Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• prelude97prelude97 Posts: 6
    If ya would like to see a few shots of my brand new used Prelude...check it out--> http://www.msnusers.com/teamcommando/shoebox.msnw
  • prelude97prelude97 Posts: 6
    ..Theres a nice red one on E-bay right now for like $97.00 & 14.00 shipping....
  • pointatobpointatob Posts: 30
    Hi Jenny,

i have a 93 prelude vtec - my a/c has only worked intermittently for the last 2-3 years. the compressor will turn on for about 5 min or so, and then turn off for about 15 minutes. this cycle seems to repeat over and over. not sure if this year is prone to these problems, but if you really need a/c, i would recommend going to a honda dealer that can diagnose the problem. the cost will probably be $70 - $100, but if you decide to get it fixed, they'll usually apply the diagnostic fee to the repair.

does the green LED light up when you press the a/c button? if not, trying blowing compressed air around the button to see if it is just a dirty or corroded contact.

hope this helps!
    b-from-a
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    So I must of driven over one of many of our road imperfections tonight on my way home from work (after I spent all day in the almost 100 degree heat with no AC at work) because my car started tugging a little bit to the right. Some guy pulls next to me while I'm processing this in my head and points to my right front tire. "It's Flat" he yells! So I drove for another 5 miles until I found a safe place to pull over. Get out and inspect...YUP it is flat! I call AAA and they tell me they'll be there in a half hour. While waiting, I popped open the trunk, took out the spare tire and tools and wanted to see what I was really made of. Well, I successfully changed my tire. Now I've got to order 2 new tires to replace my one flat tire. I am damn impressed with myself!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    Great job, even with the 100 degree heat!
    OK, so I drove for abput 10 minutes with the doughnut on and then the car started to shake above 40mph. I made it to a place to put air in the tires and pumped some air into the car. Today I got the flat tire plugged (found out it went flat because the plug that was put there popped out) temporary so I could drive my car to and from work tomorrow. Took off the spare. Put the standard wheel back on. Now somoething sounds like it is rubbing when I drive. What did I do? My 2 new tires are coming tomorrow, but still I'd like to know.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• jmcmbzjmcmbz Posts: 42
    I just test drove a 2000 Prelude w/ manual trans and No modifications. The car has only 35K original miles and looks practically brand-new inside. It drove extremely well, very smooth and tight. They are asking 14.9K for the car but it needs tires and there are three small dings on the passenger side. Otherwise the only issue I have is that it is black (I like black but LOVE silver) and non-SH. I do like to drive mountain roads and have fun but for the most part it will be a second car for me to have fun buzzing around town in on the weekends (and to save miles on my lease car). Does anyone think I'll miss the "SH" and what is a decent price for this car? I was thinking of offering 12K cash as it's a non-certified and the oldest car they have on the lot and needs tires (basically KBB fair value). The worse they can do is say no . Any advice? I've always loved Preludes (have owned several Accords) and currently have a 5-Series BMW for my daily driver. This Prelude also has a clean CarFax report, two previous owners and looks like was traded in on 7/19/06.
    Even though the car only has 35K miles on it, it is still 6 years old (almost 7 now). They are definitely asking a lot for the car. I see no reason they wouldn't take you $12 grand for it. Tires for the car are cheap. Whatever you do, don't buy another set of the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92s that came on the car. I recommend Yokohama AVS ES100 that I purchased from tire rack for about $80 a piece. Go with the base model (non SH) and you still get the same suspension setup. Plus if you even have to put a clutch in, I guarantee you will thank higher powers you got the standard Prelude.

If you liked your accords, you'll love the Prelude. It is truly a fantastic car. I have a 2001 Prelude Type SH with over 71,000 miles on it that I bought new in April 2002. It is so well put together, handling is phenomenal, it is a good road car for distance traveling... Think FWD BMW made in Japan.

What kind of 5er do you have? E39 or E60?

• jmcmbzjmcmbz Posts: 42
    Thanks for the advice. I'm definately thinking the non-SH model will be fine for me and save money if it needs a clutch. Besides, it handled great as far as I'm concerned. I love BMW AND Honda's. I currently have the E60 525i (my significant other has an 06 Accord EX V6-Nav) so I'm already kind of spoiled. I love BMW but I did not get the sport package or higher HP 530i but it had all the luxury options (Nav, Sat radio, Htd seats etc..) and was about 4K less expensive than the 530i(was pushing my budget as it was). But, coming from and E46 330i w/sport pkg it's definately down on the fun factor from what I was used to. My other reasoning is that I'm going to be WAY over the miles on my lease so a second car will help that. So, I either get a fun second car like this Prelude or not keep the Bimmer much longer. I'm actually lusting over the new 335i coupe. 300hp Twin Turbo!But I do like the larger size of the E60 and the Steptronic transmission for my 3 plus hours per day in the car (typical for So. Cal) Anyway, still thinking over the Prelude. It was pretty flawless and sweet driving. It actually felt like a decent torque curve despite the high reving nature of the engine. Shifting was flawless as well. I have also been looking out for a ten year old or so Z car but I don't know if I trust the car mechanically as much as Honda or the previous owners driving it for that matter! Esp, the turbo. BTW, the Prelude has good tires (Michelin Pilot Exalto's) but they are down to the bars and have crackling around the edges. I'll check out the Yoko's if I get it. Hmmm, should I? !!!!!!! If it was silver I would have bought it on the spot!
  • does any one know where i can get preformance parts.. all i can find is an air intake ... i know there is not alot i can do with this engine.. but i want to do all ican for cheap.. lol myc ar is hardly in good condition i bought it when i was living in chciago and it is rusted all to hell ..i just want to make it as fast as i can before it breaks in two... oh and i lost my fifth gear while i was driving down here .. sucks! so now its a 4 speed . haha jk
    Black Preludes are nice. Especially in So Cal...it is like the fountain of youth for cars there. But go back and read any of my posts during the past few years...I love my Prelude!

Sports package is definitely the way to go as far as BMWs go. MY Mom has an '05 (225hp) 530iA without the sports package. My parents didn't go for it at the time because BMW made you buy active steering with the Sports Package. It is still a really nice driving road car. It has great steering and balance.

• prodj49prodj49 Posts: 5
    Anyone know where I could get a body kit for an 86 prelude?
  • in light of all the recent uproar over gas prices, i decided to check my mileage on my 93 prelude vtec (which i hadn't done in a couple of years). my last 2 tanks i've gotten 29, and 30 mpg respectively. this is mostly highway miles, but also with a fair amount of time stuck at traffic lights as well. pretty sweet for a (almost) 14 yr old car!

by the way, i've been putting in 87 octane now for nearly 3 yrs, with no (apparent) noticeable performance difference.

maybe i'll buy a new civic si sedan to replace my prelude...? hmmm... any thoughts?
    That's pretty good mileage. I average about 23-24 mpg in the summertime. YOur '93 VTEC weighs less than my '01 Type SH.

Maybe when gas comes down a little (ha ha), try a few tankfuls of 93 and see what happens. Maybe because your car has OBD-I computers it doesn't get affected by the lower octane :confuse:

The new Civic Si is cool. You get lots of features for your money. A great engine and chassis (I've read). I'm just not in love with it though. Drive it and let us know what you think. How come you're thinking of getting rid of the Prelude...troubles or just want something different?

So for about the last month or so my car has been making a buzzing noise at around 2700 - 3000 rpm. I hear it A LOT especially when I'm driving with my windows down (often in the summer). Rattles and nosies drive me CRAZY. So I took the car to the Speed & SOund shop where I had my Pioneer Head Unit w/ SIRIUS radio, iPod adapter, Apexi World Sport Exhaust, & most recently 2 new Yokohama AVS ES100 tires installed. The guy who owns the place knows A TON about cars. He has a heavily modified S2000.

He diagnosed the rattling noise as coming from a portion of the gasket beneath the valve cover that has rotted away. It is also leaking a tiny bit of oil. He said he could fix it, but also advised doing a tune-up (change spark plugs), changing the timing belt & water pump just as a preventative measure while the have the valve cover open. He also told me I should put headers (I declined).

So I'm going to get an estimate from him for all this work and probably give him the car for a day sometime next week.

I guess the time and mileage for the valve gasket is about up. Are you going to the Honda dealer to price these services?
    The dealer was unable to diagnose the rattling problem the last time I brought the car in. He's going to tell me that I don't need to change the timing belt & tensioner until 90,000 miles and that the Spark Plugs are still good until 105,000 miles. The recommened services are guidelines...YMMV.

So on Wednesday (Tuesday night), my Prelude is going in for open heart surgery. The Valve Cover GAsket will be replaced, new cam seals will be installed, It is getting a new Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, balance shafts, and new platinum tipped spark plugs. This is the first time major work will be performed on my car not by my Honda dealer. If I said I wasn't nervous I'd be lying. Hopefully I'll have it back on Wednesday night in perfect working order again.

Well good luck with all that. I'm sure it'll be fine. Although I would agree that the timing belt and water pump service is waay early.
    Changing out the valve cover gaskets is not a big deal. If that was the only problem, doing the TB/WP as well is a huge expense that is not really necessary at this time. But since you're already having it done, might as well go ahead.
    Yeah, well the dealership and the owner's manual sides with you but these guys really have an intimate knowledge of Hondas. They told me it is going to have to be done in another 10-15K miles anyway. I do plan on keeping my car for a while, so preventative maintenance doesn't hurt.