Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Climate Control

Comments

• aboo155aboo155 Posts: 2
    i'm trying to swap the manual climate control in 2001 silverado over to automatic climate control. Does anyone know if this is possible, and where I would get the parts to do it?
  • biggtbiggt Posts: 4
    I have never tried this. I just replaced my manual climate control unit. I would assume if you have an automatic unit with the same wiring interface, you could swap them. Most of the "brains" of the auto unit shoudl be self-contained.

good luck
  • zulalazulala Posts: 1
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab 5.3. If I start my truck with the thermostat dial set on cold (far left), the AC works great. If I turn the thermostat to the right (full heat) for even a second, and then go back to cold (far left), it continues to put out full heat no matter what the settings. Blower works fine on all five settings. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the temperature selector on the dash.

Any help much appreciated

Alan
  • jarmstrojarmstro Posts: 1
    I have a 95 chevy truck and the clutch is out on the AC compressor. Is this something the average Joe can replace? I bought a replacement part already and now I'm wondering how to replace it.
  • brs2brs2 Posts: 1
    I have the same year make and model truck. My ac blows sometimes and won't blow on any level other times. Did you get your ac fixed and was it the fan relay switch?
    Is this switch in the dash?
    Is it hard to replace yourself?
    thanks for any help you can give me,
    TEXAS HEAT
  • biggtbiggt Posts: 4
    My problem was the fan only blew on high, AC or heat. Sounds like you have an more "intermitent" problem. Try these two things:

1) Replace fan relay switch behind the glove box. Black square box 1"x1", with a 4 wire housing connector.

2) Replace the blower motor resisitor. Below glove box, at feet, attached to the top of the air duct, right next to the blower motor.

These are easy fixes and most good parts stores have them in stock. I used PepBoys and Fischers. Good luck!

BTW, my fan works perfect now.
  • firestinefirestine Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 with 240k that runs great, but needs a little work.

One issue I am trying to solve is that the vents only work on defrost. I don't hear anything when I switch it to the front vents or any other setting. What could this be caused by? Is it the AC control head or something else under the dash?

More importantly, I have no heat or AC coming out of the defrost vents. Where should I start to diagnose this problem?

Any leads or direction would be much appreciated. The Chilton's/Haynes manuals offer no guidance here.
  • firestinefirestine Posts: 2
    Okay, I found an actuator on the driver's side that appears to control the vents. A plastic part connecting the actuator to the shaft is broken off, leaving the actuator hanging. Now that I know where it is, I'm set.

On the other issue, the hoses leading into the firewall and the heater box are hot, leading me to believe that the problem may be with a blend door. I saw another actuator behind the dashboard on the passenger side. Does this actuator control a door allowing air to enter the heater box? Could the actuator be bad or could something be blocking the door?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'd like to know what I'm getting into when I tear the sucker apart. Thanks!
  • 200448200448 Posts: 4
    Help, I have a 2004 4.8, and while driving(hot or cold) the air turns to heat and nothing will stop it until the engine restarts. This is happenning almost daily now, which is bad since it is summer.
  • le7jale7ja Posts: 1
    If anyone has a fix to this problem let me know, because my 2005 Yukon started doing a similar thing a week ago. I have tri-climate in the car and with the AC on the drivers air is hot and the other two zones are cold. Like the above post mine resets after turning the car off and back on. Conveniently the warranty has expired 2,000 miles ago. Sounds like some kind of relay tripping or getting stuck but reseting itself on restart(Just like the Longbow).
  • elfonsecaelfonseca Posts: 1
    can anyone offer a solution to a knocking sound coming from a vent at the bottom of my heater box? It happens every time I turn the ignition on or off and when I turn on the A/C.
  • Ok... I wish I could add a solution to some of your problems on here... but I can't, so I'll just add my own problem...

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3 extended cab. About a month ago I noticed that the AC would only blow cold air at higher speeds, above 40 mph. I recharged the system, that didn't help any. Now yesterday, of all days (it's hit 90 degrees here in MA yesterday), it starts to blow hot air all the time.

I see some similar problems on this thread, has anyone come close to finding a fix for this... ????? Just a thought, as I know alot of dealerships will probably say "we will have to see it before we can tell you what's wrong with it", but has anyone tried asking a dealership about this problem..?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions,
    Tony...
  • I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 04 CHEVY SILVERADO. The a/c is cold when more air is flowing through the engine or the rpm's are higher. I did some net surfing to find out the the trailblazer has a similar problem. The fan clutch needs to be replaced. Alalso wondering if thats the problem with the silverado. or do i need to replace my clutch fan with an eletric fan. If any one can help please do.
  • My ac stopped working properly. 1-4 on the control panel work fine, but when i turn the knob to 5 it shuts off. Its like i might as well of turned it off. When i turn it back to 4 or lower it works fine. Whats going on?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    That's because a diode stopped functioning in the a/c control panel...or was that resistor...nope I believe it was diode.
  • So I look on ebay or something and get a new control panel and be done with it?
    That's exactly what I did. The panel is easy to replace. Plug and play. The diode is easy and much cheaper if you are handy with a soldering iron and are familiar with Radio Shack. In fact that's how the dealer would repair it.

While searching for a replacement on ebay make sure you do not get the panel for the Denali or Escalade. I thought it was a good idea to get it since those have variable fan settings...something like 15 making for more fan speed choices and looks identical to the one in the Silverado. Course when I pulled the one in the Silverado, the plug configuration was not the same. Lucky for me I also have a Denali.
  • I have an extended cab '99 silverado and my vents all of a sudden quit working. The fan is blowing fine but no air comes out of the front vents, and very little from the defrost vents. There is more air from the floor and in the back seat the vents work fine. What would be causing this?

I also had a similar problem to someone else on here, saying that there 5 setting would not work, but on the 4 setting the AC worked fine. However, the next day everything is back to normal, so I guess I'll leave that for now being this no longer seems to be a problem.

If anyone could help me out here, that would be great.
  • metal81metal81 Posts: 1
    I have an '03 xcab...dual climate control system...even with fan on high air just barely blows through vents...it's cold air just not forceful...any replies appreciated :confuse:
  • You sound like you know what your talking about. My '05 Z-71 is doing the same thing, are you sure it is a diode in the switch? If so, is it easy to get to? I can fix it if it's easy to get to, sometimes they hide those things, just to see how tenacious, or stupid, you are. 79 cents and an hour and a half sounds better than $200 to $300. By the way, my wifes '03 suburban had the same problem, electronic control, $6oo to repair it! ebay replacement $125. 1hour of time.
    thanks for the help!!
    From what I've read in the forums its a no brainer since you already know how to remove the control unit. I believe there are a couple of screws on the backside which allow you access to where the diodes are located and a simple solder job to do it.
  • thanks, I'll try it this weekend if I have time and let you know how long it takes.
  • wynnsomwynnsom Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado A/C problem. The compressor cycles on and off very fast. It does blow cold but not long enough to cool the cab, inside temp is 120 a/c cools down to 80. System appears to be full. Can you Help?
    "The compressor cycles on and off very fast."

Do you mean it cycles frequently? That usually means its low on R-134a.
  • wynnsomwynnsom Posts: 2
    The compressor cycles on then you can count to 15 then it cycles off and then on and then off all the time the ac is on.
  • snmfeesnmfee Posts: 2
    Are there vareations to the ACM on modles? My AC quit after I fixed the High on fan relay. Burned up wire connector. If ACM goes out will it stop dampers from changing and not trun on AC relay under hood?
  • jdebordjdebord Posts: 1
    So this just happened to me I believe in my 2005 Silverado. I was driving down the interstate, and when I pulled off the truck started blowing really hot air and the controls still said the A/C was on.

Fired it back in this morning and the A/C was working...any solution? I'll post back if I find anything.
  • No joy, switched the control unit, same problem. Next step is to check the blower resistor module. Did some more research and this is a common problem. Part is cheap, $35.00 on line, GM even manufactured an upgraded version in early '06. After I go through all of this I'll get back to you, won't be til after labor day.
  • grampy1grampy1 Posts: 140
    2004 GMC Manual says truck may,or may not have a cabin air filter. Kind of a dumb statement,but i'm wondering if it has one where it is. Truck has AC