Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

1767778798082»

Comments

• shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Today, I was surfing a Honda forum and there is one '99 Prelude (white) with about 79k miles selling for $12K. The car is in excellent condition with OEM body kit, JDM fog light and DC sports header, sway bar and EVO exhaust. It looks beautiful. But, it is still a 10 years old car with around 80k miles and it cost $21K when new (Base, 5spd). So, I told that guy if someone offer him anything over $10k, just run with the money...LOL

What do you guys think? FYI, KBB for a '99 with average mileage and in very good condition is $6k (private party) and retail for $6,400 (Excellent condition).
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,658
    That's asking way too high. Maybe the guy priced himself high to weed out the usual internet bottom feeders and maybe only people who are serious will make an offer. My guess is maybe he can get $7K - $7,500.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• preludefanpreludefan Posts: 17
    Hey gang - writing to share an unbelievable turn of events.

I finally did spluge on the Summer Performance Tires - went with the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. Amazing tires - stealth like silence, very different than the stock tires for the Prelude - also Potenzas - RE65 I think.

One week later, I hit a deer on I-90 close to Buffalo, NY. I was doing about 70 mph and it was pitch black dark - no cars around me. I didn't have my hi-beams on , so it came into my field of view at the last second. The road was wet because it had just rained, and I swerved to avoid most of it. I think I hit it's head and neck - boy it made a loud noise. After that, I was little out of control, skidding on the highway to and fro as I tried to come to a stop. Those tires handled superbly. I think they probably saved my life.

Damaged the left front corner - took out the headlamps, bent down the corner of the hood, and put a big dent in the quarterpanel. No internal damage whatsoever. $3000 in body damage. I took it to a great autobody shop in the Cleveland area and I just got it back.

They fixed the hood and 1/4panel and painted it up. Looks like new. I can see a couple areas where they stopped painting, but I'm still pleased. They went around the whole car and touched up any small dings/small rust spots, like on the lower door, etc. Seriously looks like new - I'm thrilled. As I said in my earlier post, I was planning on getting the rust spots, etc addressed because I wanted to keep the car. Now I can check that off the list. It's wonderful having a 10yr old car (2000 Type SH) that looks like new - Crystal Mettalic Blue baby!

I'm going to try to leave it in the garage for the Ohio winter now that it looks so nice.

So at this point, the only think left is the Clutch and I think it's got lots of life left, so I'm hoping that I'm back to basic maintenance for a couple years.
    That's some story. I'm glad you're OK & didn't get hurt. Did the airbags go off? Good thing there were no other cars around you. So you hit a deer at 70mph in Buffalo & were able to drive the car to Cleveland? That's impressive!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

No - the airbags did not deploy. I was wondering about that myself. That would have been really scary if they had because I was still going close to 70mph and I'm assuming that my field of view would have been totally obstructed.
    What I am thinking is: The deer did not hit the impact zone, where the air bag sensors are located... or the impact is not severe enough to set off the air bag.

But, either way, great story and it seems you are OK and the Lude is back on the road again. So, enjoy it.
    you still might want to get your air bags checked out by the dealer. I remember something about the "charge" going bad after 10 years.

my Prelude is in the body shop getting fixed. Back in December I backed into an F150 pickup truck. I figured vacation is a good time to have it fixed.

So it looks like another Honda product will be joining our family. Using a $3500 cash for clunkers credit (from my 1990 BMW 325i), I think we're going to buy my wife a 2010 Acura TSX. She's just got to go and drive it to see if she likes it. I drove it and was very impressed. The car drives like a bigger, 4 door Prelude. Great steering & brakes. Excellent road feel, thickly bolstered seats, high quality interior materials. The TSX will be her car as she'll use it to keep the miles down on her '07 X3 (At her current pace, she's about 5K above where we should be for the end of next July). I'll keep you guys up to date.

That is a very solid car - European version Accord actually. So, it handles very nicely with a touch of luxury. Very good choice. I would imagine it is similar to the X3 (as far as size, feeling and handling goes). So, if you are happy with the X3 and want to add something similar, that would be great, but if you are looking for some variety, you might want to think again though :)

So, now the wife get 2 new vehicles and you will drive a 8 years old, just doesn't make sense. But, I guess you will be able to drive it from time to time. Good strategy. But, again, you would have to wait until you sell the Lude to realize your BMW dream I guess.
    Yeah, pretty much 2 new vehicles for my wife (& the kids). I'll try to take the TSX (if I can get it, I see the gov't cash 4 clunkers program is almost out of money) once a week. If I need to take the X3 I'd won't be a problem either.

I'm really going to try and stick to my original plan of keeping the Prelude as my daily driver for 10 years. In addition to my perrenial favroite German Marquee, I'd also seriously consider a g37S Sedan.

Just heard that they run out of money on this program. Hope you got your TSX already. If not, enjoy your BMW for now.
    Dude, I don't even want to talk about it! Long story short. The dealer closest to me wouldn't give me a price over the phone after I test drove the car 3 separate times (alone, then twice with my wife). I found a great dealer (through a reccomendation) and a salesman who was honest. This dealership has been trying to sign up as a cash for clunkers dealer for the past 2 weeks. When I heard cash 4 clunkers was ending Monday night, I started to panic & called numerous dealers. A few only had cars left with light colored interiors & the rest pretty much said they've had it with Cash 4 Clunkers (meaning they're waiting to get paid).

I don't think we're getting the car.

That is a lot of BS from the dealership (and the CFC program).

Yeah, I have heard some bad things about this program - dealers are taking advantage of it and try to sell more cars than what customers want, or, not getting paid as promised.

Overall, I believe the concept is good, but it might be too aggressive and under estimated how many "clunkers" are on the road. And most of them worth a lot to the owner, providing it is running fine.

Well, that is OK I guess. You can still drive that BMW for a while until a better deal / car comes up.
    After own it for 10 years, I finally let her go. The car is in excellent condition with relatively low mileage. Listed on line for 3 days and got a buyer test drove it (the first test drive) and bought the car for asking price. My son missed the car more than I do - since I sold this car to move on...

I will check back one in a while and hope the Lude is serving you good for another couple of years until you decide to upgrade.
  • hi,
    looking for any suggestions for a 2000 Prelude that will be driven in snow.
    Saw some positive reviews for Goodyear Eagle GT Ultra-High Performance All Season, but prefer to hear from someone who as experience with a Prelude in snow.
    thanks~~

twice
    WOW! I can't believe you sold your Prelude. :cry: How many miles did you have one it in the end? How much did you get for it? Driving the M full time then huh?

I actually saw a '99 Green Type SH on a local Honda dealer's lot with 95K miles. They are asking $10,995 for it. The car is in amazing shape. Makes mine almost look its age.

Please stick around - I need someone to chat with!

I drive a 2001 Prelude Type SH year round here in New York. I put a set of 4 (15") dedicated Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpin PA2 mounted on black steel wheels right around December 1st (through march). I have NEVER gotten stuck on an incline & the car tracks beautifully in the snow. My Prelude actually feels more sure footed in the snow then my wife's '07 X3 (with All Season Tires).

You have a 2000 Prelude? What color? Stick or Automatic? How many miles are on it? Did you just buy the car or have you owned it since new?

Yeah, I know it is sad. I was on preludeonline.com and discussing about the value of Prelude and bet with a guy that the right price for a '99 Prelude should be around $6k and they think it is less (average condition, average mileage 100-120k). So, I told him that I can sell it for that amount easy and put a "for sale" topic there.

Within 3 days, I got 2 phone calls (plus some reply from other states who want to buy it, but amazingly, no low ballers). One guy want to take a test drive and showed up with his wife. They are decent and both know how to drive stick shift pretty well. The guys seems knowledgeable about cars and they have owned several Honda cars in the past. After a short test drive, they want to buy the car at asking price of $6400 in cash.

I was not prepared for this, but I do want to make a change (Not that the M45 is not a big enough change, but I am open for opportunities). So, I give the guy some quick tips on maintenance and what has been replaced and what not (New timing belt, water pump and CV axles 2 years ago). The car has 116K miles at the time of selling, there is 1 quarter sized ding on the front passenger side wheel well and some other minor door dings from parking. Still on OEM clutch and both BRAKE PADS with 30% life.

I think the price is fair, plus I have always wanted a Grand AM (It is not as fun as Prelude, but it is my first car, so I always want another, plus, Pontiac will be gone and it might somewhat unique in a couple of years, who knows). With in a week, I spot a 2005 Grand AM V6 with some issues that can be fixed if you know how. The engine and transmission works perfectly, but the mileage is high. I jumped on it and just got the license plate yesterday. As of right now, all issues has been fixed for less than $400 (This includes the upgrade of a set of Alloy wheels).

So, now, if I go to some place that is not safe or decent, I drive this beater Pontiac. Other than that, I am riding the M45 and enjoy the sound and power of the V8.

I have to say that I still miss the Prelude and have never kept a car for that long (10 years) and I doubt I will ever keep another car that long again. But, I will still stick around and check back for sure.
    If anybody's out there, I just wanted to mention my Prelude hit a major milestone this morning - 120,000 miles! And I still love it love it love it!

• crvdude1crvdude1 Posts: 47
    edited May 2010
    10 yrs? I was the original owner of a 1997 Prelude base. Bought it in 12/1996 and sold it in 2/2010. 45k original miles, tires, brakes, clutch. I was sad to let it go but need to downsize because of the economy. They don't make cars like that no more. :cry:
    Wow - so little mileage on a '97. Seems like you barely drove it, but thoroughly enjoyed it when you did.

I've got over 120K on my '01 Type SH Prelude that I bought new in April 2002. My commute just lengthened, so by next year I'll have 140K on the car.

What color was your car? Did you sell it or trade it in? What did you get for it? What did you replace your Prelude with?

• sdhawkmansdhawkman Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Honda Prelude (base model) and am rebuilding the engine. The cylinders have the special FRM (Fiber Reinforced Material) walls which I have to bore out beyond the service limits, and my understanding is that I will need to install sleeves.

My thought at this point is to simply find 'standard' sleeves which will work with the 'standard' OEM Honda pistons - regular or oversize. . .?!? But...I'm unsure what all my options are with regards to the sleeves that will work, and the associated pistons - neither of which needs to be 'performance grade', (which is all I've been able to find, and are spendy...to say the least!).

Any advice, suggestions, directions, sources, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    PHH
    Way beyond the scope of my knowledge. Try preludeonline.com

• sdhawkmansdhawkman Posts: 2
    You need to get outa the big city more often man! :shades:
    But seriously, thanks for the reply. . .and "preludeonline.com" is the first place I posted, no doubt! (i.e. good advice) I just happened to be on Edmunds for other reasons & figured it couldn't hurt to post it here too. :)
    How many miles are on the car & why are you rebuilding it?

• crvdude1crvdude1 Posts: 47
    I would say I really drove it; tossed it on wet road, sliding around curve, attacking apex (road), ....
    It was a terrific fun car to drive. I still missed it a lot. It is getting old and I know issues will pop up soon. So I traded it in for a 2010 V. Family car, not much fun but it is better than the Gen 2 CRV. The G3 V handles good and you can toss it a little to have some fun. It was an ok trade in but I guessed I got the most of a 13 yr young car.
  • Hey everyone, my wife has a 2001 Prelude with 106K miles (which I've inherited to maintain) and have considered switching to synthetic. I've read that vehicles tend to leak after switching from conventional over to synthetic after so many years/miles. What have you guys encountered, and what do you guys use? Thanks.
    Still out there in Preludeland here on edmunds, but here's a pic of my '01 Type SH Prelude

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH

I did experience just that. Mine started leaking a bit but then I switched back and it has not been an issue. Cheaper too.
    All,

I'm at a critical point in the life of my Prelude and need to decide whether to move on or not.

My 2000 Type SH (Crystal Metallic blue) has about 110k miles on it and is still looking fine. Repainted after deer accident a few years ago.

Clutch is still working well and engine seems to be ok. Trying to decide if it's worth keeping.

Have replaced battery, water pump, timing belt. Very little rust... repainted front after deer collision. Clutch seems ok

Needs:
    New Rear brakes and rotors soon
    New Summer Performance tires soon.
    New Spark Plugs.
    Various cosmetic issues (psgr door handle plastic needs replacing, chrome fitting on muffler fell off, small chip in windshield)
    Possible electrical issue causing headlamp to blow 6 times last year?
    Possible rear main seal leak in Engine - very minor though
    Engine sounds a bit rough.

Think an average Honda Service shop will be able to perform an adequate inspection?
    I think with 110K on it, your car is worth keeping. Count your blessings that your clutch is still good at 110K. Mine burnt out & needed replacement @ 52K miles.

It is just at a point in its life where it requires a lot of scheduled maintenance. That doesn't necessecarily mean its time to part ways with your beloved Prelude. I had my spark plugs replaced with NGK Iridium Tipped spark plugs (same as from the factory)

Tires are relatively cheap. I've got a set of Yokohama S.Drives that I
    Very happy with. I got them from tire rack for less than $100 each.

Rear brake pads & rotors. You got 12 years & 110K miles out of them, so they need replacing. Might as well have new Honda Brake fluid put in.

They found the rear main seal leak & fixed it while the clutch was being done.

Have you had your manual transmission fluid drained & filled yet?

I know it is hard putting $1500 - $2000 (?) worth of maintenance into a 12 year old car with over 110K miles. A new car is going to cost you a whole helluva lot more than that. The Prelude is a classic over built, over engineered, old school Honda. There are very few cars that give you such an amazing driving experience.

My 2001 Type SH Prelude currently has 146,200 miles on it. It shows little signs of its age. I don't drive it every day anymore. I still love it & love the way it drives.

The one thing I do know about former Prelude owners is that they pretty much ALL regret selling their cars.

I'd look to see if there is a good independent mechanic that can do the work. I'd watch out for high profit driven dealer service departments.