Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

65/66 mustang the only stang worth a damn

Comments

• wnicholswnichols Posts: 42
    The '68 car had this "replacement" engine in it when he bought it. We do not know the reason.

Not all of us can afford the high price of an unrestored original or a restored classic. This was definitely my brother's case; the car was purchased when he was 14.

Likewise, my '73 is not completely stock. I don't worry too much about that, though. I just want to drive it, enjoy it and still be able to afford to own it.
  • dverespeydverespey Posts: 56
    Sounds like a stang that a friend had. The original 302 dropped a rod and he had a nice 351w lying around. If I remember the 351w fit nicely, where a 351 c would require a mess of alterations under the hood.
  • 7074970749 Posts: 1
    just bought a nice 65 coupe w/289/3spd & want to install power steering- know of any quality kits available- ford store says i have to buy by seperate parts- thanks, 70749
  • I just recently purchased a 66 coupe with pony interior and all #'s matching and only 83,000 miles, but have no papers on the car. I got the 289 to run last week and it runs beautiful. I was told by the seller that he bought it as a parts car because of the same issue. Is there anything that I can do about getting the paperwork?
  • rprogersrprogers Posts: 3
    I have a 66 Mustang with 289 and manual 3 speed trans. In the past 6 months the clutch has become so rough it shakes the whole car. I've had the clutch assy checked out (got a new disk), had the trans overhauled with new seals, bearings, and synchros, got a new trans mount, and it still shakes. Don't know what to do next. Any ideas?
    RP Rogers
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,678
    I'd say resurface the flywheel for openers...this is a typical Mustang problem.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I agree with shifty, start with the flywheel, then the clutch plate.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    Saw the new movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" last Saturday. It finished #1 at the box office. Anyway, there's a GREAT chase scene involving a '67 Shelby Mustang GT 500 and the police that has to be seen to be believed. It's near the end of the film, so you have to be patient and sit through the first hour and half. There are also some nice foreign sportscars, mostly owned by rich L.A. yuppies. The car chase though is worth the price of admission! I think it's almost as good as the one in Bullitt.
    Oh, Ah, A Mustang car chase. Life is good.

For you Mustang oglers, Ebay is a great place to check out cars. I usually waste an hour on Mondays just running down all the new ones for sale. Some really nice refurbished Mustangs. Of course, I have to hold my hand back from the mouse over the bid button, a la Dr Stranglove. Maybe after I get more garage space I'll have to buy another.......
    Would you really buy a collectible car on an online auction, sight unseen? I don't think I would, but I'd like to hear what others think.

• chris396chris396 Posts: 53
    I'm amazed at some of the prices that those cars sell for site unseen. As someone who looked at quite a few cars before purchasing mine, you'd be surprised what can be hidden in a picture. A car can look fantastic in a picture and be a pig when you see it in person.
    Oh, man you got that right! Of course, I'm pretty particular, so maybe people who buy online don't care about bondo and incorrect engines and all that if the price is right. I don't like to drive "crippled" cars myself...if they aren't really in top shape, it bothers me to have to nurse it along. I just can't imagine buying an old car on line unless I've inspected it or hired someone to do that.

• speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    I used to sell cars through Hemmings, and very few buyers flew out to inspect before they bought, so maybe buying on-line isn't all that different. I always wondered whether they got what they wanted--probably not, at least not after the honeymoon wore off and the reality of an unrestored 30-year-old car set in. I always tried to represent the cars accurately, but some terms are relative--what exactly is "clean"?
    Exactly...or "restored" or "rebuilt". Very loose terms depending on who you ask.

Who said buying? I look at it like a new issue of a car magazine every day.....and yes sight unseen there are some pretty ones, I havn't owned an old stang now in a number of years. It just gets the old desires up and running again.

I'm a pilot and aircraft owner, nothing is ever purchased used without a complete pre-purchase inspection. Cars, planes whatever.
    *especially* a plane! (at least with them the wrenchturner is supposed to be licensed).

• roadroachroadroach Posts: 131
    I'm currently in the process of resto-moding a '66 GT fastback. While deciphering the codes on the car, I came across the DSO code which is supposed to indicate where the car was shipped once it left the factory. Mine has a code of '89' which indicates it was for something called 'transportation services'. Anybody got a clue what that could be?
  • sdgrantsdgrant Posts: 12
    DSO 89 is the designation for special vehicles, factory show vehicles, other non-production destinations.

Previous posts talk about modifications to early classic Mustangs, but my '64½ Mustang is a genuine Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupe, one of 9 left in the world out of only 190 made. It's been restored to flawless condition, and modifications to this museum piece are not likely!
    Yes, the Pace Car replicas hardtops were given out to dealers, and are the rarest of the 1965 Mustangs. There really is no such thing as a 64 &1/2 Mustang, but hobbyists like to use the term to differentiate between early and late 1965 cars....the easiest way to tell the difference is that the first Mustangs had a generator and the later 65s an alternator.

Certainly I wouldn't modify that car either. Save the mods for the plain jane hardtops!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,465
    Didn't the 64 1/2's have the 260 ci engine, with the 289 in later 65's?

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

But what could have been special about my '66 Fastback way back when? Any way to find out?
    The "early '65" cars were built from March 5, 1964 through August 17, 1964. Initial engine choices were:

170 cubic inch straight 6 (U-code in the VIN)
    260 cubic inch V-8 2V (F-code in the VIN)
    289 cubic inch V-8 4V (D-code in the VIN)

About the second week of June, 1964, the first Hi-Po 289 engine (K-code in the VIN) was offered to the public.

DSO 89 fastback: If you can dig up your build sheet (under the carpet or wrapped around the wiring harness behind the dash) that would answer a lot of questions. What are the other codes on your warranty plate and your VIN number?
    The books show the DSO89 code as "Transportation Services" but no one explains what that means...rather annoying...the other codes are readily explained, such as 84= Home Office REserve, 85= American Red Cross and 90= Export.

thanks for the info...Ford launched the Mustang early to help generate that incredible publicity, but they list all Mustangs as 1965 cars, in spite of when they were made....uncommon practice then, but now we see this kind of thing all the time...pretty soon we'll be able to buy 2003 cars in 2001 at this rate!

Hey, that would be lucky to find the build sheet!

• jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    AMC is showing the movie again at 2:00 AM Eastern time this morning. I recorded it tonight at the earlier showing (8:00 PM Eastern). I still can't get over that GREAT chase scene. Somebody told me that Steve McQueen's car is a '67 Mustang GT, with a 427 engine. Is that true? The assasin's car is a '66 Dodge Charger, with a 440 Magnum.
    Unfortunately, the teardown process for the restoration did not reveal any buildsheets (under carpet, attached to bottom of seat, behind interior trim, wrapped around wiring harness, etc.) The car is currently a shell which has been stripped to bare metal, rust repaired, misc. bondo patches eradicated, etc. I think the interior was spiffed up in 1980 due to a short note and name written in pencil on the back of one of the interior door panels. I am currently attempting to track down the name.

The VIN is 6F09A###### (1966, made at Dearborn, fastback, 'A' code 289-4v engine)

Trim codes are: 63B body (fastback, luxery interior, bucket seats), Z color (sauterne gold), 68 trim (ivy gold and white interior), 07J date (made 7 September, 1965), 89 DSO (transportation services), 1 axle code (3.00:1 open diff), 6 trans (C-4 Cruise-o-matic).

Had it all figured but the 'transportation services' bit. BTW, the car is an original GT (fogs, dual exhaust trumpets, disk brakes, etc.) near as I can tell.
    I don't think the DSO code is very important other than for mere curiousity, so I wouldn't break my back on it if I were you. It has nothing to do with value or authenticity, as you know, so you may have learned as much as you need about it.

Good point. Curiousity was about the only thing driving this anyway. The car is certainly not going back stock anyway so why worry about it.
    From your data plate, it sounds like this could have been a special order for a Ford executive. GT, pony interior, all the right goodies for a pampered exec looking for a top-shelf Mustang. Did it have A/C? Other options, like styled-steel wheels, console? I'm a stock purist, so I would restore it to original, but I would do that with almost any car!

Is the hole in the dash face for the fog light switch "D"-shaped? That's a pretty good indication of a factory fog light set, which was a separate option but almost exclusively used with the GT package. Sauterne Gold is a pretty rare color on a GT, haven't seen one myself. It looks good when done well, but most Sauterne Gold cars I've seen are pretty faded. With the ivy gold/white pony interior, that would be a sharp combination!
    No A/C, no console. It does have the styled steel wheels and the high profile rally-pac. The rally-pac is painted ivy gold while the steering column is white. I thought they were supposed to match. I'll have to look at the dash tonight to check the hole for the fog-light switch. I got the car in '89 and all of the misc. GT stuff (lights, trumpets, stripes, emblems, brakes, etc.) looked like they had been on the car for QUITE some time.

I don't think I've ever seen Sauterne Gold fresh and new. When I got the car, the paint was in TERRIBLE shape and I hated the color. I've always liked the R code Ivy Green which was also available with the ivy gold/white interior. Needless to say, the car is now a lovely Ivy Green metallic.

Car also sports 4-wheel disk, T-5 trans, 4:11 9" trac-loc rear, rear panhard rod, over-rider traction bars, 5 leaf reverse-eye leaf springs, Koni's all around, tubular front a-arms dropped 1-1/2" with a negative wedge kit, subframe connectors, Shelby Pittman and idler arm, poly bushings, stiffer front sway bar, Boss 302 front springs cut 1", beefed-up shock towers, export brace, straight Monte Carlo bar, 15x7 Torque Thrust D's, 4-pt roll bar, racing harnesses, and a much massaged '68 mexican block 302. With the exception of being lowered and having the new rims, the car LOOKS pretty stock. I know you're probably crying about now, but a purist, I ain't.
    Well, you two guys are in different situations, with one car pretty rare and the other collectible but certainly not scarce or irreplacable, so I think personally you're both doing the right thing here.

This discussion has been closed.