Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• My 2000 Prelude has 70,000 miles and a burnt #2 piston. What will that due to the value of the car? Having it rebuilt. :sick: Other than that, is in excellent shape.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,393
    Happy New Year everyone! As I filled up (why is gas going back up, $2.79 for super?) I realized that my Prelude is going to be with us for a L O N G time. Since our son was born, we've been taking my wife's Protege everywhere (for obvious reasons) on the weekend.

The only driving I do in the Prelude is back and forth to work 6 days a week. My mileage will be cut down from 20,000 per year to a little ove 12,000.

So I'm thinking of a new car plan. Keep the Protege for another 2 years. Replace it with maybe an Accord EX-L 4cyl w/ NAV. Keep the Prelude unil something catastrophic happens or I have enough money for a car for myself and get a really nice used E46 M3 Coupe :D

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• timothyawtimothyaw Posts: 148
    That M3 coupe sounds good :)
  • stevehsteveh Posts: 7
    Hello bellizi97, I have been experiencing the same issue with my 2001 Prelude (Base 5-spd, Nighthawk Black Pearl) for the last few winters here in northern NJ. No one at the dealership was able to find anything wrong with the suspension, though (and I rarely hear it during the spring and summer). Otherwise, the car has been wonderful and now has more than 92,000 miles. Did you have any luck finding out the cause?

I finally paid it off back in August but I think I'll be holding onto it for awhile. :)

**S**
    92K miles....nice! Did you buy it new? My '01 Type SH (Purchased new in late April '02) has over 77K miles & is still chugging along.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I bought my Prelude new, back in mid-August 2001. For a few years I drove it and a 2000 Accord V6 coupe (which I bought in late 1999 and sold early last year). Aside from a clutch replacement at around 50,000 miles, the Lude has been a delight. :shades:

**S**
    I replaced mine at 52,000 miles. That was actually one time I wished I hadn't opted for the Type SH (ATTS unit had to be removed & re-installed in order for the clutch to be worked on. I didn't want to have the clutch worked on in another 50K after that repair bill, so I went with a Centerforce Clutch.

I'm hoping my current clutch (#2) will survive at least until after the timing belt change. How much did the Centerforce clutch parts cost vs. the ones for the OEM clutch?

I once had a red 1996 Prelude Si (bought it new and traded it in for the Accord coupe a little over three years and 81,000 miles later) and never had any clutch issues. Aside from the AC compressor sometimes not working on hot days, every once in awhile I miss that car. :)

**S**
    I'll have to dig through my receipts, But I want to say around $400 just for the clutch. The Honda dealer where I have my car serviced said they'd only put the aftermarket clutch in if the installed a Genuine Honda Flywheel & Throwout bearing. After parts and labor, it was a rather large expense.

I had my timing belt, timing belt tensioner, H2O Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plugs, and a few other things changed as preventitive maintenance at about 72,000 miles (77,7XX currently). I had it done by the Speed/Sound Shop who put my Apexi World Sport Exhaust on, installed my pioneer radio, Sirius Radio Receiver, i-Pod adapter, and of course my favorite Suspension Techniques Sway Bars.

It is January 16, & I still have my Summer Yokohama AVS ES100s on. Maybe there is snow in the forecast next week. When they say snow, I'll switch to my winter wheels/tires.

So you switched from a Prelude to an Accord Coupe? What happened there? :P

• I don't know what is causing the noise because we never were able to isolate it. What I do know is that it is a popping noise from the front end when accelerating from a complete stop. The noise occurs when the engine torques back and forth. Sometimes it happens when accelerating around a corner in 2nd gear as well. Any time the engine torques. The hardest thing about tracking down this noise is the fact that once the outside temperature reaches around 40 degrees or higher, it goes away completely. Things we checked that had no problem visually included: motor mounts, ball joints, sway bar and all front end components. What a mechanic saw that he thought might fix it is on the passenger side near the ball joint. There is a place where the subframe meets the chassis. On the driver's side, there was a minor amount of clearance between these two pieces of metal, but on the passenger side they were touching. The guy is convinced the noise is in the body/chassis as opposed to the suspension, so he suggested creating the same amount of clearance on the passenger side as we saw on the driver's side. He did that, but it still made the noise when it was cold enough. So, we're back to the drawing board.
    The '96 Lude had 81,000 miles on it after three years (at the time I was dating a girl in Queens, some 60 miles from where I live...), and I was able to pay it off a few years early. So I figured 'what the heck; I'll get the Accord V6 this time' since a friend had a black one and it loked sharp (mine was red). If I had known in advance that my transmission would fail before 60,000 miles and the alternator would fail on me while I was on a busy NJ interstate (I-280 and the Garden State Pkwy) one evening, I might have considered alternatives more carefully! :(

I have a XM radio, Valentine One radar detector, Garmin c550 GPS unit, and sometimes use my iPod (bleeping FM modulator). So, needless to say, the inside of my car resembles the cockpit of a F-4 Phantom II fighter!

**S**
    The temperature was low enough today (low-mid 20s, I think) that I heard the exact same noises virtually every time I accelerated. It definitely sounds like something is moving and hitting something else, and this never happens on mild/hot days. I have an oil change coming up (maybe in another week) so I'll be sure to ask the dealer to look into this some more.
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Have you checked the CV joints and the struts? I had one leaking struts, which causing some noise when it is really cold outside.

At the time, I have about 88K on the Lude.
  • Here's what the guy said who I brought the car to...
    Yes. The struts, c/v joints & boots and all front end/suspension components were checked and fine. I am positive it is a body/chassis noise. Something is expanding & contracting with temperature change and causing two pieces which should not to touch when the engine is torqued. It is the only thing that makes sense to me. It is so frustrating to me that it was so warm when I had the car here. I know if the weather would have cooperated we would have gotten to the bottom of it. Also, I received some TSB's I requested from NHTSA today. One of them recommended using "silencing tubes" to solve a problem described as "a twang noise from the front suspension that sounds like a spring contact." The Honda part number is 52442-SMI-A00, H/C 4001947. I have no idea what these parts are or how they fix anything, but if you are going to the dealer, ask them to investigate it. I do not have a TSB number, but I can send you a copy of what NHTSA sent me if you want it. The other TSB they sent me is for a noise in the rear suspension.
  • 944s944s Posts: 42
    hey guys whats up,,, im looking to purchase a prelude that i can keep as a project car, i found a 1992 prelude with 155000 miles on the ODO.the owner wants $2500 obo. is it worth it,, and a second question what engine does that generation prelude have?? is it the B18B out of the integra???
    thx
    155K miles on a '92 is pretty good. I know of 2 people who owned these when new and they were so much fun to drive. Which model are you looking at? The 4th Gen '92 Preludes had 3 models: S, Si, 4WS. The S is the base model with 15" wheel covers and dealer installed AC with Honda's (non-VTEC) H22 Motor that produced somewhere around 135 Hp.

Next up is the Si. Powered by Honda's H23A 160hp engine. It had full 16" wheels.

The 4WS has the same engine as the Si, but had Honda's Electronic 4 wheel steering that steered the rear wheels a few degrees to aid in handling and parking. The 4WS Prelude would have a sticker on the back and have 2 front air bags.

So I see it has ABS, so that means it is probably an Si. The wheels on the car are aftermarket. Salvage title...I would stay away from it. Keep looking!

• lulu9lulu9 Posts: 154
    with 25,500 mileage--truly "mint" condition. What an amazing find as the window to find last gen. 'ludes with low miles in great condition is getting increasingly smaller. This is my 2nd Prelude--owned an '84 way back when and you couldn't kill it if you wanted to. Guy I bought it from is a contractor so drove his work van back & forth--hence the low miles. Had to drive to Long Island from CT to get it. CT drivers do not like the Long Island Expressway! NY Car guy...as I'm a gal who's re-experiencing the thrill her tomboy adolescent phase (my first car was a 240z) and loving every minute of it, what type of after-market enhancements would you recommend? Car came with AEM short ram air filter. Guidance is much appreciated!
    WOW! 25K miles on an '01 Type SH! That's nothing! What color is your car? You live in CT? Cool, I live in Westchester. I love taking my car on the Merit Parkway.

The 3 best modifications I've made to my car so far are Tires, Tires, & Suspension Techniques Front & Rear Anti-roll bars.

Why do I say tires twice? If your car has only 25K miles on it, you've probably got the original Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires. They are awful! Handling is decent on dry pavement (Tires squeal & howl way before the suspension gives up), but wet traction (hydroplaning) is kinda scary, & forget driving on them in the snow (even though we haven't had much this year).

I've replaced my tires with a set of Yokohama AVS ES100 Z rated peformance tires. I was able to notice a big difference in cornering as well as outstanding wet traction. These tires are downright DANGEROUS in the snow. I barely made it out of my parking lot of my condo complex a few weeks ago when we had a dusting. I literally almost crashed at 5mph.

Which brings me to my next modification of tires. I've run a set (4) Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpin Tires for a few years now. I went with a minus 1 setup (195/60 HR15 as opposed to 205/50 ZR16). Snow traction is INCREDIBLE. I used to live in the city and parked on the street and got plowed in many times. I got out with minimal digging.

A few months ago I added Suspension Techniques front & rear Anti roll bars to my car. What a difference! I thought the Prelude handled well, but I did notice it pitched and rolled a little. The Suspension Techniques sway bars tightened the car up really nicely. It corners so much more neutrally and fells so much more balanced. I carry so much more speed into corners than I used to.

Let me know if you are interested, because I know somebody who does excellent work (He also intsalled my Apexi world SPort exhaust, Pioneer Radio with Ipod adapter & sirius radio, and got my tires).

My '01 Milano Red Type SH has over 78,000 miles on it and drives so well. Just change the oil every 4K with FULL SYNTHETIC oil and you'll have years of fun with your Prelude.