Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,395
    Premium fuel is required. I'm sure you could run it on regular with no harmful effects on the engine as the engine's timing will retard (due to the lower octane) and your engine will produce less horsepower & torque, therefore incresing the amount of power needed to get up to speed and decresing your fuel economy (kinda like driving with your AC compressor engaged full time).

As far as if the car is a good value or not, you should post that on the
    "real world trade in values" board here on Town Hall.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Sphinx99: I know your going to be loving your S2K now that top down weather is upon us. Did you happen to catch the specs on that MazdaSpeed Miata? It is a pretty slick package (not S2K slick, but nothing is:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    It's a nice package. Only concern is price, the Miata really is making a bee-line for the $30k barrier these days, but the car is very well-equipped and does have the refinement and elegance that only a car with a decade or more of ongoing development is going to have.

Top down weather? Where?! We have snowstorms beginning in a few hours. And it's all headed your way, buddy :)
    Well, the MazadaSpeed model stickers at around $26 & change. These cars don't sell too well here because on Mazda's website has some crazy 0% (or 0.9%) for 60 month deal (thank-you parent company Ford) on all 2003 & 2004 Miatas. I'd love to walk into a dealership in a few winters on a day like today (thanks a lot for the snow buddy:) and pick up a MazdaSpeed model that's been sitting around (much like my Prelude was).

Yesterday was 60 degrees here and I drove home from work with the roof open and the windows down half way. I'm glad I haven't switched the snows off yet because we got ourselves one helluva slushy/icy/snowy mess. We're supposed to get more of the white stuff dumped on us before week's end.

My condo where we've moved is very hilly. In particular there is a large, steep driveway to the get to the condo's gatehouse, then you have to slow down almost to a stop so the scanner can read the sticker on your window, then make a tight turn and go over a speedbump uphill. There was a lady in a SP equipped E39 525i that wasn't fairing so well. The Prelude took it without a hesitation or hiccup.

The only thing that scares me about driving in the snow are the other drivers. Besides the over-confident SUV driver, I've also got to worry about these guys who drive around in Yukons, Tahoe's, Escalades... with Z rated rubber bands on their 24" rims.

It needs some fresh Mobil 1 Synthetic, a filter change, chassis lube, the moonroof slides back and forth on the slow side (esp during cold mornings), and I hear my driver's window creaking when it is wet on the way up.

They gave me an LX Accord this time with power windows, locks, and mirrors. This loaner shimmies and shakes like Brittney Spears, and has one headlight out. The gold color blends in nicely with all the other gold colored Camrys, Saturns, and Accords in my condo complex:)

Sat in the Suzuka Blue S2K (yes the same one that's been in the showroom since I believe the '04's were introduced). Such a gorgeous car you've got SPhinx99. I even sat in it with the top up and I swear I have more headroom in that car with the top up than in my Prelude.

Thanks :) Believe it or not, I think the S has more headroom and leg room than the Prelude. The Prelude wins in shoulder room by a wide margin, though, and let's not even get started on the trunk.

In sad news, a metal button on my leather jacket somewhat gouged the leather seat in the S. I have no idea whether it's easily repairable. This is one area where cloth seats win out.

I saw a white Type SH yesterday, perhaps the same one I've seen once before in this area. Such a gorgeous car.
    The car definitely runs a bit smoother when I have the oil changed. I can hear the difference in the motor from 2 days ago. I guess that's part of what makes the Prelude a great car is that it really communicates with you:) They lubed the tracks on my moonroof and now it glides back and forth like the day I got it. They said one of the channels had to be lubed because that's what was causing the window to skip on the way up.

So after I picked my car up, I headed back into the city to cath the Rangers (hockey) game. On my way home I was on a 3 lane interstate highway that they are doing construction. So there is a large orange sign that clearly marks the 2 right lanes merging into the left lane. Right as the lanes merge, there is another sign that says the lanes are shifting to the right. By the time I saw that sign, there was a rather large tractor trailer next to me. No time (or room) to slam on the brakes, so I downshifted from 5th to 2nd and away I went.

• stevenh7stevenh7 Posts: 33
    What brand would you recommend for my 97 Prelude?
    I looked at the car and realized half the reason I wanted a Type SH so badly...the wheels! The wheels make the car look like a sports car while my steel winter wheels make the car look so ultilitarian.

The steering is noticible heavier with the 16" wheels as opposed to the 15" winter wheels. I alos notci there is less body roll (due to the smaller sidewall).

have you checked out the tire rack? What kind of tires are you looking for, high performance or all season?

• stevenh7stevenh7 Posts: 33
    Looking for all season. What is the tire rack?
    tire rack is an online retailer that will let you plug in your vehicle make & model, and let you select tires based on certain criteria (high performance, all season, winter...). The site is tirerack.com

Their prices are very reasonable and if you have a question, their sales staff is extremely knowlegeable.

let us know what you come up with.

Those of us who post regularly here don't put all season tires on our Preludes (current or Former).

Personally I like to use dedicated snow tires for the winter (with a cheap set of steel wheels) and will get some nice Z rated perfromance tires for Summer/Spring/Fall duty when my stock Bridgestones wear out.

I had my Prelude washed for the first time in what seems like months tonight. I don't care that it is going to rain tomorrow, I just couldn't stand it! The interior is nice and clean and the red paint shines once again. That reminds me, I've got to throw a coat of wax on one of these days! I love the way my car looks at dusk. It looks clean and you can't see any of the dings or scratches. Damn I love my Prelude! At the end of the month 4/27 will be my car's 2nd birthday!

• timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    Hello All, I got sidetracked with other things from posting yeah yeah I'm the guy with the 01 Black Type SH in case you forgot haha.
    I had it stored for the winter as I drive my 92 Integra GSR in the winter.
      Have you guys heard of 3M Paint protection film? I'm having it put on my car this weekend. I just HATE dings and paint chips on the front end. I've heard only good reviews about it. Actually I've had it put on another car I have and you really can't tell its there until you're up close. I have an installer that does it for me really good guy he knows what he's doing. I'll find that sight that has it. Also I saw this, have any of you thought about this http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=332&ad- dcar=1
    Sorry for the long post I'll be keeping up more :)
    I'd say for the money, you can't beat the prelude for its performance, HANDLING, quality fit and finish inside and out! And then too I STILL get looks because its not a car you see every mile like a vette etc. I know others have posted on this but I just HAD to chime in :)
    24,000 is going to show up tomorrow AM:)

Not to shabby considering that at this time last year I had less then 6K on the car!

I got some serious catching up to do, 8,900 miles here. I have a road trip planned soon down south. I'll get a chance to open it UP!
    Miles fly when you're having fun :) I'm reading about 9,970 on the S.... should pass 10 grand sometime on the way to work today :(
  • kenjabikenjabi Posts: 76
    I'm jealous of all you low-milers. :) Over 63,000 on my Prelude now. Car still runs great overall, just a little rattle in the back when going over bumps, and my Check Engine light seems to randomly come on and off. Last time I asked my mechanic about it he said it came up as an O2 sensor code. Any other (5th gen) Prelude owners have a similar problem around this mileage?
  • proggerprogger Posts: 2
    I would like to take the jump now and make that Prelude Purchase but other economic factors have slowed me down (#1, son beginning college) I will probably still wait 1 more year to pull the trigger but a local dealer has a 2001 Black auto with spoiler, fog lights and 30K miles. It is pulling me in. I know most of you enthusiasts prefer the 5 speed but I am quite happy with the auto. Haven't driven it yet, but the asking price is $16,995. I was hoping to purchase one for less than 15K. Is the market for Preludes tight or is there room for negotiation?