Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Climate Control

Comments

• dmoshdmosh Posts: 3
    After driving in snow my heater blower does not work the next morning.
    It appears to thaw out from engine heat after several hours - not really sure.
    Drove briefly this morning in snow - now blower does not work again.
    Anybody else experienced this.

Blows snow when on defrost too!! Not good
  • My dealer fixed my draft on the passenger side by resealing the cold air intake for the heater. I beleive they removed the windsheild cowl cover and wiper arms to get at it. I could not see that they did anything inside the cab. It only cost me $112. Hope this helps.
  • c64usc64us Posts: 1
    My problem is a little different from those posted here. I have 2002 2500HD LT, Duramax, with climate control. My AC will work great when it is hot out, but when is is cold, and the windows are fogged up, I cannot get the AC to come on. When I push the AC button it will blink a couple of times then shut off. I would like the AC to come on to help with de-fog. Any suggestions?
  • jborgojborgo Posts: 1
    I was having the same problem with my 2004 2500 Silverado and the dealer replaced the controller along with a modulating valve. I was told the controller was not sending the signal to the valve. Then after the controller was sending the signal the valve was not responding. This is working normal however I have an interment problem sometimes un-commanded hot or cold air starts coming from one side vents only. Going back to the dealer next week.
  • Thanks for the info. I knew something had to be leaking somewhere, and I couldn't find it just looking under the hood or in the cab. It might just be worth a $100 bucks or so to have the dealer take it apart.

What gets me is, there seems to be a lot of people with this particular problem. But if you take it to a dealer, they act like they've never heard of it! Thanks again for your help.
  • A plastic or some type of composite sleeve has broken on end of the heater core where the hose connects.

I have been unable to find out from dealers or part stores whether or not this piece is actually a part of the heater core or if this is something that can be purchased separately. Actually I haven't found anyone yet that is familiar with this piece.

Would you happen to know what this is called,? and whether it can be purchased separately or if it is actually a part of the heater core?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Are you writing about an off white cylindrical shaped clip that depresses to release the hose from the heater core?

If so it is sold seperately from the heater core.
  • ZULALA, I have the same problem in a 2001 -- did you find out what was causing the problem. I would surely appreciate help if you found any.

If I ever turn dial to the hot side - It stays hot "full hot" and will not change... The AC - - everything blows Hot only regardless what I try.
    RDT
  • I just wanted to ask if you found an answer to the all hot or nothing you described here.... I have a 2001 that does the same thing.... If you turn the "hot" control - that is all you get - and you can't turn it off. It has done the same, in that, I have shut it down and everything work when I started it up a few minutes later... I have not seen or heard anyone that actually figured out the problem - and surely would appreciate learning what and how to fix it -- if anyone knows.

Thanks
    RDT
  • Good News! I have a 2001 and finally got this one figured out with the help of my local mechanic.(the dealership never could diagnose the problem) The operation of the lower actuator that opens and closes the the blend door was intermittent.When it would stop in an open position the heat from the heater core would continue to pour in and make it unbearable. Shutting off your vehicle would resetw the actuator to it's home position. This also explains why my AC wasn't always cooling efficiently during the summer months. The actuator costs about $65. To access the actuator remove the air box cover underneath the dash and it is located just to the right of the console. Piece of cake! Hope this helps.
  • This is a common problem on Chevy and GMC 2000 and on model years. Flushing the entire cooling system will not get to the "Core" of the problem. Try removing the heater hoses and backflush your heater core with a garden hose. Unless it's completely plugged up, which it doesn't sound like, the pressure from the garden hose should be enough to clean it out take care of your problem.
  • Hi.. I see you got your heat prob. handled on the 2001; does your truck have the auto or manual climate control? Dual side climate control? I have poor, intermittent heat, but is very confusing, with auto and dual climate controls on my 2003.

thx, 24wick
  • My 2001 is a manual knob for single climate control.
  • My 2001 Silverado 1500 leeks cold air on right side of vehicle. I live in a cold climate and the leaking air is unbearable for a passenger. What can I do? Has anyone had the problem?
  • dmoshdmosh Posts: 3
    My 2007 does the same thing - if you need defogging the AC is designed not to work. Need air or heat.

It is probably logical. Cold air from the AC will condense moisture in saturated air causing more fogging.
  • Message # 95 of 109 diagnoses this problem you identified with the cold air on the passenger side.
  • The AC should work in hot or cold weather with the setting on heat or cool. The one thing the AC will not allow is for the air to be on recirculating instead of fresh air when the selector is on Defrost. Just for the purpose of not putting moisture already in the car up to the window where it might condense. I use the AC all the time in the winter, on Hot and Defrost, to clear the window when the is alot of moisture in the car from the snow on the floor mats, the kids clothes and general perspiration. Good luck.
  • The AC should work in hot or cold weather with the setting on heat or cool. The one thing the AC will not allow is for the air to be on recirculating instead of fresh air when the selector is on Defrost. Just for the purpose of not putting moisture already in the car up to the window where it might condense. I use the AC all the time in the winter, on Hot and Defrost, to clear the window when the is alot of moisture in the car from the snow on the floor mats, the kids clothes and general perspiration. Good luck.
  • I have a 2001 gmc sierra i was told to change the control panel it is all one piece it control's the heat and cold , i also have the same problem, when i turn on heat later i try the ac and it did'nt work ,it worked a few times now it don't turn on at all, it show's the ac is on but it does not work
  • cam988cam988 Posts: 2
    2000 silv. z71--my heat control locks up in the hot position if turned past the mid way point on the blend knob--#2 fan sounds as if blowing fine in all 5 positions,but little to no airflow coming out of vents, was wondering if my vehic. may have filters and if so if they could be glogged up restricting the airflow?--#3 i am also having the cold feet problem on passenger side tired of hearing my wife complain--lol, would appreciate any help, and if filters might be prob. would appreciate a discription of where they are and how to get to them. thanks
    The filters are located directly above your wife's feet. Assuming you've never changed them They are probably clogged and hopefully not mold infected.

You can probably get a new controller on ebay. To change it takes about 10 minutes. You can get the a/c filters on ebay also and those take about 10 minutes to change too.
  • Thanks so much for the information. And thank your mechanic for me as well. Does anyone know why the dealers have no clue about this problem? Thanks again. Ed
  • serickserick Posts: 2
    My local dealer fixed cold air leek. They told me that the gasket between the heater and the fire wall is inadequate. The removed the gasket and sealed with silicone. This has fixed the problem.
  • I have a 2000 silverado that blows cold air
    intermitently while the heat is on. I've replaced
    the thermostat and flushed out the heater core,
    no apparent blockage. Anyone have any ideas
    where I should look next ?
  • cam988cam988 Posts: 2
    thinks for the help---i am an ase certified mechanic but had never heard of the heppa filters in the ac,also good on the actuator, i guess i will have to find a schematic for the heater seal, thanks for all the help.
  • Where the heck would i be looking for the low side on the AC system so I can add R-34? My AC will not kick on and I am pretty sure I'm low on freon.
    That would be the valve closest to the firewall.
  • Thanks. I saw two valves there but they somehow did not look right to me. I put my gauge on the one farthest out. So, as I'm thinking about it, I dont know what else the other one would be for except for the recharge valve. Thanks again.
  • canam2canam2 Posts: 3
    My a/c only blows cold air on the passenger side, and constantly blows hot air on drives side. I am assuming it is the blend door actuator. Is there a way to physicaly see if it is not working? Or am I just going to have to replace it. Also how likely is it that there could be something wrong with the blend door iteself or something lodged in there? Also as I was digging around I noticed my HVAC assembly (big black box) is cracked behind the glove box, Would this be causing my problems?
    When you say "hot" do you mean heated air? or uncooled air from the exterior of the vehicle?