I feel like a wet noodle afterward. I'm like, "Don't even talk to me!" :mad: That's how wiped I get. But then it passes! :)

Lulu
    Congratulations on your new tires, now go out and take on some curves! But be mindful of the cops, oh but wait; you're a woman you'll get off :P If it's a man that pulls you over, if it's a woman, well depends on how she swings lol.
    We do have a Costco's here in Indy, I know it's hard to believe here in no-man's land. At some point in my life, I'm moving to the southwest. This area is a little too conservative for my taste. A job brought me here and the cost of living is cheap. But that stuff only goes so far ;) At least we're the racing capital of the world. I went to the US Grand Prix last year, lots of fun and energy. I might just take my Prelude around the famous oval. Too bad you can't open it though.
    I appreciate your support Ms. Lulu, I may take you up on that relationship advice sometime. It's good to get another woman's viewpoint sometimes. Since you have our vitals stats, what are yours?? I noticed you talked about an ex, no bf? I'm sure there are a lot of great car guys that make great bf's in the NYC/Ct area eh? haha
    Timothy: Sorry for the confusion...I decided (in my mind--after my informational "site visit" to Costco on Sunday) that I'll go with them. I have to find a day in the next week or so when I can sit and wait for the tires to be installed. They're so busy there, and I HATE TO WAIT! so I'm hoping to find a work day (instead of a Saturday) when I can sneak out of the office to get this done.

I can't wait to report to you guys about these tires. :)
    I'll get back to your other questions later!
  • cowboy019cowboy019 Posts: 17
    Lots of BMW fans here!

Do yourselves a favor and don't drive the 335. I took one for a spin and now have one on order.

The Prelude has about a month and a half left before she's retired. After 5 years, she's served me well. Still drives like a dream. But she ain't no 335.

On my various test drives, I was consistently surprised at how well the Prelude stacked up against newer cars. Obviously not as fast, but suspension, handling, and ride quality were all first rate. Not bad for a design that's over 10 years old.
    Yes, there are. May I ask you a few questions? Such as...Which Prelude do you own? I own the '01 Type SH. How many miles on your car?

Actually, I was both impressed and quite pleased to read how well the Prelude stacked up in terms of "suspension, handling, and ride quality" against the 335i considering the price range difference and the age of my car's design.

What other cars did you test drive in your search?
    1.5 hours at the gym? WOW! You must look stunning stepping out of that beautiful, black Prelude :P

I'm lucky if I can muster up a half an hour a few times a week to go for a 2 mile run! Although we did do the 5 borough bike tour last Sunday (47.5 miles).

• cowboy019cowboy019 Posts: 17
    I've got an '01 SE (Canada-only model). It's basically a base Prelude with leather seats and SH trim.

Oddly enough, my original intention in visiting the BMW dealership was to test the 323i (another Canada-only model). Loved the car, but felt that it wasn't enough of an upgrade, speed wise, from the Prelude to justify the cost. It's a 200hp I6, but you really gotta rev it to feel the power. Some might consider that a positive, but after driving a rev-happy engine for so long, I'm looking forward to driving a torque monster like the 335.

Also checked out the IS350 (no stick - strike) and G35. G just felt a bit more "raw" than the others, and the looks didn't compare to the BMW. I can see it getting "old" faster than the 3 series.

Unfortunately there was nothing in the Honda family to trade up to (I'm a lifelong Honda driver). The TSX is actually slower than the Prelude with all that weight to lug around, and the TL is too damn big. S2000 isn't practical as a year-round daily driver.
    With your "Cowboy" name, I imagined that you'd be from Texas or Oklahoma, but you're Canadian! Are you from the Calgary area? I love Western Canada and the Canadian Rockies. (I also love British Columbia and Vancouver--one of my favorite cities.)

I read your review and test drive commentary with great interest--from the standpoint of, "What would be a satisfying upgrade for a 5-speed Prelude owner--an upgrade that would truly justify the price tag?" Don't get me wrong: I LOVE my car and enjoy the hell out of it. It puts a smile on my face every time I get in. Yet, emotionally, I am acutely aware that I could never go down the performance ladder after owning a Type SH Prelude. The next logical step would be to go UP! But up to what?? (Also, I am very "looks oriented" in that I have to love a car's shape). So this is why I posed my question to you. It's great to learn that the 335 meets your personal criteria.

I have commented before about how the S2000 isn't a practical car for everyday driving. I wish it were! :P

Thanks for sharing your insights! Lulu
    Ouch! It really hurt me personally to imagine my proud and dignified Prelude as a "for parts" car. :cry:

It will be VERY interesting to see what NYC ACTUALLY decides upon when that time comes for him to retire his Prelude.

I know it does not make good sense logically (i.e., this is purely an emotional decision), but I'm going to follow my gut feeling and keep my Prelude when that time comes--as opposed to trading it in or selling it for parts (Ugh!). Number 1: Any car I own is impeccably maintained (just like my body :blush: ) and Number 2: I will not "need" the money for a trade-in.
    I think that women "getting off" :P (you know what I mean) when pulled over by a male cop is a thing of the past (unfortunately :blush:). The last time I was pulled over for speeding--about 8 years ago (thank goodness)--there was no "wiggle room" to be had in that situation. Moreover, none of my friends who've ever been pulled over have gotten a break either. Prior to that, I was pulled over for speeding in Toronto--speaking of Canada. The officer was VERY nice and polite and even quite amused by my kilometer explanation (which was true), but still, I got a ticket.

Yep: The heartland of our country is quite conservative--way too conservative for my taste as well. (Thank God I live in a Blue state). But the people are genuine and sincerely nice! OMG! We're so bitchy/uptight here in the Northeast--even downright hostile compared to other regions of the country! What state are you thinking of in the Southwest?

Ya know how people these days claim to be "drug-free" or "debt-free?" Well, I'm now coming out of a self-imposed "man-free" sabbatical--for about two and a half years now (Yeah, long time). My family and friends would love nothing more than to see me (at least) dating again, and no one can understand why I'm still single (except for me :blush:). I do have one "X" in the area with whom I'm on very friendly terms. But he is not the man who broke my heart. The one who did--hmmm, let's just say that there's no point in dating when you're not ready or open to take that risk again. And if I can't do something with complete integrity--if I'm not in alignment with something 100%--I don't do it at all. I'd rather fly solo than date men on the rebound. That's a no-win situation, and, again, lacks integrity.
    Yes, 1.5 hours per day of working out: A half-hour of cardio (either on one of the yucky machines--which I hate while I'm on them--or a power walk outside, depending on weather/time of year) and one hour of weight training and/or power yoga. This all makes sense because I'm an athletic gal and is part and parcel of my lifestyle. So, I can say to myself, "Hell yeah!" ;) Besides, what's the alternative? Being pudgy/fat and making excuses? :lemon: The reward for all this effort and investment is being lean and curvy. So, I'm proud to say that I match my car. :)
    I was totally joking about parting my car out to timothyaw :P .

Nobody knows what the future holds. I pretty much change my mind on a daily basis about my next car. Since it it the Spring time and we're actually having a nice, warm, season I'm hopped up on roadsters right now. Today's thought is to keep the Prelude as a daily driver/ winter beater and pick up a really nice, used Boxster to drive on those precious ncie days we have here in NY.

You seem like a very intelligent, proud, and confident woman (who drives stick among other assets ;) ). Somebody will be very lucky to have you...when you're ready. I was pretty miserable as a bachelor until I started dating my wife.

Fitness is important to me. I just don't have the time or inclination to workout every day (much less for and hour and a half). I know they're excuses, but darn good ones :shades: . Luckily I've been blessed with great genes and a very high metabolism. I'm 5'10" tall and weigh about 150 lbs.

Lustrous, Gleaming clean! I finally got my Prelude washed on Saturday afternoon after work. It looks fantastic! I even went against my rule of thumb and waited almost 40 minutes to get my car washed. The end result is well worth it! I really love the way the Milano Red paint!

Well I hope you keep the Prelude. I know I will, I won't make the same mistake twice. I regret getting rid of my 91, it was in mint shape. It would be near impossible to find one in such great shape today.
    Lulu: Well I love the Vegas area, highways to open up my Prelude ;) At some point I'll end up there. Your man-less time makes sense to me. No woman NEEDS a man, I like an independent women! And there is nothing more attractive than to see an attractive woman in a sexy sports car with manual transmission :blush: